ADVERTISEMENT

Macroeconomics

Let’s remember that the materials mined to support EVs involve incredibly destructive practices that harm the environment.

Working conditions in countries in the global south and environment impacts are also devastating. But because it is in poor countries we just brush that under the proverbial rug.

At least the upper middle class and wealthy can feel good about saving the world while poor countries get trashed in ways we don’t fully understand. With oil extraction, the environmental impact is much lower. EV battery rare earth metals mining involves large scale strip mining that poisons local water supplies for decades.
This is interesting and ominous. Did some reading on the topic. Did not know much about the mining issues with pollution, etc. Also saw where so many of our precious minerals, etc. are produced outside the US (China being the biggest producer). I had seen reports on this before, just not EV specific. This is scary. You telling me the US doesn't have these minerals? Although the pollution, etc. issues don't enamor me to US production.

This is interesting and ominous. Did some reading on the topic. Did not know much about the mining issues with pollution, etc. Also saw where so many of our precious minerals, etc. are produced outside the US (China being the biggest producer). I had seen reports on this before, just not EV specific. This is scary. You telling me the US doesn't have these minerals? Although the pollution, etc. issues don't enamor me to US production.
The threshold question of have, we have some, but as you noted China is or has cornered the market. The next questions are (i) whether the regulatory and political environment would allow them to be mined; and (ii) if so, whether it can be done at an acceptable price?

The threshold question of have, we have some, but as you noted China is or has cornered the market. The next questions are (i) whether the regulatory and political environment would allow them to be mined; and (ii) if so, whether it can be done at an acceptable price?
I believe there was very recently a proposed mine in the southwest (think it was Nevada) that was killed by the feds. And IIRC, there was a lot of pressure put on the feds by the state governor (D? R?) to disallow the project, and possibly from tribal pressure as well.

Ain't it fun when environmental interests collide? EV vs ICE, means environmental damage by mining vs damage from fossil fuels. Which is worse? Also means things like putting huge wind turbines off the east coast, a blight on the beautiful ocean vistas. But now there are studies saying that the turbines are likely contributing to the deaths of a protected and threatened whale species. SO what do the feds try to do? Stifle the lobster fishing industry, which likely has no effect on the whales! Gotta love the government at work! And what are the east coast elites going to do when they can't get their delicacy at their favorite snooty eating establishment due to the feds totally shutting down lobster fishing?

Oh, the humanity!

I hate condoms as much as the next guy, but they serve a purpose. Admittedly I dodged some bullets in my younger years because I was stupid too.

Many health professionals also recommend prophylactics to help prevent the spread of venereal diseases, especially for those aren't monogamous (not suggesting Loyal or anyone else here is or isn't that way)

The US has significant lithium deposits, along with countless other minerals.

The issue is twofold

1) foreign countries who do not abide by even remotely similar environmental and reclamation care as the US and therefore can produce far cheaper than domestic extraction. However, there is great risk in overseas production as

2) misplaced abuse of regulatory power based which is exercised to its fullest depending on the winds of which mindset is in control of the executive branch. Permitting for extraction activities is a long and expensive process.

The US has the most stringent environmental controls in the world. The pollution produced by foreign mining companies dwarfs the US. It is no longer an issue domestically.

I spent the last 15 years working with companies in mining and oil/gas. There’s no reason the US shouldn’t be energy independent and mineral rich, other then the false narrative that both are bad. Instead the powers that be have outsourced those “dirty” industries into someone else’s backyard overseas where they are, in fact, dirty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT