ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Leavitt out at Oregon.

Interesting. I took a look at a Duck board today and a poster indicated some sort of news was coming. Wonder why he's out?

Looks like they are looking for another linebacker coach, as Leavitt also coached inside linebackers. Interesting.

Others are speculating that Leavitt's ouster was planned for some time but delayed until all the recruits were signed. If any recruits came to UO because of Leavitt, I'm sure they aren't too happy with this turn of events.

Glad Cougar

Others are speculating that Leavitt's ouster was planned for some time but delayed until all the recruits were signed. If any recruits came to UO because of Leavitt, I'm sure they aren't too happy with this turn of events.

Glad Cougar
Yeah. They let him go the “right” way.

Strange timing.....wonder if he wanted to hire the olb spot as DC and they listened to Mastro and Salavea instead regarding Wilson.

Glad Cougar
Players were in the dark as you would expect. Some wtf-type tweets.

I don't feel sorry for Leavitt. He is good and will land on his feet. Sometimes, taking the money is not always the best thing to do. I wonder if he had stayed at CU, would the Buffaloes have had more success saving both his and McIntyre's jobs? We will never know.

Or refused a mustache ride?

Ride, captain, ride upon the mystery 'stache ...
maxresdefault.jpg

Sports talk Portland is saying the players went to their AD and signed a petition for Crystalball to be the HC over Leavitt. They gave him a bump, but apparently he went job shopping after last season.

So he wasn't wanted and didn't want to be there.

Hopefully get gets a job outside the P12.

Sports talk Portland is saying the players went to their AD and signed a petition for Crystalball to be the HC over Leavitt. They gave him a bump, but apparently he went job shopping after last season.

How many times has letting the players decide worked? I'm guessing approximately zero percent.

How many times has letting the players decide worked? I'm guessing approximately zero percent.
it never works out, last year crystoball let the players decide the freeman could go to the bowl game and not play. this year he laid down the law, go to the game you will play, or stay home.

Word is he was miffed he didn't get he HC gig over Mario, so this was a long time coming.

Florida's DC spot may be opening up soon (their guy is interviewing with the Bengals) and Leavitt heading back to the state of Florida doesn't sound like a terrible option.

Word is he was miffed he didn't get he HC gig over Mario, so this was a long time coming.

Florida's DC spot may be opening up soon (their guy is interviewing with the Bengals) and Leavitt heading back to the state of Florida doesn't sound like a terrible option.

Damn. What was he the 6th highest paid assistant in all. CFB

The way Cristobal jumped up and down along the sidelines after that impressive 7-6 win over inept Michigan State, it looked a lot like Wulff after WSU beat UW in the OT game that featured two of the worst teams in America. Somehow, Goofy Mario is able to land a lot of highly regarded recruits. Not sure about his coaching ability though. Expectations are going to be real high and, I suspect, patience in Duckland will be very short.

Glad Cougar

The way Cristobal jumped up and down along the sidelines after that impressive 7-6 win over inept Michigan State, it looked a lot like Wulff after WSU beat UW in the OT game that featured two of the worst teams in America. Somehow, Goofy Mario is able to land a lot of highly regarded recruits. Not sure about his coaching ability though. Expectations are going to be real high and, I suspect, patience in Duckland will be very short.

Glad Cougar

Cristobal looks like a big goof, much like Wulff, and I had the same exact thought when he was jumping around like that ... I think a lot of that owes to being a former lineman. Must say that although it remains to be seen if Cristobal can coach, I've been surprised at the apparently insightful nature of some of his quotes about preparation and how he approaches the game. He at least knows how to talk a good game and to seem fairly thoughtful. The guy definitely can recruit.

As for Leavitt, he certainly can coach and coordinate a defense, so any substitute will almost certainly be a downgrade. Canzano indicated that Heyward was taking more of a role in coordinating the defense toward the end of last year, though, and seemed to improve it. Leavitt's personality may have cut against his ability to coach and get the players to play for him, either via alienating the players directly or via tension with Cristobal. Seems that it may have been like a situation where one parent is lenient and the other is a strict disciplinarian, and the kids rebel against the disciplinarian.

Glad Cougar

Glad, I looked at his jumping around and thought of Akey....

I asked my KSU co-horts for some background if they had any. The rumor here is that Leavitt was super pumped about the KSU job and had already started to put together a staff and had contacted recruits to let them know that he was going after the KSU job. The problem was that the AD didn't want him and he put the cart before the horse and he was never seriously considered for said KSU HC job. Oregon caught wind of it but kept it on the down low so their recruiting wouldn't get hurt and dumped him as soon as they felt they could.

I asked my KSU co-horts for some background if they had any. The rumor here is that Leavitt was super pumped about the KSU job and had already started to put together a staff and had contacted recruits to let them know that he was going after the KSU job. The problem was that the AD didn't want him and he put the cart before the horse and he was never seriously considered for said KSU HC job. Oregon caught wind of it but kept it on the down low so their recruiting wouldn't get hurt and dumped him as soon as they felt they could.

Well his contract had a specific K State clause
“Of note to Kansas State fans: the clause that was written into his original contract, allowing him to leave without paying a buyout if K-State hires him as head coach, remains intact.”

He had that clause that if he left he would pay no buyout if K state wanted him.
https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article190600669.html

Now he is leaving with a payout from Oregon.

I think it has more to do with him being disappointed in not getting the gig and not wanting to being very motivated now that his dream job didn’t want him.

I think Oregon can tell he’s just collecting a check and wants to send him on his way and he wants to go as well.

Judging by the fact that the agreement calls for a reduction in the buyout should he be hired somewhere else and Oregon is not paying the full amount and is paying him less than the total buyout that signals to me that Leavitt wanted out.

If he didn’t want to leave and felt forced out he could have demanded the whole thing. He didn’t he opted for less money and a reduction should he get hired elsewhere.

This leads me to believe that it was a mutual you want out and don’t want to be here and we want someone who does so here’s so money while you find a place that makes you happy and when you get hired we’ll call it even.

That’s what seems like is really going on.

They promoted their safeties coach to DC, not the LB coach
Yes, Keith Heyward is being promoted to DC. What I am saying is that Leavitt also coached linebackers. So, they need to replace his linebacking coaching duties.

Here is an article that spells out why Cristobal fired Leavitt. It appears they have a long history of not liking each other. Among several things, it all started with this:

"Their relationship started when Florida International University, where Cristobal was head coach from 2007-12, was preparing for their upcoming game against University of South Florida. The FIU program was only three years old, and Cristobal needed to scout USF, so he called them to ask for game film (colleges must share game film with each other). At the time, USF had played two games that season, and FIU had played one game.

Cristobal requested the game film from both games. Leavitt, USF's coach at the time, answered the call, declined and arguing ensued.

Leavitt wanted to only share one game because he was only getting one game of film in return. Cristobal wanted to pick which of the games he received, while Leavitt questioned if he already had the film of the other one (he did). The two coaches went back and forth until Cristobal came to a realization.

"I was like, wow, this is like I'm talking to my dad here."

https://sports.yahoo.com/leavitt-didn-t-fit-cristobal-000712846.html

Here is an article that spells out why Cristobal fired Leavitt. It appears they have a long history of not liking each other. Among several things, it all started with this:

"Their relationship started when Florida International University, where Cristobal was head coach from 2007-12, was preparing for their upcoming game against University of South Florida. The FIU program was only three years old, and Cristobal needed to scout USF, so he called them to ask for game film (colleges must share game film with each other). At the time, USF had played two games that season, and FIU had played one game.

Cristobal requested the game film from both games. Leavitt, USF's coach at the time, answered the call, declined and arguing ensued.

Leavitt wanted to only share one game because he was only getting one game of film in return. Cristobal wanted to pick which of the games he received, while Leavitt questioned if he already had the film of the other one (he did). The two coaches went back and forth until Cristobal came to a realization.

"I was like, wow, this is like I'm talking to my dad here."

https://sports.yahoo.com/leavitt-didn-t-fit-cristobal-000712846.html

I wouldnt have given him both games either.

Between Cristobal and Leavitt, one has proven to be a decent head coach, at least in terms of wins & bowl appearances. And it's not the guy who is in charge in Eugene right now.

Glad Cougar

I love how crystalball being denied for asking for above and beyond got twisted into Leavitt being a red-ass.

I mean, geezus fcking christ, talk about entitled. "I didn't get what I wanted so obviously the other guy is an asshole."

It doesn't sound as if Cristobal likes or respects his dad all that much. For many of us, talking to our dad is a wonderful thing.

Last edited:
I love how crystalball being denied for asking for above and beyond got twisted into Leavitt being a red-ass.

I mean, geezus fcking christ, talk about entitled. "I didn't get what I wanted so obviously the other guy is an asshole."

I view it as Leavitt bring a red ass and Cristobal being a whiny little bitch. Glad the whiny little bitch faction won out in Eugene.

Last edited:
Usually in any disagreement that becomes emotional, one side is clearly asking for something the other guy is going to consider unreasonable to start the process. How (or how well) the other party handles his response to that request usually dictates the course that will be followed from that point on. Sending film for one game would be considered by most to be meeting the other guy half way. The nature of the argument, what was said, tone used, etc., was probably a 50/50 proposition between two guys who are both used to getting what they want and ill-equipped to handle being told "no", particularly if the "no" was done in an emotional manner.

Two guys who believe their defecation has no odor and who glory in advertising their idea of having an alpha personality (which for both of these guys has appeared from a distance to be a very immature take on what constitutes an alpha) are just not going to get along when the relationship starts with one of them telling the other one "no". And it is unlikely that either one would be able to say "no" in a socially acceptable manner.

I give Oregon 3 years at the outside before they are searching for another head coach, and the over/under should probably be 2 years.

Reactions: earldacoug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT