ADVERTISEMENT

I'm picking the Cougs to "stun" a lot of people this year...

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
Outside of QB question mark, with 3 guys who talent-wise are pretty good on paper, I don't see a huge drop off from last season.

if we shore up our defense -- i'm confident we will (think about the coaching situation last year) -- I think we have some reason to be optimistic.

UW and Oregon go down in Pullman. Weather will be a factor and Borghi gets a huge load behind an improved offensive line, with an improved line scheme.

Outside of QB question mark, with 3 guys who talent-wise are pretty good on paper, I don't see a huge drop off from last season.

if we shore up our defense -- i'm confident we will (think about the coaching situation last year) -- I think we have some reason to be optimistic.

UW and Oregon go down in Pullman. Weather will be a factor and Borghi gets a huge load behind an improved offensive line, with an improved line scheme.

4 solid receivers, a big time back, some returners on the OL with enough bodies coming up that finding 2 more shouldnt be tough.... with a new QB that has a run game behind him and 4 solid receivers down field.

Assuming Rolo can call smart plays and coach kids up, the offense will surprise people. Hell, Rolo was 2-1 against the PAC 12 last year with less talent. Should be 7-0 this year.

I'll stay at 2 wins - and Coach gets a pass this year unless he demonstrates the uncanny ability to pull defeat from the jaws of victory with bad decisions !

Can we run the fball once in a while, PLEASE ?!?!

This is a wild card year with all of the uncertainty. Early on in the CFB season I think it’s evident some teams handled it well and some didn’t. I’ve had some fun with LSU at the expense of those overreacting to the first game...but LSU has no business being 1-2 with the talent they stockpile. It’s an indictment on team leadership. I sure hope this team has some solid leaders because this is the type of year it could make a huge difference in the W-L column. Hard to say what we will see.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Good point, 90. Leadership varies from year to year on the team, and coaching also varies from year to year as younger staff learn and others move on. No doubt that better leadership leads to better results. We won't know much on that point until the rubber meets the road...

We are returning the in-conference worst defense, we have a new offense, new QB, and an OL that needs to learn anew traditional run blocking. I hope for the best, but don't expect it. Leach is a smart man, he wouldn't bolt if he thought he had a championship contender in the near future.

I'm very noncommittal on this season in general. I don't think it's going to be a great sample size for what we'll have going forward. No spring ball, limited fall camp, half a season of games, new coaching staff. If things go well I'll be pleased, but I'm not expecting a lot. Next year will tell us a lot more about where this train is headed

The first game will tell us all we need to know, OSU is on the rise, do they rise above us this year?. Does the defense improve, do we have a QB that can run the offense? The tools are in place on the offense, if the defense just stays in place it will be better, they were poorly coached last year. The DC left in the middle of the year, and I have to believe there was very little agreement on how to defend a team among the coaches. If you saw games in person last year, there were many times on defense, right after the ball was snapped, where one half of the field was completely defenseless. I am hoping for the best, but as Random said, no spring, limited fall, new coaches, the deck is stacked against this team. It will take great coaching and great effort from the team to overcome that. But as a Coug Fan I am always optimistic, until proven otherwise.

4 solid receivers, a big time back, some returners on the OL with enough bodies coming up that finding 2 more shouldnt be tough.... with a new QB that has a run game behind him and 4 solid receivers down field.

Assuming Rolo can call smart plays and coach kids up, the offense will surprise people. Hell, Rolo was 2-1 against the PAC 12 last year with less talent. Should be 7-0 this year.
lffg1fumz7f51.jpg

The first game will tell us all we need to know, OSU is on the rise, do they rise above us this year?. Does the defense improve, do we have a QB that can run the offense? The tools are in place on the offense, if the defense just stays in place it will be better, they were poorly coached last year. The DC left in the middle of the year, and I have to believe there was very little agreement on how to defend a team among the coaches. If you saw games in person last year, there were many times on defense, right after the ball was snapped, where one half of the field was completely defenseless. I am hoping for the best, but as Random said, no spring, limited fall, new coaches, the deck is stacked against this team. It will take great coaching and great effort from the team to overcome that. But as a Coug Fan I am always optimistic, until proven otherwise.

Roses, I'm not sure if game 1 will tell us all we need to know, but it will certainly tell us a lot. And starting with OSU will put much of what we see in good context. As has been said at length by all on this board, we have a lot of assets and the cupboard is not bare. But we also did not get the normal time to install new systems, nor does the game schedule this year resemble anything in the past in terms of starting right off with league games...no "tune up" games this year. What I think the first game or two will reveal is how good our coaching staff is, because the circumstances make this a coaching challenge unlike anything we (or the staff) has ever seen before. Difficult in many ways, but not necessarily brutally hard; without question it is certainly different; and different circumstances usually require a broader and more adaptable skill set. We will find out how broad a skill set and how adaptable our staff is after just 1 or 2 games.

Roses, I'm not sure if game 1 will tell us all we need to know, but it will certainly tell us a lot. And starting with OSU will put much of what we see in good context. As has been said at length by all on this board, we have a lot of assets and the cupboard is not bare. But we also did not get the normal time to install new systems, nor does the game schedule this year resemble anything in the past in terms of starting right off with league games...no "tune up" games this year. What I think the first game or two will reveal is how good our coaching staff is, because the circumstances make this a coaching challenge unlike anything we (or the staff) has ever seen before. Difficult in many ways, but not necessarily brutally hard; without question it is certainly different; and different circumstances usually require a broader and more adaptable skill set. We will find out how broad a skill set and how adaptable our staff is after just 1 or 2 games.

I think I'm more in agreement with cr8zy here. The first game in this season will not necessarily tell us everything we need to know.

With the weird off-season, no spring ball, delayed fall camp, etc, etc, this team will have a lot of growing and evolving to do over the course of the season. I wouldn't necessarily expect the product on the field at the start of the seven games to reflect what we see in the final couple of games.

In fact, what I am looking for mostly this season is continued growth and improvement over the course of the seven games. If we avoid injuries that decimate what depth we have, I hope to see an improving team that holds hope for the future, regardless of how we start.

Thinking specifically of Oregon State and its potential to be the predictor of the season:

The game last year was essentially a draw, and that was with a strong offense, and late in the season.

Offensively, both teams replace their QB. OSU's likely starter doesn't have much experience, WSU's has none. OSU also lost their leading rusher, their best receiver and TE. They still have Jermar Jefferson (who is arguably more dangerous than Pierce was). WSU has the edge at RB and WR, but they're learning a new offense and didn't have spring ball. OSU retained their HC and most of their staff, and has the same system coming back. Since it's the first game of the season, that probably gives OSU a bit of an edge on offense.

Both teams had terrible defense, and had similar attrition. Not really likely that either of them gets worse, although I think our secondary losses may be a bigger blow. OSU retains most of its coaching staff and system. Theoretically should improve just based on continuity. WSU has new staff, which hopefully results in improvement based on consistency...but again, we're changing systems without much practice. Probably have to give a slight edge to OSU again.

And, it's at OSU.

Bottom line, I'm not sure this game really tells us much (provided it's not a blowout). Both sides have enough handicaps that it's hard to say it has that much meaning. This is the kind of game I would have preferred as a conference opener after 2-3 non-conference warm up games.

If you listen to Abe, the kids are high on our new offensive line coach and scheme. Abe's an NFL talent and i see us just running Borghi a whole lot. I also think Rolo and staff are going to play to their strengths, and not be stubborn to their scheme, which frankly cost Leach a bit.

(Note: a solid offensive line scheme, that knows how to run block, can mow over UW's 3 man front and get Borghi 5+ yards a carry).

95 I agree with everything you said. I personally think OSU will have a pretty good team this year. And I'd like to think the Cougs improve as the season goes on. I do believe OSU should be favored, and a Coug win would be a pleasant surprise. That's why I think the OSU game tells a lot, a Coug win leads to what could be a decent year. A loss and it's hoping for improvement and hoping for better games, but an 0-2 start is likely, Oregon at home is even tougher with no crowd, and we wait until next year which is where all the preseason predicts fall in. The deck is stacked against this team, and we have covered all those reasons, how they coach and how the players respond to that adversity will be interesting.

If you listen to Abe, the kids are high on our new offensive line coach and scheme. Abe's an NFL talent and i see us just running Borghi a whole lot. I also think Rolo and staff are going to play to their strengths, and not be stubborn to their scheme, which frankly cost Leach a bit.

(Note: a solid offensive line scheme, that knows how to run block, can mow over UW's 3 man front and get Borghi 5+ yards a carry).

Teams will have to load the box to defend MB if he gets 20 carries+ per game. The 3 man rush with LBs that play like safeties could be ending soon. MB with 100+ yards on the ground will ruin that scheme.

Agree Biggs. With a talent like Borghi, and a decent run/pass QB, I can see this offense exploding. I anticipate a whole lot of misdirection, and keeping the defense on it's heals. Based on experience, I think Camm's the man, but i feel like we should be okay on QB play here. Also, big note: No fans will make it easier for the QB to adjust this season.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Agree Biggs. With a talent like Borghi, and a decent run/pass QB, I can see this offense exploding. I anticipate a whole lot of misdirection, and keeping the defense on it's heals. Based on experience, I think Camm's the man, but i feel like we should be okay on QB play here. Also, big note: No fans will make it easier for the QB to adjust this season.

Coop or Cruz.... both can run, just sayin’...

I'm an optimist by nature but we have a lot to overcome this year. We don't have a QB and the WR's are learning a new offense. The line is learning an entirely new blocking scheme. I think defenses will be comfortable making sure Borghi doesn't beat them. I think we'll see a spike in turnovers due to QB and WR not being on the same page and due to Rolo cycling through guys trying to find the hot hand. We should score a decent amount of points though.

Defensively everyone is learning a new scheme. More man for DB's without ideal size. Taylor and Stone playing DE with hands in the dirt. Two tackles rather than one nose. I'm not sure the team has the right personnel to play the scheme Dickert wants to run long term.

I'm viewing this year as a long spring football session to figure out who is worth keeping around and who needs to move on. Fortunately we aren't at risk of losing many players to the NFL after this year.

I'm not sure Borghi can withstand 20 carries/game plus the work he'll get in the passing game. If we're gonna go heavy like that, we'll need McIntosh to make big strides and see a lot of action. Not many SEC or Big10 RB's see 20 carries/game.

I'm not sure Borghi can withstand 20 carries/game plus the work he'll get in the passing game. If we're gonna go heavy like that, we'll need McIntosh to make big strides and see a lot of action. Not many SEC or Big10 RB's see 20 carries/game.

Patrol, you raise a couple of points, which leads to a few thoughts.

- I'd view Max getting 20 carries as a quality problem to have. We would only be going that big if it was working.
- I agree that if he is getting 20 carries and running patterns on the rest of the plays for a whole game, he will be pooped. That means using a few more 2 back sets and some reps for McIntosh when in a 1 back set. Either way, McIntosh gets more touches if we think Max might actually get close to 20 carries.
- If Max is even getting 15 carries per game, the D has to respect a fake handoff to him. That freezes the LB's until they know for sure if he took the ball, or not. It has been so many years since that was a possibility at WSU that I've almost forgotten what that means in terms of opening up passing lanes.
- Finally, does anybody know how often Rolo uses a 2 back set that puts one RB in motion as a receiver pre-snap? That would seem to be tailor made to Max & McIntosh. And again, if we fake a run it freezes at least one defender and possibly 2...while one RB is in motion...I'd love to see how that plays out.

I'm guessing its going to be more like 12-15...which I'm fine with.

I don't think the run and shoot passes to their backs nearly as much as the air raid.

If you want the passing game to get better you cant throw to the back 15 times per game. You run the back to open up the field for the receivers.

Why wouldnt MB be able to handle 20 carries??? He hasnt had 20 carries the past two seasons combined. He is rested.

If you want the passing game to get better you cant throw to the back 15 times per game. You run the back to open up the field for the receivers.

Why wouldnt MB be able to handle 20 carries??? He hasnt had 20 carries the past two seasons combined. He is rested.
If MB's got "the stuff" to get to the next level, then shouldn't he be able to handle 20 carries?

I’m not saying he can’t do it, but 20 carries in college game, in an offense like the RAS, is rare. I went through all the games last weekend and only found a few guys who had 20+ carries.

I think a more reasonable expectation is 15 carries for Borghi and another 5 for McIntosh.

I’m not saying he can’t do it, but 20 carries in college game, in an offense like the RAS, is rare. I went through all the games last weekend and only found a few guys who had 20+ carries.

I think a more reasonable expectation is 15 carries for Borghi and another 5 for McIntosh.

Let Max run. Dont limit his awesome.

Max can take 20 carries a game. He won’t be getting 10 targets in the passing game like he was in Leachs offense. Two things...if Borghi imagines himself as an NFL player, which Id assume he does, he wants 20 carries a game. 2. When your best player is your RB he should be getting 20 carries a game.

If the QB situation was settled, and the receivers knew the coverage reads, then I'd expect to lean on the running back less. But the run and shoot is going to look terrible at times this year because passes are going to go places receivers aren't. Borghi is our best weapon, and if the o-line is effective, McIntosh might be almost as potent. Stylistically they're similar backs. After that the focus is making sure our slot guys are in sync with the quarterback and making the right reads. Harris, and to a lesser extent Bell and Calvin, can wreck shop in this offense if they run it right.

I'm excited. I don't think we will wow in the wins/losses dept...but I think we will some some exciting offense(along with miscues and growing pains)

Judging from what the players have been saying in interviews, we might see some jet sweeps and what not with some of our speed guys(Harris, Bell etc)

Those seem to work better under center as opposed to shotgun...but we shall see.

A little misdirection can go a long way...both in the run game and the passing game. Excited to see what we come up with.

And just throwing this out there...I am betting on Cruz to start. Just a gut feeling.

I'm excited. I don't think we will wow in the wins/losses dept...but I think we will some some exciting offense(along with miscues and growing pains)

Judging from what the players have been saying in interviews, we might see some jet sweeps and what not with some of our speed guys(Harris, Bell etc)

Those seem to work better under center as opposed to shotgun...but we shall see.

A little misdirection can go a long way...both in the run game and the passing game. Excited to see what we come up with.

And just throwing this out there...I am betting on Cruz to start. Just a gut feeling.

7-0 doesn't wow you????

Agreed on Cruz being a natural fit for the Run and Shoot. I'm guessing all three gets lots of reps this year. Cooper probably comes out as starter in game one but doesn't play the entire first game is my guess.

I expect the offense to be a mess with enough big plays throughout the year to foster optimism for the future. Just enough good to drive you nuts when our QB throws an ugly pick.

I watched some Hawaii games during lockdown on YouTube. R&S is going to be difficult to stop once everyone gets on the same page but I don't expect it year one. Rolo seems to be on a mission to purge the roster of pieces he doesn't think fit.

Reactions: spongeworthy12
I'm excited to see the new system, but there's always a gray cloud of anxiety when you don't know who your starting QB is 3 weeks away from the opener. If Cooper and Cruz are unable to take control of the job, I hope de Laura gets some reps.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT