ADVERTISEMENT

Not The Onion

Betcha they'll get it. Decades of the "THEE" thing can prove they have a use other than the traditional use.

Stupid as hell though. Now ESPN or other outlets can't use that term without payment. They can/will get paid with planned uses but now... casual broadcasts can't use it. Student athletes can say it during interviews but the outlets can't use it without paying for it. This stuff is so dumb to me.

Betcha they'll get it. Decades of the "THEE" thing can prove they have a use other than the traditional use.

Stupid as hell though. Now ESPN or other outlets can't use that term without payment. They can/will get paid with planned uses but now... casual broadcasts can't use it. Student athletes can say it during interviews but the outlets can't use it without paying for it. This stuff is so dumb to me.

Wichita State University had started calling themselves, "The Wichita State University" in certain marketing areas, including the ability to have their website be twsu.edu. I don't recall them dropping "The" because of a tOSU infringement claim; I always heard it was because they realized it made them sound like pretentious douchebags.

I hate "the Ohio State University." It's so blowhardy, and nobody deserves more heat than OSU after Tressel gives way to Aaron Hernandez's mentor and derelict-in-chief Urban Meyer. It's also shaped by me going to see them host Buffalo one year and Urby - whose Bucks had been left out of the playoff the prior year - was instructing his guys to have a STATEMENT game... by hitting their bodybag opponents out of bounds, doing trick plays, fourth down conversions - all in the first quarter, at home, vs Buffalo. Scumbag after scumbag at that school.

Anyway, is "the" supposed to distinguish them from other Ohio State Universities? The only plausible explanation to me is to distinguish yourself from Oregon- and Oklahoma-states when abbreviated. Thus tOSU is not confused with other "OSUs".

I have believed for many years that "The" OSU was adopted due to their across the board inferiority complex to the University of Michigan. It was a way to thumb their nose while showing home loyalty. That has been lost over the last 30 years or so, and today it simply comes across as a prop to tOSU's arrogance. To a much lesser extent it was always my impression that TAMU was adopted at least in part due to the Longhorn's attempted derogatory use of the "Aggie" and "A&M" terms. I say "attempted derogatory" because to a true Former Student, nothing said by a Longhorn carries much significance. That is a state that some but not all Cougs have reached regarding the Huskies.

Reactions: random soul
I hate "the Ohio State University." It's so blowhardy, and nobody deserves more heat than OSU after Tressel gives way to Aaron Hernandez's mentor and derelict-in-chief Urban Meyer. It's also shaped by me going to see them host Buffalo one year and Urby - whose Bucks had been left out of the playoff the prior year - was instructing his guys to have a STATEMENT game... by hitting their bodybag opponents out of bounds, doing trick plays, fourth down conversions - all in the first quarter, at home, vs Buffalo. Scumbag after scumbag at that school.

Anyway, is "the" supposed to distinguish them from other Ohio State Universities? The only plausible explanation to me is to distinguish yourself from Oregon- and Oklahoma-states when abbreviated. Thus tOSU is not confused with other "OSUs".
Welcome back HOFr. Let’s have a fun season

Reactions: chipdouglas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT