ADVERTISEMENT

Isn’t this a violation?

CrimsonDisciple

Head Coach
Dec 26, 2005
Seems to me that this is a violation. It’s in reference to a recruit Jeremiah Martin. Am I wrong?

I didn’t think you could reference a recruit by name until they signed.

Gets a pass as no individual recruit is specifically named.

A Coach encouraging boosters to not abide by the below would be a violation.

8. DON’T: Contact prospective student-athletes by phone, social media or texting. Our coaches are great recruiters and contacting a prospect may jeopardize their eligibility. “UW Athletic Department to Fans/Boosters.” Level III violation?

That dude is such a used car salesman (no offense to used car salesmen). Can't believe some people wanted him on our staff. Makes my skin crawl.

Nothing is a violation if it involves the UW - they are way too good to be required to follow any rules. And if they get questioned on anything the know their former President aka the “Pope of the NCAA” Mark Emmert will sweep it under the rug......

My guess is that it is generic enough to not be a violation.

As previously suggested, start the investigation with a cavity search. I’m sure Jeremiah Pharms would appreciate the conjugal visitation time.

As previously suggested, start the investigation with a cavity search. I’m sure Jeremiah Pharms would appreciate the conjugal visitation time.

Lock him in a room with Jerramy Stevens and Hope Solo...

This looks to me to be a very skillful effort to skirt the rules, by a program that is noted for skirting the rules. Every now and then there is a puff of wind, or an inadvertent move, and you can see under the skirt. I suspect that most folks of all ages would not like what they see under that skirt.

The results of this should be interesting to those who have claimed, apparently seriously, that random fans on Twitter tweeting innocuous stuff at recruits is going to get the school in trouble. Yeah, sure.

Here, you not only have that going on, but have a coach directly telling people to do it. Nothing will happen here, and it sure as hell isn't going to happen when people just take it upon themselves to do it. Most recruits' Twitter pages are absolutely lit up with fans of other schools imploring them to choose their schools. When we're up against other schools in recruiting battles, it's usually something like a 10-to-1 ratio if not more in favor of the other school, especially the further south and east that school is located.

A lot of it is just "hey man, come join the Wolfpack" kind of stuff, but I've seen fans cite graduation statistics, the numbers on the current roster, the fit of the current offense or defense, facts about the area, job placement stats, and all kinds of other stuff. Some of it is sort of well-presented and would be at least mildly compelling if I was a recruit, honestly, at least as something to keep in mind.

It's way beyond what most of our fans seem to get, since the two things we seem to lead the nation in are (a) online polls and (b) shaming or shouting down anyone who tweets stuff at recruits.

Standard disclaimer: I don't do it and I wish it wasn't part of recruiting.

It's just really interesting to me how every other fan base in the country just goes nuts with it but we have successfully inculcated our fans with the beliefs that it's some kind of meaningful compliance issue and/or "creepy" to do. I don't deny that it is a bit creepy, especially some of these guys who act like they are some kind of "advisor" or "buddy" to some 17-year old kid they have never met, but that doesn't stop the armies doing it for these other schools.

As for compliance issues, I'll be curious to see whether anything happens with Lake (I put the likelihood of it at about 0.01%). I think that unless you have some kind of well-known booster tweeting something completely inappropriate (e.g., Paul Allen tweeting at a recruit and telling him that a job at Vulcan is his if he goes with the Cougs), nothing is going to happen with this crap.

The results of this should be interesting to those who have claimed, apparently seriously, that random fans on Twitter tweeting innocuous stuff at recruits is going to get the school in trouble. Yeah, sure.

Here, you not only have that going on, but have a coach directly telling people to do it. Nothing will happen here, and it sure as hell isn't going to happen when people just take it upon themselves to do it. Most recruits' Twitter pages are absolutely lit up with fans of other schools imploring them to choose their schools. When we're up against other schools in recruiting battles, it's usually something like a 10-to-1 ratio if not more in favor of the other school, especially the further south and east that school is located.

A lot of it is just "hey man, come join the Wolfpack" kind of stuff, but I've seen fans cite graduation statistics, the numbers on the current roster, the fit of the current offense or defense, facts about the area, job placement stats, and all kinds of other stuff. Some of it is sort of well-presented and would be at least mildly compelling if I was a recruit, honestly, at least as something to keep in mind.

It's way beyond what most of our fans seem to get, since the two things we seem to lead the nation in are (a) online polls and (b) shaming or shouting down anyone who tweets stuff at recruits.

Standard disclaimer: I don't do it and I wish it wasn't part of recruiting.

It's just really interesting to me how every other fan base in the country just goes nuts with it but we have successfully inculcated our fans with the beliefs that it's some kind of meaningful compliance issue and/or "creepy" to do. I don't deny that it is a bit creepy, especially some of these guys who act like they are some kind of "advisor" or "buddy" to some 17-year old kid they have never met, but that doesn't stop the armies doing it for these other schools.

As for compliance issues, I'll be curious to see whether anything happens with Lake (I put the likelihood of it at about 0.01%). I think that unless you have some kind of well-known booster tweeting something completely inappropriate (e.g., Paul Allen tweeting at a recruit and telling him that a job at Vulcan is his if he goes with the Cougs), nothing is going to happen with this crap.
Yea... It's just creepy.o_O

Reactions: Cougzz
I don't think it's a violation. He's not referencing a specific recruit. In fact, he's not specifically referencing recruiting at all. He's just asking fans if they like pass rushers.

I don't think it's a violation. He's not referencing a specific recruit. In fact, he's not specifically referencing recruiting at all. He's just asking fans if they like pass rushers.

I know you may be being sarcastic, and as I noted nothing will happen here, but on his Twitter timeline (https://twitter.com/CoachLakeUDUB), he made that tweet right above a Jeremiah Martin tweet he retweeted. He directly tells fans to "show the love" to that kid on Twitter.

Again, I agree nothing will happen, and I can appreciate the arguments he could make in the unlikely event he even was asked about it. Just saying that he pretty clearly was directly telling fans, many of whom probably are boosters, to tweet at the kid.

I know you may be being sarcastic, and as I noted nothing will happen here, but on his Twitter timeline (https://twitter.com/CoachLakeUDUB), he made that tweet right above a Jeremiah Martin tweet he retweeted. He directly tells fans to "show the love" to that kid on Twitter.

Again, I agree nothing will happen, and I can appreciate the arguments he could make in the unlikely event he even was asked about it. Just saying that he pretty clearly was directly telling fans, many of whom probably are boosters, to tweet at the kid.
Yeah, hard to call that a violation but douchey nonetheless. I believe if I was a recruit and a coach was telling fans to stalk me on Twitter, it would feel a little creepy. Course I was 18 over 20 years ago and twitter wasn’t around, so who knows.

Didn't realize he was referencing a different tweet regarding a player. Still probably vague enough, he could successfully deny it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT