ADVERTISEMENT

Off topic - MLB and NBA season lengths

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
Oh why not. Remember - Celtics at 5pm on TNT ;)

MLB: Just read an article where a MLB player was opining about shortening the season (and would take a pay cut). Part of it relates to a bunch of games being weather-postponed this year, and some slack attendance as well. I never could understand that many games. Or that anyone coudl get interested until about August. And I'm an old baseball player.

I read up on this - surprised that we have played 162 games since 1962, and were at 154 off and on since 1892. Of course prior to 1969 there was only one layer of playoff (World Series) and then 2 layers until 1994. 3 layers now plus the silly wildcard (1) game. I read the fan comments - some pretty intense opinions both ways on America's game. Season now runs 7+ months.

My opinion - yeah, cut it back by about 20-25 games. Start 2 weeks later, end 2 weeks sooner. Get rid of a few of those mid-week games.

NBA: Similar question. 82 games, then 16 of the 30 teams make the 4 layered playoffs. Season runs what - almost 9 months total? Now the NBA seems to not have any attendance problems, which surprises me. But the teams/players hate the back to back games, the league hates seeing the stars taken games off to rest. Solution? Knock out about 10 games. Personally, I would vote for reducing the playoffs as well, although going from 16 to 8 teams seems a bit much. Maybe make the first 2 rounds best of 5. I dunno here.

Flame - I mean opine - away or ignore.

Oh why not. Remember - Celtics at 5pm on TNT ;)

MLB: Just read an article where a MLB player was opining about shortening the season (and would take a pay cut). Part of it relates to a bunch of games being weather-postponed this year, and some slack attendance as well. I never could understand that many games. Or that anyone coudl get interested until about August. And I'm an old baseball player.

I read up on this - surprised that we have played 162 games since 1962, and were at 154 off and on since 1892. Of course prior to 1969 there was only one layer of playoff (World Series) and then 2 layers until 1994. 3 layers now plus the silly wildcard (1) game. I read the fan comments - some pretty intense opinions both ways on America's game. Season now runs 7+ months.

My opinion - yeah, cut it back by about 20-25 games. Start 2 weeks later, end 2 weeks sooner. Get rid of a few of those mid-week games.

NBA: Similar question. 82 games, then 16 of the 30 teams make the 4 layered playoffs. Season runs what - almost 9 months total? Now the NBA seems to not have any attendance problems, which surprises me. But the teams/players hate the back to back games, the league hates seeing the stars taken games off to rest. Solution? Knock out about 10 games. Personally, I would vote for reducing the playoffs as well, although going from 16 to 8 teams seems a bit much. Maybe make the first 2 rounds best of 5. I dunno here.

Flame - I mean opine - away or ignore.
Being a baseball fan, not an NBA fan, I guess I wouldn't be upset if it was eased back a few games. Like your 20 game suggestion would be the most I'd like. And the only reason I would be OK with it was to get it back to what it was. The number of playoff games has risen, so lower it to the original number. And I'm about as traditional as it gets, when it comes to baseball.

Baseball is supposed to be a marathon, not a sprint. It's mental, as much as physical. Focus for that long. I've always contended, Baseball is sports version of chess. There's a lot going on that is subtle, behind the scenes. Lots of strategy. Anyways, I push back on just about anything that concedes ground to the ADD/ADHD world. Gotta have it faster? Lets... slow... it... down... :D

Chop two weeks off spring training.
Lighter schedule in April
Play DH (if Minnesota is too stupid play again in facility w/o a roof, they should suffer)
Rizzo is just another lazy bro playing 1B in the lower tier NL.
Half of them are off to Winter Ball anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT