ADVERTISEMENT

Not Pictured: “Lost Innocence”

That's some stone cold harshness right there.......of course, the only picture that would have been appropriate was the one picking his nose.....so maybe it's better for Wulff that they didn't do it.
Didn't Wulff say something like he identified more as an Eagle than a Coug a little after he was fired? He should be on a EWU poster, never on a WSU poster.

There are a lot of Coug coaches not on the poster...Paul is not the only "modern era" one missing; the guys between Walden and Sweeney for example. Several pretty decent coaches pre-Sweeney are also not there. I have no problem with the choices made in putting together a pretty nice poster.

There are a lot of Coug coaches not on the poster...Paul is not the only "modern era" one missing; the guys between Walden and Sweeney for example. Several pretty decent coaches pre-Sweeney are also not there. I have no problem with the choices made in putting together a pretty nice poster.
One year coaches really shouldn't get a mention.

Come on fellas...every family has it's Uncle Fester.

cuyIVVz.jpg

Reactions: metprof and Coug90
Sweeney only non bowl coach. 1972 team gets in easily these days
Doba only "fired" coach although he can say he was "firetired" - was on coach search committee and not pro forma.

Bert Clark 1965 team good but Clark himself a disgrace

If you want to change sports, only TWO WSU men's basketball coaches have NOT finished in last place.

Bogusto, Sutherland was the first name that came to me when I said that there were some prior to Sweeney who probably could be on the poster.

Bogusto, Sutherland was the first name that came to me when I said that there were some prior to Sweeney who probably could be on the poster.

Sutherland would have definitely been an appropriate addition. His time at WSU predates my existence....so I was doing a quick look to remind myself about him. I knew that he was coach when we had some pretty good teams in the late 50's....one of which that got hosed out of a bowl berth by USC and UCLA.

What's really amazing is when you look back to that era and realize how infrequently games were played in Pullman. Here are the list of home games in the 50's:

1950: USC, Idaho, OSU (UW in Spokane and 5 road games)
1951: Cal, Oregon, Montana (2 in Spokane and 5 road games)
1952: Stanford, OSU, Idaho (UW in Spokane and 6 road games)
1953: USC, Oregon (1 in Spokane and 7 road games)
1954: OSU, Idaho, UW (1 in Spokane and 6 road games)
1955: UCLA, Oregon, SJSU (7 road games)
1956: SJSU, OSU, USC (2 in Spokane and 5 road games)
1957: Cal, Oregon, Idaho (1 in Spokane and 6 road games)
1958: Stanford, OSU (2 in Spokane and 6 road games)
1959: Idaho, Oregon (1 in Spokane and 7 road games)

27 games in Pullman, 12 games in Spokane and 60 road games.

It didn't get better in the 60's. We played 22 games in Spokane, 22 games in Pullman and 56 games on the road. We played more If you've ever wondered why WSU has struggled historically.....playing with one hand tied behind your back doesn't help. It's a miracle that Sutherland was as successful as he was.

Reactions: ATACFD and Suudy
Good Stuff Flatt,

It should be noted that Joe Albi Stadium opened in the Fall of 1950, so you can see a new stadium appeal with more seating was a selling point to WSU during the 50's Decade.

Last edited:
Waiting for CougEd to spot HIS likeness amongst the clouds or the wheat.

Most important WSU coach this century

Clearly his likeness isn’t in the wheat but in the heavens ...

I could care less if he is in the poster. Doesn’t change the fact Floyd, Sterk and Moos hired or retained the guy. And if this is about who should or shouldn’t be in the poster I would only put Doba in it if it was great assistant coaches; and I wouldn’t think Erickson’s pic should be there for being .500 with really good talent and two years .

I could care less if he is in the poster. Doesn’t change the fact Floyd, Sterk and Moos hired or retained the guy. And if this is about who should or shouldn’t be in the poster I would only put Doba in it if it was great assistant coaches; and I wouldn’t think Erickson’s pic should be there for being .500 with really good talent and two years .

Erickson was a drunk and a mercenary, but he got us 9 wins and a bowl game. Not including him would be laughable.

Erickson was a drunk and a mercenary, but he got us 9 wins and a bowl game. Not including him would be laughable.
He was a .500 coach and didn't establish himself. He had incredible timing. If the only year he coached was 88 and won 9 games would you still want him on the poster? Would you put him on a Wyoming poster if you were Wyoming?

He was a .500 coach and didn't establish himself. He had incredible timing. If the only year he coached was 88 and won 9 games would you still want him on the poster? Would you put him on a Wyoming poster if you were Wyoming?

Walden was a sub 0.500 coach and went 7-14-1 in his last two seasons. Should we include him?

FWIW, Erickson went 12-10-1 at WSU. Don't know how you do math..but that's above 0.500

Walden was a sub 0.500 coach and went 7-14-1 in his last two seasons. Should we include him?

FWIW, Erickson went 12-10-1 at WSU. Don't know how you do math..but that's above 0.500

Ed is not a mathematician!

And it’s not like we have a bunch of coaches that win 70% or better. Anyone over .500 is potential WSU hall of fame material.

Could, or couldn’t?

Ed is not a mathematician!

And it’s not like we have a bunch of coaches that win 70% or better. Anyone over .500 is potential WSU hall of fame material.

Erickson had a long HC career and never finished with a sub .500 record with a school. 2nd Idaho tenure was 4-8 but he still has a winning record at Idaho. Wyoming and ASU were .500.

The run at Miami proves he can coach. Winning two national titles is impressive, as is a 63-9 record. I'm not going to knock the guy as a coach for his mercenary behavior. He wasn't a program builder, but he was a winner.

Erickson had a long HC career and never finished with a sub .500 record with a school. 2nd Idaho tenure was 4-8 but he still has a winning record at Idaho. Wyoming and ASU were .500.

The run at Miami proves he can coach. Winning two national titles is impressive, as is a 63-9 record. I'm not going to knock the guy as a coach for his mercenary behavior. He wasn't a program builder, but he was a winner.
THIS. There is a difference and I don't mind calling him a Coug, as long as people recognize this. He was a winner. But he's never built anything, including WSU. I'm OK with that. He's poster worthy.

It's Paul Wulff's birthday (2-25).

Time to wonder "what if" those verbals didn't get poached, Doba's players didn't rebel, Tuel didn't selfishly put himself into Idaho State game, if the Pac 10/12 officials could actually see and if WSU didn't schedule those Seattle games.

He was doubling his win total every year when he was fired.

Wasn't Paul Wulff born on Sept 40th? For some reason I associate him with that day.

Time to wonder "what if" those verbals didn't get poached, Doba's players didn't rebel, Tuel didn't selfishly put himself into Idaho State game, if the Pac 10/12 officials could actually see and if WSU didn't schedule those Seattle games.

We should include every coach who has won a bowl game at WSU. As for Walden, he deserves to be mentioned amongst the most influential coaches in WSU football history.

Last edited:
We should include every coach who has won a bowl game at WSU. As for Walden, he deserves to mentioned amongst the most influential coaches in WSU football history.

FWIW.....I was just messing with ED because he thought Erickson didn't win enough to be on the list. I absolutely think that Walden should be on there.....as well as Erickson. I agree that you have to include any coach who led us to a bowl game.

The good thing about WSU is that Wulff is the only WSU coach who was at WSU for at least two seasons who failed to have at least one winning season since Al Kircher in the early 50's. Even though WSU was playing with one hand behind it's back and almost never getting to play in Pullman compared to other schools, we had decent teams periodically. The late 60's and 70's were bad but even Sweeney managed to get one winning team. Here is the list of winning seasons for each WSU coach who coached for at least two years:

Sutherland: 1957, 1958, 1959, 1962 (4 out of 8)
Bert Clark: 1965 (he was a bad coach and drove the program into the pavement after that one season) (1 out of 4)
Sweeney: 1972 (1 out of 8)
Walden: 1981, 1983, 1984 (3 out of 9)
Erickson: 1988 (1 out of 2)
Price: 1989, 1992, 1994, 1997, 2001, 2002 (6 out of 14)
Doba: 2003 (1 out of 5 but bowl eligible 2 out of 5)
Wulff: zero (0 for 4)
Leach: 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 (6 out of 8)

I like the chances of Rolovich having a good run at WSU. If I had a concern, and it's one that I can live with, is that Rolovich is going to do well and he'll be gone in five years. If WSU is doing so well that others want him, that's good for us. Much better than Wulff, where every other coach in the conference hoped he stayed in Pullman forever.

Only you and a few others care about when it is PW’s birthday, or where he is and if he is or isn’t on the poster . Maybe two or three more generation of coaches and you won’t care.

Last edited:
Only you and a few others care about when it is PW’s birthday, or where he is and if he is or isn’t on the poster . Maybe two or three more generation of coaches and you won’t care.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT