ADVERTISEMENT

luton apparently ok

It wasn't launching. It wasn't targeting. Flat is just being stubborn and stupid.

Everyone has destroyed Flat's argument, especially Fab with his screen shots. Flat even tried to change the argument by bringing up an entirely different situation with Falk and UCLA to deflect. Stubborn is correct.

Reactions: YakiCoug
The UCLA shot was definitely a cheap shot and targeting. The hit by Thompson was not nearly as egregious, but both were situations where players launched themselves at an opposing QB without any attempt to tackle and the intent was to hit them as hard as they could. If you look at both videos, both players launched themselves at the QB in almost exactly the same fashion, although Thompson was closer when he started the launch. I'm of the position that players need to quit thinking that it's a good idea to just throw themselves blindly into opposing players, particularly when it results in a broken neck.

You will argue that football is a contact sport and all I can say is that kind of attitude is what is going to kill the sport. Concussions and long term head trauma are serious issues that put the sport in danger of not existing. The kind of hit that Thompson laid on Luton is an example of the kind of macho stupidity that used to be expected back in the day but will not fly going forward.

I will come out of mostly lurker mode to give Flat some good advice:
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/64/7d/50/647d505658d903b424b4a1a9f7d4b534.jpg

Reactions: YakiCoug
Reactions: ATACFD
Ok.....I wasn't going to say anything else about this but it's total bullshit to say that he didn't launch himself at the QB. Watch the video. He leaves his feet leading with his shoulder without making any attempt to wrap up the QB.

ESPN video

Watch the video at 0:45 above and tell me he didn't blindly launch himself at Luton. To be fair, our defender was tackling Luton to the ground so he was lower to the ground than anticipated so he ended up hitting Luton higher than he may have intended, but he wouldn't know that because he was too busy launching himself for a big hit instead of tackling the ball carrier.

If Luke Falk's career ended on a hit like this, you guys would be losing your freaking minds about how cheap you thought the hit was. You'll never admit that of course......but that's ok. For the record, I don't think that Thompson took a cheap shot at Luton. I think he demonstrated the piss poor, "big hit", lack of fundamentals "tackling" that is rampant in football right now.

If Thompson would have tackled Luton facing him head on and tried wrapping him up as he hit him......I wouldn't be posting on this. Instead, he launches himself sideways at the QB and almost misses him completely because he's trying to make a highlight hit.

nope. If anything I'd say he was jumping over him to avoid contact. Here's another thing to consider with this too. Where's the first down marker? Luton is a couple yards from it when the first defender makes contact. You say I'd be losing my mind if it was Falk instead of Luton? You'd lose your mind if Luton slipped the first tackle and Thompson didn't go all out to stop him and he dove for the first down. Thompson was aware of where the marker was and he was flying to the ball to stop the ball carrier from getting a first down. This was a clean football play that ended in an unfortunate injury. There was no launching or malice intended.

Reactions: SaveFerris
The UCLA shot was definitely a cheap shot and targeting. The hit by Thompson was not nearly as egregious, but both were situations where players launched themselves at an opposing QB without any attempt to tackle and the intent was to hit them as hard as they could. If you look at both videos, both players launched themselves at the QB in almost exactly the same fashion, although Thompson was closer when he started the launch. I'm of the position that players need to quit thinking that it's a good idea to just throw themselves blindly into opposing players, particularly when it results in a broken neck.

You will argue that football is a contact sport and all I can say is that kind of attitude is what is going to kill the sport. Concussions and long term head trauma are serious issues that put the sport in danger of not existing. The kind of hit that Thompson laid on Luton is an example of the kind of macho stupidity that used to be expected back in the day but will not fly going forward.
Nothing is going to kill football. Too much money involved. There's been head injuries and neck injuries in football since the beginning of the sport. Some parents won't let their kids play....eh....other parents will view as a better opportunity for scholarships. Football is going nowhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT