ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Hurts will transfer to. . .

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
Oklahoma. So, Leach will have to look elsewhere if he decides to bring in a grad transfer QB.

So he will be asked to play in a Mike Leach-type offense. Lincoln Riley must believe he can pass well enough.

Glad Cougar
I think the interesting part of this story is 1. Riley won’t let their guy transfer to WV. And 2. He told the 5* freshman they wouldn’t take a transfer.

Don’t know much about Riley but he sure looks like a hypocritical douchebag to me. Hurts seems like a good kid, but after hearing everything else about Riley I kinda want to see this blow up in his face.

So he will be asked to play in a Mike Leach-type offense. Lincoln Riley must believe he can pass well enough.

Glad Cougar

Oklahoma rushed for 247 ypg in 2018 and over 200 ypg in 2017. Mayfield had 97 rushing attempts in 2017 and Murray ran the ball 140 times in 2018. Minshew had 58 attempts this year and that's the most attempts by a WSU QB under Leach by a huge margin and WSU hasn't broke 80 ypg rushing in the past two seasons. Oklahoma does incorporate Air Raid principles in their passing schemes, but it is a stretch to imply that the two offenses are remotely similar overall. Jalen Hurts to Oklahoma makes a lot of sense. I wouldn't have been upset if Hurts picked us, but it never made any sense at all for him to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
A bit off-topic but a transfer of a sort. Reportedly our old buddy Tosh Lupoi has left Bama and is on his way to the Cleveland Browns. No idea why this is happening nor any idea of his assignment with the Browns. Maybe Saban is doing a little house cleaning after getting stomped by Clemson. Also heard that Lupoi was making $950.000 per annum in Tuscaloosa. That's an awfully big coffee cup for a college position coach.

A bit off-topic but a transfer of a sort. Reportedly our old buddy Tosh Lupoi has left Bama and is on his way to the Cleveland Browns. No idea why this is happening nor any idea of his assignment with the Browns. Maybe Saban is doing a little house cleaning after getting stomped by Clemson. Also heard that Lupoi was making $950.000 per annum in Tuscaloosa. That's an awfully big coffee cup for a college position coach.

I've seen some chatter that Lupoi is being pushed out. Him going to the NFL makes little sense ... his primary, if not exclusive, value is as a recruiter. That's irrelevant in the NFL.

Oklahoma rushed for 247 ypg in 2018 and over 200 ypg in 2017. Mayfield had 97 rushing attempts in 2017 and Murray ran the ball 140 times in 2018. Minshew had 58 attempts this year and that's the most attempts by a WSU QB under Leach by a huge margin and WSU hasn't broke 80 ypg rushing in the past two seasons. Oklahoma does incorporate Air Raid principles in their passing schemes, but it is a stretch to imply that the two offenses are remotely similar overall. Jalen Hurts to Oklahoma makes a lot of sense. I wouldn't have been upset if Hurts picked us, but it never made any sense at all for him to do so.

What Riley does is use the Air Raid concepts to stretch the field, then encourages the QB to tuck it and run.

It’s more like the Run Raid.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
I've seen some chatter that Lupoi is being pushed out. Him going to the NFL makes little sense ... his primary, if not exclusive, value is as a recruiter. That's irrelevant in the NFL.
I agree and that is what puzzles me. If Lupoi is primarily a recruiter, as most see him, then what is he going to do in the NFL which doesn't recruit unless one considers free agents as being recruited and that comes down to money discussions between the player's agent and management. Lupoi contributes no value to the Browns in that regard. Very strange.

Saban is not known for being a particularly affable fellow and he must be in a miserable and sour mood now. He not only lost the national championship but got his butt royally whipped. Had not heard the rumors that you have but it confirms my suspicion that Saban is shaking things up in Bama.

What Riley does is use the Air Raid concepts to stretch the field, then encourages the QB to tuck it and run.

It’s more like the Run Raid.

Without a doubt, Oklahoma runs the offense that most of us would like to see Leach's offense morph into. It's not just the QB tucking and running a bit more though. It involves actually running the ball more often with the running backs too.

At the end of the day, Leach's version of the Air Raid is what it is and guys like Jalen Hurts will find better places for their skill sets. I'm fine with that, because winning 8-11 games every year is still far better than 9-40.

Reactions: GrayOnGray

I think Saban is prob an absolute nightmare to work for.

Have you seen him go berzerko on kids on the sideline? Im waiting for the day a kid turns around and cracks him upside the head.

He has a mass exodus of coaches every season for a reason.

Reactions: Coug90
I think the interesting part of this story is 1. Riley won’t let their guy transfer to WV. And 2. He told the 5* freshman they wouldn’t take a transfer.

Don’t know much about Riley but he sure looks like a hypocritical douchebag to me. Hurts seems like a good kid, but after hearing everything else about Riley I kinda want to see this blow up in his face.
Yesterday, he got his permission to transfer to WV. FYI.

Clearly Riley does not really run the Air Raid. Perhaps some sort of hybrid that has formations that are Raid-esque, but not a real Air Raid.

You'll recall that CML is clear that passing accuracy (and the decision making that goes with it) are his #1 criteria for selecting a QB. Hurts simply would not qualify for Leach. Now, if Observer is correct in his comment: "What Riley does is use the Air Raid concepts to stretch the field, then encourages the QB to tuck it and run. It’s more like the Run Raid.", then Hurts makes sense. But with his mediocre passing, he will be a dead weight for the Air Raid aspects of Riley's system. I don't think his offense will survive as-is with Hurts at QB...in order to take advantage of Hurts' strengths, the offense will have to evolve further. Probably in the direction of what Chip ran at Oregon.

I think Saban is prob an absolute nightmare to work for.

Have you seen him go berzerko on kids on the sideline? Im waiting for the day a kid turns around and cracks him upside the head.

He has a mass exodus of coaches every season for a reason.
Yup he’s a miserable human being it’s not hard to see. People will work at a shitty company with an asshole CEO for a couple of years that gives them the notoriety and experience to move on to a better job. Saban has made Alabama more of a stepping stone than WSU is. The only thing that makes that place tolerable to work at is the money and the 5 star athletes rolling in that makes it (almost) impossible to fail.

Yup he’s a miserable human being it’s not hard to see. People will work at a shitty company with an asshole CEO for a couple of years that gives them the notoriety and experience to move on to a better job. Saban has made Alabama more of a stepping stone than WSU is. The only thing that makes that place tolerable to work at is the money and the 5 star athletes rolling in that makes it (almost) impossible to fail.

What I noticed is that most Alabama players just walk away from him when he starts yelling. It's as if they don't acknowledge him at all. I suspect they even quit on him in that 44-16 loss.

Reactions: Cougzz
What I noticed is that most Alabama players just walk away from him when he starts yelling. It's as if they don't acknowledge him at all. I suspect they even quit on him in that 44-16 loss.

Yaki, you "suspect"? I thought it was pretty obvious. They were whipped and eventually they quit.

Reactions: YakiCoug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT