ADVERTISEMENT

Official: Cougs vs. Iowa State in Alamo Bowl

The Morrill Act Melee

“Winterize the tractors boys! We’re headed to San Antone!”

Reactions: ATACFD
Nothing. Ultimately the end result will be the same win or lose. We'll start unranked and hope to win the first 5/6 games to get back in the 24-30 range. Hopefully only lose 1 game in the next 4/5 games after that to move in the top 15.

By next September, only ISU/WSU will even remember who played in the Alamo Bowl of 2019.

By next September, 90 percent of the US will not even remember the two teams that played in the college football championship game.

Cyclone fan here wanting to discuss the game. Do not know a lot about your team but I do respect the heck out of CML. He transformed the Big 12 into an offense first league. Our DC has masterminded the first real defense in the Big 12 that has figured out a way to slow down the Air Raid with our 3-3-5 Cloud defense that other teams in the conference is trying to copy.

Couple things to offer some of your fans about not making NY6. Yes, the system is rigged with a heavy SEC/East Coast bias. If you are not a helmet school, the only way to make the playoffs is to go undefeated. If you are not a helmet school, the only way to make the NY6 is to only lose one game or win your conference and go to the contract Rose or Sugar Bowls. It is what it is and is not going to change anytime soon.

ISU was right there in the running to make our Conference championship game with a spot in the Sugar bowl on the line. Then one of Baylor's players punched our best player, Montgomery, and he lost his cool and threw a punch in retaliation. This was part of a team wide brawl started by Baylor. Originally, Montgomery was not kicked out of the game. Then someone from Dallas called in and a call came down from the booth to kick Montgomery out of the game. Sound familiar? This led to Montgomery missing the first half of the Texas game. I do not know if we would have won it with Montgomery playing the full game but it would have been a lot closer and a completely different game. If we would have won it, we would have been in our CCG. Win our CCG and we are in the Sugar Bowl. Lose and OU goes to the playoffs and we are in the Sugar bowl. Yes we just missed out on our shot at a NY6 game. Still excited to play in the Alamo Bowl against the mad pirate.

Yes, our fans have a great rep for traveling. After the Camping World Bowl saw what we did in Memphis last year, they told us they made a mistake by not selecting us for their bowl game. We do have some other reasons for getting picked over WVU.
1. We won on the field and by conference standings we were the best team available to go after the CFP and NY6. I really do not care we did not pass some obscure eye test administered by a panel of 12 people with an agenda.
2. Last year our bowl game against Memphis (@#15) had higher ratings than Texas' game against Missouri (@#16) , WVU's game against Utah (@#26) and your game against MSU (@#31) This is according to sports media watch that tracks these types of ratings. http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/01/college-football-bowl-ratings-increase/
3. There is a good story line for this game with CML and his air raid offense going up against one of the hottest young coaches and is air raid slaying defense.

Should be a great game and I look forward with drinking some beers with your fans down on the RiverWalk. I think we both have a lot in common. The winner gets to give the CFP committee a big FU.

It would change if some of the schools like USC and UW wouldn't have such colossal failures when they played teams in the SEC. :p

Cyclone fan here wanting to discuss the game. Do not know a lot about your team but I do respect the heck out of CML. He transformed the Big 12 into an offense first league. Our DC has masterminded the first real defense in the Big 12 that has figured out a way to slow down the Air Raid with our 3-3-5 Cloud defense that other teams in the conference is trying to copy.

Couple things to offer some of your fans about not making NY6. Yes, the system is rigged with a heavy SEC/East Coast bias. If you are not a helmet school, the only way to make the playoffs is to go undefeated. If you are not a helmet school, the only way to make the NY6 is to only lose one game or win your conference and go to the contract Rose or Sugar Bowls. It is what it is and is not going to change anytime soon.

ISU was right there in the running to make our Conference championship game with a spot in the Sugar bowl on the line. Then one of Baylor's players punched our best player, Montgomery, and he lost his cool and threw a punch in retaliation. This was part of a team wide brawl started by Baylor. Originally, Montgomery was not kicked out of the game. Then someone from Dallas called in and a call came down from the booth to kick Montgomery out of the game. Sound familiar? This led to Montgomery missing the first half of the Texas game. I do not know if we would have won it with Montgomery playing the full game but it would have been a lot closer and a completely different game. If we would have won it, we would have been in our CCG. Win our CCG and we are in the Sugar Bowl. Lose and OU goes to the playoffs and we are in the Sugar bowl. Yes we just missed out on our shot at a NY6 game. Still excited to play in the Alamo Bowl against the mad pirate.

Yes, our fans have a great rep for traveling. After the Camping World Bowl saw what we did in Memphis last year, they told us they made a mistake by not selecting us for their bowl game. We do have some other reasons for getting picked over WVU.
1. We won on the field and by conference standings we were the best team available to go after the CFP and NY6. I really do not care we did not pass some obscure eye test administered by a panel of 12 people with an agenda.
2. Last year our bowl game against Memphis (@#15) had higher ratings than Texas' game against Missouri (@#16) , WVU's game against Utah (@#26) and your game against MSU (@#31) This is according to sports media watch that tracks these types of ratings. http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/01/college-football-bowl-ratings-increase/
3. There is a good story line for this game with CML and his air raid offense going up against one of the hottest young coaches and is air raid slaying defense.

Should be a great game and I look forward with drinking some beers with your fans down on the RiverWalk. I think we both have a lot in common. The winner gets to give the CFP committee a big FU.

Thanks for the post. WSU also has a reputation for traveling well, both during the season and to bowls. The fact that Pullman is so small means that no one actually stays there, so our alums are spread all over the place which bodes well for away game attendance.Easier for many to go to an away game than a home game!

Wouldn't know it from the tepid Alamo Bowl sales so far, but it's a combination of let down from the Apple Cup loss then NY6 exclusion, with a probable after effect of losing our last two Holiday Bowls. Then add in the distance to SA, and the fact that our biggest Washington airline (Alaska) only has one flight to SA a day, and it adds up. And top it off with our BS ripoff WSU ticket sales setup with crap seats selling for more than you can get (better seats too) from the Alamo Bowl itself. But there will be a bunch of people there.

Thanks for the post. WSU also has a reputation for traveling well, both during the season and to bowls. The fact that Pullman is so small means that no one actually stays there, so our alums are spread all over the place which bodes well for away game attendance.Easier for many to go to an away game than a home game!

Wouldn't know it from the tepid Alamo Bowl sales so far, but it's a combination of let down from the Apple Cup loss then NY6 exclusion, with a probable after effect of losing our last two Holiday Bowls. Then add in the distance to SA, and the fact that our biggest Washington airline (Alaska) only has one flight to SA a day, and it adds up. And top it off with our BS ripoff WSU ticket sales setup with crap seats selling for more than you can get (better seats too) from the Alamo Bowl itself. But there will be a bunch of people there.

I read elsewhere that the ticket office said that they don't know where the 2400-2500 ticket sales number came from. They haven't sold out, but according to the information I heard, sales are far in excess of the earlier reported numbers.

I read elsewhere that the ticket office said that they don't know where the 2400-2500 ticket sales number came from. They haven't sold out, but according to the information I heard, sales are far in excess of the earlier reported numbers.

Damn fake news. Wouldn't it be nice to be fact-based in this society? Where is Ed Murrow when we need him?!

The Morrill Act Melee

“Winterize the tractors boys! We’re headed to San Antone!”
I will have you know that Iowa State University was the First to receive the Land Grant designation under the Morrill Act.

We will fight to the end to maintain our Morrill Act supremacy!

Reactions: Coug90
I will have you know that Iowa State University was the First to receive the Land Grant designation under the Morrill Act.

We will fight to the end to maintain our Morrill Act supremacy!
This is totally bulletin board material. Leach should have this int locker room and taped to the front of the playbook as motivation. If the players can’t get excited about the Morrill act, then they deserve to lose.

(As an aside, I learned the Auburn is also a LG school. When I was there in ‘06, I was schooled by a few alumni).

What do you have against fruits, vegetables, grains, dairy and meat? (Unlike most I know what the Morrill Act was)
Don’t forget the Morrill acts was also for the development of the military arts ...

I'm actually pro-Morrill Act. Sent one daughter to UC Davis. Go Aggies!
It is good that you are pro-Morrill act.

The next time you and your fellow Husky fans sit down to eat a nice juicy tofu burger, you should say a word of thanks for that farmer from the Great State of Iowa that grew those soybeans for your culinary delights.

This is totally bulletin board material. Leach should have this int locker room and taped to the front of the playbook as motivation. If the players can’t get excited about the Morrill act, then they deserve to lose.

(As an aside, I learned the Auburn is also a LG school. When I was there in ‘06, I was schooled by a few alumni).
So which reporter is going to ask coach Leach about the importance of the Morrill Act? I would enjoy to hear his answer...

Don’t forget the Morrill acts was also for the development of the military arts ...
Not many people are old enough to know that every male attending a Land Grant University had to become a member of their corp of cadets and go through the first two years of ROTC. Requirement went away during all the peace protests during the Vietnam war. It wasn't until the military requirement was added that the act was finally able to get enough support to pass.

Not many people are old enough to know that every male attending a Land Grant University had to become a member of their corp of cadets and go through the first two years of ROTC. Requirement went away during all the peace protests during the Vietnam war. It wasn't until the military requirement was added that the act was finally able to get enough support to pass.
I didn't know that and I went to school during the Vietnam War. I had no ROTC requirement. I wonder what year that requirement went away.

It is good that you are pro-Morrill act.

The next time you and your fellow Husky fans sit down to eat a nice juicy tofu burger, you should say a word of thanks for that farmer from the Great State of Iowa that grew those soybeans for your culinary delights.
Oh, this is on! Our chickpeas could take your soybeans any day!

Reactions: 79COUG
That went away a shade before the peace protests. I was a freshman in '64 and it was the first year no ROTC was required, I think. I was in Air Force ROTC my freshman year, quit my sophomore year, but I don't think it was a requirement.

That went away a shade before the peace protests. I was a freshman in '64 and it was the first year no ROTC was required, I think. I was in Air Force ROTC my freshman year, quit my sophomore year, but I don't think it was a requirement.
I wasn't in high school in 1964. That explains why I never heard a thing about the ROTC requirement.

My draft number was in the 300's, so I got lucky there.

Oh, this is on! Our chickpeas could take your soybeans any day!

Chickpeas are our J.V.—bring in the lentils and it’s all over but the crying for tofu-town.

Just so you non-farmers don't further embarrass us to our corn-bred ISU visitors - they are garbanzo beans. Or "garbs" as we call them on the farm.

Chickpeas is a city boy term....

Reactions: 4isu4thechallenge
Just so you non-farmers don't further embarrass us to our corn-bred ISU visitors - they are garbanzo beans. Or "garbs" as we call them on the farm.

I don't know much about corn, peas or beans. But I do know a thing or two about aircraft electronics. Much of my company's products are sent to the state of Washington. So we've got a fair amount in common on the aviation front.

Reactions: 79COUG

Chickpea is the older term, coming into English from French centuries before garbanzo was borrowed from Spanish. Us old world food types—the folk who still like turnips and rutabagas—prefer the older term.

Indeed, Cicero was named after the chickpea, apparently because his ancestor had some growth on his nose that was shaped like a cicer. And if cicer was good enough for Cicero and his contemporaries, then it is good enough for me. No need for these neologisms.

I stand corrected. I did ROTC back in the early '80's. The cadre and people from my parents generation led me to believe it was war protests over Vietnam. That was not correct. Just shows what you get when you trust someone over 30... :)

Found this after doing some googling.
1972 A century of military training at Iowa State University 1870-1970
https://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/view...=318997&httpsredir=1&article=6260&context=rtd
It is an interesting read if you are a history buff. Here is a site that discusses the Morrill Act as it relates to ISU. http://instr.iastate.libguides.com/c.php?g=49550&p=318997

Anyway. The mandatory requirement was dropped in 1962 by the Department of Defense. When the Korean conflict broke out it led to a general concern for another global war. The DOD ramped up ROTC training to prepare for a possible global war. When the global war did not happen, the nation's ROTC programs were producing more officers than there were officer slots in the military. So the DOD cut requirements for ROTC numbers and mandatory military service. It was the ISU student government that started the ball rolling towards getting rid of mandatory ROTC. The University put together an adhoc committee to study the issue and recommended a trial period without mandatory ROTC that was later made permanent.

It was interesting that the only Vietnam protests mentioned consisted of some "Flower People" joining in and marching is a pass and review. It was noted they were not protesting the people serving in the military. It was just an available way for them to express their opinion about the war.

Thank you for calling me out on this and causing me to look into the issue and correct some wrong information I held to be true.

Reactions: GrayOnGray
Being an Angus Beef and Iowa Chop eater, I decided not to rely on my own experience and discussed the issue with some of my family members and associates that attended the School Out East of us. They informed me that no self respecting tofu eater would ever stoop to eating a chickpea or lentil based tofu. It would only be allowed if the individual carried a note from their doctor that proclaimed they had a food allergy to soybeans...

It is also clear that Soybeans are a far superior food source than either chickpeas or lentils....

http://foodstruct.com/compare/soybean-vs-chickpea

http://foodstruct.com/compare/soybean-vs-lentil

That's a crock of horseshit. Citizens whose taxes
Being an Angus Beef and Iowa Chop eater, I decided not to rely on my own experience and discussed the issue with some of my family members and associates that attended the School Out East of us. They informed me that no self respecting tofu eater would ever stoop to eating a chickpea or lentil based tofu. It would only be allowed if the individual carried a note from their doctor that proclaimed they had a food allergy to soybeans...

It is also clear that Soybeans are a far superior food source than either chickpeas or lentils....

http://foodstruct.com/compare/soybean-vs-chickpea

http://foodstruct.com/compare/soybean-vs-lentil
Soybeans are great... if you want bitch tits.

Isn't this a mutually exclusive statement? :p

Sincerely, the Iowa Beef Council

Reactions: GrayOnGray
Cyclone, a lentils vs. soybeans argument is the sort of thing that you could get into with any Aggie Coug. While Moscow, ID (home of U of I; 9 miles from Pullman across the state line) claims to be the lentil capitol of the USA, like most things, there are more lentils grown in WA than ID. The Palouse is not just the highest yield wheat area; we also have a lot of barley, lentils, oats and in recent years a lot of rape seed. We always used to also grow more potatoes than Idaho, though that may have changed now that our central basin can make more money with some other alternatives....including grapes.

I will say that I'm enjoying our fans back & forth with the ISU folks more than with most of our bowl games. It's too bad we are so geographically distant from each other; we certainly seem to have a lot in common.

Reactions: 4isu4thechallenge
Cyclone, a lentils vs. soybeans argument is the sort of thing that you could get into with any Aggie Coug. While Moscow, ID (home of U of I; 9 miles from Pullman across the state line) claims to be the lentil capitol of the USA, like most things, there are more lentils grown in WA than ID. The Palouse is not just the highest yield wheat area; we also have a lot of barley, lentils, oats and in recent years a lot of rape seed. We always used to also grow more potatoes than Idaho, though that may have changed now that our central basin can make more money with some other alternatives....including grapes.

I will say that I'm enjoying our fans back & forth with the ISU folks more than with most of our bowl games. It's too bad we are so geographically distant from each other; we certainly seem to have a lot in common.
When factoring consumption, not sure the net output for barley is very strong. We might be running a deficit there.

"Rape seed'?
WTF?

Chickpea is the older term, coming into English from French centuries before garbanzo was borrowed from Spanish. Us old world food types—the folk who still like turnips and rutabagas—prefer the older term.

Indeed, Cicero was named after the chickpea, apparently because his ancestor had some growth on his nose that was shaped like a cicer. And if cicer was good enough for Cicero and his contemporaries, then it is good enough for me. No need for these neologisms.
Cliff Claven?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT