ADVERTISEMENT

New PAC-12 Bowl lineup

Would like to swap one of those ACC matchups for an SEC/Big 12 one, but otherwise I'm ok with it.

Almost half the games against ACC is stupid. How 2 Power 5 conferences can damn near completely miss each other in 500 bowl games is ridiculous. PAC 12 and SEC need games.

Almost half the games against ACC is stupid. How 2 Power 5 conferences can damn near completely miss each other in 500 bowl games is ridiculous. PAC 12 and SEC need games.

Agree completely, but I also think that with Clemson's rise, the ACC is a sleeping giant. Getting aligned with them for some bowl tie-ins seems like a really good idea to me.

Hell yes it is. Maybe not to West Coast fans, but that Bowl game has been around since 1976, and the ACC opponent adds some needed spice to the opponent draw.
That's the old Poulan Weedwacker Bowl isn't it? (I know it's always been the Independence Bowl and it's played in Shreveport, but I always loved the sponsor and making fun of the Oregon Ducks when they bought there way into that bowl several years ago.)

Glad Cougar

Here's the new list of SEC bowls:

Sugar vs. Big 12
Citrus vs. Big Ten
Las Vegas vs. Pac-12/Belk vs. ACC
Outback vs. Big Ten
Texas vs. Big 12
Gator vs. ACC
Music City vs. Big Ten
Liberty vs. Big 12
Birmingham vs. American
Gasparilla vs. American

What I see here is that, true to form, the SEC for the most part is not playing outside their own backyard. The Vegas bowl and Belk bowls are the only ones outside the SEC footprint, and they're alternating appearances in those games, so it's only 1 team per year playing outside their region. So, just like the rest of their non-conference scheduling, they're setting up so that if a Pac-12 team wants to play them, we have to go to them.

I like the next round of bowls. Having a contest in SEC territory is good for the conference and does far more for us than the Cheese it bowl ever did.
Not a huge fan of our no 4 team playing in LA but at least we aren't inviting another P5 conference team into our recruiting territory.

I like the next round of bowls. Having a contest in SEC territory is good for the conference and does far more for us than the Cheese it bowl ever did.
Not a huge fan of our no 4 team playing in LA but at least we aren't inviting another P5 conference team into our recruiting territory.

I hadn't thought about that angle.....but I have to agree that if we are going to have another bowl game in the LA area, it might as well be against the MWC instead of a Power 5 team.

I would hope that we will be pretty successful as a league against the ACC. It also brings a whole different exposure in terms of sports writers and TV revenue. Two would have been enough; I'd rather that the third be against an SEC team; but overall there is a lot to like. Less Mountain West is a plus.

Hell yes it is. Maybe not to West Coast fans, but that Bowl game has been around since 1976, and the ACC opponent adds some needed spice to the opponent draw.
Yes, the Independence was the 12th bowl game and brand new in 76'. Cornell Webster and I.V Wilson played for Tulsa. Wilson was drafted by the Hawks and Webster was a pretty good starter for a brief moment. Largent was in his first season for Seattle. By the sixth year...they had Texas A&M vs. Oklahoma State in the Independence. For an old guy...it's as pretty rich tradition.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT