ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like its Wilcox to Cal

I suspect this will turn out to be a good hire.

Cal could hire Jesus H. Christ himself and they would still lose. Until the university has everyone on board and pulling the same direction it doesn't matter who Cal hires to coach football. They will suck and lose.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
Good coach. Good step for Cal. Will be interesting to see his recruiting strategy…guys previous to Dykes were big on recruiting the bay area plus national forays, and didn't spend a lot of time in SoCal. That changed over the past 2 years, but it will also be interesting to see how many of the existing commits flip.

Regardless of what he does right, he has a toxic environment with which to contend at Cal. Paddling upstream with a small paddle...

Wilcox ? Has he ever been a head coach ? Do most young players even know who he is ? I don't think his name has much pull. Just a guess on my part. Combine that with the other institutional problems that Cal has and my guess is he will struggle.

Wilcox ? Has he ever been a head coach ? Do most young players even know who he is ? I don't think his name has much pull. Just a guess on my part. Combine that with the other institutional problems that Cal has and my guess is he will struggle.
Interested to see what kind of staff he can put together.

Yes, they do. He was the high profile DC at USC just two years ago and has long contacts with high school coaches up and down the coast. Players in LA especially know who he is. Plus, his resume is outstanding, so any player that Googles him can see that he is legit.

Wilcox also spent time as an assistant under Tedford, so he knows what he is getting into. That is certainly no guarantee of success, but certainly he is not going in blind.

He has next to zero name value. The question I always ask is this... ABC Head Coach from PAC 12 school and XYZ Head Coach from PAC 12 school show up at the same high school to speak with the same recruit. The recruit can only pick one coach. He has only name brand to go on. Who does he pick?

Wilcox or Mora?
Wilcox or Shaw?
Wilcox or Petersen?
Wilcox or Helton?
Wilcox or Leach?
Wilcox or Rodriguez?
Wilcox or Les Miles?
Wilcox or Wulff?

Ok. The last one was a bad joke. I hope you get my point.

Cal just hired a head coach with zero head coaching experience, zero brand name and maybe 3 weeks to put together a recruiting class. If they were unhappy with Dykes now, give it 4 years. Cal just hired the equivalent of Paul Wulff.

Reactions: earldacoug
Local Sports Radio in Chandler had a Cal beat writer on talking Wilcox as a possible hire. He suggested that he would give the D-Cord job to The Vagabond Jimmy Lake.

He has next to zero name value. The question I always ask is this... ABC Head Coach from PAC 12 school and XYZ Head Coach from PAC 12 school show up at the same high school to speak with the same recruit. The recruit can only pick one coach. He has only name brand to go on. Who does he pick?

Wilcox or Mora?
Wilcox or Shaw?
Wilcox or Petersen?
Wilcox or Helton?
Wilcox or Leach?
Wilcox or Rodriguez?
Wilcox or Les Miles?
Wilcox or Wulff?

Ok. The last one was a bad joke. I hope you get my point.

Cal just hired a head coach with zero head coaching experience, zero brand name and maybe 3 weeks to put together a recruiting class. If they were unhappy with Dykes now, give it 4 years. Cal just hired the equivalent of Paul Wulff.

Before Leach took over at TT, he had no previous head coaching experience. Heck, he didn't even play college football. He did fine in the living rooms.

While Wulff had been a head coach, it was at a FCS school. Wilcox has a long resume of being at Wisconsin, the uw, Tennessee, USC, etc. His resume it good and he has already has high school contacts up and down the west coach, including LA.

Wulff also had zero personality.

Local Sports Radio in Chandler had a Cal beat writer on talking Wilcox as a possible hire. He suggested that he would give the D-Cord job to The Vagabond Jimmy Lake.

Peter Sirmon is currently the DC at Louisville. However, one of his closest friends is Justin Wilcox and they have coached together at several stops. I could see the job going to him.

Before Leach took over at TT, he had no previous head coaching experience. Heck, he didn't even play college football. He did fine in the living rooms.

While Wulff had been a head coach, it was at a FCS school. Wilcox has a long resume of being at Wisconsin, the uw, Tennessee, USC, etc. His resume it good and he has already has high school contacts up and down the west coach, including LA.

Wulff also had zero personality.

Leach got a head job in a different era. I don't believe in today's age of branding that you can hire a guy without some kind of name preceding him.

I disagree on his long resume. The guy is 40 years old. He's a young coach. He was fired from SC. I don't see him marching into LA and beating SC. And as I wrote before, I don't see any recruits turning down Mora to speak with Wilcox.

He has 3 weeks to recruit a class, he is inheriting a team trending downward, he doesn't have much of an admin pulling for the success of the football program and he has zero culture. If you want to believe he can overcome all those things, fine. I do not.

Reactions: earldacoug
Beau may make it. He is not a bad O mind. But he will be minimal help in this year's recruiting class.

Great. Just when I thought I'd seen the last of his creeper lip licking.

L0Qv5.gif

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT