ADVERTISEMENT

Man up! Who is miserable after being ranked 8th and 9th in the polls..

If you mean in terms of mental health, I am worse off. My Cougar Football Anxiety Meter is pegged out in the red. When we sucked, it was easy to shrug and say "Yep, another one of those years." This year is shaping up to be spectacular. Until the fat lady sings, I'll have to keep the cayenne on my fingernails and drown my anxiety in bourbon.

But I love it. Some of us are just happier being miserable.

I think as Coug fans we're all waiting for the other shoe to drop.

If its not this week, then next.

If we win 4 more, then its AC.

If not AC, then the conf championship.

If not the P12 championship, then getting snubbed from the playoff.

If not getting snubbed, then losing the opener.

If not losing the first game, losing the big one.

If not losing the big one, still getting ranked #2 in the coaches poll after winning the NC game....

I seriously think about all this stuff... do I let it affect me or my mood? Nah. If we crap the bed the rest of the way we'll have another "what could have been" season that'll keep us Cougs going for the next 50 years.

I'm thrilled with our ranking and I'm impressed with the way that the national media is embracing us overall. I like the fact that Oregon probably got screwed on more calls than we did on Saturday. Gone are the days when it felt that Pac-10/12 referees were trying to make sure the other guys win. I love the fact that I feel confident in the idea that we will be 11-0 heading into the Apple Cup.

If there's a downside to the team being better, it's that I actually care while watching games. Back when we sucked, as soon as the game got out of hand and we were down by three scores, I'd go work in the yard or do something with the kids without any stress. Now, I actually care about how the team plays.

It was pretty hilarious in my house yesterday afternoon. My wife told my son that we were #8 now and he asked, "in the Pac-12?" and she said, "No, in the country". He looked at her flabbergasted and had to repeat, "In the Country?". We've taken him to at least a dozen games and given how the team was from 2004-14, you can guess that most of them were losses. He still can't picture our team as anything but terrible. We did go to the ASU game last year and he thought it was pretty awesome to hear hundreds of Cougs singing the fight song on the way out of the stadium.

ok, now that i get the question... :D

honestly, the way the season started out against bsu and where we currently are (w/ a couple signature wins under our belt), it feels like we're basically playing w/ house money at this point. i think we're better than most of the teams left on the sched, but i wouldn't really be surprised by a loss to any of them. i don't have any real expectations for the cfp (of course), or even a conference title game appearance, but i think we're in for a really special season. in other words, i'm feeling pretty good about cougar football right now. ask me again next week though....

ok, now that i get the question... :D

honestly, the way the season started out against bsu and where we currently are (w/ a couple signature wins under our belt), it feels like we're basically playing w/ house money at this point. i think we're better than most of the teams left on the sched, but i wouldn't really be surprised by a loss to any of them. i don't have any real expectations for the cfp (of course), or even a conference title game appearance, but i think we're in for a really special season. in other words, i'm feeling pretty good about cougar football right now. ask me again next week though....

I think the game that worries me the most is still the AC. The team has pretty much been a no-show the last 3 years and I'm sitting here trying to convince myself that something has changed and this year will be different, but I'm not having much success.

I think the game that worries me the most is still the AC. The team has pretty much been a no-show the last 3 years and I'm sitting here trying to convince myself that something has changed and this year will be different, but I'm not having much success.
100%

that's the only game that i have serious questions about. not predicting wins in all the others by any means, but i just don't have any particular concerns about them based on what we've seen so far. the apple cup haunts me though (in a good and bad way, if that makes sense).

The living is easy when one has nothing to lose. But throw in some aspirations and expectations....... I'm sure that I am not the only one cringing a bit at the next five games, any one of which we could lose.

If you mean in terms of mental health, I am worse off. My Cougar Football Anxiety Meter is pegged out in the red. When we sucked, it was easy to shrug and say "Yep, another one of those years." This year is shaping up to be spectacular. Until the fat lady sings, I'll have to keep the cayenne on my fingernails and drown my anxiety in bourbon.

But I love it. Some of us are just happier being miserable.
Haha....this is me right here!

Yup, this too. I feel like our defense can harass Browning and cause problems for them offensively, I just worry our offense will stall and ultimately make the mistakes that will lead to the game getting away from us. just seems like it's been a bad matchup for us the last 5 years.

Not me at all. Haven't felt this good/optimistic going into games since Ryan Leaf was under center.

The PAC is a conference in which almost every team takes an upset loss during the season. Those tend to happen when the favorite is either not focused, looking toward the next game or has sudden illness/injury. We will be fortunate to make it to the Apple Cup without a letdown. One game at a time. Only way to play it.

Reactions: CougSinceBirth
The attitude of the team seems more sharp, focused and ready to kick some a$$ each week (the past three weeks, definitely) - especially on the defensive side of the ball.

I'm actually enjoying our players playing with some swagger. Signaling for a first down, chirping after a big catch, etc. Finally some damn moxy. There's some times it goes a little too far (not trying to ignite another thread here...) but we have players who truly believe in themselves and their abilities.

The PAC is a conference in which almost every team takes an upset loss during the season. Those tend to happen when the favorite is either not focused, looking toward the next game or has sudden illness/injury. We will be fortunate to make it to the Apple Cup without a letdown. One game at a time. Only way to play it.

Every game in the P12 is a battle. No team can be taken lightly.

Yup, this too. I feel like our defense can harass Browning and cause problems for them offensively, I just worry our offense will stall and ultimately make the mistakes that will lead to the game getting away from us. just seems like it's been a bad matchup for us the last 5 years.

The living is easy when one has nothing to lose. But throw in some aspirations and expectations....... I'm sure that I am not the only one cringing a bit at the next five games, any one of which we could lose.
Would the team be ranked higher at the end of the season if WSU were to lose one game by 3 points to either Stanford or Utah and then beat uw by 3 in the Apple Cup or vice-versa. It's what my best misereable side ponders. The worst case scenario is preparing for 2 loses going into the AC. Gawd, I'm glad the players don't have the same 45 year perspective on the rest of the season. Old fans have a mind with a heart of it's own. Thanks Tom Petty.

Not me at all. Haven't felt this good/optimistic going into games since Ryan Leaf was under center.
Looking back at those days, I was giddy. I had no fear. But then again, I didn't have 20+ years of bad Cougar Football under my belt to temper my expectations. The dark ages after Doba have really changed my perspective. Then again, I'm 20 years older, and as kayak points out, having something to lose is a lot scarier at 45 than it was at 25.

I just have to keep reminding myself that this is just a game. Lives aren't lost. Perhaps some fortunes are, but not mine or my family's.

We JUST MIGHT be having the greatest season in the history of Cougar football. I'm going to enjoy it and see where it goes. Pretty unlikely that we look back on it as a dud, so we got nothing to lose. Rose Bowl, baby!!!

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Rose Bowl, baby!!!
With the CFP's tie-in to the Rose Bowl, the only way we get there is if we winout at 13-0. And that's a maybe. Even if we get to 13-0, they may stick us in the Sugar Bowl instead.

In all seriousness, what worries me a bit is how backloaded the schedule is ... not so much in terms of my own expectations or ability to handle how things go, but in terms of how the media or public at large might perceive it.

There was a lot of talk about how disappointing the season was last year with three straight losses to conclude the year. I didn't really feel that way -- I was disappointed with the bowl game and certainly not happy with the Apple Cup, but I didn't think the season was a disappointment overall -- but I saw that sentiment expressed quite a bit.

This year could be similar, even if the team does pretty well.

Here's the back end if WSU doesn't make the Pac-12 title game:

- Stanford (home)
- Utah (SLC)
- UW (Seattle)
- Bowl game (likely against good opponent)

Those are four pretty tough games, assuming Stanford keeps winning. They're not great by any means, but they've recruited really well, have Bryce Love and a purportedly good coach, and are probably a top-20 team. Utah is almost always a tough place to play and they'll probably have Huntley back at that point.

Here is the back end if WSU just keeps winning:

- Stanford (home)
- Utah (SLC)
- UW (Seattle)
- Pac-12 title game (likely USC rematch)
- Playoff (probably #4 seed against Clemson or Bama)
- National championship game

Hell, if the scenario above was tough, look at this.

WSU is almost certainly going to lose at some point, and I just hope people handle it decently.

WSU could, for example, be 9-0 and probably ranked as high as #5 -- and assuming this doesn't give Cal, Arizona, or Colorado, especially the latter, enough credit -- but then drop the Stanford or Utah game, then lose the Apple Cup, and then lose a bowl game against a good team, finishing 10-3. I wouldn't want to see that viewed too negatively when, in the big scheme of things, that season would not only be pretty good, but would be extraordinary by WSU's historical standards.

Reactions: froropmkr72
This is actually an amazing season. I went to 2 universities - one of them has an historically good team and the other (WSU) does not. The good team's fans expect success every year, and every win is a "we didn't lose" rather than a victory to be celebrated. WSU hasn't reached those heights yet, so wins are still very much enjoyable. And going 6-0, with 8-0 and beyond likely? It's euphoric. Getting to the point where 9+ wins every year is expected will be bittersweet. Don't you love that beating Oregon and USC are accomplishments rather than potential embarrassments averted? I do.

Reactions: 425cougfan

Don't sweat it. It's in the bag.

We JUST MIGHT be having the greatest season in the history of Cougar football. I'm going to enjoy it and see where it goes. Pretty unlikely that we look back on it as a dud, so we got nothing to lose. Rose Bowl, baby!!!
I've been looking for my HUGE COUG FLAG to hang it over deck railing for the whole community to see. Didn't want to put it up before USC, in case we lost. Rummaging thru the garage to try to find it. It's huge and just has the Cougarhead logo. It's time to put it up.

Reactions: GrayOnGray
I am just excited that every year we can look forward to the season, this season has been special, but look the last 3 years.

9-4, 8-5, and now 6-0

This is what I wanted. Just to happen and excited for the season and each game. ENJOYING Cougar football.

I don't expect to win every game, I just want to look at the schedule and honestly believe and know that we could win every single game and we aren't a laughing stock "gimmie game" to people.

Cougar football is fun again, it's enjoyable, it's exciting, and we win more than we lose, have some great experiences, some incredible moments, and that is what it is all about. WSU football is so much fun right now, I couldn't be happier.

Yeah just like Windows Mobile OS was an incredible Mobile OS. Wow it is absolutely incredible.. non functional sh*t.
I forgot why I had you ignored.

Talking shit, but never even laid hands on one, guaranteed.

You're such a joy, Tron. Your cardboard box is lonely, go back to your home under the bridge.

Never thought we'd get to see big disagreements over now-defunct Windows products from years ago, but I guess we've now seen it all.
Its not a disagreement, Tron is an a$$hole who's only purpose in life is to come on this board and antagonize people. Like I said, I guarantee he's never even used a windows phone or zune.

I’m laughing at all of you as I fondle my new iPhone 8 plus. I’m so much cooler than you. :cool:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT