ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Eason

ElComanche

Hall Of Fame
Sep 28, 2007
QB from Georgia looking to transfer. Unfortunately, the mutts and UCLA are the favorites for this former five star QB. I remember that he had a great arm and would improve any team,he transfers to.Chip Kelly and Petersen will compete for his services.

I'm sure he would but it doesn't look like we are in need of a QB. Actually, I don't think the Dawgs are either. He probably should try UCLA.

Do not doubt that those are the 2 favorites .

However UW just inked two 4 star QB's in early signing. I guess the more the merrier but that is using a lot of scholarships for the QB position.

Eason really is not Kelly's type of QB but why not he can go there to sit while Kelly finds his run option QB.

Reactions: earldacoug
I'm sure he would but it doesn't look like we are in need of a QB.

This seems a lot like the Brett Rypien situation we read about three years ago.

No. 1 quarterback in the state. Cougar legacy just up the road in Spokane. Pass-happy offense in Pullman under the direction of a future Hall of Fame coach.

Yet Lil' Ryp takes a look at WSU's depth chart with Luke Falk and Peyton Bender and decides the safest road to early PT is at Boise State.

Now with Tyler Hilinski, Connor Neville, John Bledsoe and Cammon Cooper, there may be even more of a logjam in 2018 and beyond for any transfer looking to start once he's eligible.

Those logjams tend to be self-clearing entities, which is why any team needs at least one best available QB every year. Trying to be neutral here, as I think the last two years at Boise have worked out well for Rypien. If he has pro aspirations, scouts will have 3 or 4 years to evaluate.

Maybe we should hire Jacobs dad Tony as the 10th assistant. He did play for the Patriots.

I’m skeptical about taking QBs who are transferring because they couldn’t win the starting job. There are exceptions, of course, but generally speaking, I’d pass.

I’m skeptical about taking QBs who are transferring because they couldn’t win the starting job. There are exceptions, of course, but generally speaking, I’d pass.
That's misleading isn't it? Eason won the job as a true frosh and was injured. Won the job again, injured, and Fromm (sp?) took over and will play in the title game. That's not exactly someone that "couldn't win the starting job".

I'm pretty sure that "fake news" can only be said sarcastically. Or do people use that term and mean it?

No. 1 quarterback in the state. Cougar legacy just up the road in Spokane. Pass-happy offense in Pullman under the direction of a future Hall of Fame coach.

Yet Lil' Ryp takes a look at WSU's depth chart with Luke Falk and Peyton Bender and decides the safest road to early PT is at Boise State.

Now with Tyler Hilinski, Connor Neville, John Bledsoe and Cammon Cooper, there may be even more of a logjam in 2018 and beyond for any transfer looking to start once he's eligible.

Keep reciting that narrative. It's not factual but good on ya.

Reactions: CougEd and Fab5Coug
Keep reciting that narrative. It's not factual but good on ya.
Just what I've read here and other web site message boards from folks who likely have a lot more insider knowledge on WSU football recruiting.

I will be glad to be set straight on what really happened!

Just what I've read here and other web site message boards from folks who likely have a lot more insider knowledge on WSU football recruiting.

LOL - website message boards with insider knowledge. That's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one.

No. You stick with that peace of mind.

Reactions: Fab5Coug

The last time this topic came around, I said that I wouldn't recruit the guy but I don't know how Leach feels about his current crop of QB's so if Mike wants him, I want him. I like Hilinski and even though he wasn't great against Michigan State, I think he'll do fine running our offense next year. I'm really excited about Cooper and there's nothing to suggest that Neville isn't capable. If Hilinski ends up settling in as the starter, a guy like Eason is sitting around hoping that he gets on the field before 2020 with only one season to start. When you look at Eason's stats as a freshman, they were pretty ordinary and Fromm, as a true freshman, is putting together a much better season than Eason did last year. My fear is that Eason is a decent QB who looked ok because he was playing in a great system at UGA but when it comes down to it, Eason could very well be more Peyton Bender than Peyton Manning. Again, I'm really excited about Cooper and Hilinski, so I'm not thrilled with bringing in a guy who's most likely impact is to convince someone else to think about transferring.

Still, he's a well regarded kid and if Leach is interested....that's all I need in this instance.

Brett Rypien looked at two QBs who hadn't taken a college snap yet and decided to run elsewhere for easier PT?

Brett Rypien looked at two QBs who hadn't taken a college snap yet and decided to run elsewhere for easier PT?

That was what I read (admittedly, much of it at that time came from Brand X or maybe CougCenter).

Again, I'd be glad to get a better read on the situation from those who know best.

And maybe Brett Rypien really liked Boise State out of the schools that recruited him.

It seems like it worked out well for both him and WSU.

Message boards would have you believe any player who's ever transferred out of WSU did so due to fear of playing time.

I mean, logically, it just doesn't make sense with Rypien. He committed to Boise in April of 2014. Falk didn't make his first start for WSU until November of that year. So, unless you're suggesting Rypien was scared off watching Falk take backup practice reps before the season started, the narrative just doesn't make sense.

Although, at this point, it just feels like one of those things that's been posted enough on message boards, that people just kind of lazily assume it to be true.

That was what I read (admittedly, much of it at that time came from Brand X or maybe CougCenter).

Again, I'd be glad to get a better read on the situation from those who know best.

And maybe Brett Rypien really liked Boise State out of the schools that recruited him.

It seems like it worked out well for both him and WSU.

You can choose who you wish to believe.

I believe it was a combination of a) the mom not being particularly thrilled with WSU for not retaining her brother in law, Chris Tormey, and b) simply being out recruited by Boise.

To me, that makes a whole lot more sense than him being scared of a backup, walk on, red shirt freshman based on what he potentially saw in a pre season practice.

You can choose who you wish to believe.

I believe it was a combination of a) the mom not being particularly thrilled with WSU for not retaining her brother in law, Chris Tormey, and b) simply being out recruited by Boise.

To me, that makes a whole lot more sense than him being scared of a backup, walk on, red shirt freshman based on what he potentially saw in a pre season practice.

Thanks for the clarification.

Didn't know there was a family dynamic here, but it make sense under the circumstances you spelled out.

I do know Coach Tormey has been very well thought of in coaching circles, but CML probably had his staff in mind when he stepped in for Coach Paul Wulff.

QB from Georgia looking to transfer. Unfortunately, the mutts and UCLA are the favorites for this former five star QB. I remember that he had a great arm and would improve any team,he transfers to.Chip Kelly and Petersen will compete for his services.

What is interesting, and you can read Dawgman ‘members only’ forum if you are a member of any of their team sites (me Fresno State), they are saying that UW is communicating with Eason through “back channels”. That is odd to me that they’d let that out. Georgia has not released Jacob yet, they are in the middle of a playoff run.

What is interesting, and you can read Dawgman ‘members only’ forum if you are a member of any of their team sites (me Fresno State), they are saying that UW is communicating with Eason through “back channels”. That is odd to me that they’d let that out. Georgia has not released Jacob yet, they are in the middle of a playoff run.
That has to be some sort of violation, isn't it? "Back Channels"??? So a school is talking to a kid, unofficially and without permission? UW... slimy

That has to be some sort of violation, isn't it? "Back Channels"??? So a school is talking to a kid, unofficially and without permission? UW... slimy

I’m hoping that word gets out and Georgia eliminates UW as a transfer option due to the UW coaches sleaziness. I’d prefer him to go to any school other than UW.

Keep in mind Internet forums aren’t necessarily the most factual sources of information

Often the high school coach is an intermediary.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT