ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Montgomery

SideWaysDown

Head Coach
Nov 14, 2006
Can hardly stand to listen to him. He knows a lot about the game, but comes off as arrogant and a know-it-all. And you can hear disdain in his voice for the Cougs. Or am I being too touchy? Anyway, heck of a win. Love how the Cougs hung tough and hit their FTs. Solid.

As a former Cardinal coach, I expected some bias. That aside, I think his basketball acumen trumps the biases' and he adds a nice dimension to the broadcast. Until the Cougs get their act together on the court, they don't deserve much credit or respect. I'm hoping Mr. Kent is the answer to that problem.

Maybe it'd be wise for the Pac-12 network to have him not call Cal/Furd games to avoid his good feelings towards those two teams?

The cougs have gotten their act together as they are 4-5 in PAC 12 play. They have five more home games at home which should be competitive exciting games.When a team finishes above or close to.500 ball they deserve respect. Montgomery knows that it ain't Bone coaching the cougs.

Personally I like Montgomery, at least he knows what he is talking about. So often announcers who were former players don't have the same take on the game or knowledge of the game. I can't stand Bill Walton as an announcer. He was a great player, before injuries I would argue one of the best of all time but he does his announcing based on that experience. I have never bothered to count but every game he says things that just aren't right basketball wise. An example is "He just needs to go up and block that shot, quit trying to get in position to stop the drive just block the shot." he was able to do that easily and thats what made him great but most can't perform at his level.

PS I loved what Montgomery said about wasting timeouts fighting for jump balls. I put the trend of calling time out on the floor largely on announcers who praise players for being smart and calling time out. I personally have lost games and seen many games lost because a team didn't have a timeout at the end, but I can only think of one instance where I lost a game due to a third quarter turn-over and that involved loosing my two best players to a pushing and shoving match where the other team lost one guy who mostly sat on the bench.( But i'm not bitter lol
smile.r191677.gif
)

Good comments. Yes, Walton is painful to listen to..last night's UO UW game was horrid to hear. Walton went on about Kesey, Mountain Girl, The Grateful Dead, et al for what seemed an eternity. Bill knows there's still lots of good green in Eugene.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT