ADVERTISEMENT

Leach a candidate for....

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
just thought I'd start preparing everyone for the inevitable "Leach is a candidate for the _________ job" rumors.

Get ready, here it comes.

You may well be right. If we win two out of the last three games or even win all of them then we can expect the radio guys in Seattle to shift gears from 'Leach is a failure and will soon be fired' to 'Leach is a winner and will abandon Pullman at the first opportunity'.

Depends on if we win out or what.

If we were to win out (which I think is pretty unlikely) and finish 10-3...He could be in contention for a lot of jobs.

There have a been a few sightings of Texas Tech people on cougar outlets wishing they could have him back. I see this as tremendously unlikely for how everything ended with him there, but it's understandable the fans feel that way since they haven't won as many games as his last season there. It's been 7 years and noting better than his last year there? I can see the desire to want to bring him back.

Virginia - Academic school...stolen from us before...I don't trust them at all. They totally are the type that could try to make a play.

Miami - I don't see this happening. I think they interviewed Leach once or something and went another way. Didn't work out for them the other way apparently, but I think it would be rare to circle back.

Maryland - Possible. They tried once before and decided to go another way. But it could be the Miami thing again.

Iowa State / Minnesota - I don't see Leach as a midwest kind of guy...probably not.

UCF - Not enough money

I just don't see anywhere being able to offer him what we can...The only place I think he would actually go to would be a big big program. I don't see it happening anywhere else, and I don't see any of the big jobs being a fit/interest for Leach.

He has such a good deal with Moos it would have to be something unreal for him to leave.

Now, I don't think Leach is leaving, but this comment. Ummmm.....

What I mean is what we offer with Moos the freedom to run the program exactly his way without any bureaucracy. That's pretty rare, and I'm sure Leach knows that. It would have to be a pretty tremendous setup to trump what we are offering him. Good salary. Good Administration. etc. that's hard to beat.

Reactions: 79COUG
just thought I'd start preparing everyone for the inevitable "Leach is a candidate for the _________ job" rumors.

Get ready, here it comes.
There is only one job he would leave for and that job opens us once every 15 or so years. And I would be surprised if it opens up in the next three years. He likes it in Pullman, it is right up his alley. He likes the autonomy, he likes being able to be himself and not have administration in his everyday business. he can be a little...what is the word...at odds with the media at times and to the media and Moos is ok with it. He lets him be.

Virginia and Maryland are institutions that are way, way way too politically correct for Leach's liking. As you said, Leach stays at WSU because he has a great relationship with Moos, he gets to run his program with little interference and the future is bright. Leach interviewed at Maryland four years ago and did not make a favorable impression with his outspokeness. Doubtful he gets another chance. UVa and UMd are bad fits for him.

Virginia and Maryland are institutions that are way, way way too politically correct for Leach's liking. As you said, Leach stays at WSU because he has a great relationship with Moos, he gets to run his program with little interference and the future is bright. Leach interviewed at Maryland four years ago and did not make a favorable impression with his outspokeness. Doubtful he gets another chance. UVa and UMd are bad fits for him.
Like I said, there is really nly one job that he would leave for and the job doesn't open up very often.

I'm guessing you're referring to BYU, Leach's alma mater.
If it's BYU there is no chance he would fit. Isn't he a 'Jack Mormon' anyway? I could see him taking a look anywhere close to Florida. I think he's good with Pullman/WSU as long as he has the current level of autonomy. There really aren't a lot of places where he makes sense while he is perfect for WSU right now.

As someone else posted it cracks me up how quickly you can go from "washed up/game has past him" status to "first train out of town".

What does your "staff member" friend tell you? I know who he is.
You do? Please share who you think it is, or give me the initials. You have no clue who told me how happy Leach is in Pullman.

I'm guessing you're referring to BYU, Leach's alma mater.
You are talking about Mike Leach. He can't follow their rules. :) If someone gave me 20 guesses I would have BYU in my top 5 and I could have gone through 20 guesses and still be wrong.

The greater point is he really likes his lifestyle in Pullman. He is an eccentric cowboy. You could put him just about anywhere and he would find a way to enjoy himself. It is a rare trait.

Last edited:
I thought about BYU too. But a snuff dipping, whiskey drinking Jack Mormon in Provo? Cannot get my head around that one. He is happy here, we are on the verge of the success that he has been working for the past four years and I don't see him walking away from that and starting over somewhere else. Not at his age. Nothing is impossible but I expect that Pullman is the last stop on his career trail.

Reactions: chinookpirate
You do? Please share who you think it is, or give me the initials. You have no clue who told me how happy Leach is in Pullman.
I do! I do! Well, I think I do.

I think it is someone who might as well take twenty.

Last edited:
The coaching carousel is going to get crazy this year.

Minnesota, Iowa State, Maryland, USC, USC, Va. Tech, Va., Miami, UCF and I'm sure there will be others. I could see USC going after someone that already has a really good job in a good conference that could make things interesting from a Leach perspective but agree he'll likely stick around.

I'm a fan of Beau Baldwin at EWU. I hope he gets his chance once a few of the mid-level coaches start moving up the ladder.

10 wins... and I think that's likely at this point... and Leach will be attached to EVERY big job, by the media.
He could win it with 9 wins or share it with another coach as has been the case in the past. Do your research HWGC's.

I get that you're bitter I get to enjoy watching this team play in Pullman and you can't... but... This is a good team. I think we beat UCLA and win out.

I believe this team can win 10 games in 2015.

Can't see Leach leaving after this season. Any offers will be latteral or close to latteral moves and he has very secure position here. They can't or won't offer big money and we are a reasonably young team. If WSU has a big year next season, he could be in line for a big time job. Unlike TT, when WSU has a big year, it leaves an impression nationally..

Exception: Mrs. Leach -- if she doesn't like Pullman, all bets are off.

Can't see Leach leaving after this season. Any offers will be latteral or close to latteral moves and he has very secure position here. They can't or won't offer big money and we are a reasonably young team. If WSU has a big year next season, he could be in line for a big time job. Unlike TT, when WSU has a big year, it leaves an impression nationally..

Exception: Mrs. Leach -- if she doesn't like Pullman, all bets are off.
As for the rumors....let's see...it was Oklahoma St, New Mexico. Florida OC, Maryland (that was a done deal), Miami, Vanderbilt, Houston, UCLA, Colorado....Oakland Raiders....how many others am I leaving out. I think that was just one year. People have gone a full 180 from thinking he's definitely on the hot seat to thinking he's a candidate for every job. Those of us who had confidence in his ability the entire time love seeing the turn around. :)

Reactions: Coug95man2
N
As for the rumors....let's see...it was Oklahoma St, New Mexico. Florida OC, Maryland (that was a done deal), Miami, Vanderbilt, Houston, UCLA, Colorado....Oakland Raiders....how many others am I leaving out. I think that was just one year. People have gone a full 180 from thinking he's definitely on the hot seat to thinking he's a candidate for every job. Those of us who had confidence in his ability the entire time love seeing the turn around. :)
Not a single one of those rumors contained an ounce of credibility.

Win ten games in Pullman and suddenly every rumor contains some level of credibility.

Is this really so hard?

I get that you're bitter I get to enjoy watching this team play in Pullman and you can't... but... This is a good team. I think we beat UCLA and win out.

I believe this team can win 10 games in 2015.

My how we go to this from this on Sep. 10th......
Torn, last year, we WON. this year we LOST. Yes, that is all that matters, in the end... especially so in year four behind "the BEST Coach in America.".

Losers lose.

Winners win. We are winning. Come to Pullman, you'll see.
"There is no joy in Mudville today... the mighty Leach, struck out... again... But we sure did try good! Popsicles for everybody!"
- C-pirate

Clearly no issue of highs and lows with you...

I know.

It's much easier when we're winning.
You've got a lot of enthusiasm now for a guy who not too long ago was ready to bench our record setting soph. QB:

"Perform or move aside.

This is big boy football. Stop cheering for playing time. Realize that in all our awesome awesomeness yesterday, we were outscored 4 td's to 1 over the final 32 min of the game by a mid tier team engaged in a rebuild of their own."

You've got a lot of enthusiasm now for a guy who not too long ago was ready to bench our record setting soph. QB:

"Perform or move aside.

This is big boy football. Stop cheering for playing time. Realize that in all our awesome awesomeness yesterday, we were outscored 4 td's to 1 over the final 32 min of the game by a mid tier team engaged in a rebuild of their own."
why do you hate success?

"There is no joy in Mudville today... the mighty Leach, struck out... again... But we sure did try good! Popsicles for everybody!"
- C-pirate

Clearly no issue of highs and lows with you...
Popsicles for EVERYBODY this week, though. spot the difference?

What's interesting is that the two names I've seen bandied about as going outside the Pac for jobs are RichRod (closer to home, good options available) and... Sonny Dykes. Refers to the culture issues at Cal- evidently, still not a permanent AD in place, suggests that he'd consider going sub P5 for the right job, back toward Texas.

Leach isn't going anywhere. Just stop.
Leach never left Tech. My guess is Moos is going to have to find another couple million, but what we are set to embark on will be be close to 2003. And I will be extra clear on that. They will go bowling three straight years. Not saying they will have three ten win seasons cause I am not sure they get to ten wins this year. But they will compete and win the PAc 12 north next year and play in the championship, and 2017 the Apple Cup will be for teh Pac 12 north played in Seattle.

"Perform or move aside.

Finger, was Chinook the only person you read that thought they should bench Falk after the first game?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT