ADVERTISEMENT

New topic - Realignment! :)

WSU has gotten surprisingly expensive. Ask me at the end of this school year. 2024-25 full cost of attendance is $35k.

Those indirect costs always seem like they're overestimated. Except books - wouldn't surprise me if book costs are double what's shown now. And the university certainly isn't going to enlighten students on the ways they can reduce or eliminate those costs.

Those indirect costs always seem like they're overestimated. Except books - wouldn't surprise me if book costs are double what's shown now. And the university certainly isn't going to enlighten students on the ways they can reduce or eliminate those costs.
Its a horrible shame how the system is set up to fleece students.

The books... omfg the books. Everyone knows its a racket and still nothing is done about it. How big are the kickbacks for publishing "new" editions every year and then mandating that the student have to use the latest version? Or the prof that makes his own mandatory workbook that sells for $100 that is basically some copies stapled together? Its brutal.

*** edit - there is hope for humanity. I went to the bookie to see how much a calc book would cost, and the WSUV campus fall 2024 sec 1 class is using an open license textbook. The good news is that its free; the bad news is digital textbooks are a pain to use unless you're on a tablet, but I'm guessing most student either have a tablet or a touch screen laptop.

Its a horrible shame how the system is set up to fleece students.

The books... omfg the books. Everyone knows its a racket and still nothing is done about it. How big are the kickbacks for publishing "new" editions every year and then mandating that the student have to use the latest version? Or the prof that makes his own mandatory workbook that sells for $100 that is basically some copies stapled together? Its brutal.

*** edit - there is hope for humanity. I went to the bookie to see how much a calc book would cost, and the WSUV campus fall 2024 sec 1 class is using an open license textbook. The good news is that its free; the bad news is digital textbooks are a pain to use unless you're on a tablet, but I'm guessing most student either have a tablet or a touch screen laptop
Especially in the liberal arts, a significant percentage of the required books are available at the library. Even some of the science books are. When I did my masters I spent less than $200 total on all of my books…and most of that was for digital. Also spent $25-30 for shipping on interlibrary loans so I could get some of them from other libraries.
Also took a year of Spanish classes, and paid $30 for a calendar year of digital access on my kindle. Way better than carrying around an actual book.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
Especially in the liberal arts, a significant percentage of the required books are available at the library. Even some of the science books are. When I did my masters I spent less than $200 total on all of my books…and most of that was for digital. Also spent $25-30 for shipping on interlibrary loans so I could get some of them from other libraries.
Also took a year of Spanish classes, and paid $30 for a calendar year of digital access on my kindle. Way better than carrying around an actual book.
After my freshman year, I barely bought any books, unless it was going to be used for the course. I could always find a way to borrow or split the book with someone.

After my freshman year, I barely bought any books, unless it was going to be used for the course. I could always find a way to borrow or split the book with someone.
I would pick through the used and find the nicest, least marked up and highlighted ones. I would come pretty close to breaking even when I sold them back at the end of the semester.

I would pick through the used and find the nicest, least marked up and highlighted ones. I would come pretty close to breaking even when I sold them back at the end of the semester.
I always looked for the ones that WERE highlighted. You needed to get the ones that were done by someone capable of discerning what was important and what was not important. Saved a lot of time when reading and rereading during test prep.

I always looked for the ones that WERE highlighted. You needed to get the ones that were done by someone capable of discerning what was important and what was not important. Saved a lot of time when reading and rereading during test prep.
The problem with that is you could find yourself using one of Ed or Loyal's old books....

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
Better than that was getting copies of old tests. Biology got really easy when I found out that all of the professors banked their tests at SLIC.

I hadn't seen this article posted here. If you have interest in some thoughts from OSU then it might interest you. Long article but it's the most information I've heard from OSU in a long while.

Biggest takeaway is the fact that she acknowledged that we can't wait two years to make decisions but we don't want to rush into a decision because of people being concerned.

I hadn't seen this article posted here. If you have interest in some thoughts from OSU then it might interest you. Long article but it's the most information I've heard from OSU in a long while.

Thanks Meister. Nice article, although it doesn't provide much insight (no surprise there). Did you know that OSU's president is also a Coug? Master's or PhD, can't remember which.

Still better than getting mixed up with one of Ed's or Loyal's ex-girlfriends ;)
Yeah you don't want any of my ex-girlfriends. They would be certain to be disappointed after I ruined them for all other men. You boys just wouldn't measure up.

On costs - hell almost half of it is living expenses, meaning the outrageous dorm and meal plan costs for the required freshmen live-in rule. After that, living in an apartment with a couple of buddies would bring that way down. Although adding in beer costs would mitigate the savings.

• Haha
Reactions: PeteTheChop
B12 looking to expand with... ........ ........... ................ Connecticut?

I first read this from a Las Vegas Newspaper via MSN but apparently it's something that was reported by NBC on Friday.

Las Vegas Review-Journal article that mentions it via MSN..... https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/will-pac-12-holdovers-make-mountain-west-home/ar-AA1pmyyn

NBC Connecticut article: https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news...iting-uconn-after-school-makes-pitch/3370453/
The LV Review article gives me some hope again for the merger. At this point the main reasons for still wanting a reverse merger are, in no particular order:
  • Keeping our future NCAA basketball allocations (~$30M for the Pac-2 in FY 2026 and beyond)
  • Allowing for a rewritten set of bylaws that IMHO would benefit the MW schools if done correctly. Reduce exit fees and eliminate the BSU premium for starters
  • Add a litle cachet to the conference. This one is debatable, but I stand firm on the notion that the Alaska Air PacMtn Conference would come off as an elevation in profile for the MW, and some semblance of face-saving for the Pac-2
  • If we could pull it off and make it effective for FY2025, the Pac-2 would keep their BB allocations, the MW schools would keep all of theirs (however that would be split up, assumably pro-rata as they currently stand. Pac-2 and MW schools keep whatever other cash, etc. exists. Now if the Pac-2 were to join another conference (none of whom want us) as of FY 2025, our final Rose Bowl $50M and CFP monies (a few $M?) would probably go away. So it's reverse merge as of FY 2025 or wait until FY 2026
  • Finally, we currently cannot win a league championship in FB, and get -0- BB allocations from the WCC aka HS gym league. An FY 2025 reverse merger fixes both for next year. And eliminates the $10M plus $1M affiliation payments and allows us to share in whatever TV revenues are out there.
Teresa will be out of a job come FY 2026 no matter what happens. Again, in my humble but All-knowing and All-seeing opinion, it seems like her best bet is to lobby for her old job back under new Commissioner Gloria Nevarez. Part of my magical and almost mystical vision is, as stated only a few dozen times, is to shutter the Pac-2 offices and move the merged conference HQ to Colorado Springs under Gloria's leadership.

Such a win-win for all involved. That said, if the Pac-2 continues to F- around, our only option will soon be to, hat in hand, come begging for the Mtn West to take us in as of FY2026. The $30M out the window becomes less of an issue at that point.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
The LV Review article gives me some hope again for the merger. At this point the main reasons for still wanting a reverse merger are, in no particular order:
  • Keeping our future NCAA basketball allocations (~$30M for the Pac-2 in FY 2026 and beyond)
  • Allowing for a rewritten set of bylaws that IMHO would benefit the MW schools if done correctly. Reduce exit fees and eliminate the BSU premium for starters
  • Add a litle cachet to the conference. This one is debatable, but I stand firm on the notion that the Alaska Air PacMtn Conference would come off as an elevation in profile for the MW, and some semblance of face-saving for the Pac-2
  • If we could pull it off and make it effective for FY2025, the Pac-2 would keep their BB allocations, the MW schools would keep all of theirs (however that would be split up, assumably pro-rata as they currently stand. Pac-2 and MW schools keep whatever other cash, etc. exists. Now if the Pac-2 were to join another conference (none of whom want us) as of FY 2025, our final Rose Bowl $50M and CFP monies (a few $M?) would probably go away. So it's reverse merge as of FY 2025 or wait until FY 2026
  • Finally, we currently cannot win a league championship in FB, and get -0- BB allocations from the WCC aka HS gym league. An FY 2025 reverse merger fixes both for next year. And eliminates the $10M plus $1M affiliation payments and allows us to share in whatever TV revenues are out there.
Teresa will be out of a job come FY 2026 no matter what happens. Again, in my humble but All-knowing and All-seeing opinion, it seems like her best bet is to lobby for her old job back under new Commissioner Gloria Nevarez. Part of my magical and almost mystical vision is, as stated only a few dozen times, is to shutter the Pac-2 offices and move the merged conference HQ to Colorado Springs under Gloria's leadership.

Such a win-win for all involved. That said, if the Pac-2 continues to F- around, our only option will soon be to, hat in hand, come begging for the Mtn West to take us in as of FY2026. The $30M out the window becomes less of an issue at that point.
Move HQ to Vegas.

I'm about done with this, but I'll ask one last thing. When do you think the ACC might collapse?

The ACC is not going to collapse.

I'll give you a couple of points to consider.

ESPN has a lot at stake with the ACC and will move when necessary to protect their financial interests.

The ACC Network launched Aug. 22, 2019. The network profits are split 50/50 between ESPN and the ACC.

In 2022-23 academic year for which data is available the league made $481.7 million from its television rights.

This year the ACCN will receive carriage rates from cable and satellite companies in Northern California with the addition of Stanford and Cal and the Dallas Texas market with the addition of SMU.

The Nielsen TV Market ranking for San Fran and Palo Alto area is #10 and #5 for the Dallas Market.

Additionally, the ACC total sports content/distribution is 100% with ESPN. If the ACC collapsed ESPN would have a BIG HOLE in their sports programming.

At this point in time we are hearing from everyone else but ESPN.

Don't know if WSU/OSU could become a member of the ACC with a western pod with CAL and Standford but ESPN will be part of the discussion.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Dude just tell us WTF was said. We don't all do "X".
Just click on the box. 💥 Boom! Like magic, you’re no longer ignorant of the point of the post and you can respond here, directly on the content provided. You can also see who is providing the content and what others think about it, too.

No app necessary.

Go ahead, I have faith you can do it! No need to proclaim you can’t. Try. Give it one chance.

Why don’t you just take a minute, sit down, give yourself a hug, calm yourself, and when you’re ready, give it a shot.

No need to be afraid, Elon won’t bite.

I’ll be right here for you just in case something goes wrong.

Just click on the box. 💥 Boom! Like magic, you’re no longer ignorant of the point of the post and you can respond here, directly on the content provided. You can also see who is providing the content and what others think about it, too.

No app necessary.

Go ahead, I have faith you can do it! No need to proclaim you can’t. Try. Give it one chance.

Why don’t you just take a minute, sit down, give yourself a hug, calm yourself, and when you’re ready, give it a shot.

No need to be afraid, Elon won’t bite.

I’ll be right here for you just in case something goes wrong.
I feel stalked. You scroll back to a July 31 post to comment? And I have no interest in getting on X.

The ACC is not going to collapse.

I'll give you a couple of points to consider.

ESPN has a lot at stake with the ACC and will move when necessary to protect their financial interests.

The ACC Network launched Aug. 22, 2019. The network profits are split 50/50 between ESPN and the ACC.

In 2022-23 academic year for which data is available the league made $481.7 million from its television rights.

This year the ACCN will receive carriage rates from cable and satellite companies in Northern California with the addition of Stanford and Cal and the Dallas Texas market with the addition of SMU.

The Nielsen TV Market ranking for San Fran and Palo Alto area is #10 and #5 for the Dallas Market.

Additionally, the ACC total sports content/distribution is 100% with ESPN. If the ACC collapsed ESPN would have a BIG HOLE in their sports programming.

At this point in time we are hearing from everyone else but ESPN.

Don't know if WSU/OSU could become a member of the ACC with a western pod with CAL and Standford but ESPN will be part of the discussion.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
What I read here is that if it looks like FSU and Clemson might win in their challenge to the ACC contract and grant of rights....ESPN will just dig a little deeper into their own pockets and give them enough to make the challenge go away.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
One of the scenarios being rumored is that WSU and OSU could be added as football only members to the B12, or possibly a rebuilt and expanded ACC. This actually makes sense to me.

Without question, power conference level football is eventually going to break off from the other sports on campuses. If WSU were to grab a seat in one of the conferences as a football only member and maybe join up with the WCC as a full-time member in all of the other sports, it would be the model of the future. I expect that even UW, Oregon, Stanford, Cal, and the LA schools will eventually move to a similar model for their Olympic sports.

One of the scenarios being rumored is that WSU and OSU could be added as football only members to the B12, or possibly a rebuilt and expanded ACC. This actually makes sense to me.

Without question, power conference level football is eventually going to break off from the other sports on campuses. If WSU were to grab a seat in one of the conferences as a football only member and maybe join up with the WCC as a full-time member in all of the other sports, it would be the model of the future. I expect that even UW, Oregon, Stanford, Cal, and the LA schools will eventually move to a similar model for their Olympic sports.
Makes the most sense for obvious reasons. Maybe not so obvious to some that make decisions though.

I sincerely believe this was one of the biggest factors keeping us out of the B12. Our FB was fine but we didn’t add enough to make up for what a pain in the butt it would be to get to Pullman and Corvallis for non-revenue sports that don’t charter flights.

So just where did you see this latest rumor? Care to share a link?

Congress must act to save college pigskin.
Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT