ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Chun, Year 2 and beyond

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
A lot of die-hards here who think Mr. Chun is doing a good/great job in his first go-round as WSU's Director of Athletics.

Just based on their post count and how long they've been following the Cougars, I'll gladly defer to their expertise.

We've seen plenty of inferences (maybe moreso at Brand X and Brand Y than here) that CML personally places a high priority on getting the new IPF in place.

Going forward, how much responsibility is on Mr. Chun to get a first-class Indoor Practice Facility built in a timely manner and without cutting any corners as nobody seems to want the Bubble, Version 2.0?

I think once ground is broken on the baseball clubhouse the clock begins on the IPF I would like ground to break on that no longer than 2 years after the clubhouse starts.

It will help lots of sports, soccer, track, and not just football.

The IPF funding should be in place two years after babeball clubhouse and we should be breaking ground on it.

A lot of die-hards here who think Mr. Chun is doing a good/great job in his first go-round as WSU's Director of Athletics.

Just based on their post count and how long they've been following the Cougars, I'll gladly defer to their expertise.

We've seen plenty of inferences (maybe moreso at Brand X and Brand Y than here) that CML personally places a high priority on getting the new IPF in place.

Going forward, how much responsibility is on Mr. Chun to get a first-class Indoor Practice Facility built in a timely manner and without cutting any corners as nobody seems to want the Bubble, Version 2.0?

I'll bite (what a shocker).

Here are my Year 2 and beyond expectations:
End of Year 2:
  • Field and/or stadium naming rights deal done. Both for sure by end of Year 3. Colorado State as benchmark:
CSU:
Field, 20M over 30 years (PV 9.2M at 6% discount rate)
Stadium, 37.7M over 15 years (PV 24.4M at 6%)
Party Deck, (think Cougville?), 4.3M apparently all cash from New Belgium (think Busch Light?)
  • Have 100% of funds secured for IPF (feel free to use the stadium deal $ to help with this)
  • Meet deficit reduction schedule as approved by Regents. Should be ahead of schedule with all this increased donation activity I keep hearing about. Continue to meet/exceed every year.
  • Baseball clubhouse completed, ALL donations/pledges secured to cover $3.5 million debt (actually early in Year 3 per announced schedule)
End of Year 3:
  • Ground breaking on IPF
  • Campaign started for End zone 2nd deck to bring us to 40,000 seats
  • New, exciting "wow" hire BB coach in place
End of Year 4:
  • End zone funds secured, construction started or at least scheduled
I'd say this is about what should be expected. Comments are welcome - especially if they are in agreement. If not, I expect competing list otherwise don't bother. And save the one-line insults and personal attacks, please.

I'll bite (what a shocker).

Here are my Year 2 and beyond expectations:
End of Year 2:
  • Field and/or stadium naming rights deal done. Both for sure by end of Year 3. Colorado State as benchmark:
CSU:
Field, 20M over 30 years (PV 9.2M at 6% discount rate)
Stadium, 37.7M over 15 years (PV 24.4M at 6%)
Party Deck, (think Cougville?), 4.3M apparently all cash from New Belgium (think Busch Light?)
  • Have 100% of funds secured for IPF (feel free to use the stadium deal $ to help with this)
  • Meet deficit reduction schedule as approved by Regents. Should be ahead of schedule with all this increased donation activity I keep hearing about. Continue to meet/exceed every year.
  • Baseball clubhouse completed, ALL donations/pledges secured to cover $3.5 million debt (actually early in Year 3 per announced schedule)
End of Year 3:
  • Ground breaking on IPF
  • Campaign started for End zone 2nd deck to bring us to 40,000 seats
  • New, exciting "wow" hire BB coach in place
End of Year 4:
  • End zone funds secured, construction started or at least scheduled
I'd say this is about what should be expected. Comments are welcome - especially if they are in agreement. If not, I expect competing list otherwise don't bother. And save the one-line insults and personal attacks, please.
Endzone?

Are you going to start with the "we need more 50 yard line seats and luxury boxes" refrain?

Studies have shown that end zone seating is the hardest to sell and the least profitable.

More luxury boxes and premium seating could lead to more $$$$ down the line while attracting additional corporate support for WSU's football program.

The IPF funding should be in place two years after babeball clubhouse and we should be breaking ground on it.

I think you meant the more traditional baseball, although babeball does sound fun.

article-2744209-20EFC14E00000578-259_634x446.jpg

Reactions: Cougatron

F the IPF I’m grading him solely on his ability to get a stadium built in Ellensburgh

Studies have shown that end zone seating is the hardest to sell and the least profitable.

Least profitable? Lowest ticket price for sure. I would argue that they could be profitable (net) at Martin because the bowl expansion would cost much, much, much less that any expansion involving better seats. Let's just estimate $10 million to build it, $1 million a year in ticket sales for the approximate 5,000 seats. That pencils out.

Nah. Go for the highly desirable end zone seating!

Yes you are right as always. Let's continue forever to have - by far - the smallest stadium in the Power 5. Let's ignore the fact that the existing end zone seats are always more populated than the reserved seats (Oh they may be sold, but there aren't butts in them most games). Let's not even consider that we could leverage additional seats into more premium dollars by taking section 27 (40-50 yard line) away from the ungrateful students and giving them lower level and/or bowl seats in trade.

Colorado State's new stadium holds 41K, 10K for students. Student seating is contained entirely in the lower sections, wrapping around well into the bowl. What a concept.

Or hell let's get rid of the bowl seating entirely. Get capacity down closer to 30,000. Nice round number. Teams like Nebraska (See link to pic below) don't have any freaking end zone seats. And they couldn't fill them if they did have them.

https://seatgeek.com/venues/memoria...ing-chart/nebraska-cornhuskers-football-32175

One other thing, only semi-related. I looked at and linked WSU's 2016 and 2019 seating/ticket charts. The changes in prices - particularly for the luxury seats. Oh my. Not saying it is bad (assuming fans pony up), just noting the increase. Oh my.

http://www.cougarathleticfund.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/2019-Martin-Stadium-Map.jpg

https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/201/2016/03/2016-FB-seating-map.png

Least profitable? Lowest ticket price for sure. I would argue that they could be profitable (net) at Martin because the bowl expansion would cost much, much, much less that any expansion involving better seats. Let's just estimate $10 million to build it, $1 million a year in ticket sales for the approximate 5,000 seats. That pencils out.

Yes you are right as always. Let's continue forever to have - by far - the smallest stadium in the Power 5. Let's ignore the fact that the existing end zone seats are always more populated than the reserved seats (Oh they may be sold, but there aren't butts in them most games). Let's not even consider that we could leverage additional seats into more premium dollars by taking section 27 (40-50 yard line) away from the ungrateful students and giving them lower level and/or bowl seats in trade.

Colorado State's new stadium holds 41K, 10K for students. Student seating is contained entirely in the lower sections, wrapping around well into the bowl. What a concept.

Or hell let's get rid of the bowl seating entirely. Get capacity down closer to 30,000. Nice round number. Teams like Nebraska (See link to pic below) don't have any freaking end zone seats. And they couldn't fill them if they did have them.

https://seatgeek.com/venues/memoria...ing-chart/nebraska-cornhuskers-football-32175

One other thing, only semi-related. I looked at and linked WSU's 2016 and 2019 seating/ticket charts. The changes in prices - particularly for the luxury seats. Oh my. Not saying it is bad (assuming fans pony up), just noting the increase. Oh my.

http://www.cougarathleticfund.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/2019-Martin-Stadium-Map.jpg

https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/201/2016/03/2016-FB-seating-map.png

Do you actually attend games?

And why does it matter if the seats are “populated”? If someone buys tickets and decides not to attend, the Athletic Department still has the money.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
Do you actually attend games?

And why does it matter if the seats are “populated”? If someone buys tickets and decides not to attend, the Athletic Department still has the money.

These days I go to about 1 game a year. I had season tickets for 20 years, dropped them during the CPW years. Just couldn't take it any more.

I think butts in seats, preferably ones with vocal cords, is critically important for home field advantage, and helps win games. You don't think it matters?

I was hoping for a comment on the Nebraska stadium layout......

Let's continue forever to have - by far - the smallest stadium in the Power 5.

• Wake Forest — 31,500
  • WSU — 32,248
  • Duke — 40,000
  • Vanderbilt — 40,350
  • Boston College — 44,500
The Cougs are definitely among elite academy company with those programs, so no shame in that (not quite sure what Loyal seems to be mocking).

As far as capacity, I think Biggs pointed to 60k as a target. That would definitely make for the No. 1 home-field advantage in the conference.

These days I go to about 1 game a year. I had season tickets for 20 years, dropped them during the CPW years. Just couldn't take it any more.

I think butts in seats, preferably ones with vocal cords, is critically important for home field advantage, and helps win games. You don't think it matters?

So you don’t attend games. Good to know.

• Wake Forest — 31,500
  • WSU — 32,248
  • Duke — 40,000
  • Vanderbilt — 40,350
  • Boston College — 44,500
The Cougs are definitely among elite academy company with those programs, so no shame in that (not quite sure what Loyal seems to be mocking).

As far as capacity, I think Biggs pointed to 60k as a target. That would definitely make for the No. 1 home-field advantage in the conference.

Thanks for correcting me Pete. Yes we are the next to smallest stadium in the Power 5, just ahead of national power Wake Forest. And per your numbers, getting capacity up to 40,000 (another nice round number) would at least put us in the company of a few programs.

So you don’t attend games. Good to know.

I attend games. Just not that many anymore. But more than zero Maybe me and 5,000 other fans would go to all of them if we could buy cheaper tickets in the new end zone second deck. . Athletics gets my money in other ways. And you just posted that butts in seats don't matter, so WTF is your point?

The wisdom of gibby:

So you dropped your season tickets during CPW's rebuild and now you make it to only one football game each fall despite the chance to see a rising West Coast powerhouse led by a future Hall of Famer?

And, has you explained the other day, you haven't been to even one WSU home basketball game since CEK took over five years ago.

Hope that passion for the Cougs returns soon.

So you dropped your season tickets during CPW's rebuild and now you make it to only one football game each fall despite the chance to see a rising West Coast powerhouse led by a future Hall of Famer?

And, has you explained the other day, you haven't been to even one WSU home basketball game since CEK took over five years ago.

Hope that passion for the Cougs returns soon.

Well, I also moved 300 miles farther away and lost my fellow ticket holder (don't go there please). So it is logistics as much as anything. While I admire those crazies that do the 6-700 mile round trip 6-7 times a year, I'm not that passionate. I did make it to Gameday though. Couldn't miss that.

Edit - and that was pretty funny. rebuild. Snort.

Still waiting for an exhaustive set of expectations from others on Chun's Year 2 and beyond, which I believe was the topic of this thread. I guess everyone agrees 100% with mine, so no further comments are needed? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I agree with Loyal to a degree on this one. Imagine a stadium sold out at high prices but only 5-10k showed up every game. Leather recliners in the players lounge are nice and part of the equation but Recruiting becomes problematic without a good game day atmosphere. If you can get the ROI on end zone seats you can fill with loud, passionate fans, do it. You’ll probably be able to raise the price of the better seats as well based on attracting better talent and more winning with a better game day environment and home field advantage.

I also like the idea of putting the students in the lower section across the entire north section of the stadium (close to the action and pretty good seats) and in both end zones and selling the upper level student seats for big $$.

Thanks for correcting me Pete. Yes we are the next to smallest stadium in the Power 5, just ahead of national power Wake Forest. And per your numbers, getting capacity up to 40,000 (another nice round number) would at least put us in the company of a few programs.

I attend games. Just not that many anymore. But more than zero Maybe me and 5,000 other fans would go to all of them if we could buy cheaper tickets in the new end zone second deck. . Athletics gets my money in other ways. And you just posted that butts in seats don't matter, so WTF is your point?

The wisdom of gibby:

The wisdom of Loyal- spend millions of dollars so he can buy a low cost ticket.

Reactions: walzuu
The wisdom of Loyal- spend millions of dollars so he can buy a low cost ticket.

Oh F-you gibby. You are such a POS. Your biggest contribution to this board is cherry picking my every post and distorting them by making a one-liner snide remarks and/or personal insults. You must be proud of yourself. You are almost reaching stalker-like status.

For once why don't YOU throw out something worth opining about? You think a permanent capacity of 33,900 is just fine? You don't think $10 million to add 5,000 seats that will likely be filled every game is worth at least exploring? Don't agree with the numbers? Fine, what's your analysis, Mr. finance/accounting degree? Think a cantilevered, $80 million student side second deck is the answer? Great - throw out some discussion points. Or just keep being a smart-ass little POS. That seems to fit you best.

Last edited:
I agree with Loyal to a degree on this one. Imagine a stadium sold out at high prices but only 5-10k showed up every game. Leather recliners in the players lounge are nice and part of the equation but Recruiting becomes problematic without a good game day atmosphere. If you can get the ROI on end zone seats you can fill with loud, passionate fans, do it. You’ll probably be able to raise the price of the better seats as well based on attracting better talent and more winning with a better game day environment and home field advantage.

I also like the idea of putting the students in the lower section across the entire north section of the stadium (close to the action and pretty good seats) and in both end zones and selling the upper level student seats for big $$.

The concept of moving some/most of the students, while sure to inflame them, is certainly worth looking into. I doubt that many, if any, other Power 5 programs have 50 yard line seats allocated to students.

One of the pieces to WSU's deficit-reduction plan is getting more money out of the students via increased student fee allocations to Athletics - something that would affect EVERY student. So rearranging (not reducing) some of their seats to allow for more revenue would be an alternate approach to doing just that. I'd like to see Athletics throw it out there to them. "Hey students, we need more help from you. Option 1, get more fees from the entire student body. Option 2, rearrange some of your seats. Comments please?"

Oh F-you gibby. You are such a POS. Your biggest contribution to this board is cherry picking my every post and distorting them by making a one-liner snide remarks and/or personal insults. You must be proud of yourself. You are almost reaching stalker-like status.

For once why don't YOU throw out something worth opining about? You think a permanent capacity of 33,900 is just fine? You don't think $10 million to add 5,000 seats that will likely be filled every game is worth at least exploring? Don't agree with the numbers? Fine, what's your analysis, Mr. finance/accounting degree? Think a cantilevered, $80 million student side second deck is the answer? Great - throw out some discussion points. Or just keep being a smart-ass little POS. That seems to fit you best.

You first. You're just making up numbers with your 5,000 seat addition for $10 million.

You first. You're just making up numbers with your 5,000 seat addition for $10 million.

Um, I have already gone first multiple times in this thread. Feel free to throw out your own figures on the cost and revenue potential of a second deck in the endzone. Remember, footings have already been poured (Thanks to Jim Sterk).

Um, I have already gone first multiple times in this thread. Feel free to throw out your own figures on the cost and revenue potential of a second deck in the endzone. Remember, footings have already been poured (Thanks to Jim Sterk).

It's pointless to pursue additional seating until the IPF is complete and the Pac-12 financial outlook improves. Our cheap ass fans guarantee the slow approach.

You've spewed nonsense several times in this thread. Topped with wanting WSU to spend millions of dollars to entice you buy a cheap seat to attend what, one more game per year? Makes more sense to just open Beasley and televise the game on the jumbotron for the cheap skates.

The truth of the matter is that demand is not high enough to invest millions of dollars in more seats, and those dollars are better spent on the IPF. That concept doesn't take a five paragraph essay to explain.

Reactions: walzuu and YakiCoug
You've spewed nonsense several times in this thread. Topped with wanting WSU to spend millions of dollars to entice you buy a cheap seat to attend what, one more game per year? Makes more sense to just open Beasley and televise the game on the jumbotron for the cheap skates.

The truth of the matter is that demand is not high enough to invest millions of dollars in more seats, and those dollars are better spent on the IPF. That concept doesn't take a five paragraph essay to explain.

The east endzone seating that Moos often talked about included more suites, but those would be above GA seating. In all, he envisioned an additional 10,000 seats from such a structure, but he said it would not be pursued until there was a solid history of the current new seats selling out and likely not until after an IPF was completed. I see no reason why this approach would change, Loyal's desire for cheap seats notwithstanding.

It's pointless to pursue additional seating until the IPF is complete and the Pac-12 financial outlook improves.

Agree 100% on a FIRST CLASS Indoor Practice Facility.

Who knows when the Pac-12 numbers will improve, but with Dr. Schultz's and Mr. Chun's abilities to fundraise perhaps that won't be a major impediment.

Once the IPF is up and running, what about gradually expanding Martin Stadium to 60k as Biggs suggested a while back.

Can you imagine how loud that place would get?

Agree 100% on a FIRST CLASS Indoor Practice Facility.

Who knows when the Pac-12 numbers will improve, but with Dr. Schultz's and Mr. Chun's abilities to fundraise perhaps that won't be a major impediment.

Once the IPF is up and running, what about gradually expanding Martin Stadium to 60k as Biggs suggested a while back.

Can you imagine how loud that place would get?

I recall Biggs calling for a 70,000-seat stadium. Whatever modifications are made, a new stadium must be on wheels for that trek to Ellensburg for the Apple Cup. :D

Reactions: walzuu
Geez, Loyal.

This isn't much better than the guy last week who kept insinuating a well-known poster was some kind of undesirable sexual predator.

Perhaps Loyal is channeling spongie these days. Or, perhaps he is spongie ... . Wonder where that loser is now.

I recall Biggs calling for a 70,000-seat stadium. Whatever modifications are made, a new stadium must be on wheels for that trek to Ellensburg for the Apple Cup. :D

So 70K it is!

I stand corrected and thanks for the clarification.

What is the connection with Ellensburg, though?

Geez, Loyal.

This isn't much better than the guy last week who kept insinuating a well-known poster was some kind of undesirable sexual predator.

Stay out of it Pete. When you get personally attacked and insulted 1,000+ times by one poster then you can start your own little war. In the meantime, stay out of mine.

Since I spew such nonsense, a highly intelligent poster such as yourself should just ignore my posts. Don'tcha think?

And you say demand is not high enough? Based upon what "truth"? Details, please. Here I thought that we had sold out almost every game the last couple/few years. And we used to sell out quite often when we had good teams AND 3,700 more seats. And, in those days, when I was a season ticket holder BTW, those now-eliminated endzone bowl seats were full. Even for the non-sellout games.

The east endzone seating that Moos often talked about included more suites, but those would be above GA seating. In all, he envisioned an additional 10,000 seats from such a structure, but he said it would not be pursued until there was a solid history of the current new seats selling out and likely not until after an IPF was completed. I see no reason why this approach would change, Loyal's desire for cheap seats notwithstanding.

Hey, some real dialogue. Cool. I don't think I ever saw Moos' vision for the endzone seats. Just Sterk's way back when. And on the selling out of the "new seats", I assume you mean the suites/loge/whatever we should call the luxury seats. Be interesting to see what the history is so far. Particularly with the links I shared earlier showing those seats' cost increasing over $1,000/seat from 2016 to 2019. And if they are "still" selling out, that's great!

Stay out of it Pete. When you get personally attacked and insulted 1,000+ times by one poster then you can start your own little war. In the meantime, stay out of mine.

Since I spew such nonsense, a highly intelligent poster such as yourself should just ignore my posts. Don'tcha think?

And you say demand is not high enough? Based upon what "truth"? Details, please. Here I thought that we had sold out almost every game the last couple/few years. And we used to sell out quite often when we had good teams AND 3,700 more seats. And, in those days, when I was a season ticket holder BTW, those now-eliminated endzone bowl seats were full. Even for the non-sellout games.

Hey, some real dialogue. Cool. I don't think I ever saw Moos' vision for the endzone seats. Just Sterk's way back when. And on the selling out of the "new seats", I assume you mean the suites/loge/whatever we should call the luxury seats. Be interesting to see what the history is so far. Particularly with the links I shared earlier showing those seats' cost increasing over $1,000/seat from 2016 to 2019. And if they are "still" selling out, that's great!

You’re the guy posting about the empty seats. You can go look up actual attendance too if that’s how you want to spend your time.

You’re the guy posting about the empty seats. You can go look up actual attendance too if that’s how you want to spend your time.

Why do that when I can hang out here and toy with my stalker? Stalker, stalker, gibby is a stalker! 16,333 posts and still has not brought anything to the table!

I think I'll write a song about you. Perhaps to the tune of Iron Man. "I am Stalkkkker Man....." Or War Pigs. "On his knees stalker gibby is crawling.....Loyal laughing spreads his wings....."

I already sent in my Lifetime Movie script about you and me. "Stalked by a lawyer". A nice, gentle, fun-loving man is stalked online endlessly by a creepy little lawyer.

Stalker.:eek::eek::eek:

Why do that when I can hang out here and toy with my stalker? Stalker, stalker, gibby is a stalker! 16,333 posts and still has not brought anything to the table!

I think I'll write a song about you. Perhaps to the tune of Iron Man. "I am Stalkkkker Man....." Or War Pigs. "On his knees stalker gibby is crawling.....Loyal laughing spreads his wings....."

I already sent in my Lifetime Movie script about you and me. "Stalked by a lawyer". A nice, gentle, fun-loving man is stalked online endlessly by a creepy little lawyer.

Stalker.:eek::eek::eek:

You’re the one that constantly calls people names on this board and has online tantrums.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT