ADVERTISEMENT

Klay Thompson....

The Larry Bird of Washington State.

Since 2011, I don't think we've seen or produced a bigger name or superstar - football or basketball, than Klay Thompson.

Anyone disagree?

When Rypien won the SuperBowl I was like wow that's the apex. People like Keith Jackson are a legend, but I think as far as I can remember I've never seen an Elite Superstar like Klay Thompson. That is year over year dynamo unreal performances.

I'm so glad he ended up at Golden State. Seriously that was like the perfect storm of talent and coaching knowing what to do with that talent and with Steph Curry Thompson isn't overshadowed but thrives in his own right. It's like what do you do against that? Seriously how do you stop not 1 but 2 guys who can just murder you at distance.

I've never had more fun watching basketball than watching golden state. I'm not much of a basketball fan but Klay really has changed that.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Well i am pulling for Houston and Cleveland to make the finals. However the injury situation makes that unlikely.

I echo Tron with regard to GS being as good a fit as possible for Klay. Curry needs a Klay, just like Klay needs a Curry. And the two together are greater than the sum of their parts.

I have always been a fan of L James. I also dislike the arrogance of the warriors and their stockpiling of talent. I root for the underdogs much of the time .Perhaps that another reason is why i root for the cougs.

Every time there is rumor of an NBA team coming back to Seattle I think how perfect it would be for Klay to be part of that.

On the subject of the playoffs- I can’t decide. Warriors are like watching a symphony. Rockets are fun as hell to watch as well and how can you not like a guy like Chris Paul. Celtics doing it with no superstars and pure grit. Cleveland - Lebron is a beast carrying that team and city. In Spokane it would be like a kid from Rogers telling Gprep to F off and carrying his homies well beyond where they belong.

You could certainly talk about stockpiling talent with Durant, but that team was built from the ground up.

You could certainly talk about stockpiling talent with Durant, but that team was built from the ground up.

It's ironic that he feels that way, as Lebron went to Miami and played for a team that was put together by signing superstar free agents. The Warriors signed one bigname free agent. Lot's of teams do that.

I hope Klay and the Warriors win it all again this year. I remember going to the Key and watching Durant. He still says nice things about his time in Seattle.

How sweet it is;King James kicked the celtics butt all by himself. Now the Rockets have to win and the "dream match up"up for for coug fans will never happen. Lets go Rockets!

Thank you,that is a good compliment . It is funny that just because i go against the grain and dislike teams which everyone else on this board likes,i am considered"odd". I think that it is "odd" that people fall in lock step with each other on sports teams.It is probably asking too much to have the Rockets prevail with one of their stars sidelined. However ,i will be oddly happy if the Warriors go down in flames tonight.

I think it’s that odd that on a WSU fan forum, you’re celebrating that “a dream matchup for Coug fans will never happen.”

But that’s just me.

Somehow,oddly,i supported coug players when they were collegiate players. The professorial sports teams are a whole different matter in my opinion. I have never lived in California or Boston and will not support them.If i lived in in either places,i would be more inclined to support their teams. I happen to like the style of play and the players on Cleveland. I am happy for the ex coug players now making a excellent living playing on their respective professional teams.However, i will not support an ex coug if i do not like their team. Why support their team if somehow i am not connected with their team or they are not a professional player whose style and or ability i admire purely as a player.That's just me.

I'm not much of an NBA fan. Got burned out after covering the Blazers as a sports reporter for 8 years back in the 80s. (tough assignment....had to go to all home games.) Also, don't really like the general style of play in the NBA and feel that it has adversely impacted the college game...but I admit I'm a dinosaur.

Having said all that, it would have been sweet to know that Klay or Baynes was going to be a world champion. Good guys who are easy to root for.

Glad Cougar

Somehow,oddly,i supported coug players when they were collegiate players. The professorial sports teams are a whole different matter in my opinion. I have never lived in California or Boston and will not support them.If i lived in in either places,i would be more inclined to support their teams. I happen to like the style of play and the players on Cleveland. I am happy for the ex coug players now making a excellent living playing on their respective professional teams.However, i will not support an ex coug if i do not like their team. Why support their team if somehow i am not connected with their team or they are not a professional player whose style and or ability i admire purely as a player.That's just me.

What is odd, is that you reveled in our dissapointment...... then you talk about underdogs and that’s why you root for WSU. Most of us here root for the Cougs because WE ARE Cougs. Thanks for your support of the ‘underdog’, I guess. Yeah, your posts are odd to say the least.

Reactions: ATACFD
First of all, as for people rooting for WSU because they are "underdogs"? I don't ever want the word 'dog' to be associated with WSU. So say undercats or something if you must. But if WSU was a perennial national champion and always favored, I would still root for the Cougs.

As for the original topic: I found myself easing my boycott of the NBA just to watch these 2 fabulous ex WSU players. I enjoyed it. It has been a while. I might just have to let bygones be bygones as far as what happened to the Sonics and watch the finals regardless of who is in it.

Reactions: CrimsonDisciple
I guess in CD s view some fans are more fans than others. What a crock and he should be severely whipped with wet noodles for his comical view. I find him odd that he thinks he is "more coug" than other people. I will guess that i am not the only coug graduate who is backing either the Cavs or the Rockets. Some just like to blow their own old horn so others will listen

What is odd, is that you reveled in our dissapointment...... then you talk about u der dogs and that’s why you root for WSU. Most of us here root for the Cougs because WE ARE Cougs. Thanks for your support of the ‘underdog’, I guess.
I guess in CD s view some fans are more fans than others. What a crock and he should be severely whipped with wet noodles for his comical view. I find him odd that he thinks he is "more coug" than other people. I will guess that i am not the only coug graduate who is backing either the Cavs or the Rockets. Some just like to blow their own old horn so others will listen

I’m not a ‘fan’. I am a Coug. Sorry, I don’t get your aspect.

Btw, go Warriors! Go brother Klay!

Well you will not have to worry as the warriors will be favored so all the warrior fans like you will probably celebrate. i will root for the Cavs and not my brother "coug" That s almost comical but i guess others feel like you do while others may feel like i do.

I have always been a fan of L James. I also dislike the arrogance of the warriors and their stockpiling of talent. I root for the underdogs much of the time .Perhaps that another reason is why i root for the cougs.

I can understand rooting for Lebron James. It's kind of funny that he's so reviled by the haters that he's become an underdog.....which is hilarious when you consider his ridiculous talent.

As for complaining about "stockpiling talent".......I don't get that one and I think you've allowed yourself to be deluded by the anti-Warrior propaganda. When you look at Golden State's roster, what players did they trade for that were known "superstars" before they joined the Warriors? Curry was a draft pick, Thompson was a draft pick, Green was a draft pick, Livingston was a journeyman that nobody wanted before Golden State, Javale McGee was just another big man (still is?) who was getting bounced around through three teams in two years before the Warriors picked him up

Iguodala had one all star season at Philadelphia before going to Denver and then the Warriors. Obviously Durant was a known "superstar" before joining them. So, on a roster of 14 players, the Warriors have one guy who was a multiple pick All Star before joining the Warriors, one guy who had one great season and a bunch of has beens or probably never will be's plus three guys that they drafted that turned out to be exactly what they needed. Why is that evil compared to what other teams have done? Cleveland is full of hired guns that they've brought in with the hopes that they would gel around James. Golden State is guilty of stockpiling talent because they've created a culture where players value the team above themselves and stick around. Both Thompson and Durant have agreed to smaller contracts than they could have gotten to be part of the team. That's rare in basketball and should be celebrated, not denigrated.

Last edited:
Reactions: bogusto
A follow up to my post. Here are the players that lead the Cavs in playoff scoring and how they got there:

Lebron James: Drafted
Kevin Love: Acquired in a trade, All-Star at Minnesota
Kyle Korver: Acquired in a trade, All-Star at Atlanta
George Hill: Acquired in a trade
JR Smith: Acquired in a trade, NBA 6th man with the Knicks
Jeff Green: Acquired in a trade, NBA All Rookie Team
Tristan Thompson: Drafted

Rockets?

Harden: Trade
Paul: Trade
Gordon: Trade
Capela: Drafted
Tucker: Trade
Ariza: Trade
Green: Trade

So, you have to go 7 deep in the scoring chart on the Cavaliers roster to get to the 2nd guy that they have who was a draft pick. The rest of their starters are guys that they traded for. Houston is a team built on trades with 4 of their top 7 players having been on the team for less than two seasons and 6 of the top 7 coming to the team through trades. 3 of the top 4 scoring players for Golden State were draft picks by the Warriors. Again, Golden State is guilty of making good draft picks and then building depth with a few solid trades. Durant is the only player that they've got on the roster who joined them as a known superstar and they had already won an NBA championship without him. If anything, he's had a negative impact on Steph Curry but you don't hear Steph complaining because he'd rather be a champion than being on a team whose fans are bitching about how the other teams are doing it better.

Last edited:
A follow up to my post. Here are the players that lead the Cavs in playoff scoring and how they got there:

Lebron James: Drafted
Kevin Love: Acquired in a trade, All-Star at Minnesota
Kyle Korver: Acquired in a trade, All-Star at Atlanta
George Hill: Acquired in a trade
JR Smith: Acquired in a trade, NBA 6th man with the Knicks
Jeff Green: Acquired in a trade, NBA All Rookie Team
Tristan Thompson: Drafted

So, you have to go 7 deep in the scoring chart on the Cavaliers roster to get to the 2nd guy that they have who was a draft pick. the rest of their starters are guys that they traded for. 3 of the top 4 scoring players for Golden State were draft picks by the Warriors. Again, Golden State is guilty of making good draft picks and then building depth with a few solid trades. Durant is the only player that they've got on the roster who joined them as a known superstar and they had already won an NBA championship without him. If anything, he's had a negative impact on Steph Curry but you don't hear Steph complaining because he'd rather be a champion than being on a team whose fans are bitching about how the other teams are doing it better.

There are certain players in the NBA who elevate their teammates. Lebron is that type of guy, and there are those who are still great players but detract from their teammates and Durant is that type of guy.

Steph Curry by nature is a point guard and yes he can take over a game but he elevates. Klay obviously is that support type superstar that when the game is on the line he won't let the team down and will takeover, but he is perfectly comfortable helping his teammates.

Lebron is like a hybrid of Thompson and Curry with just a massive physical presence. There is no doubt in the NBA he is the single best player / teammate in the NBA because of his consistency, raw skills, and willing to support his teammates.

While people bag on him for going to Miami, I think he really wanted to win a championship so badly and knew that he just didn't have the support structure to win at Cleveland at the time and knew that with Bosch and Wade he could win. He went and they won, and then when that was over he saw that Cleveland had Kyrie Irving and was like...hey they have somebody besides me there who can play. Time to go back home. They also got Kevin Love and now Lebron had teammates that he could win with in Cleveland that he never had in his first stint.

And they won. But it was clear that Irving felt overshadowed by Lebron and wanted to be the Franchise center piece and opted to be traded to boston.

Lebron James has won titles at two different teams as the leader of the franchise. That's incredibly hard to do and sort of shows how the guy really is the best playeer in the NBA, but.... but...

The Warriors are a much more interesting story of how a perennial doormat in the NBA as you said rose up out of nowhere with some extremely saavy picks and some extremely saavy coaching and play style. It wasn't just super star mashup led by the best player in the NBA since Jordan. It was a bunch of young upstarts who came out of nowhere and developed viscious range attack and smart rotating defense.

Durant came to play with an unselfish team, but isn't used to being unselfish.

Lebron goes to lead a team with pieces he can win with and elevate.

In my opinion, Lebron would be a WAY WAY better fit for Golden State than Durant. Just because they would rarely if ever lose a game. It would be too unfair to have someone who can control the center of the court like Lebron and dominate through physical athleticism and then some nasty permiter killers waiting in the wings.

There are certain players in the NBA who elevate their teammates. Lebron is that type of guy, and there are those who are still great players but detract from their teammates and Durant is that type of guy.

Steph Curry by nature is a point guard and yes he can take over a game but he elevates. Klay obviously is that support type superstar that when the game is on the line he won't let the team down and will takeover, but he is perfectly comfortable helping his teammates.

Lebron is like a hybrid of Thompson and Curry with just a massive physical presence. There is no doubt in the NBA he is the single best player / teammate in the NBA because of his consistency, raw skills, and willing to support his teammates.

While people bag on him for going to Miami, I think he really wanted to win a championship so badly and knew that he just didn't have the support structure to win at Cleveland at the time and knew that with Bosch and Wade he could win. He went and they won, and then when that was over he saw that Cleveland had Kyrie Irving and was like...hey they have somebody besides me there who can play. Time to go back home. They also got Kevin Love and now Lebron had teammates that he could win with in Cleveland that he never had in his first stint.

And they won. But it was clear that Irving felt overshadowed by Lebron and wanted to be the Franchise center piece and opted to be traded to boston.

Lebron James has won titles at two different teams as the leader of the franchise. That's incredibly hard to do and sort of shows how the guy really is the best playeer in the NBA, but.... but...

The Warriors are a much more interesting story of how a perennial doormat in the NBA as you said rose up out of nowhere with some extremely saavy picks and some extremely saavy coaching and play style. It wasn't just super star mashup led by the best player in the NBA since Jordan. It was a bunch of young upstarts who came out of nowhere and developed viscious range attack and smart rotating defense.

Durant came to play with an unselfish team, but isn't used to being unselfish.

Lebron goes to lead a team with pieces he can win with and elevate.

In my opinion, Lebron would be a WAY WAY better fit for Golden State than Durant. Just because they would rarely if ever lose a game. It would be too unfair to have someone who can control the center of the court like Lebron and dominate through physical athleticism and then some nasty permiter killers waiting in the wings.

Agree 100% across the board. I'll say that Durant has done a decent job of trying to be a good team player, but he still succumbs to hero ball too often and has brought that out of other players at times. I could see Lebron being a better choice than Durant, but that would make things even more unfair than they already are. I get ElC's complaint about Golden State's talent because it is ridiculous to see what they've built, even though I think their methods have been fair and balanced and it's everybody else's fault that they let it happen. 6 teams skipped their chance at Curry, 10 teams passed on Klay and 34 teams skipped Draymond Green. If Golden State beats Cleveland again, I think everyone kind of suspects that Lebron will move on again, and more people will hate him for it, but it just means that if ends up at Boston.....they'll be in the NBA finals without a doubt....and frankly, any Eastern Conference team with Lebron becomes an NBA finalist contender because the guy is just that good.

Getting back to Klay, he's sacrificed a lot of personal "glory" to be part of a great team and has accepted a lesser role than most players would have done. It will be interesting to see how long he stays at Golden State. He's said before that he wants to retire there and is willing to take a smaller paycheck to do so, but I wonder if that will last.

I think that the warriors take it in 5-6 games. They have too much overall talent than Cleveland. Labron is the best basketball -player on the planet but he really does not have a good supporting cast.Love is fine as the number three man but not as the second best. Next season Labron will play on a different team. I will guess that it will be for the Los Angeles Lakers.

Agree 100% across the board. I'll say that Durant has done a decent job of trying to be a good team player, but he still succumbs to hero ball too often and has brought that out of other players at times. I could see Lebron being a better choice than Durant, but that would make things even more unfair than they already are. I get ElC's complaint about Golden State's talent because it is ridiculous to see what they've built, even though I think their methods have been fair and balanced and it's everybody else's fault that they let it happen. 6 teams skipped their chance at Curry, 10 teams passed on Klay and 34 teams skipped Draymond Green. If Golden State beats Cleveland again, I think everyone kind of suspects that Lebron will move on again, and more people will hate him for it, but it just means that if ends up at Boston.....they'll be in the NBA finals without a doubt....and frankly, any Eastern Conference team with Lebron becomes an NBA finalist contender because the guy is just that good.

Getting back to Klay, he's sacrificed a lot of personal "glory" to be part of a great team and has accepted a lesser role than most players would have done. It will be interesting to see how long he stays at Golden State. He's said before that he wants to retire there and is willing to take a smaller paycheck to do so, but I wonder if that will last.

Klay is making almost $18 million with 2 years left on his contract. So talk of a "smaller paycheck" is two years out. Curry makes $34 (5 years left), Durant $25 (2 years left). Doubt Klay will ever agree to a paycut, but I could see him staying all career for $18-20 million (today's dollars). Betcha $5 he already has saved and invested wisely and is set for life.

With regard to our other Coug, I am still mad as he!! about the last 2 games. In both they put Baynes back in as a starter, and he did good, if not great. Announcers were complimenting his defense - he even guarded LeBron multiple times with as much or more success as anyone else. Then in both games they pulled him early in the second half and sat him right after he had made a great play (block in Game 6, fouls and 3/4 on free throws in the 7th). Then the Celtics game devolved into "me-me" ratball and they lost both. And in both the C's got killed in the middle.

All season, and now too, the talk is all about how to keep their glut of guards and wings, with Baynes being an afterthought. He has said he wants to stay put, and likely would for a modest raise over his $4.3 million salary. But another $5 sez they foolishly let him go, and if so I hope he gets picked up by a team that values his smart, tough TEAM play and gives him a chance to continue to be a starter.

Last edited:
Tron, I agree with your points.

And as I've said before, Curry needs a Klay in the same way that Klay needs a Curry. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Give one of the best PG's in the last 30 years (Curry) a consistent 2 who can shoot and play outstanding D and you have the Splash Brothers. Most top PG's don't get a 2 like Klay, and therefore don't reach that status. Likewise, most top 2's in the league don't get to play with a guy who can do 80% of what Curry does.

Toss in some good bigs and a 3 that can shoot or penetrate and you have the Warriors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT