ADVERTISEMENT

Our program has come a long way...

M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island
We're earning respect each and every day. Can't believe we were 9-4 last year.

When you go over to the Oregon Boards, the Stanford Boards, the Cal Boards and the Colorado Boards....all of them want to fire their head coach.

We've been there. Today wasn't our best game, (windy conditions, but defense played well), however good teams just win.

We have better players.

When you look back, you realize that our program has come a long way.

We're earning respect each and every day. Can't believe we were 9-4 last year.

When you go over to the Oregon Boards, the Stanford Boards, the Cal Boards and the Colorado Boards....all of them want to fire their head coach.

We've been there. Today wasn't our best game, (windy, but defense played well), but good teams just win. When you look back, you realize that our program has come a long ways.
Claeys is an improvement over Grinch. What he (and Phelps) has done with this defense with a patchwork defensive line is simply amazing. Only Utah, Cal, the uw and Stanford have currently given up fewer points this season. At kickoff with OSU, Stanford had given up 8 fewer points than the Cougs. OSU has already scored 7. Any more points and only three teams will have given up fewer points. That is simply a great job.

Claeys is an improvement over Grinch. What he (and Phelps) has done with this defense with a patchwork defensive line is simply amazing. Only Utah, Cal, the uw and Stanford have currently given up fewer points this season. At kickoff with OSU, Stanford had given up 8 fewer points than the Cougs. OSU has already scored 7. Any more points and only three teams will have given up fewer points. That is simply a great job.
Actually, Arizona, cal, UW, and Stanford. But the point remains.

And on the other side, only Utah has scored more in conference games.

Every position has been upgraded. What's interesting is that Leach didn't toot his horn during pre-season, (and he never would either).

Actually, Arizona, cal, UW, and Stanford. But the point remains.

And on the other side, only Utah has scored more in conference games.
I meant overall, not just conference games.

I expected Leach to get WSU to unprecedented heights but the way he is doing it is truly shocking. The defenses have been a huge part and now the offense is controlling the ball too. The rope a dope strategy is time tested (Sabah is notorious for this) but watching a passing team do it is remarkable. TOP is overrated but snaps vs snaps is not. The Cougs are gassing teams bad and then going for the throat, just like Saban always has. It's beautiful.

I like the QB needless to say. Somehow people thought that i was blowing smoke over poor QB play and not having a O line coach The difference is there for everyone to see and now marvel at.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
I like the QB needless to say. Somehow people thought that i was blowing smoke over poor QB play and not having a O line coach The difference is there for everyone to see and now marvel at.
I still think you were wrong. Miller is a better OL coach. I will give you that. But, Falk's biggest problem last season was the receiving corp was not very good. This current set of receivers are the best we have seen since Leach has been in Pullman and it is not close.

Minshew is having the best single season in WSU history; better than Falk, Brink, Kegel, Gesser, Bledsoe, Rosenbaugh, Rypien, Thompson.

All it took was the 2nd best QB performance in school history to support your anti Falk narrative. Good job.

Minshew is having the best single season in WSU history; better than Falk, Brink, Kegel, Gesser, Bledsoe, Rosenbaugh, Rypien, Thompson.

All it took was the 2nd best QB performance in school history to support your anti Falk narrative. Good job.

Lets see how these next 3-5 games play out. Still time for it to be the best QB season in school history.

What what what? Is it 1st best or 2nd best? I'm so confused! Be clear please. :eek:

Yes the program has come a long way.
Even when your star QB doesn't have his best day, the team still won by a huge margin on the road in conference play.

That tells me that the future is good as well.
Next year GM is gone but the d-line will be actually better. WRs are mostly back, O-line is mostly back, and starting 2 RBs are back.
Sure the QB is an important position and that needs to be worked out but this team is not sinking to 3 and 9. They will go bowling again next year. So again, the program has come a long way.

Leaf's omission is noted. THAT was the best single season for a WSU QB. Freak'ish and he was usually sitting most of the 4th quarters.

It boggles my mind to think what Leaf could have done with Leach's Air Raid. Dude could take off and run when needed -ask Peter Sirmon about getting knocked silly by a freight train.

But Minshew's 2018 is one for the ages considering the circumstances surrounding the program upon his arrival.

The thing that impressed me about the team yesterday is how aggressively our players turned the ball upfield when they had the chance. When we had the ball, it was a 4-6 yard gain on first down. When it was CU's turn, it was 2-3 yards. Of course, some credit does go to our defense for making tackles almost every time they had the chance.

Our team has definitely come a long way.

Leaf's omission is noted. THAT was the best single season for a WSU QB. Freak'ish and he was usually sitting most of the 4th quarters.

It boggles my mind to think what Leaf could have done with Leach's Air Raid. Dude could take off and run when needed -ask Peter Sirmon about getting knocked silly by a freight train.

But Minshew's 2018 is one for the ages considering the circumstances surrounding the program upon his arrival.
I think another thing about Leaf's great season and Minshew's great season is that both had an outstanding receiving corps. Probably the two best in WSU history. It is one of the reasons why I think next year is going to be a great year as well, as only Sweet graduates.

I believe the addition of Spurrier Jr. and moving Mele are directly contributing to the improved play (and aggressiveness) of receivers and RBs. When was the last time you thought about Johnson-Mack or TMJ? I had to look up the 2017 roster to remember their names.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT