ADVERTISEMENT

If WSU had their own protest and knelt during the Anthem

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
would you protest by not attending games as our President suggested? I know when he gave that speech it was in Alabama, I wonder if those in the audience he was playing to would sit out and not watch an Auburn or Alabama game.

would you protest by not attending games as our President suggested? I know when he gave that speech it was in Alabama, I wonder if those in the audience he was playing to would sit out and not watch an Auburn or Alabama game.
I would not do anything this president suggested

Reactions: froropmkr72

I would suggest that everyone get over themselves and quit worrying about the kneeling in the first place. From my perspective, there is way too much butthurt being expressed by way too many people about something that doesn't really have anything to do with them and has zero impact on their lives. Let's focus on enjoying the competition on the field and less about what people do on the sidelines before, during and after games.

I would suggest that everyone get over themselves and quit worrying about the kneeling in the first place. From my perspective, there is way too much butthurt being expressed by way too many people about something that doesn't really have anything to do with them and has zero impact on their lives. Let's focus on enjoying the competition on the field and less about what people do on the sidelines before, during and after games.

Please shut up on this issue.

No.
Damn.
Politics.
On.
This.
Board.
Please.

This is a football board. Thanks.
Question probably less about politics and more about what outside of bad coaching and record would cause you and others to miss watching a game. I find it hard to believe for example the folks in Alabama where football is a religion that they would allow anything outside of a natural disaster to prevent them from watching football.

Did people who rooted for Bama stop watching in mass protesting Wilbur Young as the first black football player to suit up for the Crimson Tide?

In terms of the political aspect of it all, I understand those who get highly offended when a player does not stand for the Anthem. I also get the other side of the coin as well. I probably always error the side where people died for the honor of free speech.

To paraphrase another president...
"Mr. Moderator, tear down this thread!"

No.
Damn.
Politics.
On.
This.
Board.
Please.

This is a football board. Thanks.
A discussion about kneeling IS about football. Its affecting the game. The entire pre-game is about the kneeling. Every sports show is talking about the kneeling. They talk about the kneeling at half time. During post-game. THE WHOLE FCKING SPORT IS KNEELING RIGHT NOW.

Which is hilarious because the only thing kneeling is drawing attention to is kneeling, but don't bother telling the players or anyone defending the kneeling that, because then you're racist.

I don't care about kneeling. I'm more pissed that the entire nation is up in arms over it and its ruining my enjoyment of the sport. IF it came to college, it'd ruin that as well. Just like Barber and the supposed protest that was going to happen among the players - cooler heads prevailed and they did the RIGHT thing that didn't distract from the sport OR the message.

I'm sorry you think this is a political issue, because while that is what kneeling is supposed to be drawing attention to (a political issue), I'll reiterate: kneeling is drawing attention to kneeling.

Reactions: kayak15
A discussion about kneeling IS about football. Its affecting the game. The entire pre-game is about the kneeling. Every sports show is talking about the kneeling. They talk about the kneeling at half time. During post-game. THE WHOLE FCKING SPORT IS KNEELING RIGHT NOW.

Which is hilarious because the only thing kneeling is drawing attention to is kneeling, but don't bother telling the players or anyone defending the kneeling that, because then you're racist.

I don't care about kneeling. I'm more pissed that the entire nation is up in arms over it and its ruining my enjoyment of the sport. IF it came to college, it'd ruin that as well. Just like Barber and the supposed protest that was going to happen among the players - cooler heads prevailed and they did the RIGHT thing that didn't distract from the sport OR the message.

I'm sorry you think this is a political issue, because while that is what kneeling is supposed to be drawing attention to (a political issue), I'll reiterate: kneeling is drawing attention to kneeling.
Bingo. Give the young man a cigar. The original intent of taking a knee or sitting out the national anthem was to protest the perception- accurate or not- that American police forces were a bit quick on the trigger when dealing with young black males. As with most righteous causes this one has picked up debris as it has evolved and now has gone off the intended rails. The "Black Lives Matter", "Blue Lives Matter", "All Lives Matter" points of view have been abandoned and we are well into the silly territory. It is now, as BC&G posited all about kneeling with little or no mention or thought of the purpose of the kneeling.

If I was Goodell, I'd have some balls and say he's going not have any players on the field for respect of our country and flag if the owners can't get their guys under control.

It's a complete disrespect to our men and women that have fought for this country, it's symbol (the flag) and what it truly means to be patriotic.

Football is a game...these guys are well paid...and it others didn't fight for this flag and this country, they might not be playing the game they are getting paid dearly to do.

So just how effective will sitting on their asses during the anthem be stopping Darnold and USC from kicking our asses? Didn't think so...

If Trump tweeted that turkey sandwiches were better than ham sandwiches... and some disagreed, would that debate be political? No. And neither is this. It's a social issue directly tied to football. Unfortunately the bigger underlying issue that the kneeling was supposed to be bringing to light is getting lost in the firestorm of the Anthem issue. Having said that, I see no constructive reason to discuss on this forum. Huge game this weekend.

Bingo. Give the young man a cigar. The original intent of taking a knee or sitting out the national anthem was to protest the perception- accurate or not- that American police forces were a bit quick on the trigger when dealing with young black males. As with most righteous causes this one has picked up debris as it has evolved and now has gone off the intended rails. The "Black Lives Matter", "Blue Lives Matter", "All Lives Matter" points of view have been abandoned and we are well into the silly territory. It is now, as BC&G posited all about kneeling with little or no mention or thought of the purpose of the kneeling.
It was interesting as Mike Leach was quoted in the Seattle Times along similar lines. He didn't know what they were protesting.

In truth, you are correct, the original message was drowned out by the "show of support" this past weekend. I am not being cynical but the owners and management would have been better off showing that support before the tweets.

Now it becomes one mega millionaire getting their panties in a knot because another mega millionaire called them out and "TOLD" them what they should do. People with that power don't like to be told what to do and don't like anyone tarnishing the shield.

If I was Goodell, I'd have some balls and say he's going not have any players on the field for respect of our country and flag if the owners can't get their guys under control.

It's a complete disrespect to our men and women that have fought for this country, it's symbol (the flag) and what it truly means to be patriotic.

Football is a game...these guys are well paid...and it others didn't fight for this flag and this country, they might not be playing the game they are getting paid dearly to do.
First, why does money become a factor in this equation? And what happens if that isn't really the definition of being a Patriot? What if what I or others believe may be as sacred. What if one believes that is why so many people died in the pursuit to be able to demonstrate in a civil manner. What if one believe believes in the right of free speech and that is what the flag stands for?

This is a legit question---what if the players didn't kneel, they didn't sit, but they squatted or bent over at the waist but still had eyes on the flag. Would that be acceptable in your eyes?

Goodell doesn't dictate to the owners. He works for the owners.

A Navy Seal came up with kneeling in order to peacefully protest and not disrespect the flag or the men and women who served our country. I have wondered how exactly does the act of kneeling disrespect the military or is unpatriotic?

The "getting paid" aspect is ridiculous. You are essentially saying because they are getting paid millions they should be quiet and check their rights at the door to those very freedoms and rights the men and women of the military fought for? That just doesn't make any sense to me and it seems to run counter to the foundation of our country and is in fact unpatriotic.

You may not agree with me and I may not agree with you but you have every right to express your viewpoint. We aren't perfect as a nation but our rights and freedoms are what makes this country the greatest nation in the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: random soul

A Navy Seal came up with kneeling in order to peacefully protest and not disrespect the flag or the men and women who served our country. I have wondered how exactly does the act of kneeling disrespect the military or is unpatriotic?

The "getting paid" aspect is ridiculous. You are essentially saying because they are getting paid millions they should be quiet and check their rights at the door to those very freedoms and rights the men and women of the military fought for? That just doesn't make any sense to me and it seems to run counter to the foundation of our country and is in fact unpatriotic.

You may not agree with me and I may not agree with you but you have every right to express your viewpoint. We aren't perfect as a nation but our rights and freedoms are what makes this country the greatest nation in the world.
I would hope the people with the money, power and forum would speak for those who do not.

Reactions: Fab5Coug

In general I have no issues with the protests. I will say that the players, while having the right to protest, do not enjoy freedom of speach during their work. At least they are not protected from negative employer impacts. Much like I can say anything I want at work, but could be fired if I violated the policies of my employer.

I do think the overall message has been lost and the conversation has been stifled by rhetoric from all sides of the issue(s). I think Leach has it correct in stating you wont find a bunch of folks "for". Police abuses etc.

It would be nice if we could have these conversations as a nation, but in todays world of inflammatory remarks instead of thoughtful responses I am not sure it will happen. I think the ideals of "most" people are not that far appart, but we continue to let the fringe elements guide the talking points to the destruction of actual dialogue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT