ADVERTISEMENT

Ole Miss interested in Leach?

I guess it's all academic because I doubt Kelly would take the Ole Miss job, since I'm sure he will be offered a job at a West Coast school (where I imagine he wants to be) within the next year.

What makes it more complicated is that he seems to me a guy that prefers the Northwest, but probably still wants to be P5. Washington isn't going to open up, strongly doubt Stanford, Washington State, or Oregon open up (whatever happens there, it will take a few years to see how it plays out).

That leaves Cal, and Oregon State. He might have mixed feelings about OSU though, since it is instate with Oregon. Could see him at Colorado too, it's certainly possible their head guy could take a different job with another good season.

But I never made an extensive study of Oregon's roster, but my impression was when all was said and done they got most of their players from the same places all the PAC schools do. Some local, a lot of California kids, Polynesia. A few from around the country, particularly Texas (though nothing numberwise like the Big 12 gets from there).

Actually Oregon had a big push to do national recruiting about 8-9 years ago under Kelly. My impression is it didn't get them much, not compared to what even a school like Ohio State does nationally.

Basically my take was Oregon had some really good players at key positions, with the rest being average to maybe a little better by Pac standards. Their success was mostly due to scheme. What I think anyway.

But to waste a little more of your time, Ole Miss (and MSU) are tough recruiting gigs. Very tough. Super hard to get a kid from Louisiana if LSU wants him (or Alabama). Alabama has two schools I won't name.

One bright spot for Ole Miss is that a lot of Memphis kids tend to prefer Ole Miss to Tennessee (Knoxville is a good bit further away).

Arkansas recruits well there too though. Not sure why MSU hasn't gotten more from Memphis, but they haven't. Plus Memphis State sucks up some of those players too.

Ole Miss and MSU are tough recruiting gigs???

I think Kelly's next college job has an abundance of local talent. It may or may not have rich football tradition.

Ole Miss and MSU are tough recruiting gigs???

Yes they are.

South Carolina is obviously not one of the Mississippi schools. But we perennially finish in the top 30 in recruiting. Often top twenty.

And we are almost always 7th or 8th in the SEC when it comes to recruiting.

Mississippi usually winds up being ranked with Louisiana in some kind of #1-#2 thing when it comes to NFL players per capita. But it isn't a large state population wise, plus they basically split players with Mississippi State. And Alabama in particular has a long history of coming in and plucking whoever they want from that state anyhow.

To make any headway in the SEC West you somehow have to deal with schools that commonly finish top ten in recruiting like LSU, Alabama, and A&M (probably though I never paid much attention to them before they joined the SEC). Not to mention Auburn who occasionally is top ten, but usually 10 to 15.

Tough recruiting job. At least neither Georgia or Florida is their permanent East opponent.

When Kelly left Oregon for the NFL he was quoted as saying that he was done with the college scene as he didn't care for the recruiting duties. Now that he has flopped in the pros he may have changed his mind. UCLA and the Arizona schools are interesting prospects for him. My wallet says that at least one, if not all, of those HC spots open up after this season. His national reputation and familiarity with the west coast would make any team he is employed by an immediate attraction for recruits. Also immediate hype and attention for that program.

Yes they are.

South Carolina is obviously not one of the Mississippi schools. But we perennially finish in the top 30 in recruiting. Often top twenty.

And we are almost always 7th or 8th in the SEC when it comes to recruiting.

Mississippi usually winds up being ranked with Louisiana in some kind of #1-#2 thing when it comes to NFL players per capita. But it isn't a large state population wise, plus they basically split players with Mississippi State. And Alabama in particular has a long history of coming in and plucking whoever they want from that state anyhow.

To make any headway in the SEC West you somehow have to deal with schools that commonly finish top ten in recruiting like LSU, Alabama, and A&M (probably though I never paid much attention to them before they joined the SEC). Not to mention Auburn who occasionally is top ten, but usually 10 to 15.

Tough recruiting job. At least neither Georgia or Florida is their permanent East opponent.

You are not speaking from a position of authority when it comes to what is a tough recruiting gig and what isn't. You have no idea what the hell you are talking about. Maybe tough in the SEC, not tough anywhere else.

How'd you like to recruit to Wyoming? Or New Mexico? Or bring in recruits for a visit at Syracuse in December??? How bout Iowa State? Or maybe North Dakota State???? Or UTEP???

You think Ole Miss is a tough place to recruit???? Get outta here.

I guess it's all academic because I doubt Kelly would take the Ole Miss job, since I'm sure he will be offered a job at a West Coast school (where I imagine he wants to be) within the next year.

What makes it more complicated is that he seems to me a guy that prefers the Northwest, but probably still wants to be P5. Washington isn't going to open up, strongly doubt Stanford, Washington State, or Oregon open up (whatever happens there, it will take a few years to see how it plays out).

Why do you presume that Kelly wants to be on the west coast and specifically the northwest? He is from the northeast and almost his entire career has been spent in the northeast. He is 53 years old and only eight of those years has been spent outside of the northeast.

You are not speaking from a position of authority when it comes to what is a tough recruiting gig and what isn't. You have no idea what the hell you are talking about. Maybe tough in the SEC, not tough anywhere else.

How'd you like to recruit to Wyoming? Or New Mexico? Or bring in recruits for a visit at Syracuse in December??? How bout Iowa State? Or maybe North Dakota State???? Or UTEP???

You think Ole Miss is a tough place to recruit???? Get outta here.

? What are you trying to say?

You don't think it makes a difference who your competition is?

Tell me something. If you had 4 Southern Cals in the Pac 10 North, you don't think Washington State would be a tough recruiting job?

Whereas if you happened to be in the Big 12 you might be a contender for the title, with exactly the same team that went 3-6 or 2-7 in conference play?

You can bang your head against the wall for decades and make no headway in the SEC because you can't recruit players as good as LSU and Georgia get, let alone Florida or Saban Alabama..

Dan Mullen is an excellent field coach and a very effective playcaller. But his record against the power teams in the SEC is awful. Have to look it up, but I don't think he has beaten Alabama the whole time he's been at MSU, and he is like 1-7 or something against LSU. And that is with the fact that neither Tennessee, Florida, or Georgia are MSU's permanent opponent.

There are only so many real recruiting hotbeds in this country for football.

California is one, and a huge number of PAC players come from there. Texas is another, and it does the same for the Big 12 and A&M.

Ohio is one, same story with Big 10. Florida - the 3 big Florida schools, and a lot of other schools from different conferences recruit that place heavy.

Then you have places like Louisiana and Georgia. Really good players, and both schools have tremendous home field advantage recruiting instate players.

LSU might be better per capita, but Georgia has over 10 million people, about twice Louisiana's population. And most of the kids think Georgia first. Of course LSU dominates Louisiana even more in that regard, and a lot of schools recruit Georgia heavy, though it is hard to get a guy from there Georgia wants..

Look I'm sorry I brought it up. I thought this stuff was obvious and everyone knew this stuff.

But it is pretty darn hard for the Mississippi schools to recruit the kind of players they need to win a game in Baton Rouge, Tuscaloosa, or Auburn.

Why do you presume that Kelly wants to be on the west coast and specifically the northwest? He is from the northeast and almost his entire career has been spent in the northeast. He is 53 years old and only eight of those years has been spent outside of the northeast.

That's my take on the guy. Maybe he really doesn't care. The jobs he considers this year will be a good indicator though.

I could see him at Colorado, and UCLA if those jobs opened. Can't really picture him in Arizona though.

But my two cents.

That's my take on the guy. Maybe he really doesn't care. The jobs he considers this year will be a good indicator though.

I could see him at Colorado, and UCLA if those jobs opened. Can't really picture him in Arizona though.

But my two cents.

I am not trying to bust your chops. But, I think this goes to inferring something that is not there. This goes for Kelly and your thoughts about recruiting in the SEC.

I think back to how this entire thread started because CBS's Dennis Dodd talked to someone who thought Leach would be a good fit at MSU. Dodd then added to it by saying there is some thought that Leach could leave because he has reached a ceiling here. That entire line of thinking was based on what they think of Pullman and infer that Leach must feel the same way.

? What are you trying to say?

You don't think it makes a difference who your competition is?

Tell me something. If you had 4 Southern Cals in the Pac 10 North, you don't think Washington State would be a tough recruiting job?

Whereas if you happened to be in the Big 12 you might be a contender for the title, with exactly the same team that went 3-6 or 2-7 in conference play?

You can bang your head against the wall for decades and make no headway in the SEC because you can't recruit players as good as LSU and Georgia get, let alone Florida or Saban Alabama..

Dan Mullen is an excellent field coach and a very effective playcaller. But his record against the power teams in the SEC is awful. Have to look it up, but I don't think he has beaten Alabama the whole time he's been at MSU, and he is like 1-7 or something against LSU. And that is with the fact that neither Tennessee, Florida, or Georgia are MSU's permanent opponent.

There are only so many real recruiting hotbeds in this country for football.

California is one, and a huge number of PAC players come from there. Texas is another, and it does the same for the Big 12 and A&M.

Ohio is one, same story with Big 10. Florida - the 3 big Florida schools, and a lot of other schools from different conferences recruit that place heavy.

Then you have places like Louisiana and Georgia. Really good players, and both schools have tremendous home field advantage recruiting instate players.

LSU might be better per capita, but Georgia has over 10 million people, about twice Louisiana's population. And most of the kids think Georgia first. Of course LSU dominates Louisiana even more in that regard, and a lot of schools recruit Georgia heavy, though it is hard to get a guy from there Georgia wants..

Look I'm sorry I brought it up. I thought this stuff was obvious and everyone knew this stuff.

But it is pretty darn hard for the Mississippi schools to recruit the kind of players they need to win a game in Baton Rouge, Tuscaloosa, or Auburn.

Ole Miss recruiting class rankings...
2017 #39
2016 #7
2015 #21
2014 #19
2013 #7, 3 players ranked 5 stars in this class

You really wanna pursue this hard luck story for recruiting at Ole Miss???? Again, try Wyoming or UTEP or New Mexico...

As for playing tough teams...
2016 lost to Alabama 48-43, lost to LSU 38-21
2015 beat Alabama 43-37, beat LSU 38-17
2014 beat Alabama 23-17, lost to LSU 10-7
2013 lost to Alabama 25-0, beat LSU 27-24

You're doing much better against these top teams then what you'd let on with your tough recruiting gig...

Go sell your bullchit sob story somewhere else. You don't know WTF you're talking about.

Ole Miss recruiting class rankings...
2017 #39
2016 #7
2015 #21
2014 #19
2013 #7, 3 players ranked 5 stars in this class

You really wanna pursue this hard luck story for recruiting at Ole Miss???? Again, try Wyoming or UTEP or New Mexico...

As for playing tough teams...
2016 lost to Alabama 48-43, lost to LSU 38-21
2015 beat Alabama 43-37, beat LSU 38-17
2014 beat Alabama 23-17, lost to LSU 10-7
2013 lost to Alabama 25-0, beat LSU 27-24

You're doing much better against these top teams then what you'd let on with your tough recruiting gig...

Go sell your bullchit sob story somewhere else. You don't know WTF you're talking about.

Are you really that disconnected from current events?

Reactions: moondawgie
Are you really that disconnected from current events?

Like the hookers showing up at your coach's doorstep? No.

Are you so blind that you can't see your recruiting success and victories that pull the rug out from under your comments????

Ole Miss is not a tough recruiting gig. At all. Ever.

I could see Chip Kelly having a lot of success in the ACC. Pitt, Syracuse, Boston College could rise up quickly under Chip.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT