ADVERTISEMENT

Myles Rice and NBA...

Such a great story and I hope he continued to improve and plays in the NBA.

He is so far a fringe, borderline might make NBA, might not make NBA player.

In order for a WSU guard to either get drafted into NBA or be a undrafted FA that makes NBA, they have to be better then Ike Fontaine was, who as good as he was, didn't make NBA

Fontaine averaged about 18.8, almost 19 ppg, and had about 2,3,4 37,38,39 point games, one of them being against Arizona on road.

Benny Seltzer had better stats, better ppg, assist per game, then Rice, and still didn't make NBA. Now granted Benny's stats were as a senior compared to Rice's freshman stats, so maybe Rice would have about 18,19,20,21 ppg, 5,6,7 assist per game, and 42% from 3, as a junior, Senior, and get drafted, make NBA.

That's not to say that Rice will or will not make NBA. I think there is about a 59% to 67% chance that Rice would make NBA, but I don't think Rice should be considered a semi lock, semi favorite to make NBA.

I think Wells, Jones, Chinyelu have a better chance to make NBA over Rice. Yes Chinyelu doesnt have the minutes, stats, but that's because he has even better in front of him. Chinyelu has NBA freakish athleticism, NBA frame, etc, as a 6-11 248 pound, 7-8 WINGSPAN.

Wells is 6-8 that is kinda like a Iverson, Jordan, Kobe, LeBron James, Magic Johnson, Sean Elliot, Malik Sealy, Glen Rice, all mixed, combined together into a proto hybrid that can play the 2, SG, 3, SF, 4, stretch power forward, in college, and in NBA.

At 6-2.5 PG, Rice is going to have to put up stats comparable to Ike, COMBINED with Benny's assist total(About 20 ppg, about 6 assist per game), in order to be drafted, make NBA.

Can he do that? Maybe.

Reactions: Jiff76

In order for a WSU guard to either get drafted into NBA or be a undrafted FA that makes NBA, they have to be better then Ike Fontaine was, who as good as he was, didn't make NBA

Fontaine averaged about 18.8, almost 19 ppg, and had about 2,3,4 37,38,39 point games, one of them being against Arizona on road.

Benny Seltzer had better stats, better ppg, assist per game, then Rice, and still didn't make NBA. Now granted Benny's stats were as a senior compared to Rice's freshman stats, so maybe Rice would have about 18,19,20,21 ppg, 5,6,7 assist per game, and 42% from 3, as a junior, Senior, and get drafted, make NBA.

That's not to say that Rice will or will not make NBA. I think there is about a 59% to 67% chance that Rice would make NBA, but I don't think Rice should be considered a semi lock, semi favorite to make NBA.

I think Wells, Jones, Chinyelu have a better chance to make NBA over Rice. Yes Chinyelu doesnt have the minutes, stats, but that's because he has even better in front of him. Chinyelu has NBA freakish athleticism, NBA frame, etc, as a 6-11 248 pound, 7-8 WINGSPAN.

Wells is 6-8 that is kinda like a Iverson, Jordan, Kobe, LeBron James, Magic Johnson, Sean Elliot, Malik Sealy, Glen Rice, all mixed, combined together into a proto hybrid that can play the 2, SG, 3, SF, 4, stretch power forward, in college, and in NBA.

At 6-2.5 PG, Rice is going to have to put up stats comparable to Ike, COMBINED with Benny's assist total(About 20 ppg, about 6 assist per game), in order to be drafted, make NBA.

Can he do that? Maybe.
Tf you talking about Willis. Steph went to Davidson. NBA was taking kids straight outta HS not long ago. Several international players get drafted every year. Nobody cares where you hoop if you are good enough.

Tf you talking about Willis. Steph went to Davidson. NBA was taking kids straight outta HS not long ago. Several international players get drafted every year. Nobody cares where you hoop if you are good enough.

Kobe was 6-6, and had FREAKISH ATHLETICISM.

Mayo was 6-3, was almost a Kobe, and to goto 1 year of college, and went to USC.

IN GENERAL, but not always, if your 6-2.5 or less, and or are not ultimate extreme freakishly jump out of gym athleticism, and or don't go to a blue blood, or a good non WSU type program, an or don't score about, around 19 ppg, and about around 6 assist per game, and about a 39+% 3 shooter, then usually not drafted.

There are rare exceptions, but they are rare.

Jrue Holiday only scored 9 ppg, but he was about 6-5, ATHLETIC AS HELL, and went to UCLA. If Jrue was only 6-2, wasn't as athletic, or went to WSU, and only scored 9 ppg at WSU, he wouldn't have been drafted, let alone the lottery pick he was at UCLA.

Since you mentioned Steph Curry and Davidson, Steph was about 6-4, and he scored about 20 ppg, and he was about 40% from 3, and Davidson was, is a pretty good bball program, better then WSU.

If Steph Curry had been 6-1, and had only scored 17 ppg, and had only been that 6-1, 17 ppg at WSU, then he probably wouldn't have been drafted into NBA.

If Rice was 6-5, instead of 6-2.5, AND if he scored about 19 ppg, AND if he had 6 assist per game, AND if he was a 42% 3 point shooter, ALL COMBINED TOGETHER at WSU, THEN Rice would not be a fringe player.

Take Klay Thompson as a example guard compared to Rice. Almost every WSU guard that made the NBA, whether Klay, etc, was 6-6, was athletic as hell, scored about 19 ppg, instead of being under 6-6, instead of scoring under 19 ppg.

Ehlo was a exception to that generality as he had SHITTY ppg, Shitty athleticism, but was still at least 6-6, 6-7.

Usually a guard has to be at a place like UCLA, etc, if they are gonna be under 6-5, score less ppg, etc, and still make NBA, etc.

Kobe was 6-6, and had FREAKISH ATHLETICISM.

Mayo was 6-3, was almost a Kobe, and to goto 1 year of college, and went to USC.

IN GENERAL, but not always, if your 6-2.5 or less, and or are not ultimate extreme freakishly jump out of gym athleticism, and or don't go to a blue blood, or a good non WSU type program, an or don't score about, around 19 ppg, and about around 6 assist per game, and about a 39+% 3 shooter, then usually not drafted.

There are rare exceptions, but they are rare.

Jrue Holiday only scored 9 ppg, but he was about 6-5, ATHLETIC AS HELL, and went to UCLA. If Jrue was only 6-2, wasn't as athletic, or went to WSU, and only scored 9 ppg at WSU, he wouldn't have been drafted, let alone the lottery pick he was at UCLA.

Since you mentioned Steph Curry and Davidson, Steph was about 6-4, and he scored about 20 ppg, and he was about 40% from 3, and Davidson was, is a pretty good bball program, better then WSU.

If Steph Curry had been 6-1, and had only scored 17 ppg, and had only been that 6-1, 17 ppg at WSU, then he probably wouldn't have been drafted into NBA.

If Rice was 6-5, instead of 6-2.5, AND if he scored about 19 ppg, AND if he had 6 assist per game, AND if he was a 42% 3 point shooter, ALL COMBINED TOGETHER at WSU, THEN Rice would not be a fringe player.

Take Klay Thompson as a example guard compared to Rice. Almost every WSU guard that made the NBA, whether Klay, etc, was 6-6, was athletic as hell, scored about 19 ppg, instead of being under 6-6, instead of scoring under 19 ppg.

Ehlo was a exception to that generality as he had SHITTY ppg, Shitty athleticism, but was still at least 6-6, 6-7.

Usually a guard has to be at a place like UCLA, etc, if they are gonna be under 6-5, score less ppg, etc, and still make NBA, etc.
Way to celebrate a great article and a fantastic story of perseverance by rambling on and on about Rice's spotty potential in the NBA. Which has absolutely zero to do with the article or the story.

Ehlo had plenty of athleticism. Did you see him play in college? Did you see him guard MJ in the NBA? Do you think the Cavs would've had him guard MJ in the playoffs if he had "sh----y" athleticism? By the way, Ehlo averaged a decent 12 ppg for the Cougs but was never counted on to be a high scorer on a team that included Guy Williams (19 ppg) and Steve Harriel (15 ppg).

Getting back to the point of the article, it's a great story– beating cancer and being able to play so well as a freshman. If he makes the NBA is beside the point.

Glad Cougar

Way to celebrate a great article and a fantastic story of perseverance by rambling on and on about Rice's spotty potential in the NBA. Which has absolutely zero to do with the article or the story.

Ttowncoug was the one who brought up Rice's NBA potential.

Also I wasn't putting down Rice. He is a wonderful player. He might even make the NBA. He is tho, AT THIS TIME, and that may change, a player who at this time, might probably is a borderline NBA player.

That's certainly nothing to snide at, and certainly does not take away from Rice's awesome, wonderful story.

Ehlo had plenty of athleticism. Did you see him play in college? Did you see him guard MJ in the NBA? Do you think the Cavs would've had him guard MJ in the playoffs if he had "sh----y" athleticism? By the way, Ehlo averaged a decent 12 ppg for the Cougs but was never counted on to be a high scorer on a team that included Guy Williams (19 ppg) and Steve Harriel (15 ppg).

Getting back to the point of the article, it's a great story– beating cancer and being able to play so well as a freshman. If he makes the NBA is beside the point.

Glad Cougar

Ehlo's athleticism improved. And you don't have to have great athleticism to be a great defender.

WSU had a 6-7.5 player on Bennet's team(forget his name)(Not Cowgirl, etc)(he was pretty unathletic, slow, as far as not having SPEEDY LATERAL QUICKNESS)(he should have been beat off the dribble, left, right, but often did awesomely defensively because of his SUPERIOR defensive TECHNIQUE, POSITIONING.

Lodwick, and Ehlo were both like that, that altho they weren't that athletic, both had superior technique, positioning that helped them overcome their lack of athleticism and helped them become great defenders.

And their athleticism improved later on. That's why Ehlo defended Jordan in NBA. If Ehlo had had to guard a Jordan type in college earlier in his career at WSU, he probably wouldnt have done as good.

As far as Ehlo's 12 ppg, altho that's nothing to snide at, it's still way below the usual ppg that a WSU guard that makes NBA will have. Also that 12 ppg that Ehlo had was his SENIOR ppg. Ehlo's freshman, sophomore ppg, was WAY lower then 12 ppg, and was generally a CRAPPIER ppg.

Until, towards the end of Ehlo's senior year, Ehlo wasnt thought of as a NBA player both statistically, and ability wise.

Despite that, that's nothing to snide at, and Ehlo was a ok, good player at WSU.

Ehlo's athleticism improved. And you don't have to have great athleticism to be a great defender.

WSU had a 6-7.5 player on Bennet's team(forget his name)(Not Cowgirl, etc)(he was pretty unathletic, slow, as far as not having SPEEDY LATERAL QUICKNESS)(he should have been beat off the dribble, left, right, but often did awesomely defensively because of his SUPERIOR defensive TECHNIQUE, POSITIONING.

Lodwick, and Ehlo were both like that, that altho they weren't that athletic, both had superior technique, positioning that helped them overcome their lack of athleticism and helped them become great defenders.

And their athleticism improved later on. That's why Ehlo defended Jordan in NBA. If Ehlo had had to guard a Jordan type in college earlier in his career at WSU, he probably wouldnt have done as good.

As far as Ehlo's 12 ppg, altho that's nothing to snide at, it's still way below the usual ppg that a WSU guard that makes NBA will have. Also that 12 ppg that Ehlo had was his SENIOR ppg. Ehlo's freshman, sophomore ppg, was WAY lower then 12 ppg, and was generally a CRAPPIER ppg.

Until, towards the end of Ehlo's senior year, Ehlo wasnt thought of as a NBA player both statistically, and ability wise.

Despite that, that's nothing to snide at, and Ehlo was a ok, good player at WSU.
You are right, I was quite surprised that Ehlo had an NBA career. He was a very good player for the Cougs his senior year (he played JC ball in Texas as a freshman & sophomore) but I would not have projected him to have a long NBA career and end up being someone who was assigned to guard Michael Jordan. Nonetheless, I still remember him as having plenty of athleticism from the start. Long arms, quick feet, excellent jumper. He was a little skinny but moved quite well out there. At least that's my recollection....but that was several years ago now. Ehlo is now in his 60s!

Glad Cougar

Ttowncoug was the one who brought up Rice's NBA potential.

Also I wasn't putting down Rice. He is a wonderful player. He might even make the NBA. He is tho, AT THIS TIME, and that may change, a player who at this time, might probably is a borderline NBA player.

That's certainly nothing to snide at, and certainly does not take away from Rice's awesome, wonderful story.
I think what you’re trying to say is it’s really hard to make the NBA, which I completely agree with. By far the fewest players in all of the professional sports leagues, a two round draft where a lot of second rounders don’t make it vs NFL having 7 rounds + FA that.

Where I 100% disagree is the idea that you are at some instant disadvantage at WSU. I think there’s some of that in the NFL because it’s more of a team dependent sport, but if you have NBA game, they could give two shits what uniform you are wearing or what conference you are playing in. It’s fair to speculate whether Rice is that guy but WSU will not keep him at a disadvantage. If anything I think Kyle Smith is proving he’s making players better if they stick with his program. All you have to do is look at the guys who have left.

What Rice is doing on the court is nothing short of amazing considering his back story. His story is inspiring even without the basketball aspect. We are really lucky he chose to continue his journey at WSU it would have been so easy for Rice to go home and fight his cancer with his family around. Instead his mother came to Pullman and he stayed and supported his team. Class act all the way!!
Lots of NBA players come from small schools and small conferences.

As far as NBA potential on this team.

Obviously Rueben has the body and the athleticism but has a long way to go as far as skill. By all accounts he is a smart guy and a hard worker so I would expect a big upgrade from this year to next. Thats when we will probably see exactly where he stands as far as NBA potential.

Rice has elite level speed with the ball which should get him some looks but his decision making needs improvement. Some of the things he gets away with here would not work in the NBA with bigger faster more athletic players.

Jones is a great college player and is a great example of a great college player that just doesn’t translate into an NBA career.

Wells is nowhere near having NBA athleticism. IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: Coug90
Lots of NBA players come from small schools and small conferences.

As far as NBA potential on this team.

Obviously Rueben has the body and the athleticism but has a long way to go as far as skill. By all accounts he is a smart guy and a hard worker so I would expect a big upgrade from this year to next. Thats when we will probably see exactly where he stands as far as NBA potential.

Rice has elite level speed with the ball which should get him some looks but his decision making needs improvement. Some of the things he gets away with here would not work in the NBA with bigger faster more athletic players.

Jones is a great college player and is a great example of a great college player that just doesn’t translate into an NBA career.

Wells is nowhere near having NBA athleticism. IMO
I actually see Wells as the most promising NBA prospect on this squad. Pure scorer great stroke, and has the length and instincts to play D, get steals, rebounds, etc. I think he’d be the feature guy on a lot of unbalanced teams and could be a 20+ PPG player if that was the case. I’m not a basketball junkie but that’s what my untrained eyes tell me. Thing I love about this team is all of these guys are unselfish and play within the offense fir the best shot, but they all have the confidence to take the shot or make the drive when needed. That’s pretty rare in basketball. I compare to last year where so often everyone would stand around and wait for Bamba to drive or create a shot.

Glad Cougar
Ehlo was athletic and a great defensive player, because of his length. His and Winks problem was handling the press after made baskets. Both were off/shooting guards, who weren't really ready for taking on primary ball handling duties. That was George's fault, as their coach. It was a hole in Ehlo's game which he resolved with some work in the gym prior to the draft.

Can he do that? Maybe.
Mik if you ever become a general manager let me know cause I would like to buy the franchise on a penny on a dollar after you run it into the ground.

Rice has something Ike never had … well two things… speed and ability to drive and ball handling skills .

He doesn’t need to jump out of the gym . A better comparison than Kobe and Dr J and any name you came up with is Suggs from Gonzaga.

When Rice goes to a big time school next year he will get drafted in the NBA in the 2025 draft .

Are you thinking of Daven Harmeling?

Reactions: mikalalas
The only guards who get consideration for the league are those who put of 30+ ppg with most of them from 3pt range. Zero weight is given to defense or being a court general - every thinks they're drafting the next Steph Curry.

Ok, that's an exaggeration, but that's how it feels.

Mik if you ever become a general manager let me know cause I would like to buy the franchise on a penny on a dollar after you run it into the ground.

Rice has something Ike never had … well two things… speed and ability to drive and ball handling skills .

He doesn’t need to jump out of the gym . A better comparison than Kobe and Dr J and any name you came up with is Suggs from Gonzaga.

When Rice goes to a big time school next year he will get drafted in the NBA in the 2025 draft .
When Rice goes to a big time school next year....

Sad isn't it, it's what college sports have come to, all our chips are in this year, have to hope for the best.

Sad isn't it, it's what college sports have come to, all our chips are in this year, have to hope for the best.
I dunno. If there’s one guy I could see turning down money to stay it’s Rice. All he talks about is how blessed he is to get to play, I don’t think he’d chase short term $. He can see from Bamba grass ain’t always greener. KS is going to help him get to his potential more than anyone and the NBA pays more than NIL if he can get there. I think Rice stays. It sucks anytime we have a rising star this has to be the question though.

Reactions: Coug4 life
I dunno. If there’s one guy I could see turning down money to stay it’s Rice. All he talks about is how blessed he is to get to play, I don’t think he’d chase short term $. He can see from Bamba grass ain’t always greener. KS is going to help him get to his potential more than anyone and the NBA pays more than NIL if he can get there. I think Rice stays. It sucks anytime we have a rising star this has to be the question though.

50/50 that Kyle Smith is around next year.

It’s possible Rice and Smith combo somewhere else together.

Sadly, I have it from a reliable source that Rice is already planning on transferring and there's not much we can do to bring him back

• Wow
Reactions: Coug4 life
Sadly, I have it from a reliable source that Rice is already planning on transferring and there's not much we can do to bring him back
If so that is really sad. WSU did give him his only bigtime offer. After redshirting him, WSU did hang with him through his cancer. And probably paid for a shitload of medical along the way. I can't imagine that we couldn't come up with some NIL money for him given his story.

If so that is really sad. WSU did give him his only bigtime offer. After redshirting him, WSU did hang with him through his cancer. And probably paid for a shitload of medical along the way. I can't imagine that we couldn't come up with some NIL money for him given his story.
I don’t have any sources I just see a kid that looks really damn happy being a Coug. Would suck considering his story. Hopefully there’s a chance he will stay.

Yeah WSU stuck with Rice even through his cancer, and probably helped pay for medical, when a lot of programs would have kicked Rice to the curb, yanked his scholly.

lol according to who?

The likelihood, probabilities are about such that there is ABOUT PROBABLY ABOUT a 67% chance that Smith stays, and 33% that go BECAUSE:

1. Smith's Autistic disabled son

2. Smith's Wife, family being DIE HARD COUGS

3. Smith and his family love Pullman, WSU.

4. Smith strikes me as a Mark Few type.

If Smith leaves, he will probably only leave for a blue blood program that's a great place to raise a family, and has a great treatment options for his autistic son.

Smith will probably leave eventually, but Smith will probably stay about 2 to 4 to 6 to 8 more years, and there is probably about, around about a 33% chance that leaves in any season, and about around about a 67% chance that he would probably stay in each season.

This is no different then one of the experts projecting how well programs, teams, coaches, players would do.

Example in the pre season it probably was pretty reasonable to project that Houston was, is going to be a top 4 seed in NCAA tournament.

The likelihood, probabilities are about such that there is ABOUT PROBABLY ABOUT a 67% chance that Smith stays, and 33% that go BECAUSE:

If Smith leaves, he will probably only leave for a blue blood program that's a great place to raise a family, and has a great treatment options for his autistic son.

Smith will probably leave eventually, but Smith will probably stay about 2 to 4 to 6 to 8 more years, and there is probably about, around about a 33% chance that leaves in any season, and about around about a 67% chance that he would probably stay in each season.

This is no different then one of the experts projecting how well programs, teams, coaches, players would do.

Example in the pre season it probably was pretty reasonable to project that Houston was, is going to be a top 4 seed in NCAA tournament.
Mik, you know this is almost a complete copy and paste of at least one, and probably more like 10, of your previous posts. The only thing missing is the fact that he owns a home in Pullman that he lives in.

Your prediction of Smith staying 2 to 4 to 6 to 8 years is really going out on a limb.

Finally, I don't think it is very cool that you keep bringing up Smith's son and his health condition. Have some class and leave the kid out of it.

You list four reasons for Smith staying and zero are based on known facts. They are all assumptions. They might be true but maybe not.

Yeah WSU stuck with Rice even through his cancer, and probably helped pay for medical, when a lot of programs would have kicked Rice to the curb, yanked his scholly.
Completely agree with you, but doesn't change what I've heard. Would love nothing more than to be wrong, but don't expect Myles back.

Completely agree with you, but doesn't change what I've heard. Would love nothing more than to be wrong, but don't expect Myles back.

I don't expect Rice to stay, and don't expect Rice to leave. I don't know what he is going to do.

Your sources could be right or they could just be rumormongering for all I know or don't know.

So we'll see about that later.

We do know that Rice's mother is living in Pullman because she moved to Pullman when Rice got cancer.

You list four reasons for Smith staying and zero are based on known facts. They are all assumptions. They might be true but maybe not.

It's a fact that Smith has a autistic disabled son. There was a TV documentary on, about it.

It's a fact that his wife is from Coug country, and that her family(Not her husband, etc, but her parents, siblings, etc, type of family are either likely or are Coug fans)

So both a fact, and a likely true assumption on the wife being from Coug country and that family is probably Coug fans.

What's not a absolute fact, is Smith saying that he and his family love Pullman, WSU. Maybe he is lying through his teeth about that, maybe not.

Also not a fact, but is subjective perception, is that Smith does strike me as a Mark Few type.

So yes there are subjective perception things, but that is also mixed with facts.

What I am doing, saying is no different then when people projected Houston as a Top 4 NCAA tourny seed, in the pre season.

“2. Smith's Wife, family being DIE HARD COUGS”

“So both a fact, and a likely true assumption on the wife being from Coug country and that family is probably Coug fans.”

So which is it? Are they “DIE HARD COUGS” or probably Coug fans?

50/50 that Kyle Smith is around next year.

It’s possible Rice and Smith combo somewhere else together.
Exactly what I was thinking. Keep Smith, small chance Rice stays. If Smith leaves it’s almost certain he’s gone and probably follows him along with 2-3 more.

Words of wisdom. I've stopped worrying about what WSU won't have next year and now simply enjoy & savor what WSU has this year. Nobody is going into the portal before the end of this season.

Glad Cougar
This is the way. And contribute what you can, support the school as much as you are comfortably able to along the way. Can’t do anything else

Not that I think Rice is leaving, as I don't know if he is going to leave, and not that I think NIL money, higher more visible profile to try to make NBA.

Again I'm not saying those are reasons, only that those could be reasons.

But just like those possible reasons for possibly leaving exist, there are possible reasons for Rice maybe staying.

Like Smith, WSU sticking by Rice, when a lot of programs would have kicked Rice to curb, when he got cancer.

Like Rice's mother moving to Pullman when Rice got cancer.

Like Smith, WSU developing Rice awesomely so that in theory he might not have to have a more visible profile elsewhere to make NBA, because of that.

Despite these reasons, don't know if Rice will stay or go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT