ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon favored

ElComanche

Hall Of Fame
Sep 28, 2007
For all who thought that the cougs were getting a lot of respect. Las Vegas s line is -2 1/2 pts favoring the Ducks.. The cougs opened as 1 pt favorites but the line has moved .

I'm trying to figure out what the gambling public sees in Oregon. I would have expected the line to move in the other direction.

Oregon has been favored due to many "experts" touting their talent base over two years of top recruiting.They also like Willie Taggert and the fact that the new D coordinator came from Colorado who tamed the cougs last year. Throw in Salavea 's knowledge and they think they have a winner

Oregon will be a dangerous game for us. We've all seen young QB's come in and play well when there is limited film on them and they just play instinctively. In Autzen, a somewhat confident team coming off a nice win over Cal, they had a nice comeback win against Nebraska so they won't freak out if we get a lead and they really do have a lot of talent. They have a lot of intangibles in their favor so it's a dangerous game.

It's also a game where Grinch and his defense should be able to fool Oregon into making mistakes. At every position, WSU matches up well against Oregon, even if I wouldn't say that we are better at every position. Overall continuity in our program means that players have had a lot of repetitions and know what to do instinctively rather than dealing with a lot of change in the past year.

I think Oregon pushes us in the first half and leads 14-7 at the end of the first quarter and they might even hold a 17-14 halftime lead. I think their young QB has 3 turnovers in the second half of the game that lead to 17 points and we end up winning 38-24.

Flat, I can't really disagree with your final score. 62 total is pretty close, and a 2 score margin makes sense. I'd have picked 35-27, but that is nit picking.

As with the SC game, turnovers will be important. We probably need to be even on TO's to win. If we are plus 1, then our predicted scores make sense. I expect to be at least plus 1 on TO's against a back up QB.

As for how close it is early, that depends upon when the turnovers occur, which probably depends upon how conservatively the Ducks decide to start the game with a backup QB.

I think WSU is going to win this game going away. Oregon will hit some homerun plays, but I can't see them sustaining any long drives. That will be their undoing, especially if we build a lead and can drop our defense into a "prevent" so as not to allow them to break any big runs.

WSU 38
UO 21

Oregon will be a dangerous game for us. We've all seen young QB's come in and play well when there is limited film on them and they just play instinctively. In Autzen, a somewhat confident team coming off a nice win over Cal, they had a nice comeback win against Nebraska so they won't freak out if we get a lead and they really do have a lot of talent. They have a lot of intangibles in their favor so it's a dangerous game.

It's also a game where Grinch and his defense should be able to fool Oregon into making mistakes. At every position, WSU matches up well against Oregon, even if I wouldn't say that we are better at every position. Overall continuity in our program means that players have had a lot of repetitions and know what to do instinctively rather than dealing with a lot of change in the past year.

I think Oregon pushes us in the first half and leads 14-7 at the end of the first quarter and they might even hold a 17-14 halftime lead. I think their young QB has 3 turnovers in the second half of the game that lead to 17 points and we end up winning 38-24.

Good analysis....one correction. The Ducks victory over Nebraska was not a comeback win, in fact they almost blew a 42-14 halftime lead. UO did come back vs. ASU but eventually lost that game. I have to think that a good start by the Cougars will be important but not imperative. Conversely, the Ducks, IMO, will need to start strong to win the game. They won't find it as easy as the ASU game to come back on us. It's a dangerous game for WSU if we don't play well overall.

Glad Cougar

We need to punch them in the mouth quickly, right out of the gates, in order to take the crowd out of this one. They'll be looking for revenge. And If we can take the "home field advantage" away and suck the life out of the crowd, I think we're golden.

Good analysis....one correction. The Ducks victory over Nebraska was not a comeback win, in fact they almost blew a 42-14 halftime lead. UO did come back vs. ASU but eventually lost that game. I have to think that a good start by the Cougars will be important but not imperative. Conversely, the Ducks, IMO, will need to start strong to win the game. They won't find it as easy as the ASU game to come back on us. It's a dangerous game for WSU if we don't play well overall.

Glad Cougar

I knew that there was a comeback and I was trying to give the ducks credit! Thanks for the correction.

I think WSU is going to win this game going away. Oregon will hit some homerun plays, but I can't see them sustaining any long drives. That will be their undoing, especially if we build a lead and can drop our defense into a "prevent" so as not to allow them to break any big runs.

WSU 38
UO 21
I'm thinking it will be a higher scoring game then that.
I'll go with
Cougs-45
Ducks -28

Reactions: Coug95man2
I will be happy with any kind of win. It is a dangerous game and the ducks are loaded with talent. They will be sky high and the crowd will be very loud.The cougs have an experince edge and i hope that carries the day.

There are a lot of good points being made for the talent level on Oregon's squad. However, I believe inexperience will be their undoing in this game and I agree with CP that we will take command of this game fairly early and not relent control.

*Side note: I work in a Husky rich environment and I can tell you now, when they are giving you props for how well the Cougs are playing this year, it means they are SCARED! Lol...... I proudly wave my flag at my desk, best conversation piece in the entire building I work at.

Has a top 15 team EVER been a dog to an unranked team?

I could almost justify it IF Hebert was starting, but with him on the sideline... this is baffling. If I were a better I'd put everything I had on the Cougs.

Has a top 15 team EVER been a dog to an unranked team?

I could almost justify it IF Hebert was starting, but with him on the sideline... this is baffling. If I were a better I'd put everything I had on the Cougs.

Not sure what this argument is based on since the lines I looked at had the Cougs 2 to 21/2 point favorites.

Not sure what this argument is based on since the lines I looked at had the Cougs 2 to 21/2 point favorites.
then they moved 3pts overnight, which isn't impossible, but that's be a ton of action.

But what this is referring to is the cougs opened at 2 or favorites and the line moved to ducks -1 by yesterday afternoon.

Coug -vandal is now right. The line in Las Vegas now favors the cougs from anywhere to -1 to -21/2 depending on where one wants to place their bets.There has been heavy action on this game. It will be interesting to see where all the late money goes. Sometimes big bettors lay early money to move the line, and then pounce on it when it moves to where they want to bet on it. Interesting

Off topic, but did you all see what happened in the Monday night game between KC and Washington? Chiefs were favored by 7, the game was tied until KC kicked a FG with 4 seconds left to go ahead 23-20. Seemingly, anyone who had the Skins beating the spread would have been overjoyed, I mean, what can happen in just 4 seconds? Last play of the game, Washington tries a series of laterals in a desperation attempt. They fumble it around, Justin Houston of KC picks it up and scores. Final: KC 29 WA 20....Chiefs cover the spread. Some guy reportedly lost $100 K on that last meaningless play. Glad I only bet with Milton Bradley money from my game of Monopoly.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: Fab5Coug
I go back many years to Houston and Warren Moon. They led something like 30-0 at the half. They lost 33-30 ,i believe and were favored by 1 1/2 pts,that cost me 10K .That is why gambling is called gambling.

Even though I'm very confident about the game this weekend, Oregon is better equipped than most programs to deal with a true freshman starting QB.

They run the ball 2/3 of the time anyway, so that will reduce the amount of high risk plays they have to subject him to unless we can jump on them early. They're also playing at home, and given that it's their first game with the backup QB and that we're facing this coach for the first time, we really have no idea what to expect.

If our defense allows a bunch of big runs and we get sloppy with the ball on offense, it's definitely a game we could lose.

Although the Duck offense was worse than expected and their defense was better than expected, the game went down almost exactly how I expected it to go. Solid first road win for the Cougs all things considered.

The final score was fine, However,i wanted the cougs to run for over 200 yards against the fat man s defensive line. The improvement in the cougs defensive line s play can be attributed to Coach Phelp s coaching. If there had not been a change in the defensive line coaches,the cougs would have two losses by now.

For the same reason that it is hard to count on 3 TO's, it is hard to handicap a win margin when that happens. I expected TO's with a back up QB, but 3 is more than I expected.

I would have gone for the under, but I'm VERY surprised at how low the total ended up.

The Cal line will be interesting. That is a game where the over might make sense.

Off topic, but did you all see what happened in the Monday night game between KC and Washington? Chiefs were favored by 7, the game was tied until KC kicked a FG with 4 seconds left to go ahead 23-20. Seemingly, anyone who had the Skins beating the spread would have been overjoyed, I mean, what can happen in just 4 seconds? Last play of the game, Washington tries a series of laterals in a desperation attempt. They fumble it around, Justin Houston of KC picks it up and scores. Final: KC 29 WA 20....Chiefs cover the spread. Some guy reportedly lost $100 K on that last meaningless play. Glad I only bet with Milton Bradley money from my game of Monopoly.

Glad Cougar

You need to watch Scott Van Pelts bad beats. They are full of plays like that every week.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT