ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Draft and Cougs

If CPW was this resistant in taking L's, he might have finished 10-39 or even 11-38.

Blaming Doba for the Hawks draft would be easier.
"If CPW was this resistant in taking L's, he might have finished 10-39 or even 11-38."

...and WokeEd would have been clamoring to sign him up for a lifetime contract.
😀

The market has spoken and the market doesn't lie.

Yep and the Market said, says that RB's period don't get drafted as much or as high.

Borghi is a RB. Borghi as good as Borghi is, is not as good as BYU's 3000 yard 40 TD best in the nation candidate that went 5th.

If the best RB in the country, a 1st round level back goes 5th round, then what does that say about Borghi? It says that Borghi either goes round 7, an or undrafted.

Borghi did make the top about 5 to 10 to 15 players available list in either, both 6,7 rounds.

Market also says Hawks paid too high a price in taking a RB 2nd round, when the Hawks could have gotten the same RB or a equal RB in round 3,4,5.

Yep and the Market said, says that RB's period don't get drafted as much or as high.

Borghi is a RB. Borghi as good as Borghi is, is not as good as BYU's 3000 yard 40 TD best in the nation candidate that went 5th.

If the best RB in the country, a 1st round level back goes 5th round, then what does that say about Borghi? It says that Borghi either goes round 7, an or undrafted.

Borghi did make the top about 5 to 10 to 15 players available list in either, both 6,7 rounds.

Market also says Hawks paid too high a price in taking a RB 2nd round, when the Hawks could have gotten the same RB or a equal RB in round 3,4,5.
Let’s put it this way. The difference between a 2nd round RB and a 6th round RB is minuscule compared to the difference between a 2nd round O-Lineman and a 6th round O-Lineman (or your choice of 10 other positions on the field)

Let’s put it this way. The difference between a 2nd round RB and a 6th round RB is minuscule compared to the difference between a 2nd round O-Lineman and a 6th round O-Lineman (or your choice of 10 other positions on the field)

Yeah your right. That's why I say that Hawk's 2nd round RB is, was a semi blown, semi terrible, semi bad pick, because even tho Hawks filled a semi need with a great RB, they the Hawks could have gotten the 1st round BYU RB, or a equal RB in rounds 4,5,6, and instead gotten a CB, DE, OT, Willis, etc, in the 2nd round, instead of a RB in the 2nd round.

Don't get why a lot of others don't get what you and me get about that.

That's just bad draft management. I wouldn't want the Hawks GM picking for me in either a real NFL draft or Fantasy football draft. He would pick a RB round 1, or 2, instead of round 3,4 and end up drafting a horrible fantasy football team for me.

I would have drafted a awesome DE, CB, QB(Willis), OT, WR, instead of a RB in the 2nd round, AND drafted EQUALLY OR BETTER AWESOME players, pieces, etc, to build both offense and defense around a great QB(that would have gotten from draft.)

In other words I would have my cake and be able to eat it too unlike the Hawks.

Last edited:
Yeah your right. That's why I say that Hawk's 2nd round RB is, was a semi blown, semi terrible, semi bad pick, because even tho Hawks filled a semi need with a great RB, they the Hawks could have gotten the 1st round BYU RB, or a equal RB in rounds 4,5,6, and instead gotten a CB, DE, OT, Willis, etc, in the 2nd round, instead of a RB in the 2nd round.

Don't get why a lot of others don't get what you and me get about that.

That's just bad draft management. I wouldn't want the Hawks GM picking for me in either a real NFL draft or Fantasy football draft. He would pick a RB round 1, or 2, instead of round 3,4 and end up drafting a horrible fantasy football team for me.

I would have drafted a awesome DE, CB, QB(Willis), OT, WR, instead of a RB in the 2nd round, AND drafted EQUALLY OR BETTER AWESOME players, pieces, etc, to build both offense and defense around a great QB(that would have gotten from draft.)

In other words I would have my cake and be able to eat it too unlike the Hawks.
Schneider has shit the bed the last 4-5 years. He’s still living in the past with his picks of Wilson, Wagner, Sherman, etc. I don’t understand why hawks fans still put him on some pedestal. His big free agent moves have largely been crap (Harvin, Graham, Adams) and other than DK his drafts recently have been terrible. If I’m Seahawks ownership he nails these picks they got for RW or he’s done.

Abraham Lucas, and Jaylen Watson will be steals! They were great at WSU! GO Cougs!

Schneider has shit the bed the last 4-5 years. He’s still living in the past with his picks of Wilson, Wagner, Sherman, etc. I don’t understand why hawks fans still put him on some pedestal. His big free agent moves have largely been crap (Harvin, Graham, Adams) and other than DK his drafts recently have been terrible. If I’m Seahawks ownership he nails these picks they got for RW or he’s done.

Here is how the Hawk's draft would have gone had I picked for them.

Round 1: OT Cross would have been my pick too. Truly Awesome pick.

Round 2: #8 LB/DE. #9 Best WR available(17 WR went 1st 3 rounds(tied record)

Round 3: Either trade up for a second 3rd round for Willis and Abe or take Abe and then trade for a extra top of 4th pick to get Willis.

Round 4, either Abe or equivalent OT if took Willis round 3, and or but didn't take Abe last round or Willis and a DE(if didn't take a DE earlier and if took Abe or OT round 3, and if traded for extra, and higher/highest round 4 pick(To get Willis)(which I would probably do) or Willis and CB(If took a DE), or Willis and RB(my preference(to take BYU RB(3000 yards 40 TD's(BEAST MODE IS BACK!!!), or take Willis and a LB(if didn't take a LB 2nd round.

Round 5: Trade up to higher/highest 5th round pick and or a extra 5th round pick for either DE and CB(some awesome ones fell to this round.) or if took DE 2nd round, then LB and CB instead.

No 6th round pick. Either trade up to a 6th round pick, an or trade up to highest pick of 7th round to get either best CB available, or LB, if LB not taken earlier in 2nd round, and if took a 2nd CB earlier.

Draftees(in no particular order) 1 QB(Willis)

2. OT Cross, 3. Abe. 4. BYU RB, 5. WR 6. LB 7. DE 8. CB 9. CB

Class would have been hailed as either the best, or 1 of the best draft this draft, or at least best Hawks draft in a long while. etc.

I sit back and have my cake and eat it too.

Pump the brakes on Harvin, son.

Those end-arounds and KO returns were game breakers.

By the way Jarred Guaranamo got invited to Cardinals camp…discuss.

Here is how the Hawk's draft would have gone had I picked for them.

Round 1: OT Cross would have been my pick too. Truly Awesome pick.

Round 2: #8 LB/DE. #9 Best WR available(17 WR went 1st 3 rounds(tied record)

Round 3: Either trade up for a second 3rd round for Willis and Abe or take Abe and then trade for a extra top of 4th pick to get Willis.

Round 4, either Abe or equivalent OT if took Willis round 3, and or but didn't take Abe last round or Willis and a DE(if didn't take a DE earlier and if took Abe or OT round 3, and if traded for extra, and higher/highest round 4 pick(To get Willis)(which I would probably do) or Willis and CB(If took a DE), or Willis and RB(my preference(to take BYU RB(3000 yards 40 TD's(BEAST MODE IS BACK!!!), or take Willis and a LB(if didn't take a LB 2nd round.

Round 5: Trade up to higher/highest 5th round pick and or a extra 5th round pick for either DE and CB(some awesome ones fell to this round.) or if took DE 2nd round, then LB and CB instead.

No 6th round pick. Either trade up to a 6th round pick, an or trade up to highest pick of 7th round to get either best CB available, or LB, if LB not taken earlier in 2nd round, and if took a 2nd CB earlier.

Draftees(in no particular order) 1 QB(Willis)

2. OT Cross, 3. Abe. 4. BYU RB, 5. WR 6. LB 7. DE 8. CB 9. CB

Class would have been hailed as either the best, or 1 of the best draft this draft, or at least best Hawks draft in a long while. etc.

I sit back and have my cake and eat it too.
I see this as the first home run draft in over a decade. The NFL has spoken this year and they are saying it was a horrible year for QB's. So glad the Seahawks didn't reach for Willis in the third round

I see this as the first home run draft in over a decade. The NFL has spoken this year and they are saying it was a horrible year for QB's. So glad the Seahawks didn't reach for Willis in the third round

So awesome that the Hawk's took, wasted a 2nd round pick, on a RB, WHEN THEY THE HAWKS WOULD HAVE BEEN GUARANTEED TO GET A EQUAL, JUST AS GOOD, BETTER RB THEN THE RB THEY GOT IN 2ND ROUND, IN ROUNDS 3,4,5.

BYU 3000 40 TD BEST RB IN NATION CANDIDATE, BETTER THEN THE HAWKS 2ND ROUND RB WENT 5TH ROUND.

Now do yourself a favor and REREAD COUG90's and me about HOW BECAUSE OF THE AIR RAIDIZATION OF NFL, RB's DONT GET DRAFTED UNTIL ROUNDS 3,4 AT THE EARLIEST TO ROUNDS 4,5,6.

THERE WAS A TIED FOR RECORD LOWEST NUMBER OF RB'S DRAFTED IN ALL OF NFL HISTORY.

AND MOST TO ALMOST ALL OF THOSE RB'S WENT ROUNDS LATE 3RD TO ROUNDS 4,5,6

AND AS COUG90 SAID THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 2ND ROUND RB AND ROUNDS 5,6 RB'S IS MINISCULE AND MINISCULE COMPARED TO THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A 2ND ROUND QB, WR, OL, DE, DT, LB, CB AND A ROUND 5,6 QB, WR, OL, DE, DT, LB, CB, AND BECAUSE OF THAT IT IS WAY THE HELL BETTER TO TAKE ANY OTHER POSITION ROUND 2, AND TAKE A EQUAL OR BETTER RB THEN THE 2ND ROUND RB AT ROUNDS 4,5,6.

ACCORDING TO THAT THE WORST THING YOU CAN DO IS TAKE A RB THAT YOU WOULD HAVE GOTTEN ROUND 4,5, ETC, IN THE 2ND ROUND

THIS IS SPOCKIAN LOGIC, ETC, 101.

THIS SHOULD BE UNDERSTOOD ETC.

ANYBODY WHO DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THIS, DISAGREE'S, ETC, EITHER DOES NOT READ, HAS BAD LOGIC, IS SILLY, HAS BAD READING COMPREHENSION, AND AS DOES NOT UNDERSTAND SPOCKIAN LOGIC, AND AS MR SPOCK WOULD SAY IS ILLOGICAL.

Caps done to highlight, emphasize, not shout, not angry, not yelling, etc, but done to highlight, emphasize help those who are too silly, illogical to read, understand, GET IT, etc.

By the way Jarred Guaranamo got invited to Cardinals camp…discuss.
subsequently, Kyle Murray took his ball and went home.

He also tweeted "Coach is a big poopy head" and stuck his thumbs in his ears whilst chanting "nanny nanny boo boo".

So awesome that the Hawk's took, wasted a 2nd round pick, on a RB, WHEN THEY THE HAWKS WOULD HAVE BEEN GUARANTEED TO GET A EQUAL, JUST AS GOOD, BETTER RB THEN THE RB THEY GOT IN 2ND ROUND, IN ROUNDS 3,4,5.

BYU 3000 40 TD BEST RB IN NATION CANDIDATE, BETTER THEN THE HAWKS 2ND ROUND RB WENT 5TH ROUND.

Now do yourself a favor and REREAD COUG90's and me about HOW BECAUSE OF THE AIR RAIDIZATION OF NFL, RB's DONT GET DRAFTED UNTIL ROUNDS 3,4 AT THE EARLIEST TO ROUNDS 4,5,6.

THERE WAS A TIED FOR RECORD LOWEST NUMBER OF RB'S DRAFTED IN ALL OF NFL HISTORY.

AND MOST TO ALMOST ALL OF THOSE RB'S WENT ROUNDS LATE 3RD TO ROUNDS 4,5,6

AND AS COUG90 SAID THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 2ND ROUND RB AND ROUNDS 5,6 RB'S IS MINISCULE AND MINISCULE COMPARED TO THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A 2ND ROUND QB, WR, OL, DE, DT, LB, CB AND A ROUND 5,6 QB, WR, OL, DE, DT, LB, CB, AND BECAUSE OF THAT IT IS WAY THE HELL BETTER TO TAKE ANY OTHER POSITION ROUND 2, AND TAKE A EQUAL OR BETTER RB THEN THE 2ND ROUND RB AT ROUNDS 4,5,6.

ACCORDING TO THAT THE WORST THING YOU CAN DO IS TAKE A RB THAT YOU WOULD HAVE GOTTEN ROUND 4,5, ETC, IN THE 2ND ROUND

THIS IS SPOCKIAN LOGIC, ETC, 101.

THIS SHOULD BE UNDERSTOOD ETC.

ANYBODY WHO DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THIS, DISAGREE'S, ETC, EITHER DOES NOT READ, HAS BAD LOGIC, IS SILLY, HAS BAD READING COMPREHENSION, AND AS DOES NOT UNDERSTAND SPOCKIAN LOGIC, AND AS MR SPOCK WOULD SAY IS ILLOGICAL.

Caps done to highlight, emphasize, not shout, not angry, not yelling, etc, but done to highlight, emphasize help those who are too silly, illogical to read, understand, GET IT, etc.
We see the draft differently. The draft was not lost on drafting an RB in the third round. While the Walker pic was not my favorite of the draft, it showed the hawks are not confident that Carson will be available nor be able to depend on Penny. I felt there was a big gap between the top two and the later round backs. Walker was my #1. Most people had Walker with a second round grade. Allgeier was not even a top 10 back on my board but a realistic fifth rounder.

Reactions: Coug1990
We see the draft differently. The draft was not lost on drafting an RB in the third round. While the Walker pic was not my favorite of the draft, it showed the hawks are not confident that Carson will be available nor be able to depend on Penny. I felt there was a big gap between the top two and the later round backs. Walker was my #1. Most people had Walker with a second round grade. Allgeier was not even a top 10 back on my board but a realistic fifth rounder.
Walker was a steal where the Hawks drafted him IMO. The guy is a beast and proved it by T-bagging all Big10 defenses as he ran by their defenders.

Reactions: crimsonstone

It was the 2nd round. Not the 3rd round. While a 3rd round RB would have been a semi below average pick, It wouldn't have been terrible, and as bad as a 2nd round RB pick.

And altho the draft was not lost, the 2nd round TOTALLY blown RB pick absolutely was a WASTED pick.

Any time that you get either a 4th, 5th, 6th, round player or a positional player type at, in either the 1st round, 2nd round first 2 rounds, you paid TOO HIGH A PRICE and wasted a pick.

Sometimes that bites you in the butt, sometimes you luck out and you don't get hurt as bad.

Also the problem with paying too high a price, wasting a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB, etc, is THAT IT LEAVES MEAT STILL ON THE BONE.

THE DRAFT COULD, WOULD, SHOULD HAVE BEEN EVEN BETTER, ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT.

Which would you rather have? A B+, A- draft, OR a A+++ draft.

Which would you rather have? All the good to semi great tools, pieces, parts players on both offense and defense to build around a QB

OR

ALL the semi great to awesome tools, pieces, parts, players on both offense and defense to build around a QB AND a QB(Willis) AND a RB better then but at least equal to the 2nd round RB that the Hawks got, in BYU's 3000 yard and 40 TD best in Nation candidate RB that slid to 5th(should have been a late 3rd round to top of 4th round pick)(the BYU RB is not the Hawks 2nd round RB)

Would rather have just your cake to look at? Or would you like to be able to eat it too?

Another example: I'll use, draw from my past fantasy football drafting experience.

Back then you could have, start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE.

RB's always went 1st round. Best QB or Best WR went end of 1st round to 2nd round to 3rd round.

WR's averaged about 600 yards 5 to 7 TD's. There was about 9 QB's that averaged about 3700 yards and about 30+ TD's.

QB's went rounds 3,4,5,6. WR's went rounds rounds 3,4,5,6.

So the correct draft strategy was to grab 1,2 RB's at the top of the fantasy draft, and then go QB, or best WR.

We laughed at those players that grabbed a QB or WR in the 1st round or top of 2nd round(THE EQUIVALENT TO THE HAWKS PICKING A RB IN THE 2ND ROUND) Usually those fantasy players finished mid to last. Sometimes those players lucked out(thru either other players bailing them out with bad picks, or they made great trades, FA wire pick ups.

The correct NFL draft strategy is to pick a RB if you need 1, in rounds 4,5,6, instead of taking a RB in either round 1, or round 2.

I'm sure the Hawks were not the only team that semi needed a RB. Why were the Hawks the ONLY team to take a RB 2nd round? Why wasn't there at least 1 other team picking a RB in either 2nd round or 1st round, or 3rd round? Why did the 2nd RB picked in the draft picked about late 3rd, an or 4th, 5th rounds?

ANSWER:

The other GM's of the other NFL teams knew that if they were to pick a RB in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft that it would have been A TOO HIGH A PRICE TO PAY because they could get a better player and get a RB in rounds 4,5,6

Just like in my fantasy football drafting I knew that I could, would, did get a AWESOME QB, WR later in the draft(just like the Hawks could, would have gotten a RB later in draft in rounds 3,4,5.), and got one of the best RB's.

I know you and others would say you can't demand perfection, that the Hawks had a good draft, etc.

BUT GM's are paid MILLIONS to not leave meat on the bone.

As good as the Hawks draft was. It SHOULD have been better, and WOULD have been better had the Hawks not wasted a 2nd round pick on a RB.

The Hawks SHOULD have been able to get ALL the type of players they got AND a QB(Willis) AND the best RB in the draft in BYU's RB.

The Hawks SHOULD have gotten their cake and been able to eat it too.

And the HAWKS WOULD have done that IF the Hawks did not make the MISTAKE of taking a RB in the 2nd round.

The HAWKS would have EASILY gotten 1 of whoever you considered as a top 2 RB's in LATE 3rd round, top of the 4th round.

A 1st round or 2nd round pick on a RB is a MISTAKE, WASTED PICK.

Walker was a steal where the Hawks drafted him IMO. The guy is a beast and proved it by T-bagging all Big10 defenses as he ran by their defenders.

WRONG you just DO NOT UNDERSTAND, GET THAT EVEN WHOEVER IS CONSIDERED THE BEST RB IN THE DRAFT WILL GO LATE 3RD ROUND TO TOP OF 4TH ROUND OF DRAFT.

PICKING ANY RB, THE BEST RB IN THE DRAFT, WHOEVER THAT IS, IN EITHER THE 1ST ROUND OR 2ND ROUND IS A MISTAKE, WASTED, BLOWN PICK PERIOD.

YOUR WRONG NO ANDS IFS BUTS PERIOD.

IT LIKE TALKING TO ILLOGICAL BRICK WALLS.

Now if it had been last pick of the 2nd round, then that would not have been as big of a mistake.

But a #8, top of 2nd round pick is, can be like a FIRST ROUND PICK. IT IS WRONG TO SPEND A FIRST ROUND PICK OR TOP TO MIDDLE OF 2ND ROUND PICK ON A RB.

IT IS CORRECT TO SPEND A MID TO LATE 3RD ROUND, TO TOP OF 4TH ROUND PICK ON ONE OF THE TOP 3 RB, if you need one.

That what ALL the other GM's, teams did. And I am sure that the Hawks weren't the only team that semi needed a RB

WHY didn't one of the other team's, GM's that also needed a RB, pick one of the top 2,3 RB's in bottom of 1st round, top of 2nd round then?

Answer: Because it's INCORRECT, A MISTAKE, A BLOWN, WASTED PICK TO DO SO.

BETTER TO GET EITHER THE BEST OL, WR, DE, QB, CB, etc, you can, according to your needs, and other factors, etc, and take a top 3 RB in late 3rd round, to top 4th round to 1st pick of 5th round, which you can, could, would, should be easily able to do.

The Hawks wrong 2nd round pick, left meat on the bone.

Also with ALL THE TIED FOR RECORD LOTS OF DEFENSE, DEFENDERS, WR'S TAKEN FIRST 1,2,3 ROUNDS, THUS CAUSING RB'S TO SLIDE EVEN MORE TO ROUNDS 4,5,6, THATS ANOTHER REASON WHY SPENDING A 1ST ROUND OR TOP OF 2ND ROUND ON A EVEN THE BEST RB IN DRAFT, IS A WASTE, WRONG, MISTAKE, BLOWN PICK, ETC.

THAT'S ALSO WHY NONE OF THE OTHER TEAMS, GM'S DID THAT.

THAT'S WHY YOU PICK THE BEST RB IN THE DRAFT MID TO LATE 3RD ROUND TO TOP OF 4TH ROUND, TO #1, FIRST PICK, TOP OF 5TH ROUND.

THAT'S CORRECT DRAFT STRATEGY 101.

The Seahawks have had a lot of worse drafts over the years. If just the top 4 rounds guys all make the team, then some long term needs have been met...at least as well as can be done by drafting college players.

The total number of RB's has been drifting downward for a while. I just assumed that was due to less ground and pound and more passing, but maybe there are other reasons as well.

As things stand today, in looking at the evolution of NFL offenses, WR's appear to be the favored group in terms of the draft.

The Seahawks have had a lot of worse drafts over the years. If just the top 4 rounds guys all make the team, then some long term needs have been met...at least as well as can be done by drafting college players.

The total number of RB's has been drifting downward for a while. I just assumed that was due to less ground and pound and more passing, but maybe there are other reasons as well.

As things stand today, in looking at the evolution of NFL offenses, WR's appear to be the favored group in terms of the draft.

While what you said is True, the HAWKS did LEAVE MEAT ON THE BONE by using a 2nd round pick on a RB.

That was a MISTAKE.

The HAWKs just got LUCKY that it didn't bite them in the butt.

The HAWKS would have EASILY gotten 1 of whoever you considered as a top 2 RB's in LATE 3rd round, top of the 4th round.

A 1st round or 2nd round pick on a RB is a MISTAKE, WASTED PICK.
Your statement is 100% impossible as both my top two went in the second round.
WRONG you just DO NOT UNDERSTAND, GET THAT EVEN WHOEVER IS CONSIDERED THE BEST RB IN THE DRAFT WILL GO LATE 3RD ROUND TO TOP OF 4TH ROUND OF DRAFT.
Wrong, the top two went in the second round

Walker had more yards in fewer carries, and one less game (he opted out of the bowl). He was rated as the #2 RB, Allgeier was #24. Walker was 6th in Heisman voting, Allgeier was not in the top 10. Walker's numbers were also against better competition. Walker runs a 4.38, Allgeier a 4.60.

I don't really see that there's much comparison between the two.

Also, for what it's worth, every "expert" that gets paid to look at things like this says that the Seahawks had a pretty good draft. There was initially a fair amount of disbelief that they didn't draft a QB, but that's already fading with the realization that they just didn't grade Willis as high as people thought (apparently, nobody else did either). Even without the addition of a QB, I'm seeing a lot of overall grades in the area of A-.

I tend to agree...they picked a lot of the right players, and got kids who really should provide a boost. They may not be immediate impact and get them to a playoff berth in 2022, but they'll be a better team in '23. Fans have been in a panic about getting a QB to replace Wilson. They've either ignored or forgotten that they replaced him mid-season last year. Geno Smith was as serviceable as any rookie is likely to be, with no INTs in the games he started (1 in the game RW went down in) and a 5:1 TD:INT ratio for those 4 games. They were 1-3 in the games he played, but bear in mind also that those games were after Carson went down and before Penney emerged. They had basically no run game at that point. That particular problem should be improved, if not resolved. Smith doesn't have to learn the offense, and they don't have to simplify the playbook for him. Is he going to win the Super Bowl? Probably not. But there are 31 starting QBs this year who won't.

Your statement is 100% impossible as both my top two went in the second round.

Wrong, the top two went in the second round

Ok 1 other GM, team, besides the Hawks, also paid too high a price.

Just no reason to pick a RB higher then last pick of 2nd round, 1st pick of 3rd round at the highest.

Anything higher then that is a mistake or there are extenuating, exception draft circumstances that are, should be extremely rare.

Ok 1 other GM, team, besides the Hawks, also paid too high a price.

Just no reason to pick a RB higher then last pick of 2nd round, 1st pick of 3rd round at the highest.

Anything higher then that is a mistake or there are extenuating, exception draft circumstances that are, should be extremely rare.
I wouldn’t say it’s always a mistake to take a running back in the first round. If there’s a guy there who you see is a generational talent go for it. Barkley and Adrian Peterson are two examples. I mean if Bo Jackson was in college now you draft him #1 overall without blinking. I don’t know enough about this MSU kid honestly just seemed odd because they have some dudes in the RB room and they have a lot of holes to fill on their roster.
In general though aside from the special player who comes along every 5 years or so, you can get a lot better value with that position later in the draft.

I wouldn’t say it’s always a mistake to take a running back in the first round. If there’s a guy there who you see is a generational talent go for it. Barkley and Adrian Peterson are two examples. I mean if Bo Jackson was in college now you draft him #1 overall without blinking. I don’t know enough about this MSU kid honestly just seemed odd because they have some dudes in the RB room and they have a lot of holes to fill on their roster.
In general though aside from the special player who comes along every 5 years or so, you can get a lot better value with that position later in the draft.

Well yeah if you can get a Hall of Famer RB, like a Marcus Allen, Emmit Smith, etc, at the bottom, last pick of 1st round, 1st pick of 2nd round, then yeah you do that.

I said that there are EXTREMELY RARE Exceptions. That's 1 of them.

The problem as you noted, is a COMBINATION of the Hawks having 1,2,3 dudes in Carson, Penny, and company, and how hard it can be to spot a future hall of famer RB, and get it right, that it is a Future hall of famer RB.

Combine that how the Hawk's could have easily gotten the 3rd, 4th,5th best RB's, in rounds 3,4, and how there is not that much drop of from 3rd, 4th best RB, and top 2 RB, and combined with how RB's just usually go in rounds 3,4,5, and combined with how the 1st, 2nd rounds were PACKED with defensive players, and WR's, and combined how the HAWKS had BIGGER MORE IMPORTANT NEEDS at OT, DE, CB, QB, then all those things COMBINED together means that you do not draft a RB any higher then last pick of 2nd round, First pick of 3rd round at extreme highest, unless, except for a extremely rare exception.

In the above circumstances, factors, if you take a RB 1st round, 2nd round, etc, then your RB pick better end up a future Hall of Famer, and your other need picks like DE, OT, CB, etc, that were PICKED LOWER, had better well pan out, and Geno Smith, and Drew Lock had better pan out as well.

In the above circumstances, situation, factors, etc, it's just NORMALLY, USUALLY a mistake to draft a RB 1st round, 2nd round.

IF the RB doesn't pan out, and IF the majority of the LOWER picked picks do not pan out, then even bigger mistake on picking a RB, 2nd round, and might be cause to fire the GM.

Taking a RB 2nd round was a GAMBLE, definitely wasn't a SAFE PICK, and either is, was a mistake or might semi probably be a mistake.

Well yeah if you can get a Hall of Famer RB, like a Marcus Allen, Emmit Smith, etc, at the bottom, last pick of 1st round, 1st pick of 2nd round, then yeah you do that.

The problem as you noted, is a COMBINATION of the Hawks having 1,2,3 dudes in Carson, Penny, and company, and how hard it can be to spot a future hall of famer RB, and get it right, that it is a Future hall of famer RB.

Combine that how the Hawk's could have easily gotten the 3rd, 4th,5th best RB's, in rounds 3,4, and how there is not that much drop of from 3rd, 4th best RB, and top 2 RB, and combined with how RB's just usually go in rounds 3,4,5, and combined with how the 1st, 2nd rounds were PACKED with defensive players, and WR's, and combined how the HAWKS had BIGGER MORE IMPORTANT NEEDS at OT, DE, CB, QB, then all those things COMBINED together means that you do not draft a RB any higher then last pick of 2nd round, First pick of 3rd round at extreme highest, unless, except for a extremely rare exception.

In the above circumstances, factors, if you take a RB 1st round, 2nd round, etc, then your RB pick better end up a future Hall of Famer, and your other need picks like DE, OT, CB, etc, that were PICKED LOWER, had better well pan out, and Geno Smith, and Drew Lock had better pan out as well.

In the above circumstances, situation, factors, etc, it's just NORMALLY, USUALLY a mistake to draft a RB 1st round, 2nd round.

IF the RB doesn't pan out, and IF the majority of the LOWER picked picks do not pan out, then even bigger mistake on picking a RB, 2nd round, and might be cause to fire the GM.

Taking a RB 2nd round was a GAMBLE, definitely wasn't a SAFE PICK, and either is, was a mistake or might semi probably be a mistake.
Having a quality RB takes pressure off the QB, which is critical if you’ve got a new, unproven, or weak one.

Collins’ career may be over. Nobody knows if he’ll be able to come back from injury. Even if he does, he’s UFA at the end of 2022.

Penny showed production for only part of this season. No telling if he can keep it up. And he’s a UFA at the end of the season.

DeeJay Dallas and Travis Homer haven’t shown signs of being reliable.

They needed another option for this year and for the future. It was a big drop in quality from the #2 to the #3 rated RB, forget about #5. Definitely forget about #24, your man-crush Allgeier.

Taking an RB was unexpected, but wasn’t a bad move.

Alright I was sorta with you but I threw out the ultimate scenario and you are still drafting Bo Jackson in the 2nd or 3rd round?? 😂.

Alright I was sorta with you but I threw out the ultimate scenario and you are still drafting Bo Jackson in the 2nd or 3rd round?? 😂.
Well…you have to remember how Bo played. Football was #2. He didn’t show up until baseball was over, so he never played more than 11 games in any season. With a 2/3-3/4 commitment, you have to have another starter-quality RB and you can’t build your offense around Bo. As a GM, it’s hard to spend a 1st round pick on that.

Then, look at his numbers. We remember his highlights, like the game when he ran over Bosworth. But he never had a 1,000 yard season. He never scored more than 5 rushing TDs (or 7 total TDs) in a season. In his best season he averaged 86 yards per game, only 73 for his career. And he was not a receiving threat - only had 40 catches in 38 games.

Yes, he had explosive potential. But it didn’t happen that often, and he wasn’t committed to football. I wouldn’t take him in the first round.

Another factor - it’s a different game now. RBs are used differently, and valued even more differently. For the most part they have to be receivers too. In that way, Marcus Allen is probably the most likely 1st rounder in today’s game. Emmitt behind him.

Adrian Petersen is (at the moment) the active leader in career rushing yards. He’s #5 all time, about 3,500 yards behind Emmitt. He’s probably done in the league, which leaves Mark Ingram next. He’s #54 all time, and he’s over 7,000 yards behind Petersen.

Aside from all that, there’s a basic purpose of the draft - filling needs. There’s no question the Seahawks needed an RB - there’s too many question marks in their backfield, and they need to force defenses to respect the run. There was little help available on the free agent market - Leonard Fournette was the best FA, but immediately re-signed with Tampa. Chase Edmonds was arguably next, but he’s only good for 10-12 touches per game. Cordarelle Patterson is 30. Penny was the best available, and the jury is out on him. So, they had to improve through the draft, and they had to do it this year sine they were going to be iffy at QB. Based on the RBs in the draft, and the need to put quality on the field this year & next, it had to be one of the top 2. When the Jets took Hall at 2/4, the Seahawks had to take Walker. He wasn’t going to be there in the 3rd round. He & Hall were the most complete backs available, most of the guys behind them have at least one issue that gave no assurance they’d be better than anything else already in Seattle

PICKING ANY RB, THE BEST RB IN THE DRAFT, WHOEVER THAT IS, IN EITHER THE 1ST ROUND OR 2ND ROUND IS A MISTAKE, WASTED, BLOWN PICK PERIOD.

YOUR WRONG NO ANDS IFS BUTS PERIOD.

IT LIKE TALKING TO ILLOGICAL BRICK WALLS.

Now if it had been last pick of the 2nd round, then that would not have been as big of a mistake.

But a #8, top of 2nd round pick is, can be like a FIRST ROUND PICK. IT IS WRONG TO SPEND A FIRST ROUND PICK OR TOP TO MIDDLE OF 2ND ROUND PICK ON A RB.

IT IS CORRECT TO SPEND A MID TO LATE 3RD ROUND, TO TOP OF 4TH ROUND PICK ON ONE OF THE TOP 3 RB, if you need one.

That what ALL the other GM's, teams did. And I am sure that the Hawks weren't the only team that semi needed a RB

WHY didn't one of the other team's, GM's that also needed a RB, pick one of the top 2,3 RB's in bottom of 1st round, top of 2nd round then?

Answer: Because it's INCORRECT, A MISTAKE, A BLOWN, WASTED PICK TO DO SO.

BETTER TO GET EITHER THE BEST OL, WR, DE, QB, CB, etc, you can, according to your needs, and other factors, etc, and take a top 3 RB in late 3rd round, to top 4th round to 1st pick of 5th round, which you can, could, would, should be easily able to do.

The Hawks wrong 2nd round pick, left meat on the bone.
Man I guess we should've gotten value for our #2 pick by drafting Malik Willis..... How ignorant of me.

This was a great draft for the Seahawks. They got bookend tackles for potentially the next decade. They got a back for potentially the next decade. These guys will mature into their roles with DK and Tyler. Next year they take a C/G and if there is a QB, done. Give yourself some time for your tackles to grow into the position. Then add the QB and get more distance on his rookie contract. The Jags just burned year on Goldie Locks contract. For what?

Next year they go defense heavy. Fill that side of the roster.

Year 3 they fill holes and take best available players.

Year 5 they win the Super Bowl.

Im waiting for the day when teams treat their QBs like college players. 4 years and done. Trade them away for picks instead of tearing down your roster brick by brick to pay their salary cap gobbling salaries.

The Seahawks should have traded Russ a year earlier. Wtf did they get last season for the money they paid him?

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
This was a great draft for the Seahawks. They got bookend tackles for potentially the next decade. They got a back for potentially the next decade. These guys will mature into their roles with DK and Tyler. Next year they take a C/G and if there is a QB, done. Give yourself some time for your tackles to grow into the position. Then add the QB and get more distance on his rookie contract. The Jags just burned year on Goldie Locks contract. For what?

Next year they go defense heavy. Fill that side of the roster.

Year 3 they fill holes and take best available players.

Year 5 they win the Super Bowl.

Im waiting for the day when teams treat their QBs like college players. 4 years and done. Trade them away for picks instead of tearing down your roster brick by brick to pay their salary cap gobbling salaries.

The Seahawks should have traded Russ a year earlier. Wtf did they get last season for the money they paid him?
Hey, remember the discussion I started a year ago about whether the Jags should have traded the #1 pick instead of drafting "Goldilocks"? This sounds suspiciously like a good argument for trading that pick away and keeping Minshew as the starter. I did think that was the way they should have gone.

Just for fun, I just went to check out a couple 2023 mock drafts. I know that is way too early for them to mean a lot, and they even say that on the sites, but CBS has six (6!) QB's going in the first round, and Draftwire has five (5!) QB's going in the first round. Hmmmm, maybe the Seahawks DID know what they were doing by not getting suckered into taking a QB this year in a weak year for that position? CBS has them taking the QB from Miami, and Draftwire has them taking some dude named Ward (that I have never heard of :) ) from some place called Wazzu at the #8 slot.

BTW, per CBS, the only PAC player going in first round would be Noah Sewell from Oregon, but Draftwire adds in Ward and a muttski lineman late in the round.

Just for fun also, here is where RB's were picked in recent drafts:
2021- 2 in round 1, 1 in round 2
2020- 1 in round 1, 5 in round 2
2019- 1 in round 1, 1 in round 2
2018- 3 in round 1, 4 in round 2
2017- 2 in round 1, 2 in round 2
2016- 1 in round 1, 1 in round 2
2015- 2 in round 1, 2 in round 2
2014- 0 in round 1, 3 in round 2

So we have to go back 8 years before the NFL GM's were smart enough to not draft a RB in the first round! At #54, 55, and 57 were Bishop Sankey, Jeremy Hill, and Carlos Hyde-none of whom will be confused with Hall of Famers. Maybe the best back from that draft was Davonte Freeman, who in his best two years barely gained over 1,000 yards. Hmmmmm, could it possibly be that most of the NFL GM's know more about the talent than Mik? Come on buddy-give it up. If you can grab the best RB in the draft in second round, that is not a bad thing. Doesn't mean he WILL be an all star, but he certainly has the potential. Give him a chance.

Hey, remember the discussion I started a year ago about whether the Jags should have traded the #1 pick instead of drafting "Goldilocks"? This sounds suspiciously like a good argument for trading that pick away and keeping Minshew as the starter. I did think that was the way they should have gone.

Just for fun, I just went to check out a couple 2023 mock drafts. I know that is way too early for them to mean a lot, and they even say that on the sites, but CBS has six (6!) QB's going in the first round, and Draftwire has five (5!) QB's going in the first round. Hmmmm, maybe the Seahawks DID know what they were doing by not getting suckered into taking a QB this year in a weak year for that position? CBS has them taking the QB from Miami, and Draftwire has them taking some dude named Ward (that I have never heard of :) ) from some place called Wazzu at the #8 slot.

BTW, per CBS, the only PAC player going in first round would be Noah Sewell from Oregon, but Draftwire adds in Ward and a muttski lineman late in the round.

Just for fun also, here is where RB's were picked in recent drafts:
2021- 2 in round 1, 1 in round 2
2020- 1 in round 1, 5 in round 2
2019- 1 in round 1, 1 in round 2
2018- 3 in round 1, 4 in round 2
2017- 2 in round 1, 2 in round 2
2016- 1 in round 1, 1 in round 2
2015- 2 in round 1, 2 in round 2
2014- 0 in round 1, 3 in round 2

So we have to go back 8 years before the NFL GM's were smart enough to not draft a RB in the first round! At #54, 55, and 57 were Bishop Sankey, Jeremy Hill, and Carlos Hyde-none of whom will be confused with Hall of Famers. Maybe the best back from that draft was Davonte Freeman, who in his best two years barely gained over 1,000 yards. Hmmmmm, could it possibly be that most of the NFL GM's know more about the talent than Mik? Come on buddy-give it up. If you can grab the best RB in the draft in second round, that is not a bad thing. Doesn't mean he WILL be an all star, but he certainly has the potential. Give him a chance.

If you dont have pieces around your QB it doesnt matter how good he is. You’ve gotta have someone to block, catch and run the ball. Paying Wilson $50,000,000 per year while having no one to block or run the ball isnt going to add up to Super Bowls.

The Seahawks have Big Time and Show Time at WR. They have 2 young pass blocking tackles. They’ve got 2 RBs that need big years and a rookie to push them. They have 1 of those 3 if they kept Russ. Why pay $50,000,000 for a one and done playoff team?

They should've traded him 3 years ago when it was clear the team wasn't going anywhere with his massive contract on the books. The moment he signed his big deal (which was well deserved), he crippled the ability to have the team upgrade around him.

A formula for a contending SB team is an elite D, solid O-line, solid playmakers on O + one big offensive weapon (stud RB/WR), and a young, solid QB on a rookie scale contract.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
They should've traded him 3 years ago when it was clear the team wasn't going anywhere with his massive contract on the books. The moment he signed his big deal (which was well deserved), he crippled the ability to have the team upgrade around him.

A formula for a contending SB team is an elite D, solid O-line, solid playmakers on O + one big offensive weapon (stud RB/WR), and a young, solid QB on a rookie scale contract.

Which is why I wonder if teams will begin treating the QB like a college player. He gets 4 years, if he wants enormous $ trade him and find another QB. Start the 4 yr clock all over again.

You cannot take all the money and complain.

Which is why I wonder if teams will begin treating the QB like a college player. He gets 4 years, if he wants enormous $ trade him and find another QB. Start the 4 yr clock all over again.

You cannot take all the money and complain.
Sure they can. Winning isn't the goal any longer; creating and maintaining your brand and generational wealth for your family is, which I can't entirely disagree with. It makes for a horrible sport for fans, though.

Put an all star QB (even with an all star RB) behind a poor line, and you don't win half your games.

Put an average QB and average RB behind an all star O line, with the exact same WR's as you had above, and you win way more than half your games. Probably make the playoffs, though you might go nowhere once you are there.

Pretty easy math.

Reactions: CougSinceBirth
You would think that the Seahawks, of all teams, would understand this.

Super Bowl 48. Denver has the highest scoring offense in NFL history, with the reigning MVP and future hall of famer at QB. Seattle has the best defense in the NFL, with the LOB at its peak, Marshawn Lynch in the backfield, Baldwin & Kearse catching balls, and a 2nd year QB with upside.

Seattle destroys Denver, taking the biggest lead in Super Bowl history (36-0), and finishing with the 3rd biggest blowout ever.

Put an all star QB (even with an all star RB) behind a poor line, and you don't win half your games.

Put an average QB and average RB behind an all star O line, with the exact same WR's as you had above, and you win way more than half your games. Probably make the playoffs, though you might go nowhere once you are there.
How many times has this been proved? Good teams win Super Bowls, not good players. That's why Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacco have rings, Jim Kelly and Dan Marino don't. That's why in 56 years of Super Bowls, only 10 NFL MVPs have gotten rings (6 QBs). Teams with below average defense or a below average offensive line hardly ever win titles...and when they do, it's because they're top-shelf somewhere else to overcome it.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
ADVERTISEMENT