ADVERTISEMENT

People with legal knowledge re: Briles...

79COUG

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2008
So...you're an employee of a business and someone comes to you with an accusation of a crime (sexual assault) that was committed on "company property" (campus) and you choose not to report it to your immediate supervisor or the police.
Have you committed a crime?
Then you actively conspire to "hide" the accusation from the police.

The reason I ask is a female co-worker, when told of what happened, asked me the question "Will he (Briles) be charged with a crime?

I don't know. Do you?

So...you're an employee of a business and someone comes to you with an accusation of a crime (sexual assault) that was committed on "company property" (campus) and you choose not to report it to your immediate supervisor or the police.
Then you actively conspire to "hide" the accusation from the police.

The reason I ask is a female co-worker, when told of what happened, asked me the question "Will he (Briles) be charged with a crime?

I don't know. Do you?
I'm not sure about whether this is criminal under Texas law, but it's a significant issue to the campus under federal law. There are mandatory reporting requirements for many campus employees, depending on how the campus structures their system (but almost always including coaches).

Under Washington law, not reporting the act is not a crime, as long as the victim is not a minor or a "vulnerable adult".

I'm not sure about whether this is criminal under Texas law, but it's a significant issue to the campus under federal law. There are mandatory reporting requirements for many campus employees, depending on how the campus structures their system (but almost always including coaches).

Under Washington law, not reporting the act is not a crime, as long as the victim is not a minor or a "vulnerable adult".

Gotcha. Thanks, 95.

I believe much of what's going on is covered under Title IX. Which is "law", isn't it? So violating that, would make it "illegal"? Pure speculation. More questions than answers

I believe much of what's going on is covered under Title IX. Which is "law", isn't it? So violating that, would make it "illegal"? Pure speculation. More questions than answers
you're right that title ix is federal law, but i've always been under the impression that it's more the institutions that are held accountable (from a legal standpoint) than individuals. also speculation on my part, but i don't think briles would be charged w/ a crime under title ix.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT