ADVERTISEMENT

Independence Bowl in Shreveport, La.

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
P12 will send a team there in 2020, 2023 and 2024.

Tie-Ins.png

That’ll only cost like $1500 for flights from Washington. Maybe eventually we’ll get a NYD game in Florida.

Everytime I see something like this my reaction is "wft?!?!", but then I remember that bowl games aren't for the fans, so it makes total sense.

Reactions: SDCoug
Love the bowl. Hate that it isn't a SEC opponent. None of those teams do anything for the PAC 12. If it's gonna be BYU, why not just flip for home field and everyone go there? Save the airfare.

Love the bowl. Hate that it isn't a SEC opponent. None of those teams do anything for the PAC 12. If it's gonna be BYU, why not just flip for home field and everyone go there? Save the airfare.

Yea, BYU is a silly tie in vs. a P12 team. Makes no sense. I don’t mind the academies.

Shreveport; home of the world's best crawdads. Pretty good catfish, as well. Add in a little BBQ and some fried okra; maybe some dirty rice, or maybe grits...some collard greens (with or without bacon)...and you will find out why that food (when done properly) is so good. Worth the bowl trip all by itself.

Reactions: Cougzz
Shreveport; home of the world's best crawdads. Pretty good catfish, as well. Add in a little BBQ and some fried okra; maybe some dirty rice, or maybe grits...some collard greens (with or without bacon)...and you will find out why that food (when done properly) is so good. Worth the bowl trip all by itself.
Oh yeah. Try the blackened catfish and jambalaya at the Blind Tiger in downtown Shreveport. My mouth waters just thinking about it.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: Cougzz
My wife and I have visited 30 states so far with the plan to hit all of them at some point. I've skipped prior excuses to go to Louisiana.......hope I get a shot at this one (although I will be happier if we never finish low enough to qualify for it).

My wife and I have visited 30 states so far with the plan to hit all of them at some point. I've skipped prior excuses to go to Louisiana.......hope I get a shot at this one (although I will be happier if we never finish low enough to qualify for it).

If you are really trying to visit Louisiana, you are barely doing it Shreveport, which is really more like Arkansas than it really like the rest of the state. Tack on a trip down to New Orleans for the true Louisiana.

If you are really trying to visit Louisiana, you are barely doing it Shreveport, which is really more like Arkansas than it really like the rest of the state. Tack on a trip down to New Orleans for the true Louisiana.

Oh.....we would definitely take a couple extra couple days to hit New Orleans if we ever go that way.

I’ll go to Louisiana 100 times over most any place in the US. Cool vibe, great culture and diversity, some of the best food in the world.

Run, don’t walk. Do it now.

I’ll go to Louisiana 100 times over most any place in the US. Cool vibe, great culture and diversity, some of the best food in the world.

Not sure why diversity would need to be a part of this list... I walk out my front door to see my neighbors who are Latino, black, Asian etc etc.... I think culture and food would be enough. You can pretty much get diversity anywhere, especially in W WA

Talk to a few of the NO residents and NOLA IS completely different. The one couple we met told us the history of NOLA separates it from the rest of the Cajun culture. In their mind, the rest of LA is full of bumbling, 2-toothed, uneducated, dirty, bigoted hicks. NOLA is nothing like the rest of the state they told us. And pleaded with us not to judge NOLA by the rubes that live elsewhere.

Sounds like you agree. Of course I’ve spent time both in NOLA and in other parts. A good friend of mine grew up southwest of Lafayette which is Cajun country. The NOLA sneer is rather like the King County sneer. But both are arrogant and dismissive. And both are wrong.

Reactions: SDCoug

The negatives that I've heard about New Orleans in particular is that it smells disgusting when it's warm out and if you stray more than a block away from the french quarter and other tourist areas, it gets pretty sketchy. The crime statistics for New Orleans are pretty sobering. When you look at crime, NOLA ranges from 3 to 7 times higher than the national average in every single category and usually double the state average for Louisiana. It makes it pretty laughable for them to look down on the rest of the state. Of course, cities in general have more crime and Wichita has its fair share, but NOLA is very high when it comes to murder, rape and robbery.

I'm sure that crime in NOLA is one of those things that you don't have to worry about if you're not an idiot.....but that's been a factor in us avoiding the trip so far. Smells terrible and high crime? Sounds like the University District. :D:D

We will definitely go sometime though.

Not sure why diversity would need to be a part of this list... I walk out my front door to see my neighbors who are Latino, black, Asian etc etc.... I think culture and food would be enough. You can pretty much get diversity anywhere, especially in W WA

You do you.

How long have you lived in Tacoma? :)

Yeah, why would anyone care about an old, old, wooden ship?

The negatives that I've heard about New Orleans in particular is that it smells disgusting when it's warm out and if you stray more than a block away from the french quarter and other tourist areas, it gets pretty sketchy. The crime statistics for New Orleans are pretty sobering. When you look at crime, NOLA ranges from 3 to 7 times higher than the national average in every single category and usually double the state average for Louisiana. It makes it pretty laughable for them to look down on the rest of the state. Of course, cities in general have more crime and Wichita has its fair share, but NOLA is very high when it comes to murder, rape and robbery.

I'm sure that crime in NOLA is one of those things that you don't have to worry about if you're not an idiot.....but that's been a factor in us avoiding the trip so far. Smells terrible and high crime? Sounds like the University District. :D:D

We will definitely go sometime though.
What i think of when i hear NOLA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT