ADVERTISEMENT

Just announced - increased ticket prices, increased parking pass prices, decreased CAF ranks

95coug

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
E-mail just came from athletics. Ticket prices are jumping for 2020, with 7 home games. $410/seat and up for sideline, plus some increases in seatback donations.

Parking passes no longer included with ticket donations. Giving level gives you the option to buy a permit now. B permits will cost $640 ($500 CAF plus $140 for permit).

RV permit prices going up. Minimum $840, plus a minimum CAF of $750.

And, the one that bothers me most: CAF priority allocation is changing. It's no longer cumulative. First priority now goes to the biggest donors for this year. Within each donor group, priority is assigned based on rank. Rather than embracing and encouraging numerous small donors, the program is continuing to eliminate incentives for them.

E-mail just came from athletics. Ticket prices are jumping for 2020, with 7 home games. $410/seat and up for sideline, plus some increases in seatback donations.

Parking passes no longer included with ticket donations. Giving level gives you the option to buy a permit now. B permits will cost $640 ($500 CAF plus $140 for permit).

And, the one that bothers me most: CAF priority allocation is changing. It's no longer cumulative. First priority now goes to the biggest donors for this year. Within each donor group, priority is assigned based on rank. Rather than embracing and encouraging numerous small donors, the program is continuing to eliminate incentives for them.
I don't have an issue with ticket prices going up due to our success. Same with the RV lot passes - RV people are going to RV.

$90 per game to park is just stupid. And what makes it worse is that there literally aren't good options to park anywhere. Even the parking passes are garbage as far as where you get to park.

I'm baffled at the continuous campaign to funnel everything into the field house. Our tailgate sucks - unless of course you have an RV. While I don't mind wandering towards the field house an hour or so before kick, I prefer to chill with family and friends at my own tailgate for the hours before the game, as I would argue most people would. Drink my own beer, eat my own food. I suppose the argument is that the cost of a pass + own food >>> parking in BFE and eating and drinking at the field house.

w/e. Just another reason for Spokane/ Tri-Cities to not come to the games.

Increases in ticket sales were to be expected. I'm OK with that, provided that there are still "cheap seats" and family ticket options, which I'm certain there will be.

RV parking will also continue to be a premium, as it should be. I've held a Beasley Pass for over a decade now, and it's not cheap. The good news is that the emergence of WSU social media sites has allowed us to easily sell passes for the games we won't be attending. For now anyway. What NEEDS to happen regarding RV parking, are the establishment of some other lots to handle overflow. Walmart isn't allowing overnight parking anymore, so I hope some savvy businesses and local land owners jump on the opportunity. There is a lot of red tape and permitting associated with this sort of thing, but someone needs to figure it out.

Increases in ticket sales were to be expected. I'm OK with that, provided that there are still "cheap seats" and family ticket options, which I'm certain there will be.

RV parking will also continue to be a premium, as it should be. I've held a Beasley Pass for over a decade now, and it's not cheap. The good news is that the emergence of WSU social media sites has allowed us to easily sell passes for the games we won't be attending. For now anyway. What NEEDS to happen regarding RV parking, are the establishment of some other lots to handle overflow. Walmart isn't allowing overnight parking anymore, so I hope some savvy businesses and local land owners jump on the opportunity. There is a lot of red tape and permitting associated with this sort of thing, but someone needs to figure it out.

I got the e-mail also - and didn't take time (yet) to check out the $ changes. But yeah parking and RV spots are crazy. I remember when if you had a "B" parking permit you could use it for an RV. Back in the days when the RV lot was like the wild west. How the hell did we ever accommodate 40,000 for the games when the stadium was bigger? I know that continuing construction has eliminated quite a few on campus parking spots.

Maybe they need to take the Valley Road playfields and turn them into gameday parking. I know it would potentially bugger up the fieldturf but hey. Or those fields out past where the RV parking stretches now. Of course people want the RV parking right across the street, and if you/they are willing to pony up, then good for you.

I don't have an issue with ticket prices going up due to our success. Same with the RV lot passes - RV people are going to RV.

$90 per game to park is just stupid. And what makes it worse is that there literally aren't good options to park anywhere. Even the parking passes are garbage as far as where you get to park.

I'm baffled at the continuous campaign to funnel everything into the field house. Our tailgate sucks - unless of course you have an RV. While I don't mind wandering towards the field house an hour or so before kick, I prefer to chill with family and friends at my own tailgate for the hours before the game, as I would argue most people would. Drink my own beer, eat my own food. I suppose the argument is that the cost of a pass + own food >>> parking in BFE and eating and drinking at the field house.

w/e. Just another reason for Spokane/ Tri-Cities to not come to the games.

Some won't be happy with this (I'm never happy when I have to pay more for anything, much less when something "free" for years no longer is), but it will blow over and just become the way things are.

On the CAF priority thing, I don't think the small donor questioning whether to donate $150 a year is going to be affected that much by this. Their rank already would have been low. Who it will impact the most are some old-timers who haven't donated much but have had season tickets for a long time. Now they'll have to be in line behind the current bigger donors. In terms of current revenue and encouraging current donors (they get more bang for their buck) and incentivizing larger ongoing donations, this makes sense. It could piss off some people who, all else equal, I'd rather not -- some old-timers who have supported the program a long time -- but I think it's the right move in terms of achieving the goals in my prior sentence.

Some won't be happy with this (I'm never happy when I have to pay more for anything, much less when something "free" for years no longer is), but it will blow over and just become the way things are.

On the CAF priority thing, I don't think the small donor questioning whether to donate $150 a year is going to be affected that much by this. Their rank already would have been low. Who it will impact the most are some old-timers who haven't donated much but have had season tickets for a long time. Now they'll have to be in line behind the current bigger donors. In terms of current revenue and encouraging current donors (they get more bang for their buck) and incentivizing larger ongoing donations, this makes sense. It could piss off some people who, all else equal, I'd rather not -- some old-timers who have supported the program a long time -- but I think it's the right move in terms of achieving the goals in my prior sentence.
What I’m annoyed about is that it will probably screw me. I was inside the top 2,800 based on length of time with season tickets and cumulative donations. I don’t give that much annually, but it’s added up nicely. Now I’ll be near the top of my group, but there will be 5 full groups ahead of me, and no doubt opportunities for bandwagoners to jump ahead. I don’t expect we’ll even know anymore what our true rank is.

Reactions: earldacoug

Well stated. I did think the timing was curious - I just got another email talking about season tickets, then this one comes out about NEXT year. And since it sounds like a big hike, maybe they should have showed a side by side of the increases. Maybe it isn't even that bad.

Oh and I just read somewhere (hint: X) hat Shulz is talking seriously with 7 and 8 figure donors (plural) about the IPF, etc. Doubt any of these Cougs hang out here, but if you do please identify yourselves so that I can give you the respect and admiration due you.

What I’m annoyed about is that it will probably screw me. I was inside the top 2,800 based on length of time with season tickets and cumulative donations. I don’t give that much annually, but it’s added up nicely. Now I’ll be near the top of my group, but there will be 5 full groups ahead of me, and no doubt opportunities for bandwagoners to jump ahead. I don’t expect we’ll even know anymore what our true rank is.

Yeah, you're the target of this, frankly, and a simple response, completely in jest, would be "guess it's time to up the donation!"

Unfortunately, "bandwagoners," while rightly derided in other ways, are necessary for the AD to hit its goals and, perhaps, to remain viable. If those t-shirt fans are willing to pony up enough cash to get decent CAF priority, in some ways that's a great thing, and worst case, I think it's a survivable affront to the long-time season ticketholders who haven't donated much. It may prompt many of them to donate more, too.

These changes have officially priced me out of the Beasley RV Lot. I think I read the donation requirement is more than doubling to $2,500, and the lot fee will be in the $1,250 range. For you people who weren’t math majors, it’s pushing $4,000/year for a Lot #1 pass, and that doesn’t include season tickets.

It’ll be sad to say goodbye to the convenience of of the Beasley Lot, but I’m not upset about it. WSU needs to do this. The revenue opportunity is greatest among those with the deepest pockets, Truthfully, I’ve been wavering on renewing the pass for the past few years, so this change makes my decision easy.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
These changes have officially priced me out of the Beasley RV Lot. I think I read the donation requirement is more than doubling to $2,500, and the lot fee will be in the $1,250 range. For you people who weren’t math majors, it’s pushing $4,000/year for a Lot #1 pass, and that doesn’t include season tickets.

It’ll be sad to say goodbye to the convenience of of the Beasley Lot, but I’m not upset about it. WSU needs to do this. The revenue opportunity is greatest among those with the deepest pockets, Truthfully, I’ve been wavering on renewing the pass for the past few years, so this change makes my decision easy.

While you may be priced out, in perspective across the country at schools that win 11 games, this is probably modest.

If you want the best access to the best things, you pay for them.

This isn't WSU football 1990 any more. The innocence has been lost.

While you may be priced out, in perspective across the country at schools that win 11 games, this is probably modest.

If you want the best access to the best things, you pay for them.

This isn't WSU football 1990 any more. The innocence has been lost.

Absolutely. This is a no brainer for WSU. There aren't that many spots available in the Beasley lot, and there are more than enough people willing to pay the huge premium.

I guess I owe Paul Wulff a huge thank you. If he hadn't driven the program into the ground, I never would have been allocated a Beasley pass in the first place. :D

Absolutely. This is a no brainer for WSU. There aren't that many spots available in the Beasley lot, and there are more than enough people willing to pay the huge premium.

I guess I owe Paul Wulff a huge thank you. If he hadn't driven the program into the ground, I never would have been allocated a Beasley pass in the first place. :D

Yep, agree on that. Supply and demand. I guess the only bitch that us cheapskates have available is that these costs have risen far above the corresponding levels of inflation. As has college tuition and related costs. Blame the arms race for Athletics. Blame administrative bloat for college costs in general.

Not surprised. WSU needs money and it appears that they are willing to reward annual giving as opposed to cumulative giving. I don't have a huge issue with this, but I do think cumulative support should matter in some fashion.

Not surprised. WSU needs money and it appears that they are willing to reward annual giving as opposed to cumulative giving. I don't have a huge issue with this, but I do think cumulative support should matter in some fashion.
Complimentary Mike Leach bobblehead to the cumulatives to assuage the sting?

For those who park at Walmart, what are the options? I purchased season tickets this year, was not given the opportunity to buy a lot pass. Can we park on the streets in Pullman?

Good thing it doesn't cost 90 dollars a game!
Effectively, it does. You have to donate $500 to be eligible to buy one for $140. So, $640 divided by 7 games means you pay $91.42 per game for that parking permit.

And, they're steadily eliminating the areas you can park within a reasonable walk without a permit.

WSU provides 50+% of the funding for Pullman Transit, and probably 90+% of the ridership. They need to get in a boardroom and find a way to develop a more extensive park & ride program. As much as I hate giving them credit for anything, UW does a really good job with theirs. WSU should take notes.

For those who park at Walmart, what are the options? I purchased season tickets this year, was not given the opportunity to buy a lot pass. Can we park on the streets in Pullman?

Walmart announced that they are no longer accepting overnight parking for any game weekends.

We make decisions on how we spend our monies. I’m sure I’ll continue to renew, but Pullman as a destination plays out much different than the vast majority of college campuses and stadiums.
For me, I purchase 2-loge seats, fly up from my residence in LA to Spokane, rent a vehicle, and then get gouged with overnight stays. If we’re playing back-to-back weekends, instead of flying home, I’ll spend the week in Pullman / Moscow, which at least provides a little relief on weekday hotel costs.
It’s already a rather expensive weekend, and I’m good with the increase in tix costs, but not thrilled about additional parking costs.

Good question. Are you pulling a car?

Either way, I think Pullman may have a 24 hour street parking ordinance. Not sure, you could call the cops and find out. But all that means is you would have to move it (a little) once a day. Bummer is that on College Hill you have to go a long ways out to find a neighborhood where it isn't already packed or they have restricted parking (like on the hill above Magee Park, used to be a great spot). You also might be able to get away with parking at the High School or one of the other schools, especially if you move around a little over the weekend.

Good question. Are you pulling a car?

Either way, I think Pullman may have a 24 hour street parking ordinance. Not sure, you could call the cops and find out. But all that means is you would have to move it (a little) once a day. Bummer is that on College Hill you have to go a long ways out to find a neighborhood where it isn't already packed or they have restricted parking (like on the hill above Magee Park, used to be a great spot). You also might be able to get away with parking at the High School or one of the other schools, especially if you move around a little over the weekend.

I just have a 20’ trailer that I pull. Actually leave it in Pullman. I wish I could just stay in it at the storage place, but it would be against code. If this doesn’t get figured out, this will be the last year I buy season tickets, unfortunately.

I just have a 20’ trailer that I pull. Actually leave it in Pullman. I wish I could just stay in it at the storage place, but it would be against code. If this doesn’t get figured out, this will be the last year I buy season tickets, unfortunately.

Hmm. So I guess your best bet is to find a quiet, semi-convenient street to park. I really don't think they can or would do anything if you are sitting there in the evening.on the street. Especially if you tell the cop (or nosy neighbor) you've been drinking and can't move until morning.

Effectively, it does. You have to donate $500 to be eligible to buy one for $140. So, $640 divided by 7 games means you pay $91.42 per game for that parking permit.

And, they're steadily eliminating the areas you can park within a reasonable walk without a permit.

WSU provides 50+% of the funding for Pullman Transit, and probably 90+% of the ridership. They need to get in a boardroom and find a way to develop a more extensive park & ride program. As much as I hate giving them credit for anything, UW does a really good job with theirs. WSU should take notes.

Parking availability will always be the downside of having a stadium in the heart of campus like WSU does. As the university continues to grow, academic buildings will always be prioritized over gameday parking options near the stadium.

But to your point about per game cost, you are not required to buy a permit to park and attend games. Single game parking is around 30 bucks per game.

Hmm. So I guess your best bet is to find a quiet, semi-convenient street to park. I really don't think they can or would do anything if you are sitting there in the evening.on the street. Especially if you tell the cop (or nosy neighbor) you've been drinking and can't move until morning.

For what it's worth a few years ago I rented an RV and called the Pullman PD about parking regs. They said (at least on college hill) you can park an RV on the street. Ended up just parking at Walmart (before it got crazy popular) though.

Looks like an opportunity for the fraternities to make a few extra bucks renting out their parking lot spaces to RV/trailers.

640/7 = ???

That's the cost for a B pass.

I think you are missing the fact that if you are already donating money to CAF for good seats, you qualify for the CAF requirement for the parking, so your incremental cost for parking is only $140 or around $20 per game. It's a good way for WSU to squeeze another $5 to $10 per seat per game out of our fans. If Schulz (and Chun) run our athletic fund anything close to the way that K-State does (which was implemented while Schulz was there), prepare for some pretty significant cost jumps over the next five years if WSU continues to experience success on the grid iron.

Seating costs in the club seats and luxury boxes at KSU are far higher than what Coug fans are used to and I'm betting we edge that way over time if seating demand starts to climb to the point where the powers that be can feel good about it. If they can squeeze another $250 per person (on average) out of our paying fans in the near future, that's another $5 million in revenue without adding seats.

I think you are missing the fact that if you are already donating money to CAF for good seats, you qualify for the CAF requirement for the parking, so your incremental cost for parking is only $140 or around $20 per game. It's a good way for WSU to squeeze another $5 to $10 per seat per game out of our fans. If Schulz (and Chun) run our athletic fund anything close to the way that K-State does (which was implemented while Schulz was there), prepare for some pretty significant cost jumps over the next five years if WSU continues to experience success on the grid iron.

Seating costs in the club seats and luxury boxes at KSU are far higher than what Coug fans are used to and I'm betting we edge that way over time if seating demand starts to climb to the point where the powers that be can feel good about it. If they can squeeze another $250 per person (on average) out of our paying fans in the near future, that's another $5 million in revenue without adding seats.
I understand why they're making changes, but I question some of the wisdom. Bottom line is that these changes suck for fans like me, and are likely to force me to drop seats that I'd rather keep. I've hung on to 4 for going on 20 years, at least in part because it provides me a benefit in priority. I was high enough to be in the early cut for bowl tickets. Under the new structure, there's really no incentive for me to keep 4 - my priority level is going to drop anyway. Probably quite a bit.

It's another example of CFB turning to the big money. We've all seen it related to TV - they're willing to move games to ridiculous days and times in order to get the TV money, even if it means playing in a half empty stadium Now they're giving the single game and special game advantage to the money too, at the expense of the fans of more modest means. That's short-sighted, and the problem I see is that at some point in the future, when the program has some lean years (yes, I said when, not if), those big cash donors, corporate sponsors, etc. are going to go away. WSU is going to need the 7,000 or so of us who hung around, kept our seats, kept donating, and kept showing up during the dark years between 2008-2011. But right now, they're not acting like they do.

Well stated. I did think the timing was curious - I just got another email talking about season tickets, then this one comes out about NEXT year. And since it sounds like a big hike, maybe they should have showed a side by side of the increases. Maybe it isn't even that bad.

Oh and I just read somewhere (hint: X) hat Shulz is talking seriously with 7 and 8 figure donors (plural) about the IPF, etc. Doubt any of these Cougs hang out here, but if you do please identify yourselves so that I can give you the respect and admiration due you.

Here's what parking availability looked like the last time Loyal attended a Cougar football game ...
wsu_1924.jpg

Hopefully you keep your 4 seats. Gamedays are the best 6-7 days of the year.

Big picture, corporate/wealthy individuals are the key to long term success. They are less likely to run for the hills if another 2008-2011 happens and would probably be pressuring the school to move on after the disastrous 2008 campaign. From a numbers perspective, one Paul Allen would have been worth more than our existing givers.

Even at the new prices, Cougar tickets are a tremendous value. The problem is the school makes such a small percentage of the cost it takes to get to the game. Flight, rental cars, hotel/Air B&B all add up and WSU gets none of these expenses.

I understand why they're making changes, but I question some of the wisdom. Bottom line is that these changes suck for fans like me, and are likely to force me to drop seats that I'd rather keep. I've hung on to 4 for going on 20 years, at least in part because it provides me a benefit in priority. I was high enough to be in the early cut for bowl tickets. Under the new structure, there's really no incentive for me to keep 4 - my priority level is going to drop anyway. Probably quite a bit.

It's another example of CFB turning to the big money. We've all seen it related to TV - they're willing to move games to ridiculous days and times in order to get the TV money, even if it means playing in a half empty stadium Now they're giving the single game and special game advantage to the money too, at the expense of the fans of more modest means. That's short-sighted, and the problem I see is that at some point in the future, when the program has some lean years (yes, I said when, not if), those big cash donors, corporate sponsors, etc. are going to go away. WSU is going to need the 7,000 or so of us who hung around, kept our seats, kept donating, and kept showing up during the dark years between 2008-2011. But right now, they're not acting like they do.

Big picture, corporate/wealthy individuals are the key to long term success. They are less likely to run for the hills if another 2008-2011 happens and would probably be pressuring the school to move on after the disastrous 2008 campaign.
I disagree. Losing teams don't provide the exposure they want. Especially if they sign on during good times, they'll feel they're not getting good value during lean years. On the flip side, they may come aboard during lean years if they can lowball and get a bargain for when things turn around. But at 2-10/1-11, they're not going to be putting in much effort.

I disagree. Losing teams don't provide the exposure they want. Especially if they sign on during good times, they'll feel they're not getting good value during lean years. On the flip side, they may come aboard during lean years if they can lowball and get a bargain for when things turn around. But at 2-10/1-11, they're not going to be putting in much effort.

Big money is exactly what you need though to get things fixed if they fall off a cliff. It's also what keeps WSU competitive off the field with recruiting and such. Gonzaga hoops didn't become what they are today by placating the small number of fans they had in the 80s and early 90s who were there because it was cheap.

You have every reason to be disappointed with the decisions being made. I will say that it's important for you (and others in your position) to push back with reasonable questions and requests to see if you can positively impact the process. Some change is inevitable, and necessary, for WSU to be able to compete financially in the big money game that college football has become. If they miss the mark in trying to do that, I hope that they keep an open mind on improvements.

My other comment was merely pointing out that the incremental cost of the changes in parking are insignificant in the big picture.

The problem is the school makes such a small percentage of the cost it takes to get to the game. Flight, rental cars, hotel/Air B&B all add up and WSU gets none of these expenses.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, would much rather give the money to WSU in lieu of Delta, Avis, and Marriott.

Big money is exactly what you need though to get things fixed if they fall off a cliff. It's also what keeps WSU competitive off the field with recruiting and such. Gonzaga hoops didn't become what they are today by placating the small number of fans they had in the 80s and early 90s who were there because it was cheap.
Gonzaga Hoops built that culture on fun... Or Kegs before the game. Players loved playing in front of the Kennel Club.

It didn’t happen over night. The Jack and Dan’s lore. The Brown transfer. Stanford missing on Santangelo. Minnesota scandal....The Runner...Carolina missing on Turiaf.

It took a while but don’t kid yourself. It was built on fun!

The smartest thing Zags did was let KC keep their seats and not auction them off to the highest bidder

There is a balance

Reactions: metprof
The problem is the school makes such a small percentage of the cost it takes to get to the game. Flight, rental cars, hotel/Air B&B all add up and WSU gets none of these expenses.

--

Exactly, would much rather give the money to WSU in lieu of Delta, Avis, and Marriott.

This is an obvious but not oft-discussed (maybe because it's so obvious) point about donations and attendance at WSU. Don't forget the money going for gas, either. Our fans shell out a ton of money to attend games, even if we leave aside the time and inconvenience, especially for weeknight games, night games, and the like. It's pretty solid to get 30,000 in attendance while a lot of Pac-12 programs can only get a relatively meager incremental attendance bump over that despite having much larger local populations, ample lodging, transit systems that can bring people to where the stadium is, etc.

Well stated. Ensuring fans of all means can enjoy the fun is key to the longterm success of the program.

My first reaction after reading Chun's letter was to conclude he's not being successful enough with large donors and thus is squeezing the little guys harder. No matter how many games the Cougs win, Pullman is not South Bend or Columbus and has disadvantages they don't.

I understand our ticket prices were low and needed to increase somewhat BUT while you're trying to increase involvement with the program you simultaneously raise prices across the board (parking increases, RV increases, Walmart no longer an option, etc.)? Doesn't appear to be the best move.

Gonzaga Hoops built that culture on fun... Or Kegs before the game. Players loved playing in front of the Kennel Club.

It didn’t happen over night. The Jack and Dan’s lore. The Brown transfer. Stanford missing on Santangelo. Minnesota scandal....The Runner...Carolina missing on Turiaf.

It took a while but don’t kid yourself. It was built on fun!

The smartest thing Zags did was let KC keep their seats and not auction them off to the highest bidder

There is a balance

What a bunch of cheap SOB's. Good grief. If you don't like it stop halfway in Ellensburg and cheer for CWU. Im sure Walmart will let you park your RV there.

Good lord. WSU has $1 menu fans griping about the cost of a value meal. Maybe the athletic department should have sent applications for RV parking at other schools so you could see how great a deal you're getting??? Or what a bad deal they're fans are getting cause they suck???

You turds would show up at kegger and complain about the free beer. But when the beer got better and was $5 you pissed on that too.

Turds. All of you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT