ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon's 2020 schedule

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
Not sure if you saw this, but here are Oregon's first 2 games of 2020. Both of them are in Eugene:

Sept 5 vs. North Dakota State (16-0 in 2019 and winners of 7 of the past 8 FCS championships)

Sept 12 vs. THE Ohio State University

Ain't no SEC scheduling there....

Not sure if you saw this, but here are Oregon's first 2 games of 2020. Both of them are in Eugene:

Sept 5 vs. North Dakota State (16-0 in 2019 and winners of 7 of the past 8 FCS championships)

Yet winning those 2 and the other 11 would more than likely net them the same result as playing SJSU and NMSU.

BUT IF THEY LOSE either, their NC hopes are virtually extinguished because (east coast) reasons.

Reactions: BiggsCoug

Breaking in a new QB vs NDSU could be interesting.

Man you Do Love Yourself Some Ducks.

Odd a Coug fan would Also be a Duck fan. But hey you do you!

Nice of them to start 0-2.

Reactions: metprof
Yet winning those 2 and the other 11 would more than likely net them the same result as playing SJSU and NMSU.

BUT IF THEY LOSE either, their NC hopes are virtually extinguished because (east coast) reasons.

Not in the P12 conference. Gotta schedule big to even get a whiff of the playoff.

Even a PAC-12 team could come back from an Ohio state loss in week 2, if that’s their only loss.

When they drop one or both of those games, they will have traded in a trophy for a decade of "what if" message board fodder.

Both will be great games, and both are totally needless risks (for an ascendant program) which cost far more as losses than they gain as wins.

So it sounds like most of you guys are on board with playing 3 non conference cupcakes in Pullman every season? Maybe 4 if we move back to an 8 game conference schedule.

I understand the strategic logic behind that, but personally, I’ll hate it. Maybe I’d feel differently if I lived closer to Pullman, but I just can’t get excited about seeing us play 3 FCS teams.

This is another great example of why the college football playoff needs to be expanded. If you’re in a P5 conference, winning your conference championship should be an automatic ticket to the playoff, and frankly, so too should winning a conference division title if the playoff moves to 16 teams.

So it sounds like most of you guys are on board with playing 3 non conference cupcakes in Pullman every season? Maybe 4 if we move back to an 8 game conference schedule.

I understand the strategic logic behind that, but personally, I’ll hate it. Maybe I’d feel differently if I lived closer to Pullman, but I just can’t get excited about seeing us play 3 FCS teams.

This is another great example of why the college football playoff needs to be expanded. If you’re in a P5 conference, winning your conference championship should be an automatic ticket to the playoff, and frankly, so too should winning a conference division title if the playoff moves to 16 teams.
Nobody said 3 FCS games, especially since we could only count one of them. Some are calling for 3 lower-tier teams that would be virtually guaranteed wins.
I think one of those should be an annual event, although I’d rather play it in November. The other 2 should be teams that can at least make a game of it for a half, who can force our players to put in some effort, and who aren’t immediately dismissed when bowl selectors start looking at our schedule.

One FCS, one middle of the road group of 5, one upper tier group of five. 2017 was Montana State, Boise State and Nevada. That was perfect.

I believe to be bowl-eligible, a team can only schedule on FCS opponent per year.

Or rather, only one FCS victory is counted toward bowl eligibility. I suppose it would be possible to schedule 3 Big Sky teams - but only one win (assuming Rolo doesn't have the same issue Leach did beating FCS teams like Portland State and EWU) would count.

3 or 4 cupcakes (SEC model) is fine - New Mexico State, a tougher Mountain West school, maybe an AACC school like Tulane or Memphis - because New Orleans and Memphis are awesome and I don't care whether cool road trips are mocked as a reason for scheduling. Sure as hell better than Tucson or Corvallis.

What we don't need are body bag games like the old Ohio State or Michigan road trips with no return guarantee. If there's a need to flex P5 muscle, get home and homes with Vanderbilt, Indiana, Illinois, teams that are beatable year in and year out.

I understand scheduling some "cupcakes" but it would be fun every once in awhile that we were in one of those big national kickoff games. Just don't pull an Oregon and play the FCS champ AND tOSU back-to-back.

I understand scheduling some "cupcakes" but it would be fun every once in awhile that we were in one of those big national kickoff games. Just don't pull an Oregon and play the FCS champ AND tOSU back-to-back.

While certainly not ideal, Oregon could lose both of those games and still go on to win the P12 title. That should be enough to qualify for the playoff, but the NCAA is stupid. They’ve got 5 power 5 conferences and only a 4 team playoff. You have to try hard to be that stupid. The old BCS format was almost perfect. 8 team playoff. All 5 conference winners. One G5 winner. 2 at large bids. Done.

While certainly not ideal, Oregon could lose both of those games and still go on to win the P12 title. That should be enough to qualify for the playoff, but the NCAA is stupid. They’ve got 5 power 5 conferences and only a 4 team playoff. You have to try hard to be that stupid. The old BCS format was almost perfect. 8 team playoff. All 5 conference winners. One G5 winner. 2 at large bids. Done.
That may be the first time I’ve ever seen the words “BCS” and “perfect” appear in the same sentence.

The big national opponent can be in a bowl.

The big national opponent can be in a bowl.

Again, I understand the business logic behind cupcake scheduling, but i attend most of the games, and the thought of playing 3 cupcakes in Pullman in September would bum me out. Those are the peak good weather games, and the occasional Boise State or Houston or BYU is fun. Even if we lose occasionally.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT