ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Line

HHusky

Head Coach
Aug 28, 2001
It can wear a defense down. But not when you pass more than twice as often as you run.

A team dependent on WR play has a lower ceiling than a team with a real offense.

It’s not the players.

Just sayin.

Reactions: Coug90
My hope for 2018 is that people learn the offense.

Sigh.......6yrs later & here we are.

short passes & shuffle passes extension of the run game people.

It can wear a defense down. But not when you pass more than twice as often as you run.

A team dependent on WR play has a lower ceiling than a team with a real offense.

It’s not the players.

Just sayin.

Penn State really liked passing on third down ... :)

Reactions: PINGDUDE4

It’s not the players.

Just sayin.

Passing the ball wears out a defense faster. The defense has to do a lot more running. They will do a lot more running. Therefore, a lot more substitutions. There is a greater chance of mismatch.

Passing the ball wears out a defense faster. The defense has to do a lot more running. They will do a lot more running. Therefore, a lot more substitutions. There is a greater chance of mismatch.
If football was purely aerobics I guess. I’m thinking of a team that’s getting 8 yards a play by handing it to the RB in the 4 quarter. The defense isn’t just tired; it’s beat up.

If football was purely aerobics I guess. I’m thinking of a team that’s getting 8 yards a play by handing it to the RB in the 4 quarter. The defense isn’t just tired; it’s beat up.

Read "Black Bart the Pirate" in "Some Good" thread. He said it better than I ever could.

Maybe some. But it was due to their own failure to get themselves off the field on 3rd down if so.

And that failure had nothing to do with Penn State passing the football, and an o-line that didn't need to double team Vita Vea, who looked pretty average.

Read "Black Bart the Pirate" in "Some Good" thread. He said it better than I ever could.
I agree it works out financially for Leach to take schools that have known only modest success to 8 or 9 wins. And I also agree that 8 or 9 wins feels like it’s about the ceiling.

I agree it works out financially for Leach to take schools that have known only modest success to 8 or 9 wins. And I also agree that 8 or 9 wins feels like it’s about the ceiling.

That is what you got out of it?

Perhaps you know of a coach that can get 4 and 5 star kids to flock to WSU. If you find one, WSU would probably get the "Death Penalty" like SMU.

Reactions: cougarmike
And that failure had nothing to do with Penn State passing the football, and an o-line that didn't need to double team Vita Vea, who looked pretty average.

An offense that can and will run is also harder to defense than one that can’t or won’t. And that includes defending the pass to that large man who lines up just outside the tackle.

it wouldn't be if we could beat Cal and Arizona. :(

That is what you got out of it?

Perhaps you know of a coach that can get 4 and 5 star kids to flock to WSU. If you find one, WSU would probably get the "Death Penalty" like SMU.

Did Kansas State get the death penalty? Did Stanford? It’s always impossible to win conventionally at some schools. . . until it isn’t.

Penn State was almost perfectly balanced run/pass. They used this strange, new fangled thing called a tight end too.

I hate the tight end position for WSU. I believe they are better served putting the 4 or 5 scholarships for TEs into the OL.

If you’re going to be a multiple set offense using TEs and WRs, I think you need to look at the amount of snaps the TE gets and how much $ you have invested in the position. For some schools they have no issues. For others, they are better served putting the $ elsewhere.

Did Kansas State get the death penalty? Did Stanford? It’s always impossible to win conventionally at some schools. . . until it isn’t.

If you did not get what "Black Bart the Pirate" was saying, I am sorry for your lose. Dementia is a scary thing.

Our passing game might wear some teams down if we went up tempo and also didn't sub our WR and running backs so often. I like playing 8-10 WR but I don't like how we sub out dang near every play. Id like to see 3 plays in a row , up tempo , before we sub. Obviously we like to see us run it more than 3 times a game too.

Reactions: froropmkr72
Our passing game might wear some teams down if we went up tempo and also didn't sub our WR and running backs so often. I like playing 8-10 WR but I don't like how we sub out dang near every play. Id like to see 3 plays in a row , up tempo , before we sub. Obviously we like to see us run it more than 3 times a game too.
There where times during the year on a key third down play that I didn’t like the receiver personnel on the field. But because of the rotation I guess it was their turn.

My hope for 2018 is that people learn the offense.

Sigh.......6yrs later & here we are.

short passes & shuffle passes extension of the run game people.
Shuffle passes I’ll give you, swing passes...no. That is in no way shape or form an “extension of the run game” in the sense that we are discussing it. An actual run game requires LBs and even DBd to step in to gaps, make run fits, mix it up with OLinemen and a play action with a good run game causss them to take those steps forward. Swing passes to the backs allow them to drop into coverage Zones same way they do on any ol pass play. And way too often this year our backs got blown up as soon as they caught the ball and turned their heads around. Having balance by running the ball makes the defense second guess and be a step slower...having a RB catch a swing pass does not do this.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
When properly executed, the Air Raid wears down a front 7 every bit as fast as a run game. To suggest that the D line is just into an aerobic exercise when pass rushing is comical. One big guy pushing another big guy back 6 yards, or pushing while taking the long way around the outside, is not any form of aerobics that I've ever seen.

Just sayin'.

Reactions: Tx64
When properly executed, the Air Raid wears down a front 7 every bit as fast as a run game. To suggest that the D line is just into an aerobic exercise when pass rushing is comical. One big guy pushing another big guy back 6 yards, or pushing while taking the long way around the outside, is not any form of aerobics that I've ever seen.

Just sayin'.
It isn't just about aerobics, it is about containment, reading the blocks, it is about the linebackers without thinking just need to drop in their zones.

Reactions: Coug90
It isn't just about aerobics, it is about containment, reading the blocks, it is about the linebackers without thinking just need to drop in their zones.

Were the huskies breathing hard when they allowed 14, 26 (20 in regulation) and 19 points in ACs 2001-2003?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT