ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mariners

I was at last Tuesday's game, two rows back from Mitch Haniger when he commited an error that opened the flood gates (not that Castillo pitched well anyway). The fans around us were unmerciless towards him for the rest of the game. Glad I wasted ~$300 for three tickets, souvenirs, beer and food. On the plus side, at least I didn't getting punched by a homeless urban wacko while walking back to our hotel.

Last season after 11 games, the Mariners were 4-7 and not looking very good. It's still early

Reactions: crimsonstone
Me watching the Ms this year I was looking for the Japanese grounds crew guys saying they were shitty but couldn’t find it 🤷
happy baseball GIF

Does this surprise anyone? The ownership is not committed to winning. They are committed to making money....been that way for years.

They will be mediocre this year. Fire their manager. (Who will go on to have success with another club.) Fire the GM (maybe next year) and tell fans they are building this thing the "right way."

And Jarred Kelenic is now batting .500 with Atlanta.

Does this surprise anyone? The ownership is not committed to winning. They are committed to making money....been that way for years.

They will be mediocre this year. Fire their manager. (Who will go on to have success with another club.) Fire the GM (maybe next year) and tell fans they are building this thing the "right way."

And Jarred Kelenic is now batting .500 with Atlanta.
Ugh 🤦🏼. I mean the cooler kick was a little ridiculous but at least he cared! Give me nine of those guys in the lineup every night.

I thought they completely rebuilt the farm system and were poised to have long term success. They went from like last to first in a few years with their minor league prospects through the draft and selling for prospects at the deadline. Where are all the hitters at? wtf???

Ugh 🤦🏼. I mean the cooler kick was a little ridiculous but at least he cared! Give me nine of those guys in the lineup every night.

I thought they completely rebuilt the farm system and were poised to have long term success. They went from like last to first in a few years with their minor league prospects through the draft and selling for prospects at the deadline. Where are all the hitters at? wtf???
They liquidated all the farm team talent a couple of years ago, like they do every couple of years.

Who was the last contributor to play for the Ms who came up through their system?

Kelenic is/was young and they rushed him up and put unnecessary pressure on him. He's now relaxed, being a guy with the rest of the crew that is good, and is thriving in that environment is my read. No pressure to "be the guy" and just a guy on a pretty good team.

Kelenic is/was young and they rushed him up and put unnecessary pressure on him. He's now relaxed, being a guy with the rest of the crew that is good, and is thriving in that environment is my read. No pressure to "be the guy" and just a guy on a pretty good team.
Just like Dustin Ackley, who should have been a modern day wade Boggs. They ruin everyone, they probably will F up Julio too. If they don’t get some bats around him he will forget what a good pitch looks like.

Just like Dustin Ackley, who should have been a modern day wade Boggs. They ruin everyone, they probably will F up Julio too. If they don’t get some bats around him he will forget what a good pitch looks like.
Don't worry, he'll find another team to blossom and become and all-star on.

I'm actually kind of worried inre JRod and consistency. Last season his BA was pretty crappy for long stretches, then he went on an extended super hot streak that sort of glossed over that. At least Felix was consistently good when the team was losing (gotta love all those 0-2 loses throughout his prime years). Got a bad feeling his contract is going to turn into another boat anchor...

I'm actually kind of worried inre JRod and consistency. Last season his BA was pretty crappy for long stretches, then he went on an extended super hot streak that sort of glossed over that. At least Felix was consistently good when the team was losing (gotta love all those 0-2 loses throughout his prime years). Got a bad feeling his contract is going to turn into another boat anchor...
The Mariners have been at their best when they are “controlling the strike zone”. JRod got dicked his rookie year when he was getting rung up by ump show guys on terrible pitches left and right, then he started to get some respect.

Im not sure what’s going on this year I haven’t watched much but every day in the team box score I see 8 strikeouts, 1 walk. 13 strikeouts 2 walks. This group of hitters needs at least a 1:2 walk to strikeout ratio or they will never score enough. I thought that was a focus of dipoto in acquiring players and managed on down with their hitting approach, but they certainly arent hacking it right now.

Second place, 1 game back, tied in the loss column with TX, 3 games on deck @CR over the next 24 hrs

Best game of the season so far with Castillo looking like himself and the offense coming alive. After the bad start, the M's are now in a first place tie with Texas. It was also a brilliant move to have Hancock start the second game tomorrow. With Castillo pitching, it saved the bullpen. With Kirby pitching the first game tomorrow, hopefully he can go deep as well saving the bullpen for the second game.

Finally above 54% and in First place!

Beat both World Series 2023 teams.

Are the Mariners finally on their way?
No. The pitching has been phenomenal no doubt but there’s no way that lasts at that level. Every night in the box score it’s 1-10 with RISP or 15 strikeouts to 0 walks like tonight. They’ve got guys all over their lineup that can’t have a decent at bat. Once a couple of starters in a row have rough outings and they have to lean on their bullpen a bunch, they are gonna end up with a 9 out of 10 type slide.

Sorry to be a Debbie downer but this ain’t sustainable.

No. The pitching has been phenomenal no doubt but there’s no way that lasts at that level. Every night in the box score it’s 1-10 with RISP or 15 strikeouts to 0 walks like tonight. They’ve got guys all over their lineup that can’t have a decent at bat. Once a couple of starters in a row have rough outings and they have to lean on their bullpen a bunch, they are gonna end up with a 9 out of 10 type slide.

Yeah, but arguably, two if their best relievers haven’t pitched an inning yet this year.

Yeah, but arguably, two if their best relievers haven’t pitched an inning yet this year.
Fair. I don’t see it I hope I’m wrong. It feels to me like the seasons where they were above .500 and within a game or two of the division with a -75 run differential. It was only a matter of time before the trend reversed. Its baseball, at some point you’ve got to score some runs.

extra inning games are gonna kill them. When you can’t play small ball and strike out as much as they do you are gonna get beat every time with the new rules.

In hindsight I think they made a huge mistake with the Castillo deal. It was fun to get to the playoffs but they are in no mans land again as far as I can see and these pitchers (who stay) are going to get felixed. No run support and .500 W/L records w no postseason.

The M's will not lose 9 out of 10 or even close.

With the abundance of pitching, if they are in it, they could make a hell of a splash at the deadline.
The M's pitching is too good for it to go on long losing streaks. The M's have perhaps the best starting pitchers in MLB, top 3-4 at the very least, but they also have a top 5 bullpen. Even with the horrific hitting to start the season, they still went 6-10. It also helps that the A's and Angel's are in the division, and although I do expect Houston to right itself, they are digging themselves a big hole that they may not catch up.

Reactions: kougkurt
The M's pitching is too good for it to go on long losing streaks. The M's have perhaps the best starting pitchers in MLB, top 3-4 at the very least, but they also have a top 5 bullpen. Even with the horrific hitting to start the season, they still went 6-10. It also helps that the A's and Angel's are in the division, and although I do expect Houston to right itself, they are digging themselves a big hole that they may not catch up.
Again I hope you are right. I’m an Ms fan. I Want to see them get to the WS. My thinking is that it will take a couple of rough starting outings for the bullpen to get taxed over the course of a couple of weeks. The style of baseball they play will lead to extra inning games which they will lose most of because only 20% of their hitters can put together a quality at bat. All of a sudden. The games you were winning 3-2 or 2-1 you are now losing 5-2, 4-3 because your bullpen is overworked.

I have almost an impeccable record of reverse jinxing as Patrol does so just go with it…

Again I hope you are right. I’m an Ms fan. I Want to see them get to the WS. My thinking is that it will take a couple of rough starting outings for the bullpen to get taxed over the course of a couple of weeks. The style of baseball they play will lead to extra inning games which they will lose most of because only 20% of their hitters can put together a quality at bat. All of a sudden. The games you were winning 3-2 or 2-1 you are now losing 5-2, 4-3 because your bullpen is overworked.

I have almost an impeccable record of reverse jinxing as Patrol does so just go with it…
Wait - what? They are now in 1st place? Guess I should pay more attention. Or wait for the June swoon. :)

The M's are coming up to a tough stretch where they don't have may days off. So, anything can happen. But, I also assume that the other teams will have the same issues of bad pitching, hitting, etc., and go through losing streaks of their own. It still amazes me that Houston is 9-19 right now.

And one of them may NOT pitch an inning this year. Broadcast said yesterday that they have shut down Brash totally because every time he tries to start up his throwing he experiences elbow pain. that is NOT a good sign. I think it pretty likely that he is looking at some surgery this year. Hope not, of course.

And one of them may NOT pitch an inning this year. Broadcast said yesterday that they have shut down Brash totally because every time he tries to start up his throwing he experiences elbow pain. that is NOT a good sign. I think it pretty likely that he is looking at some surgery this year. Hope not, of course.
What is interesting about Brash, usually in that situation, the pitcher's velocity is down while they are throwing. Brash was still throwing 98-99, but with pain. Whatever it is, it does not look good. Hopefully, Santos will be on track to join the team some time in June. Plus, Woo has done well in his two starts in Tacoma. In a few weeks, he should regain his spot in the starting rotation.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT