ADVERTISEMENT

Ole Miss interested in Leach?

You must be new here.
No I don't think Schultz wants him gone. But I am sure Schultz wants to make the decisions about all that is WSU. I do not think Leach or any coach will have the leeway that they had under Floyd.

You think Schultz wants Leach gone?
No I don't think Schultz wants him gone. But I am sure Schultz wants to make the decisions about all that is WSU. I do not think Leach or any coach will have the leeway that they had under Floyd.

I think you guys worry too much about Schulz. He didn't harm KSU athletics while he was there and Mike Leach has nothing on Bill Snyder when it comes to influence over a football program and the desire to control it. The only thing that I've heard KSU fans specifically bitch about when it comes to Schulz is that he let his wife convince him that KSU should change one of their unofficial motto's from "EMAW" (every man a wildcat) to "EPAW" (every person a wildcat). KSU spent hundreds of millions of dollars on upgrades to their athletic facilities while he was president and KSU jumped ahead of WSU in the US News and World Reports college rankings while he was president (KSU is #135, WSU is #143). I don't think he's perfect and he could have done a better job with the Barber situation, but I think we could have done far worse than Schulz.

Reactions: Cougzz and Fab5Coug
I think you guys worry too much about Schulz. He didn't harm KSU athletics while he was there and Mike Leach has nothing on Bill Snyder when it comes to influence over a football program and the desire to control it. The only thing that I've heard KSU fans specifically bitch about when it comes to Schulz is that he let his wife convince him that KSU should change one of their unofficial motto's from "EMAW" (every man a wildcat) to "EPAW" (every person a wildcat). KSU spent hundreds of millions of dollars on upgrades to their athletic facilities while he was president and KSU jumped ahead of WSU in the US News and World Reports college rankings while he was president (KSU is #135, WSU is #143). I don't think he's perfect and he could have done a better job with the Barber situation, but I think we could have done far worse than Schulz.

It isn't about Leach and it really isn't about Schultz. Two powerful men very often have their egos get in the way.

As an aside...those rankings mean nothing.

It isn't about Leach and it really isn't about Schultz. Two powerful men very often have their egos get in the way.

Well damn Sherlock.......who would have ever thought that it's remotely possible that people might disagree? I generally don't bad mouth you but all I can think of is this:

Ed is Billy?

Well damn Sherlock.......who would have ever thought that it's remotely possible that people might disagree? I generally don't bad mouth you but all I can think of is this:

Ed is Billy?
Hmmmm...it is the nature of the biz. For a good portion they run their course. Jm Walden railed against administration. The AD didn't want someone more powerful than him. Don James. Leach at Tech. It isn't a novel concept. And I just read about Curt Schilling being asked about his support for Trump now. It is only time when everyone in a high profile is going to be asked about it. Small stuff like that many times (not all) starts to mount and next thing you know people are parting ways.

If people knew what Mike Price originally complained about that prompted him to look at Alabama you would be more pissed at Rawlngs than you would be at the person who ran the program into the ground.

Hmmmm...it is the nature of the biz. For a good portion they run their course. Jm Walden railed against administration. The AD didn't want someone more powerful than him. Don James. Leach at Tech. It isn't a novel concept. And I just read about Curt Schilling being asked about his support for Trump now. It is only time when everyone in a high profile is going to be asked about it. Small stuff like that many times (not all) starts to mount and next thing you know people are parting ways.

If people knew what Mike Price originally complained about that prompted him to look at Alabama you would be more pissed at Rawlngs than you would be at the person who ran the program into the ground.

So......in my post, I said that I didn't think that we needed to worry about Schulz being a problem for Leach because he has already had to deal with that in his time at KSU, and your response is that no, leaders can't get along and we should expect problems? Damn.....I need to break out the video a second time. I'm sure that Leach and Schulz won't see eye to eye on everything. There probably will be disagreement behind closed doors. I still don't think that we are likely to hear Mike Leach say that he is leaving WSU because he can't get along with Schulz. You may not know this, but Schulz went to Virginia Tech, taught at Mississippi State, and was President at Kansas State. All three of those schools take their football very seriously (with varying degrees of success of course). He knows how to work in an environment where football is important.

If he has a flaw, it's that he is the type of guy who worries about how his fans act and conduct themselves. He killed off EMAW while he was president and he cracked down on student signage and celebrations. That may anger some of the students and fans, but there were never any stories about problems with departments or leaders. In everything that I read, Kansas State University was a better place when he left in just about every meaningful way. Now, we've all seen the Peter Principle at work where a guy is successful at one level but finds that he can't hack the increased pressure when he steps up to a more difficult task (cough....Wulff.....cough) but that is clearly not the case with WSU & KSU. Both are peer institutions, land grant colleges with very similar goals and situations and there is no reason to assume that things are going to be different for him. Schulz is unlikely to do anything that harms WSU football.

He already has and is trying to make up for it. I am curious of WSU ever gets a recruit out of America Samoa again.

So......in my post, I said that I didn't think that we needed to worry about Schulz being a problem for Leach because he has already had to deal with that in his time at KSU, and your response is that no, leaders can't get along and we should expect problems? Damn.....I need to break out the video a second time. I'm sure that Leach and Schulz won't see eye to eye on everything. There probably will be disagreement behind closed doors. I still don't think that we are likely to hear Mike Leach say that he is leaving WSU because he can't get along with Schulz. You may not know this, but Schulz went to Virginia Tech, taught at Mississippi State, and was President at Kansas State. All three of those schools take their football very seriously (with varying degrees of success of course). He knows how to work in an environment where football is important.

If he has a flaw, it's that he is the type of guy who worries about how his fans act and conduct themselves. He killed off EMAW while he was president and he cracked down on student signage and celebrations. That may anger some of the students and fans, but there were never any stories about problems with departments or leaders. In everything that I read, Kansas State University was a better place when he left in just about every meaningful way. Now, we've all seen the Peter Principle at work where a guy is successful at one level but finds that he can't hack the increased pressure when he steps up to a more difficult task (cough....Wulff.....cough) but that is clearly not the case with WSU & KSU. Both are peer institutions, land grant colleges with very similar goals and situations and there is no reason to assume that things are going to be different for him. Schulz is unlikely to do anything that harms WSU football.

Schulz' issue is going to be with Bill Moos, not Mike Leach. Mike Leach has no control over department spending and performance.

Flat... I get that Schultz has worked with guys who have a ton of power in their own right. Do you think Leach was pleased how Schultz handled the Barber situation? Do you think if Floyd was alive he would have handled in a way that was counter to Leach's wishes?

I have seen many relationships both personal and business that went south even though both sides were great people. Leach is not a low maintenance guy. Will he some day get to the point where he and Schultz are on the opposite side of a Robert Barber issue one too many times? My guess is yes.

Flat... I get that Schultz has worked with guys who have a ton of power in their own right. Do you think Leach was pleased how Schultz handled the Barber situation? Do you think if Floyd was alive he would have handled in a way that was counter to Leach's wishes?

I have seen many relationships both personal and business that went south even though both sides were great people. Leach is not a low maintenance guy. Will he some day get to the point where he and Schultz are on the opposite side of a Robert Barber issue one too many times? My guess is yes.

The thing is......there hasn't been any rumors, whispers, hints or suggestions of any ongoing friction between Moos, Schulz and/or Leach......but you seem to really want there to be an ongoing problem. Based on what you've seen from Leach, do you think that he would not have the balls to have thrown a public fit if he had a real problem with the Barber situation? He obviously wasn't wild about the suspension but he didn't put out anything that suggested that he felt that he needed to take action to change things. After seeing various clips over the years, I think we'd know if he was really angry about how it was handled.

Reactions: froropmkr72
The thing is......there hasn't been any rumors, whispers, hints or suggestions of any ongoing friction between Moos, Schulz and/or Leach......but you seem to really want there to be an ongoing problem. Based on what you've seen from Leach, do you think that he would not have the balls to have thrown a public fit if he had a real problem with the Barber situation? He obviously wasn't wild about the suspension but he didn't put out anything that suggested that he felt that he needed to take action to change things. After seeing various clips over the years, I think we'd know if he was really angry about how it was handled.

You are correct, but there's been plenty of friction between Schulz and alumni, students, etc.

I'm seriously trying to give the guy a chance, but it's been extremely difficult. I'm not impressed so far. Admittedly, I am probably a lot more harsh on him than a lot of others, but I'm calling a spade a spade right now (in my mind).

What worries me is that's going to spill over to everything else. He hasn't proven to be the strongest leader so far (in my eyes) and I'm hoping his trip to Samoa is more than a PR stunt and rebuilds the good will there.

My concern could totally be misplaced, but I'm day-to-day on PKS. (For the record, I wasn't hot on PEF my freshman year either, but that thought was quickly extinguished and he's one of the best things to ever happen to WSU, in my mind.)

You are correct, but there's been plenty of friction between Schulz and alumni, students, etc.

I'm seriously trying to give the guy a chance, but it's been extremely difficult. I'm not impressed so far. Admittedly, I am probably a lot more harsh on him than a lot of others, but I'm calling a spade a spade right now (in my mind).

What worries me is that's going to spill over to everything else. He hasn't proven to be the strongest leader so far (in my eyes) and I'm hoping his trip to Samoa is more than a PR stunt and rebuilds the good will there.

My concern could totally be misplaced, but I'm day-to-day on PKS. (For the record, I wasn't hot on PEF my freshman year either, but that thought was quickly extinguished and he's one of the best things to ever happen to WSU, in my mind.)

Just out of curiousity......what's the friction that's taking place? What things has Schulz done that have been bad? Living at a distance, I don't hear a lot of specifics so I'd like to know why people think he's a bad president.

Reactions: Cougzz

Elson Floyd was the best thing to happen to WSU. His passing was the worst.

Just out of curiousity......what's the friction that's taking place? What things has Schulz done that have been bad? Living at a distance, I don't hear a lot of specifics so I'd like to know why people think he's a bad president.
I think that Birth is referring to his handling of the whole problem with some of our Polys last summer. It became apparent rather quickly that our Student Conduct Board was seriously flawed in its procedures and composition. I would give him a bit of a pass here in that he was new and deferred to the procedures and people that he had inherited but his lack of leadership during that time was unimpressive. I am still "wait and see" but his passivity while the school was being excoriated in media from coast to coast gives me a reason for concern. Elson (RIP) would have had the misadventure reduced to a quiet and dispassionate review of the facts within 24 hours.

I think that Birth is referring to his handling of the whole problem with some of our Polys last summer. It became apparent rather quickly that our Student Conduct Board was seriously flawed in its procedures and composition. I would give him a bit of a pass here in that he was new and deferred to the procedures and people that he had inherited but his lack of leadership during that time was unimpressive. I am still "wait and see" but his passivity while the school was being excoriated in media from coast to coast gives me a reason for concern. Elson (RIP) would have had the misadventure reduced to a quiet and dispassionate review of the facts within 24 hours.

Well, I would agree that he was guilty of following the company line instead of leading on the Poly issue and I've read elsewhere that many people blame him for the crackdown on alcohol at Greek parties. Judging a president on those two things alone seems a bit harsh from where I sit. Most university presidents wouldn't have done anything different on either of those two issues. When a student is caught on video punching a smaller person, the institutional leaning is always to letting the kid get punished by the system (and to defend that system) and whenever there is an incident involving a student getting harmed while drunk, a crackdown is likely in the Greek system. Both Smith and Floyd actively worked to reduce alcohol consumption on campus long before Schulz was around.

Like I said, there might be more, but I haven't seen it. If there are other things he's doing wrong, the more informed everyone is, the better. As I've said before, the consensus at KSU is that other than being a little too PC, he was a great president of the university and they are better for his efforts.

[QUOTE="kayak15, post: 143730, member: I am still "wait and see" but his passivity while the school was being excoriated in media from coast to coast gives me a reason for concern. .[/QUOTE]

I think you're overselling it a bit. Robert Barber want a national story.

Fab, my memory is a bit fuzzy but I seem to remember one of the eastern papers printing an article about the overall problem. Will admit that I am confused again if that turns out to be the case.

Kayak is correct.

I could see Leach going to a top program with a significant bump in pay if offered. Have to scratch my balding head though to come up with some possibilities. The SEC (Sure Everybody Cheats) would be an odd landing place for him though. And their donors influence would not sit well with him. BYU? Forget it. The HC at BYU is required to be an active member in the LDS and in good standing. Jack Mormons like Mike need not apply. Is he really that fond of the Palouse or is it just coach speak? Every HC is going to say that the loves the local environment. Idaho was supposedly Uncle Denny's last job- at least according to him. Erickson may be a poor example but you should be able to get my drift. Flat's point about our annual inexplicable flop would raise eyebrows at the Michigans, Notre Dames, Oklahomas etc. I could see a poor relationship with Schulz or Moos's successor as giving him happy feet but other than that, not really a major concern.

I think the only way he leaves WSU is if he gets fired (would take a couple bad years in a row), or if he is ready to hang up his headset for good and try broadcasting or something.

If you are worried about another school poaching him, eh my take is the University of Miami might be about the only school that would make him think about it.

You guys are going to pay him as well as anyone. Why leave and rebuild and teach his system somewhere else? Plus you have more patience than some of the jobs everyone thinks a coach automatically takes if offered.

Will say Miami though... tons of talent, particularly for what Leach does. The place recruits itself basically. I'm not joking when I say that there is more talent in the Fort Myers/Lauderdale/Dade County area than in the whole of California. (Whether that talent can get into a school though...)

Laid back lifestyle, the Keys and Caribbean are close. Swing your sword and fly the Jolly Roger.

Anyway my two cents (about South Florida talent and how Leach might view Miami).

Miami is doing ok with Richt though, and if they were to replace him or he retired I imagine they would go with a Tom Herman type of flavor of the day.

Leach would be darned interesting if he ever got the Miami gig though. Boom or bust, and I'm not joking.

FWIW, if I were the AD at Ole Miss I'd be driving a dump truck full of $$$$ to wherever Chip Kelly is and dump it on him. The SEC and Southern talent base has got to be an interesting job for him. Get him hired right now and turn him loose to recruit.

FWIW, if I were the AD at Ole Miss I'd be driving a dump truck full of $$$$ to wherever Chip Kelly is and dump it on him. The SEC and Southern talent base has got to be an interesting job for him. Get him hired right now and turn him loose to recruit.

Chipper was in the ESPN studio doing halftime commentary of a high school football game this morning.

Chipper was in the ESPN studio doing halftime commentary of a high school football game this morning.

He was also in the halftime show of the Stanford/Rice football game. It's the start of the 3rd quarter and Stanford leads 38-0.

You might be right about interesting to him from a talent standpoint. But there is another angle on this.

I don't think some guys translate to other sections of the country. There is coaching on the field, the system you run, playcalling, etc.

But whatever percentage recruiting is of program success, it is large. And I don't think Chip Kelly could recruit the South. MAYBE he could recruit Texas, dunno. Ditto for Florida, particularly Miami. The man would lay eggs at LSU and Ole Miss though.

As a Southerner I watched Oregon try to recruit guys down here for years during Kelly's run, and go away empty most of the time. Part of it may have been the distance, but Kelly just isn't the kind of guy who can go into Backwater, Alabama and sell Bo Jackson's mama on anything.

The flip side is I don't think a guy like Dabo Swinney would do well on the West Coast. Then again the guy is a born salesman (and I don't mean that as an insult, in some ways he is the new prototype for head coaches), he might well find another formula for recruiting if he were at UCLA or something.

Maybe Chip Kelly could do something at Vandy. There is room for a couple more schools across the country that use academics as their big recruiting tool besides Stanford. But that is up in the air, because a number of schools across the country could do that (Georgia Tech in the South for example). Kelly would do well with kind of kid that you give that pitch.

Fok yeah!!
CBC1ONtVEAE37oh

You might be right about interesting to him from a talent standpoint. But there is another angle on this.

I don't think some guys translate to other sections of the country. There is coaching on the field, the system you run, playcalling, etc.

But whatever percentage recruiting is of program success, it is large. And I don't think Chip Kelly could recruit the South. MAYBE he could recruit Texas, dunno. Ditto for Florida, particularly Miami. The man would lay eggs at LSU and Ole Miss though.

As a Southerner I watched Oregon try to recruit guys down here for years during Kelly's run, and go away empty most of the time. Part of it may have been the distance, but Kelly just isn't the kind of guy who can go into Backwater, Alabama and sell Bo Jackson's mama on anything.

The flip side is I don't think a guy like Dabo Swinney would do well on the West Coast. Then again the guy is a born salesman (and I don't mean that as an insult, in some ways he is the new prototype for head coaches), he might well find another formula for recruiting if he were at UCLA or something.

Maybe Chip Kelly could do something at Vandy. There is room for a couple more schools across the country that use academics as their big recruiting tool besides Stanford. But that is up in the air, because a number of schools across the country could do that (Georgia Tech in the South for example). Kelly would do well with kind of kid that you give that pitch.

I don't agree. Dennis Erickson had no trouble when he went from WSU to Miami. Urban Meyer had no trouble going from Utah to Florida. Leach had no trouble coming from Lubbock to Pullman. Kelly spent most of his career back east before he landed in Eugene.

You hire good coaches that can recruit. Look at people like Tosh Lopoi, he spent his career on the west coast and gets hired at Alabama and is still a great recruiter. Ed Orgeron is a great recruiter whether he is in Los Angeles or in Baton Rouge. There are a lot of examples like this.

Kelly brings with him a lot of buzz. He would do well at any P5 school.

Reactions: Cougzz
I agree about Leach struggling in the SEC. He'd win some games, but he'd never sniff a conference championship like he could in Pullman. In the Pac12, you can win with marginal defense and a high scoring offense. In the SEC, your starting QB would have a tough time surviving 1/2 a season throwing it 60+ times/game.

I agree about Leach struggling in the SEC. He'd win some games, but he'd never sniff a conference championship like he could in Pullman. In the Pac12, you can win with marginal defense and a high scoring offense. In the SEC, your starting QB would have a tough time surviving 1/2 a season throwing it 60+ times/game.

Leach knows exactly what it takes to coach in the SEC. He was an assistant under Hal Mumme at Kentucky. Would he want to head back into that quagmire? I would think not. Auburn was interested in him back in the day. If he were to go to the SEC, Auburn would have been as good a fit as any.

But you like Leach right?

Again, your posts suggest the opposite on here every time. Writing reveals true passions & opinions that the author is many times trying to mask. Funny.

I hope you enjoy the season with our head coach Mike Leach. I know I will.

Reactions: longtimecoug
But you like Leach right?

Again, your posts suggest the opposite on here every time. Writing reveals true passions & opinions that the author is many times trying to mask. Funny.

I hope you enjoy the season with our head coach Mike Leach. I know I will.

I've been 100% on board with leach from day one. That's an odd comment.

I don't believe for a second that Saban sits in living rooms and has a revival or is warm and fuzzy. I think kids pick Alabama for the resources, the coaching, the titles and the life of luxury.

Chip Kelly's reputation precedes him. He may miss on some Southern kids for every reason you state. He will also collect his fair share of talent because kids know exactly what kind of offense he's gonna run and how they'll fit in it.

I'd give Kelly 5 years or less before he pushes for national title at Ole Miss.

Leach knows exactly what it takes to coach in the SEC. He was an assistant under Hal Mumme at Kentucky. Would he want to head back into that quagmire? I would think not. Auburn was interested in him back in the day. If he were to go to the SEC, Auburn would have been as good a fit as any.

Leach was an assistant at Kentucky for 2 years, 20 years ago.

I don't think "SEC experience" is exactly a selling point in his resume.

Leach was an assistant at Kentucky for 2 years, 20 years ago.

I don't think "SEC experience" is exactly a selling point in his resume.

I'm not saying that he considers it a selling point. I'm saying that he knows what it takes to coach in the SEC. FWIW, Kentucky was found guilty of recruiting violations with Mumme as coach, so I'm guessing that it was about the same amount of dirty sleaziness with the "win at all costs" attitude of today.

I don't believe for a second that Saban sits in living rooms and has a revival or is warm and fuzzy. I think kids pick Alabama for the resources, the coaching, the titles and the life of luxury.

Chip Kelly's reputation precedes him. He may miss on some Southern kids for every reason you state. He will also collect his fair share of talent because kids know exactly what kind of offense he's gonna run and how they'll fit in it.

I'd give Kelly 5 years or less before he pushes for national title at Ole Miss.

I guess it's all academic because I doubt Kelly would take the Ole Miss job, since I'm sure he will be offered a job at a West Coast school (where I imagine he wants to be) within the next year.

What makes it more complicated is that he seems to me a guy that prefers the Northwest, but probably still wants to be P5. Washington isn't going to open up, strongly doubt Stanford, Washington State, or Oregon open up (whatever happens there, it will take a few years to see how it plays out).

That leaves Cal, and Oregon State. He might have mixed feelings about OSU though, since it is instate with Oregon. Could see him at Colorado too, it's certainly possible their head guy could take a different job with another good season.

But I never made an extensive study of Oregon's roster, but my impression was when all was said and done they got most of their players from the same places all the PAC schools do. Some local, a lot of California kids, Polynesia. A few from around the country, particularly Texas (though nothing numberwise like the Big 12 gets from there).

Actually Oregon had a big push to do national recruiting about 8-9 years ago under Kelly. My impression is it didn't get them much, not compared to what even a school like Ohio State does nationally.

Basically my take was Oregon had some really good players at key positions, with the rest being average to maybe a little better by Pac standards. Their success was mostly due to scheme. What I think anyway.

But to waste a little more of your time, Ole Miss (and MSU) are tough recruiting gigs. Very tough. Super hard to get a kid from Louisiana if LSU wants him (or Alabama). Alabama has two schools I won't name.

One bright spot for Ole Miss is that a lot of Memphis kids tend to prefer Ole Miss to Tennessee (Knoxville is a good bit further away).

Arkansas recruits well there too though. Not sure why MSU hasn't gotten more from Memphis, but they haven't. Plus Memphis State sucks up some of those players too.

Reactions: ATACFD
I guess it's all academic because I doubt Kelly would take the Ole Miss job, since I'm sure he will be offered a job at a West Coast school (where I imagine he wants to be) within the next year.

What makes it more complicated is that he seems to me a guy that prefers the Northwest, but probably still wants to be P5. Washington isn't going to open up, strongly doubt Stanford, Washington State, or Oregon open up (whatever happens there, it will take a few years to see how it plays out).

That leaves Cal, and Oregon State. He might have mixed feelings about OSU though, since it is instate with Oregon. Could see him at Colorado too, it's certainly possible their head guy could take a different job with another good season.

But I never made an extensive study of Oregon's roster, but my impression was when all was said and done they got most of their players from the same places all the PAC schools do. Some local, a lot of California kids, Polynesia. A few from around the country, particularly Texas (though nothing numberwise like the Big 12 gets from there).

Actually Oregon had a big push to do national recruiting about 8-9 years ago under Kelly. My impression is it didn't get them much, not compared to what even a school like Ohio State does nationally.

Basically my take was Oregon had some really good players at key positions, with the rest being average to maybe a little better by Pac standards. Their success was mostly due to scheme. What I think anyway.

But to waste a little more of your time, Ole Miss (and MSU) are tough recruiting gigs. Very tough. Super hard to get a kid from Louisiana if LSU wants him (or Alabama). Alabama has two schools I won't name.

One bright spot for Ole Miss is that a lot of Memphis kids tend to prefer Ole Miss to Tennessee (Knoxville is a good bit further away).

Arkansas recruits well there too though. Not sure why MSU hasn't gotten more from Memphis, but they haven't. Plus Memphis State sucks up some of those players too.

Don't be surprised if the UCLA job is open next year. ASU and Arizona might also end up being available. Kelly will probably have plenty of opportunity to pick from.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT