ADVERTISEMENT

Ole Miss interested in Leach?

"Dodd writes that an unnamed source in the Mississippi region believes Leach would be a good fit in Oxford."

Boy, good thing the source remained unnamed with such an exclusive, insiders take.

"You know who could be a good coach for Ole Miss? Mike Leach. But, don't put me on the record."

"Dodd writes that an unnamed source in the Mississippi region believes Leach would be a good fit in Oxford."

Boy, good thing the source remained unnamed with such an exclusive, insiders take.

"You know who could be a good coach for Ole Miss? Mike Leach. But, don't put me on the record."

In other news, I heard that something might have happened somewhere, but don't quote me on that.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Between you, me, Fab and the unnamed source in Mississippi, that's four sources.

That's confirmation from multiple sources. Gotta be true.
but only one of those is unnamed--clearly, you need confirmation from another unnamed source.

People can wish all they want. Presume anything.
And many times we or they are wrong.

Personally, something tells me that - Leach isn't going anywhere.

He's just getting started.

People can wish all they want. Presume anything.
And many times we or they are wrong.

Personally, something tells me that - Leach isn't going anywhere.

He's just getting started.

Why put all the time in to finally get it close to where you want it, only to start over somewhere else?

The spotlight is much brighter now at Ole Miss....

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Leach would have a rough time in the SEC with media issues. He does not have much of that problem here, is well compensated, and allowed to act pretty much however he wants. He also does not have to do much donor gladhanding, and that would be an issue in the SEC as well.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
There is a story like this every year. A program in a power 5 conference needs a new coach. So, because Leach is at a school that unfortunately, most people don't respect the overall football program, they bring up his name.

Heck, Dennis Dodd writes this in his article, "Leach might be available. There is the thought he has maxed out in Pullman where the Cougars have won 17 games -- once again, in Pullman -- the past two seasons."

They have the second most wins in the conference the last two years and yet he has maxed out and may be available? If being in the hunt to win the Pac 12 every year is maxed out, what does that say about the rest of teams that are not in the hunt year after year? I don't understand the logic.

There is a story like this every year. A program in a power 5 conference needs a new coach. So, because Leach is at a school that unfortunately, most people don't respect the overall football program, they bring up his name.

Heck, Dennis Dodd writes this in his article, "Leach might be available. There is the thought he has maxed out in Pullman where the Cougars have won 17 games -- once again, in Pullman -- the past two seasons."

They have the second most wins in the conference the last two years and yet he has maxed out and may be available? If being in the hunt to win the Pac 12 every year is maxed out, what does that say about the rest of teams that are not in the hunt year after year? I don't understand the logic.

WSU, unfortunately, is the best kept secret on the West Coast. It is an awesome time as a student and a great college town. Is it for everybody? No. But there are a ton of kids out there that just haven't seen what WSU is or has to offer.

Price was on the right track. Then he left. It annoys me that people think winning can't be done at a high level at WSU. It can be.

WSU, unfortunately, is the best kept secret on the West Coast. It is an awesome time as a student and a great college town. Is it for everybody? No. But there are a ton of kids out there that just haven't seen what WSU is or has to offer.

Price was on the right track. Then he left. It annoys me that people think winning can't be done at a high level at WSU. It can be.

Yes...too many make excuses for WSU.

Like..."we can't build any OL depth...or can't recruit NFL-type talent on the OL!"

Not naming anyone though...

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
We've reached the point in Leach's WSU tenure where his stock is sky high. 3 straight bowls has never been done in Pullman, Falk is a senior, and Leach might be at the place in his career where he's kicking tires, thinking about his last job.

Last edited:
Almost never.

Good point. This is what you have to deal with when you have a good coach. Will Leach EVER leave Pullman for another job? Who knows? What if we go 11-2 and he gets offered a job at Oklahoma or some other elite program? If it happens, it happens. It means we made a slam dunk hire and that he turned our program around. I don't see Leach leaving, for Mississippi of all places, but you never know.

Good point. This is what you have to deal with when you have a good coach. Will Leach EVER leave Pullman for another job? Who knows? What if we go 11-2 and he gets offered a job at Oklahoma or some other elite program? If it happens, it happens. It means we made a slam dunk hire and that he turned our program around. I don't see Leach leaving, for Mississippi of all places, but you never know.

Well, we obviously never say never.....(cough, Virginia, cough), but it's hard to imagine Leach leaving WSU right now. As close as we've been to winning the North, you'd think that a competitive coach would want to at least win the division. 11-2 would certainly do that. Would an "elite" program come calling? The great thing for us when it comes to Leach is that any "elite" program that is honest with itself knows that Leach isn't the solution. The losses to FCS teams are not an aberration when you look at his career. As much as I respect Leach, the man knows how to coach a clunker every year. In his time at Tech, Leach teams lost as a favorite to 3-8 Kansas, 7-5 New Mexico, 4-7 Ok State, 2-10 Colorado, 6-7 Colorado, and 6-7 Texas A&M. They nearly lost to 4-7 KU in his first season, 5-7 CU in 2003, 4-7 KU in 2004, and 4-8 Baylor in 2009. Elite programs can't tolerate a coach with that kind of history. I'm fine with it. Give me 8+ wins per year and it's going to be a while before I get cranky.

Not to mention, does a program like Ole Miss give him the "habitual rollover" contract he has here? Seriously, the man has more job security than probably anyone in the country.

And I've said it before, the Marquess Wilson situation was probably actually good for his relationship at WSU. Moos stepped in and took care of that swiftly and had his coach's back the whole way.

All that, plus no nosey boosters getting in his business, I can see why WSU would be a more attractive spot for him than Ole Miss.

Well, we obviously never say never.....(cough, Virginia, cough), but it's hard to imagine Leach leaving WSU right now. As close as we've been to winning the North, you'd think that a competitive coach would want to at least win the division. 11-2 would certainly do that. Would an "elite" program come calling? The great thing for us when it comes to Leach is that any "elite" program that is honest with itself knows that Leach isn't the solution. The losses to FCS teams are not an aberration when you look at his career. As much as I respect Leach, the man knows how to coach a clunker every year. In his time at Tech, Leach teams lost as a favorite to 3-8 Kansas, 7-5 New Mexico, 4-7 Ok State, 2-10 Colorado, 6-7 Colorado, and 6-7 Texas A&M. They nearly lost to 4-7 KU in his first season, 5-7 CU in 2003, 4-7 KU in 2004, and 4-8 Baylor in 2009. Elite programs can't tolerate a coach with that kind of history. I'm fine with it. Give me 8+ wins per year and it's going to be a while before I get cranky.

In retrospect (for some of us), Bennett leaving for Virginia was a complete slam dunk no-brainer.

In retrospect (for some of us), Bennett leaving for Virginia was a complete slam dunk no-brainer.

In hindsight, I agree. If you would have posted a rumor on the board two weeks before the announcement that Bennett was thinking about leaving WSU for an ACC team that had only finished in the upper half of the conference once in 10+ years with only two NCAA appearances, you would have been laughed off the board. I can't picture the scenario where Leach would look smart leaving but there probably is a no-brainer one that we can't envision. Ole Miss isn't it though.

It has been said to me several times...he loves Pullman. There would be only one job he would certainly leave for, and that job wont be open for another 2 to 3 years. He isn't going to Mississippi unless Schultz gets in his way.

In hindsight, I agree. If you would have posted a rumor on the board two weeks before the announcement that Bennett was thinking about leaving WSU for an ACC team that had only finished in the upper half of the conference once in 10+ years with only two NCAA appearances, you would have been laughed off the board. I can't picture the scenario where Leach would look smart leaving but there probably is a no-brainer one that we can't envision. Ole Miss isn't it though.

Most of us had no idea that UVa had built John Paul Jones Arena and was committed to being a power in the ACC prior to Bennett leaving WSU. It's an incredible arena...Charlottesville is a beautiful small college town in a picturesque area..great recruiting region...UVa is a prestigious university...yep, a no-brainer.

Most of us had no idea that UVa had built John Paul Jones Arena and was committed to being a power in the ACC prior to Bennett leaving WSU. It's an incredible arena...Charlottesville is a beautiful small college town in a picturesque area..great recruiting region...UVa is a prestigious university...yep, a no-brainer.
It is a great area...ve what happened this past weekend. Apparently it was a nice place for the President of the WSU chapter of the young republicans to go visit this weekend.

It is a great area...ve what happened this past weekend. Apparently it was a nice place for the President of the WSU chapter of the young republicans to go visit this weekend.

Are you injecting politics on this board? Let's keep it free of politics. This is a refuge away from that and I'd like to keep it that way (and I'm willing to discuss politics in person if you'd like).

I could see Leach going to a top program with a significant bump in pay if offered. Have to scratch my balding head though to come up with some possibilities. The SEC (Sure Everybody Cheats) would be an odd landing place for him though. And their donors influence would not sit well with him. BYU? Forget it. The HC at BYU is required to be an active member in the LDS and in good standing. Jack Mormons like Mike need not apply. Is he really that fond of the Palouse or is it just coach speak? Every HC is going to say that the loves the local environment. Idaho was supposedly Uncle Denny's last job- at least according to him. Erickson may be a poor example but you should be able to get my drift. Flat's point about our annual inexplicable flop would raise eyebrows at the Michigans, Notre Dames, Oklahomas etc. I could see a poor relationship with Schulz or Moos's successor as giving him happy feet but other than that, not really a major concern.

I heard that Chris Peterson is interviewing for the position.

I don't know if he was interviewing, but he was seen getting off a private plane at the little Oxford airport early Sunday morning. No other news to report at this point.

It has been said to me several times...he loves Pullman. There would be only one job he would certainly leave for, and that job wont be open for another 2 to 3 years. He isn't going to Mississippi unless Schultz gets in his way.

This is about the only thing that scares me, because the plausibility is probably higher than I'd like...

Are you injecting politics on this board? Let's keep it free of politics. This is a refuge away from that and I'd like to keep it that way (and I'm willing to discuss politics in person if you'd like).
Yes...too many make excuses for WSU.

Like..."we can't build any OL depth...or can't recruit NFL-type talent on the OL!"

Not naming anyone though...
Weird I thought Utkey was an NFL guy and Scott Sanderson . McEndoo and Withrow as well .

Not sure if we know if we have depth or not, quality depth that is .How many olinemen do we have on the roster ?

McGuire wasn't sure but said 17 or 18 OLs on scholarship.

We won't know whether we have quality depth or not until they actually take the field. That said, we seem to have depth there if of undetermined quality.

The Cougs have indeed had NFL caliber OLs in the past but I cannot recall any of the previous teams having the number of NFL potential guys that we have now on the current roster.

Virginia had also finished in first place in the ACC three years prior and had a brand new arena that was one of the best in the entire country. It was a no brainer that he left.

Charlottesville, where UVA is located, was in the news just a tiny bit this weekend.

I didn't know human decency or lack thereof was a political discussion.

I don't know if he was interviewing, but he was seen getting off a private plane at the little Oxford airport early Sunday morning. No other news to report at this point.

I heard his house in Seattle is up for sale too.

Done deal.

You think Schultz wants Leach gone?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT