ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Gesser

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
Too bad he ran into the problems he had because he could have helped on the staff as a rb coach and a recruiter .

Reactions: PeteTheChop
He chose to get out of coaching a couple years prior to his trouble. Why bring someone back that's been out of the game when there are better options out there?

IIRC, Gesser apologized to Cougar fans for his mis-step.

He was well thought of enough that U of I promoted him to interim head coach a few years ago.

Why not give a Cou-Great a second chance to work some more of his magic at Martin Stadium?

He was well thought of enough that U of I promoted him to interim head coach a few years ago.

Why not give a Cou-Great a second chance to work some more of his magic at Martin Stadium?
It is not WSU fans that he should be apologizing. The women and his family are the ones.

Hiring him would be a slap in the face to those women who he acted inappropriately. So, a hard pass.

Federal Way HS
Eastside Catholic HS
Idaho
and 1 year at Wyoming

Hard pass.

Let me restate. It is too bad he got out of coaching and too bad he got in trouble. He has one of those infectious personalities that would be a real asset in recruiting . No my original post wasn’t well written and giving the impression he should have gone from the AD to coaching . No he needed to stay in coaching and he needed to stay out of teh massage parlor.

Too bad he didn’t stick with coaching and too bad he had the problems he did.

Last edited:
It is not WSU fans that he should be apologizing. The women and his family are the ones.

Hiring him would be a slap in the face to those women who he acted inappropriately. So, a hard pass.

And he’s not a qualified candidate.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Gasser loves this school. Deserves respect and credit for what he did. Also how he walked away was also handled well. A whole lotta lawsuits and mess could have came from this. Thankfully it didn’t.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Maybe we could get Arkelon Hall to be a DB coach and recruiter too.
No. No. No. he’s not a coach...just because he was a popular figure/Coug doesn’t mean he can just fill a coaching roll

Correct he is not. What was meant to be said is it is too bad he didn't stick with coaching and his connections to the Islands and other recruiting areas would have been of good use with his personality. He didn't stay in coaching and he didn't stay out of trouble. But if he had he would have been an asset as a RB coach.

The ironic and sad aspect of this is that Jason had stated that he wanted to get out of coaching because the coaching life is a vagabond life and he wanted stability for his young family. Obviously, that did not turn out well. I believe that his apology was also intended to include the women involved. We should all hope that he is regaining trust with his family.

It is too soon for him to be considered for any position at WSU and that is a shame and a waste. He loves the school and would make a great recruiter and position coach. As has been noted, he was selected to temporarily take the position of interim head coach at Idaho. That was his first college coaching experience and apparently was quite impressive there.

Correct he is not. What was meant to be said is it is too bad he didn't stick with coaching and his connections to the Islands and other recruiting areas would have been of good use with his personality. He didn't stay in coaching and he didn't stay out of trouble. But if he had he would have been an asset as a RB coach.
I liked everything about Jason prior to the news about him harassing women. But he was a gladhander, much more on a path to be an AD someday (certainly not a bad gig) than a coach...an ambassador yes, a grinder, no. Jason wasn’t gonna be working through the night grading out game film or doing planes, trains, and automobiles to get a 17 year old 3 star to commit. He might have dabbled in coaching but if he had the true passion for it he would have stuck to the grind, but he didn’t. Trust me, he wouldn’t have made a good coach...RBs, or OC. It’s a helluva lot of work that he wasn’t willing to do.

Because, outside of being a former Coug player, there is no chance his resume would even stay on the head coach's desk.

Did we learn nothing from the Doba & Wulff years about hiring guys just cause they're alums?

I liked everything about Jason prior to the news about him harassing women. But he was a gladhander, much more on a path to be an AD someday (certainly not a bad gig) than a coach...an ambassador yes, a grinder, no. Jason wasn’t gonna be working through the night grading out game film or doing planes, trains, and automobiles to get a 17 year old 3 star to commit. He might have dabbled in coaching but if he had the true passion for it he would have stuck to the grind, but he didn’t. Trust me, he wouldn’t have made a good coach...RBs, or OC. It’s a helluva lot of work that he wasn’t willing to do.

Maybe....I don't know his work ethic. There is a reason if he did have what it took I would have him at RB instead of QB or OC. His value comes in getting kids sold, but if you say he wouldn't be willing to travel and work until 10 I would have to trust you.

Part of what I understood is his wife had a great job and the family decided not to get caught in the trappings of coaching. You have to have full commitment from the family as Leach did when he asked his wife if she would rather have him happy and poor, coaching, or miserable and money, law.

Because, outside of being a former Coug player, there is no chance his resume would even stay on the head coach's desk.

Did we learn nothing from the Doba & Wulff years about hiring guys just cause they're alums?

Yeah we learned a lot. Former Cougs don't sell their schools very well. Jason is a different guy. Again, I would NEVER have him coach without being experienced, that is why I said it was too bad he didn't continue coaching.

I was at a Pierce County Cougar Club meeting, and it was Collin Henderson I think was a guest speaker, and he said Gesser does a lot of the hosting. I think they said he hosted 10 kids, nine commited. He chuckled when he said it because the one he lost was from Hawaii.

Yeah we learned a lot. Former Cougs don't sell their schools very well. Jason is a different guy. Again, I would NEVER have him coach without being experienced, that is why I said it was too bad he didn't continue coaching.

I was at a Pierce County Cougar Club meeting, and it was Collin Henderson I think was a guest speaker, and he said Gesser does a lot of the hosting. I think they said he hosted 10 kids, nine commited. He chuckled when he said it because the one he lost was from Hawaii.

Is there a reason you’re still posting about this?

Ok.

He stopped coaching 7 years ago.

Collin Henderson I think was a guest speaker, and he said Gesser does a lot of the hosting. I think they said he hosted 10 kids, nine commited.

Not saying Jason Gesser should be WSU's head coach at this point in his life, but those numbers are phenomenal.

The guy is a master salesman, plain and simple. Add that with his love for all things WSU and it's got to be something that could help the football program.

Not saying Jason Gesser should be WSU's head coach at this point in his life, but those numbers are phenomenal.

The guy is a master salesman, plain and simple. Add that with his love for all things WSU and it's got to be something that could help the football program.

There are a lot of guys out there that could help the football program w/o all the negative PR baggage that JG would bring with him. I hope everyone involved in the mess that JG created has dealt with everything and moved on. Bringing him back to Wazzu in any capacity brings that whole mess back to the forefront, and would ensure that it gets brought up periodically, particularly if it's in a role where he's representing the university in any kind of public fashion. I strongly believe that's a lose-lose scenario for all involved.

Bringing Jason Gesser back to Wazzu in any capacity brings that whole mess back to the forefront, and would ensure that it gets brought up periodically
I hear what your saying rufff ...

BUT fans (and college administrators) thought the same thing about Coach Leach before Mr. Moos brought him to Pullman – and we all know how that turned out.

Sometimes people deserve a second chance even if there might be a little heat from the peanut gallery.

Is there a reason you’re still posting about this?

There are actually two better questions . Why do you even bother reading my posts and why do you care? Just figure some dude blithering on .

BUT fans (and college administrators) thought the same thing about Coach Leach before Mr. Moos brought him to Pullman – and we all know how that turned out.

Sometimes people deserve a second chance even if there might be a little heat from the peanut gallery.
The difference is, JG actually did what he was accused of, where Leach's accusations turned out to be false.

I don't quite get the applicability of your analogy. The accusations against Coach Leach were false (and documented as such prior to his hiring by Moos) and he wasn't given "a second chance" by the same university where all the fuss was. Completely different fan base and completely different work environment that he got his second chance in. I think the negatives associated with bringing JG back WAY outweigh the potential for a positive outcome.

I don't quite get the applicability of your analogy. The accusations against Coach Leach were false (and documented as such prior to his hiring by Moos) and he wasn't given "a second chance" by the same university where all the fuss was. Completely different fan base and completely different work environment that he got his second chance in. I think the negatives associated with bringing JG back WAY outweigh the potential for a positive outcome.

And that's on top of not really being qualified for the job.

Thus the whole premise of my first post “it is too bad He stopped coaching and it is too bad he couldn’t stop groping woman . No more no less .

I'm just curious why you thought this was a timely idea. Cause the new coach is from Hawaii?

What are you suggesting; he be hired as a coach, or back into the Athletic Department?

If as a coach, I will point out, again, he was never really qualified to coach at WSU to begin with, even without the sexual harassment claims.

If you're suggesting he be hired into his previous role, that would cause far more issues than simply "a little heat from the peanut gallery." And, to be perfectly frank with you, I would steer far clear of that kind of commentary on the subject.

Last edited:
Could you even imagine if any of the women he harassed are still working for WSU? Imagine the message that would send to them. Forget bad PR, that would just be a an awful situation to put your employees in. It would be gross negligence on WSU's part.

Reactions: rufffrider
So, you just want the attention.

Not at all. Pretty easy to explain. I posted something. Someone had a different take, I clarified my position, another person 90 said Gesser's situation was one he wasn't a grinder, I responded to that sentiment. If you didn't read my stuff at all I wouldn't miss the attention, Dblithers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT