ADVERTISEMENT

John Richardson

kougkurt

Hall Of Fame
Nov 19, 2011
Our former DB coach who was fired for not getting the vax has landed in Montlake via Arizona. Will all the dog vax mandate alums allow this?

Our former DB coach who was fired for not getting the vax has landed in Montlake via Arizona. Will all the dog vax mandate alums allow this?

I got the vaccine when it came out and got a booster. I'm not planning to get any more boosters unless the situation changes back to where a deadly version that is killing thousands of people per day is back. Contrary to all of the bullshit conspiracy theories that some like to throw out there....it was a necessary thing at the time.

At the peak of the pandemic, it was 3,500 deaths per day. Right now, COVID is killing about 50 people per day. It would be nice if people could use their fricking brains when we have these discussions instead of playing tribal politics. And frankly, that goes for both sides of the equation.

I got the vaccine when it came out and got a booster. I'm not planning to get any more boosters unless the situation changes back to where a deadly version that is killing thousands of people per day is back. Contrary to all of the bullshit conspiracy theories that some like to throw out there....it was a necessary thing at the time.

At the peak of the pandemic, it was 3,500 deaths per day. Right now, COVID is killing about 50 people per day. It would be nice if people could use their fricking brains when we have these discussions instead of playing tribal politics. And frankly, that goes for both sides of the equation.

Not trying to debate the vax, we’ve done that, just the irony.

Not trying to debate the vax, we’ve done that, just the irony.

It's not really ironic. We aren't in the middle of a pandemic anymore. It was different when thousands of people were dying every day. There's no benefit in going, "What about 2021?" I don't really care if the dude does or doesn't get a vaccine today and I doubt that very few people do....unless they are just stirring the pot for fun.

It's not really ironic. We aren't in the middle of a pandemic anymore. It was different when thousands of people were dying every day. There's no benefit in going, "What about 2021?" I don't really care if the dude does or doesn't get a vaccine today and I doubt that very few people do....unless they are just stirring the pot for fun.
It's a flu shot at this point (and it was always likely to be one). Get it if you want, or if you're somehow vulnerable. But it's no longer a significant public health issue.

Is the question because he coaches the Cougs or the anti vax position still on there ? If it is the former will they have problems with Johnny Nanson as their DC ?

I got jabbed 4 times, still thinking about going in for the new 5th one. When I got COVID, it was nothing. Sniffles for a couple of days.

Yeah but now I don't care who did or didn't do what. Funny how many people are wearing masks out in public still. Anti-vaxers I guess.

I got jabbed 4 times, still thinking about going in for the new 5th one. When I got COVID, it was nothing. Sniffles for a couple of days.

Yeah but now I don't care who did or didn't do what. Funny how many people are wearing masks out in public still. Anti-vaxers I guess.
I assume they have an underlying health issue or live with someone who does.

I have taken all the Covid shots. Thankfully, I have never had Covid.

I have taken all the Covid shots. Thankfully, I have never had Covid.
My whole family Made it all the way through the shutdowns and the active stages of pandemic without getting it. I Got it in Feb 2023, and it was a mild cold. Couldn’t even tell you why I bothered testing, and I was surprised when it was positive. Since then, all but one of us has had it, and combined we had one day where anyone actually felt sick.

Funny thing was, when I got it, my wife banished me to the spare room and I spent 5 days pretty isolated. Two months later, my wife got it…and banished me to the spare room

My whole family Made it all the way through the shutdowns and the active stages of pandemic without getting it. I Got it in Feb 2023, and it was a mild cold. Couldn’t even tell you why I bothered testing, and I was surprised when it was positive. Since then, all but one of us has had it, and combined we had one day where anyone actually felt sick.

Funny thing was, when I got it, my wife banished me to the spare room and I spent 5 days pretty isolated. Two months later, my wife got it…and banished me to the spare room
Wait - did you and family get vaxxed beforehand? Not that I give a shit now, just curious.

I have an underlying (heart) condition, and I was sure I would die if I got it in the early days before my jabs.. Know of one nearby late-40's antivax woman who got it and died.

Wait - did you and family get vaxxed beforehand? Not that I give a shit now, just curious.

I have an underlying (heart) condition, and I was sure I would die if I got it in the early days before my jabs.. Know of one nearby late-40's antivax woman who got it and died.
Yes. Lagged a bit on boosters, but got the initial ones once we were eligible

They are still compelling masking up in medical settings in LA County, even though the most detailed and comprehensive study, confirms making up is worthless against Covid and other respiratory illnesses. I'm a science guy, pro vax because of it. As a result, I find this study overwhelming, yet the same people that once claimed we needed to "follow the science" and now completely disregarding it, mandating mask usage. Down right sad and only bolsters the views of the tinfoil hat crowd.

They are still compelling masking up in medical settings in LA County, even though the most detailed and comprehensive study, confirms making up is worthless against Covid and other respiratory illnesses. I'm a science guy, pro vax because of it. As a result, I find this study overwhelming, yet the same people that once claimed we needed to "follow the science" and now completely disregarding it, mandating mask usage. Down right sad and only bolsters the views of the tinfoil hat crowd.

That's the thing that frustrates me. Inconsistency on what science matters makes it difficult for people to trust anything. Although I disagree with a lot of the anti-vax thinking....I understand that there's been a bunch of BS from the pro-vax crowd that fosters that thinking.

Reactions: mikalalas
That's the thing that frustrates me. Inconsistency on what science matters makes it difficult for people to trust anything. Although I disagree with a lot of the anti-vax thinking....I understand that there's been a bunch of BS from the pro-vax crowd that fosters that thinking.

Don't conflate astroturfed bullshit with science.

I read your linked study, and it absolutely does NOT confirm anything. Here's my common sense opinion. There is no question that the physical barrier of a mask, particularly a medical mask, reduces the particulate matter that comes out of the mouth and nose, or that goes in. Why do they wear them while doing surgery, and have forever? So don't tell me they do zero good. Limited good? Maybe. Cure all? Of course not. But go up to your bathroom mirror. Breath on it a few times, mask and no mask. Then tell me they do -0- good.

Study Conclusions:
"There is uncertainty about the effects of face masks. The low to moderate certainty of evidence means our confidence in the effect estimate is limited, and that the true effect may be different from the observed estimate of the effect."

I have now had covid twice. The first time 1/10/22 and only reason I tested was the next day I was taking my brother in law to his oncologist so I wanted to make sure I didn't have covid as a carrier as I had two college age kids at the time and they were vaxed but out and about. Sure enough I tested positive and someone else had to take him to his cancer appointment.

On Christmas Day this past year my wife isn't feeling well. I got boosted in November, she missed her boost. She was really run down and we are going to my sisters for dinner, and she is a cancer survivor and told my wife to take a test. She turned up to be positive. My test was negative. The next day I had cold symptom's and I tested positive.

I was lethargic for a day, my wife was feeling it for five days before she was back to normal. It is interesting that covid, vax mandates is in the rear view mirror and we still read about it on this board. It is like talking about Josh Swogger and Alex Brink in 2024.

I read your linked study, and it absolutely does NOT confirm anything. Here's my common sense opinion. There is no question that the physical barrier of a mask, particularly a medical mask, reduces the particulate matter that comes out of the mouth and nose, or that goes in. Why do they wear them while doing surgery, and have forever? So don't tell me they do zero good. Limited good? Maybe. Cure all? Of course not. But go up to your bathroom mirror. Breath on it a few times, mask and no mask. Then tell me they do -0- good.

Study Conclusions:
"There is uncertainty about the effects of face masks. The low to moderate certainty of evidence means our confidence in the effect estimate is limited, and that the true effect may be different from the observed estimate of the effect."
"Respiratory illness" vs getting crap in an open wound aren't the same thing. Surgeons don't wear masks to prevent the transmission of the flu, covid.

Also you are misreading the conclusion. They state, essentially, that the studies analyzed aren't very good, so crap in, crap out principles apply. They then state --

"The pooled results of RCTs did not show a clear reduction in respiratory viral infection with the use of medical/surgical masks. There were no clear differences between the use of medical/surgical masks compared with N95/P2 respirators in healthcare workers when used in routine care to reduce respiratory viral infection. Hand hygiene is likely to modestly reduce the burden of respiratory illness, and although this effect was also present when ILI and laboratory‐confirmed influenza were analysed separately, it was not found to be a significant difference for the latter two outcomes. Harms associated with physical interventions were under‐investigated.

Bottomline no real evidence that they work in reducing the transmission of viral infections. As for large particulate, which mask are proven to be effective, admittedly, it is not the driving force behind Covid, Flu and measles, it is the microscopic plumes of viral matter that linger in the air and which are inhaled in large amounts.

Study Conclusions:
I tend to agree. My wife wore an N95 mask testing and treating 3-5 Covid patients/day for 3 years and never got Covid. And if they didn’t have Covid they had some other nasty virus that she didn’t bring home either. But yes, driving in your car alone is ridiculous and wearing some half assed cloth mask that doesn’t fit right or cover your nose all the way is worthless as well.

I have now had covid twice. The first time 1/10/22 and only reason I tested was the next day I was taking my brother in law to his oncologist so I wanted to make sure I didn't have covid as a carrier as I had two college age kids at the time and they were vaxed but out and about. Sure enough I tested positive and someone else had to take him to his cancer appointment.

On Christmas Day this past year my wife isn't feeling well. I got boosted in November, she missed her boost. She was really run down and we are going to my sisters for dinner, and she is a cancer survivor and told my wife to take a test. She turned up to be positive. My test was negative. The next day I had cold symptom's and I tested positive.

I was lethargic for a day, my wife was feeling it for five days before she was back to normal. It is interesting that covid, vax mandates is in the rear view mirror and we still read about it on this board. It is like talking about Josh Swogger and Alex Brink in 2024.
Brink!

I tend to agree. My wife wore an N95 mask testing and treating 3-5 Covid patients/day for 3 years and never got Covid. And if they didn’t have Covid they had some other nasty virus that she didn’t bring home either. But yes, driving in your car alone is ridiculous and wearing some half assed cloth mask that doesn’t fit right or cover your nose all the way is worthless as well.
Here is the really stupid thing about all the mask mandates- you apparently cannot get or transmit Covid during lunchtime! That's right. You had to wear the masks all day long, even while outside, but you didn't have to wear them while eating your lunch. Did any of those folks pushing the mask mandates actually sit down and think that one through?

"Respiratory illness" vs getting crap in an open wound aren't the same thing. Surgeons don't wear masks to prevent the transmission of the flu, covid.

Also you are misreading the conclusion. They state, essentially, that the studies analyzed aren't very good, so crap in, crap out principles apply. They then state --

"The pooled results of RCTs did not show a clear reduction in respiratory viral infection with the use of medical/surgical masks. There were no clear differences between the use of medical/surgical masks compared with N95/P2 respirators in healthcare workers when used in routine care to reduce respiratory viral infection. Hand hygiene is likely to modestly reduce the burden of respiratory illness, and although this effect was also present when ILI and laboratory‐confirmed influenza were analysed separately, it was not found to be a significant difference for the latter two outcomes. Harms associated with physical interventions were under‐investigated.

Bottomline no real evidence that they work in reducing the transmission of viral infections. As for large particulate, which mask are proven to be effective, admittedly, it is not the driving force behind Covid, Flu and measles, it is the microscopic plumes of viral matter that linger in the air and which are inhaled in large amounts.
The other side of that is also true - there's no real evidence that they don't work.

Problem is that this isn't a study, it's a study review. It's not analyzing the use of masks, it's analyzing the results of other studies that analyzed the use of masks. Studies that had variations in circumstances and compliance, from multiple international sources. Anyone who thought that would give a clear conclusion was dreaming.

If someone could create a study and actually maintain proper compliance (meaning that the subjects wear the mask consistently and properly) I have no doubt that they'd show a measurable effect. But there's the problem - I'd say (generously) that 1 in 4 people wore them correctly. Of that 25%, 80% of them probably wore the same mask for days on end. So, in the end, maybe 5% of the population was really using them effectively...which means that they probably had no effect.

Oh I know! Driving in their car, walking down the street alone, wearing a mask. Ok. I still have a couple of masks hanging from my turn signal, but I never wear them anymore.

Can we end this thread? I know it is still hanging around, people are still dying, but Nursing homes are not getting ravaged anymore. I'll probably get jab #5 for the hell of it because I believe they helped me. You don't agree? I don't give a shit at this point.

I know I have told this story a time or 2 but it still makes me chuckle. Got the J&J first. Then, before there was any talk about boosters, I grew wary of J&J and got the two Pfizers. Then the Moderna way later. The trifecta of jabs.

geezus, as long as you got your $.02 in, right?

fwiw, nobody who disagrees with you give a flying fck about what you did, what you're going to do, or your reasoning therein. Similarly, those who agree are eagerly lapping up the confirmation bias and waving the pom poms.

I suppose this bullshit finger pointing will end when everyone who lived through it is in the ground. Until that day, I guess continue on. Why don't you go ahead and give us your Trump spiel while we're at it...

Reactions: NMBRCRNCHR
geezus, as long as you got your $.02 in, right?

fwiw, nobody who disagrees with you give a flying fck about what you did, what you're going to do, or your reasoning therein. Similarly, those who agree are eagerly lapping up the confirmation bias and waving the pom poms.

I suppose this bullshit finger pointing will end when everyone who lived through it is in the ground. Until that day, I guess continue on. Why don't you go ahead and give us your Trump spiel while we're at it...

You waited two days to piss your pants about my comment? I agree that the bullshit finger pointing needs to end...but maybe a better start would be for the OP to not bring up this sh!t in the first place?

The other side of that is also true - there's no real evidence that they don't work.

Problem is that this isn't a study, it's a study review. It's not analyzing the use of masks, it's analyzing the results of other studies that analyzed the use of masks. Studies that had variations in circumstances and compliance, from multiple international sources. Anyone who thought that would give a clear conclusion was dreaming.

If someone could create a study and actually maintain proper compliance (meaning that the subjects wear the mask consistently and properly) I have no doubt that they'd show a measurable effect. But there's the problem - I'd say (generously) that 1 in 4 people wore them correctly. Of that 25%, 80% of them probably wore the same mask for days on end. So, in the end, maybe 5% of the population was really using them effectively...which means that they probably had no effect.
Its not hard science to figure out. The virus is a certain size that N95 does not allow transmission of, so technically it will not allow transference of the virus in our out. The Japanese have been masking up to great effect for years.

The problem is that Americans/ people don't get the correct mask, dont use it correctly, or practice a bunch of other habits that otherwise negate any possible benefit that wearing a mask might provide. So in a lab environment a N95 mask will stop the transmission of the flu/ SARS cov-2; in a practical setting with sausage fingered, overweight Americans shoving fries and Dr.Pepper into their gullet and then only putting the mask over their mouth and not nose all while never washing their filthy booger pickers - not so much.

You waited two days to piss your pants about my comment? I agree that the bullshit finger pointing needs to end...but maybe a better start would be for the OP to not bring up this sh!t in the first place?
OP's point wasn't about getting the vax or not, it was that the state of WA made a value statement by firing any and everyone (including essential services - nurses, police, fire fighters) who didn't join the cult of vax. Perhaps another example would make it more clear for you: lawsuit aside, do you think Rolovich will or would EVER be employed by the state of WA again?

OP's point wasn't about getting the vax or not, it was that the state of WA made a value statement by firing any and everyone (including essential services - nurses, police, fire fighters) who didn't join the cult of vax. Perhaps another example would make it more clear for you: lawsuit aside, do you think Rolovich will or would EVER be employed by the state of WA again?

Oh f#ck off. He was stirring the pot and nothing more. Nobody is bringing up vaccine status these days except when they want to be a troll....regardless of which side of the equation that they are on.

Oh f#ck off. He was stirring the pot and nothing more. Nobody is bringing up vaccine status these days except when they want to be a troll....regardless of which side of the equation that they are on.
I think Kurt gets a pass as not being a troll. There are definitely trolls on this board who post shit continually to get people pissing and moaning, he's not on my list of those people. You may disagree. And I noticed you failed to answer the question...

I think Kurt gets a pass as not being a troll. There are definitely trolls on this board who post shit continually to get people pissing and moaning, he's not on my list of those people. You may disagree. And I noticed you failed to answer the question...

I don't give a shit about Rolovich and don't care where he works as long as it's not at WSU. FWIW, I don't care about his vaccine status....I just don't want to listen to dumb f#ckers making a big deal about it.

I doubt the state of Washington would employ him. We are talking an athletic position and neither WSU. EWI, uw. etc., would employ him. Would he be employed in the state, of course. Before the implosion of the XFL and USFL merger, he was set to become the OC of the Seattle Dragons. Of course, Seattle was not one of the teams to survive the merger.

I doubt the state of Washington would employ him. We are talking an athletic position and neither WSU. EWI, uw. etc., would employ him. Would he be employed in the state, of course. Before the implosion of the XFL and USFL merger, he was set to become the OC of the Seattle Dragons. Of course, Seattle was not one of the teams to survive the merger.
Exactly. Yet Richardson, fired for the same cause as Rolo, is now a coach at UW.

100% agree, Kurt may be the most level headed non confrontational fella on this board. Don’t think he had any intention of stirring the pot. If you can’t discuss a specific topic without going down a political rabbit hole that’s on you.

Exactly. Yet Richardson, fired for the same cause as Rolo, is now a coach at UW.
I am not getting what your issue is. Richardson is a CB coach. Unless Rolo would take a lesser position, which there is no reason he would, he would have to be offered a head coaching position at the college level.

The uw would not hire him to be a head coach. They would and have aimed higher. EWU is not looking for a head coach. Do I need to even talk about Rolo and WSU?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT