ADVERTISEMENT

Old WSU lost that game yesterday

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
when USC converted that 4th and 13 and scored a couple of plays later, that was it. Every Coug fan over 45 years old said to themselves, here we go again. Admit it. You were bracing yourselves for another choke job.

But just like in 2002 after Marcus Trufant gave up an unthinkable deep TD that seemingly lost it for us, we drove right back and scored.

From the late 1970's when I started following WSU until 1997, we lost every one of those games it seemed. Not anymore.

when USC converted that 4th and 13 and scored a couple of plays later, that was it. Every Coug fan over 45 years old said to themselves, here we go again. Admit it. You were bracing yourselves for another choke job.

But just like in 2002 after Marcus Trufant gave up an unthinkable deep TD that seemingly lost it for us, we drove right back and scored.

From the late 1970's when I started following WSU until 1997, we lost every one of those games it seemed. Not anymore.

I'm under 45 so I knew we were going to win.

Spot on Patrol. I was at the game in 1989 when Marijuanavich drove 91 yards to beat us. I figured that the same thing would happen. Cuz I'm a Coug and I've seen us Coug it a million times.

But not last night. Way to go Cougs. I was screaming at the bar and all the "sort of" fans thought I was a nut. They don't get it. It's a Coug thing, they don't understand.

Everyone should watch the post game interviews. I love our guys. They keep talking about listening to the coaches, doing their jobs, etc. etc. A bunch of fine young men that CML and staff have brought to WSU.

I'm under 45 so I knew we were going to win.

Yup, I'm sure you were bursting with confidence following that 4th down play and then the long pass down to the 2. :eek:

Another sequence that convinced me we were going to lose was on our final drive. On 2nd down inside their 25, Falk was scrambling around the left side and heading for the chains, but his slow ass got tripped up by the SC D-lineman. If he gets the 1st down there, we run the clock down to nothing and kick the winning FG. Instead, he gets tackled, we get stuffed on 3rd down and give the ball back to Darnold with 1:40 left.

Not this time, though.

Last edited:
I was there in 89 when we had USC beat and Marijuanavich drove the field and won the game. All their players left the field shooting us the bird. I was having serious flashbacks when Darnold tied it up. Ever since USC has been my most hated team in the country. Love to see them lose to anyone.

When that 4th down play was converted I didn't think we were going to lose. I've seen enough last minute heroics (Rutgers, Oregon, Boise, UCLA etc.) to know we are as good a bet as any when our back is to the wall in a tight game.

What I personally did come to the conclusion on that play is Darnold isn't a good QB. He's just a ****ing lucky son of a bitch QB.

Off foot cross your body throw to a leaping physically talented receiver prayer? That makes you "NFL"?! no no no this is just a physically gifted kid with a lot of luck and guts, but that's not talent. That luck will run out.

And it did when Woods hit him on his last play on the field.

Spot on Patrol. I was at the game in 1989 when Marijuanavich drove 91 yards to beat us. I figured that the same thing would happen. Cuz I'm a Coug and I've seen us Coug it a million times.

But not last night. Way to go Cougs. I was screaming at the bar and all the "sort of" fans thought I was a nut. They don't get it. It's a Coug thing, they don't understand.

Everyone should watch the post game interviews. I love our guys. They keep talking about listening to the coaches, doing their jobs, etc. etc. A bunch of fine young men that CML and staff have brought to WSU.
What makes the 89 game even worse...Todd M during that drive threw a ball right in the hands of Ron Ricard. If that pass is thrown 100 times to where he threw it, 99 times it is picked, on time it is dropped. We got the one time.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
I was there in 89 when we had USC beat and Marijuanavich drove the field and won the game. All their players left the field shooting us the bird. I was having serious flashbacks when Darnold tied it up. Ever since USC has been my most hated team in the country. Love to see them lose to anyone.

I have to admit that my friends and I were personally responsible for Leroy Hoard shooting the crowd the bird. 19 year old me and my friends had a very immature conversation with him at halftime.

Wasn't that during Price's first year and the game USC was allowed two 5th downs on offense on that drive by some very incompetent refs. USC didn't beat us that game, the refs did.

I have to admit that my friends and I were personally responsible for Leroy Hoard shooting the crowd the bird. 19 year old me and my friends had a very immature conversation with him at halftime.
Leroy Hoard? Didn't he play for Michigan? Or do you mean Ricky Ervins?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT