ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Goats vs Sea Lions

Hadn't heard about the goat thing, but the sea lion problem is utterly ridiculous. Idiotic tree huggers protecting a species that doesn't need protecting anymore, and also protecting a stupid pod of killer whales who refuse to eat the sea lions, and instead also feast on fish. Brilliant plan, let's tip the food chain scale to protect multiple predators of one species who's numbers are becoming frighteningly low while the predators themselves are thriving.

Meanwhile, Wtf are the goats doing, licking too much pee off of rocks?
Wish I had the pictures of the goats. But they lack salt in their diet. Badly. So they will go wherever there is salt... including where you take a leak.
When it happens to us, normally it's fairly close to camp but not too close. Who takes a leak in camp?!?!? In the Wallowa/Eagles/Elkhorn Mountain ranges, the number of people isn't quite the same as what others here are linking to. They are still pretty wild. And to the others, I wasn't trying to suggest you go and try to pet one. Sorry if it came across that way.

The goats aren't indigenous to the Olympic peninsula, but really... they kinda are. They were brought in in the 1920's. So they've been there for 100 years, almost.

To the Sea Lions and the dam issue. First off, to me, it's always about balance. In life, I don't look at anything like a pendulum. I don't want that roller coast ride in my life. I vote that way, I live that way. I strive for the middle. And with this issue, it seems we've reached a "middle point". Don't off every Sea Lion but lets recognize they are affecting the salmon in a very negative way. lol. Lets off a few of them!

Also, I recognize that this is more geared to the salmon and predators and such... but the dams usefulness has been slightly touched on. So I do want to interject this, regarding their value. I was crossing the Columbia at the Hanford Reach, on highway 24 this weekend. And the river was incredibly high. Overflowing the banks. I'd been driving through there about 3 weeks prior and it was much higher. Using some of the engineered flood areas. Anyways, where I'm going with this is, dam's aren't just about electricity. They aren't just about boat navigation. If we don't control the water flow on the river, if it was "free flowing", Portland (it being the bigger city but obviously others) would have SEVERE flooding issues every spring. Millions of lives would be affected. The Oregon economy would be severely affected due to just the ports in the area, regardless of anything going upstream. So I'd like to place "flood control" as a MAJOR reason for having dams. Also, the "reclamation act", which provides irrigation for basically the entire central and southern part of the state would be gone, decimating our state and our economy. Just food for thought.

Last edited:
Before the dam there was Celilo Falls, and the fish pooled there. No sea lion problem back then, and the pickings were just as easy.

External pressures have caused this problem, and the Bonneville dam issue is the result of, not the cause of Sea Lions being where they are.
I have several old pictures of the Fish Festival at Celilo Falls, prior to the dams going in, somewhere. My grandfather was very close to that tribe. I have pictures of them fishing there. Grandma holding some of the babies, talking with the members, etc. Incredible people with an incredible history. That whole area is rich in story. I'll see if I can find some and post them. They're just cool to see. Have a copy of a picture of "The Last Chief" of Celilo with is wife and grandkid.

Don't underestimate what those fish had to go through to get up that falls area, FingerDisco. Jumping, not making it, smashing on the rocks, etc. And from the beginning of time, there were Native Americans there trying to catch them, regardless of other animals. Hundreds of Native Americans catching as much as they could to help their tribe. Tribes from 3 states would travel to that area, strictly for the fish and the trading that would occur there.

At least with the concrete ladders, it's a pretty even climb. I'll honestly say, I DO think the dam and the ladder are easier than what those falls were like. ESPECIALLY in the fall, when the water flow was so low and the rock outcrops were exposed, funneling them into 1 falls area. Or the rock bridge at Cascade Locks?!?! Damn (no pun intended). Do the dams cause other issues? Sure. Are there more dams that Celilo Falls or Old Cascade Locks? Sure. But just sayin'. I see exactly what BC&G is saying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT