ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-season Top 25 rankings

Flatlandcoug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 14, 2007
Wichita, Kansas
Even though they don't mean anything in the big picture, I'm loving all the post-spring attention that WSU is receiving. Following is our listing in a number of the most current preseason rankings that are based on the results of spring practices:

The Sporting News: #23
ESPN: #25
Fox Sports: #21
Gridiron Now: #24

CBS doesn't have us ranked but they have BSU ranked #19 so we'll have an early opportunity to change their minds. I won't be surprised if we end up in the "others receiving votes" category in week one but if we can figure out our early season struggles, this year looks like it has tremendous potential and we could see a very high ranking when we head into the home game against Stanford November 4th. 8-1 WSU vs 7-1 Stanford might prove to be an interesting choice for College Gameday. If USC proves to be a paper tiger and loses to both (highly unlikely), it might be unavoidable. I'd be ok with that.

At any rate, I'm still happy that Leach has gotten the program to the point where a Top 25 discussion is relevant and 8-5 was a disappointment.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
I don't really feel that 8-5 was a disappointment. Being 8-2 and ending up 8-5 was.

I agree we'll likely start the season among the "others receiving votes". But, that'll end in a hurry if we drop the opener to Montana State. I'd like to think that's laughable, but we're 0-2 against the FCS in the last 2 seasons, and we're 0-5 in season openers under Leach. MSU wasn't good last year (4-7), and doesn't look to be significantly improved this year. We need to come out in week 1 and blow their doors off, and let Falk sit the 4th quarter.

I'll give credit, Boise State should be a solid team, and Oregon State is improving, but if we're really a quality team we should beat both at home. If we don't take advantage of home cooking early in the season and start out 4-0, then we won't be in the running for the division title in November. I'll be surprised if SC loses before then, so we should both come into that Sept. 29 game at 4-0...and I think that's the situation that gives us the best shot at being 5-0 on Oct. 1.

I think Cal is our trap game this year. It's a Friday game, so we get a short week to travel to Berkeley, right after traveling to Autzen. I don't expect Cal to be very good, but I don't like the setup. That's actually our only two consecutive weeks of travel, and I think creates a tough mid-season stretch. The only part of our schedule I like less is the 11 straight weeks without a bye...although I like the bye before Apple Cup, so I guess we have to take the bad with the good.

Even though they don't mean anything in the big picture, I'm loving all the post-spring attention that WSU is receiving. Following is our listing in a number of the most current preseason rankings that are based on the results of spring practices:

The Sporting News: #23
ESPN: #25
Fox Sports: #21
Gridiron Now: #24

CBS doesn't have us ranked but they have BSU ranked #19 so we'll have an early opportunity to change their minds. I won't be surprised if we end up in the "others receiving votes" category in week one but if we can figure out our early season struggles, this year looks like it has tremendous potential and we could see a very high ranking when we head into the home game against Stanford November 4th. 8-1 WSU vs 7-1 Stanford might prove to be an interesting choice for College Gameday. If USC proves to be a paper tiger and loses to both (highly unlikely), it might be unavoidable. I'd be ok with that.

At any rate, I'm still happy that Leach has gotten the program to the point where a Top 25 discussion is relevant and 8-5 was a disappointment.

8-1? I'm assuming you believe the one loss will be vs Montana State?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me a third time, then clearly I'm a damn idiot.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
I don't really feel that 8-5 was a disappointment. Being 8-2 and ending up 8-5 was.

I agree we'll likely start the season among the "others receiving votes". But, that'll end in a hurry if we drop the opener to Montana State. I'd like to think that's laughable, but we're 0-2 against the FCS in the last 2 seasons, and we're 0-5 in season openers under Leach. MSU wasn't good last year (4-7), and doesn't look to be significantly improved this year. We need to come out in week 1 and blow their doors off, and let Falk sit the 4th quarter.

I'll give credit, Boise State should be a solid team, and Oregon State is improving, but if we're really a quality team we should beat both at home. If we don't take advantage of home cooking early in the season and start out 4-0, then we won't be in the running for the division title in November. I'll be surprised if SC loses before then, so we should both come into that Sept. 29 game at 4-0...and I think that's the situation that gives us the best shot at being 5-0 on Oct. 1.

I think Cal is our trap game this year. It's a Friday game, so we get a short week to travel to Berkeley, right after traveling to Autzen. I don't expect Cal to be very good, but I don't like the setup. That's actually our only two consecutive weeks of travel, and I think creates a tough mid-season stretch. The only part of our schedule I like less is the 11 straight weeks without a bye...although I like the bye before Apple Cup, so I guess we have to take the bad with the good.
If we stumble through the Montana State game and don't blow their doors off Boise State is going to kick our ass. The Team didn't start finding the way to success last year until about an hour into the Idaho game. Would be nice to see this trend broken this year.

Right now we are a slow starting run out of steam finishing team.

Which makes perfect since if we are a young talented but not very deep team (which we have been)

The key will be to overcome these hurdles and blocks and have the depth to finish the season strong.

We probably are somewhere from 7-5 to 9-3 team again.

Yes we have Falk, but receivers need to be solid, d line needs to step up, and we have to fill Luani shoes.

We aren't a bad team but we aren't a great team yet. We can get there, but guys have to step up.

It's nice to be mentioned in the top 25 preseason though. Every year we are earning more and more credibility as a program.

What I enjoy now is the anticipation of the games and season. I really look forward to WSU football now instead of a nervous resentment.

We'll have great moments and infuriating ones as well, but more good than bad and really that's a good feeling to have again.

Which makes perfect since if we are a young talented but not very deep team (which we have been)

The key will be to overcome these hurdles and blocks and have the depth to finish the season strong.

Yes we have Falk, but receivers need to be solid, d line needs to step up, and we have to fill Luani shoes.

We aren't a bad team but we aren't a great team yet. We can get there, but guys have to step up.

It's nice to be mentioned in the top 25 preseason though. Every year we are earning more and more credibility as a program.

What I enjoy now is the anticipation of the games and season. I really look forward to WSU football now instead of a nervous resentment.

We'll have great moments and infuriating ones as well, but more good than bad and really that's a good feeling to have again.

"Nervous resentment"

That's a funny one.

You've touched on something and I don't know how much of it has been engineered or just how the dice have rolled. But we have Falk coming back but depth at the WR position is "young". How awesome is it that our recruiting classes aren't in complete synch!!! Meaning we get one great class then dive for a year or two, which translates into have a great QB and great WR in one year but then suck air for 2 years while the one great recruiting class matures. I look back at how up and down our program was and compare where we are now... I love the Steady Eddy recruiting. Someone on the team is always picking up the slack, not a bunch of young'uns TRYING to pick up the slack. OR players without the ability to pick up the slack... Our program has come a long way, guys.

The next step will be getting the actual depth. Example: We have a mature QB AND WR without a whole bunch of drop-off between classes. THAT'S when we will become seriously competitive.

Reactions: cougcowboy

Personally, I'm grateful that you can type, "We probably are somewhere from 7-5 to 9-3 team again." and there is nobody that can dispute that. I agree with your first sentence overall but I think the young part was the biggest issue last year. Our failure to execute consistently early in the season and then again late in the season killed us. UW was the only game that we lost where I felt that depth and talent were real factors in the result. The other four games were all between the ears. Dropped balls, bad angles, not trusting one another and general breakdowns crippled us in games that we could have/should have won.

I think our ceiling is 10-2 this year during the regular season but again, I appreciate that I can say that and really believe it. Two years ago at this time, the conversation was along the lines that another losing season was likely but we had a 50/50 chance at a bowl game. I love the nervous resentment comment BTW.

Personally, I'm grateful that you can type, "We probably are somewhere from 7-5 to 9-3 team again." and there is nobody that can dispute that. I agree with your first sentence overall but I think the young part was the biggest issue last year. Our failure to execute consistently early in the season and then again late in the season killed us. UW was the only game that we lost where I felt that depth and talent were real factors in the result. The other four games were all between the ears. Dropped balls, bad angles, not trusting one another and general breakdowns crippled us in games that we could have/should have won.

I think our ceiling is 10-2 this year during the regular season but again, I appreciate that I can say that and really believe it. Two years ago at this time, the conversation was along the lines that another losing season was likely but we had a 50/50 chance at a bowl game. I love the nervous resentment comment BTW.
Yes...if we go 10-2, two losses will be against Montana State and, of course, UW. :D
By the way, I would certainly take that.

Last edited:
If not this year, then when?

Lots of seniors at key positions. Stability in the coaching staff. We are not ultra-deep, but we are deeper at most positions than we've been in a long time. Team speed is probably the best in 12 years. And special teams range from average to pretty good. Not hard to remember when all of those things seemed far away.

Sure there are woulda/coulda/shoulda things. I wish we had more big DT's. I wish we had a MLB who could run a legit 4.6 40. I wish we didn't have to look at the RB's to try to scare up some explosive WR's. But I've watched Coug football for roughly 50 years, and I have "wants" every year.

This team has leadership and should know how to win. We start with the most home games I can ever remember, and what is a reasonable schedule over all.

3 months ago I would have put the over/under for regular season wins at 8. At this point (partly from our performance and partly from what I can see of the rest of the PAC), I'm closer to 9.

And I keep coming back to the question…If not this year, then when??

If not this year, then when?

And I keep coming back to the question…If not this year, then when??

I will probably say when Hilinski is a senior. Meaning the 2019 Season

He currently is a RS Soph this year meaning that next year he will take the reins (more than likely) as a RS Junior. All he's doing is practicing and practicing and practicing. I think his first year we will be good without missing much of a beat, but his Redshirt Senior year could be THE special year.

Pending we keep on the trajectory we are on now here's what our team would look like with Hilinski as a RS Senior QB.

QB: Hilinski (RS Senior)
RB: James Williams (RS Senior), Romello Harris (RS Junior)
WR: Isiah Johnson Mack (Senior)
WR: Dezmon Paton (Senior)
WR: Anthony White JR. (Junior)
WR:Jamiere Calvin (RS Junior)
OL: Amos Sakaria (RS Sr.)
OL: Cedric Bigge Duren (RS. Sr.)
OL: Nilson Gaisoa (RS Jr)
OL: Liam Ryan (RS Jr)

That's the offense. That's not excluding other players that come in the next two years, and the O-line could be multiple configurations because there are a lot of talented guys at depth.

It will be a nasty force and definitely will put up points.

The defense will look something likes this.

DE/Rush LB: Mason Vineyard -(RS Junior)
DT: Hunter Mattox (RS Senior)
DT: Lyric Bartley (RS Junior)
DE: Christian Mejia (RS Jr)

SLB: Derek Moore (Senior)
MLB: Jahad Woods (Senior)

Nickel: D'Jimon Jones (Senior)
SS: Grant Porter (Senior)
FS: Hunter Dale (Senior)
CB:Jalen Thompson (Senior)
CB: Deion Singleton (RS Senior)

Now obviously the defensive backs will have a big change up from that in terms of who is playing where, but all the names you will see somewhere on defense, and this of course is without players we get in the next two years.

As you can see it will be a very fast and experienced group right at the time Hilinski as a Senior is leading that offensive unit.

Now obviously there has to be depth, but with the stability, we have at coaching right now and if we add to what we have in two years we will make a serious run for the Pac-12 North again.

Browning will have graduated leaving the door open for WSU to take the North with RS Senior Hilinski.

We will have an experienced defense, we will have an experienced offense, and more than likely the depth and a few extra playmaker additions to the roster, but 2019 season will be one to really really watch because we will be on our 2nd RS SR all Leach QB season with Hilinski, and a defense that matches Grinch's vision of speed and athleticism that will also be seniors.

You want to know "when"... that's when. I am curious to see who else gets added to the depth and sparks of that team, but it will be a VERY special group.

Reactions: kayak15
as per usual, this team has the ability to go anywhere between 3 and 10 wins.

I'm not worried about the O; someone in the WR corps will step up and get it done, at least enough to keep the chains moving. With the added threat of the run, Falk won't need to go all 9's as much as he has in the past.

What does worry me is the loss of Luani and Barber. Without the push that Barber provided (pre-incident) to put pressure and Luani's ball hawking abilities, I feel that the D has a real chance of being picked apart, as in Apple Cup type games all year.

If only we had an all-world corner with excellent instincts and great mechanics but was constantly overlooked by the coaching staff....

He currently is a RS Soph this year meaning that next year he will take the reins (more than likely) as a RS Junior. All he's doing is practicing and practicing and practicing. I think his first year we will be good without missing much of a beat, but his Redshirt Senior year could be THE special year.

Pending we keep on the trajectory we are on now here's what our team would look like with Hilinski as a RS Senior QB.

That's the offense. That's not excluding other players that come in the next two years, and the O-line could be multiple configurations because there are a lot of talented guys at depth.

Now obviously the defensive backs will have a big change up from that in terms of who is playing where, but all the names you will see somewhere on defense, and this of course is without players we get in the next two years.

As you can see it will be a very fast and experienced group right at the time Hilinski as a Senior is leading that offensive unit.

Now obviously there has to be depth, but with the stability, we have at coaching right now and if we add to what we have in two years we will make a serious run for the Pac-12 North again.

Browning will have graduated leaving the door open for WSU to take the North with RS Senior Hilinski.

We will have an experienced defense, we will have an experienced offense, and more than likely the depth and a few extra playmaker additions to the roster, but 2019 season will be one to really really watch because we will be on our 2nd RS SR all Leach QB season with Hilinski, and a defense that matches Grinch's vision of speed and athleticism that will also be seniors.

You want to know "when"... that's when. I am curious to see who else gets added to the depth and sparks of that team, but it will be a VERY special group.
I find it a little amusing that you're applying the "special group" label to a lineup of kids who haven't even seen the field, or barely have. Seems like you're counting chickens before we even know how many eggs there are.

I'll agree with Cr8zyncalif to the extent that we do have a lot of senior leaders, and that generally bodes well for most teams. I do fear that the timing isn't optimal, I wish Marks and Cracraft had been a year younger so we could have WR leaders at the same time we had a QB. Right now we don't really have a sure go-to receiver, or one who has emerged as the consistent threat to make the tough catch and move the chains. Add that to the question marks on the DL and in the secondary, and we've got just enough concerns that if nobody steps up to fill the holes, even with key seniors this could be a very pedestrian team. I expect someone will emerge on D, and we don't necessarily need a star WR, if we get solid supporting performances from several - this offense likely even works better if there's not one guy that Falk looks for every time.

Seriously, looking at our schedule I think every game is in reach, if the stars align. SC looks like the toughest to pull off, followed by UW. But the Huskies lost a lot of their D, and some key offensive guys, so could be vulnerable. Best hope of getting by SC is to make Darnold play like a sophomore...but I'm not sure how to do that, and nobody managed to make him look like a freshman last year.

A very nice and pleasing post. But I have serious reservations about one comment. Browning's graduation may have little effect on the u. They have garnered two highly regarded QBs in this year's commitment list and one is bound to perform well.

Lots of space between then and now for injuries, new recruits, performance outcomes- good or bad- etc. to arise over the next two years.

That said, keep that optimism coming.

95, Darnold did indeed play beyond his years. I think he will be special, and he will play 3 years at most before going to Sunday games. BUT....and it is a big BUT...he played behind what was arguably the best O line in the league last year, and one that was effective with the run game. Nobody...and I mean nobody...knows at this point how that is going to look this fall. They lost 3 good O linemen and went into spring ball with one clear replacement identified. Going into August they have candidates for the other spots, but either their D line is otherworldly, or the O line was pretty bad this spring. Bottom line: Darnold will have to be better this fall than last year, because I don't believe that his O line will be as good. Is he a good enough QB to make up the difference? Will the WR's step up to give him help? Will the run game be good enough to take off enough pressure? Will Darnold get a case of the Sophomore slump?

I'll tell you that the local sports writers have no clear opinion. And we won't know until 3 or 4 games into the season. Just in time for our game in Pullman.

I repeat...If not this year, then when?

95, Darnold did indeed play beyond his years. I think he will be special, and he will play 3 years at most before going to Sunday games. BUT....and it is a big BUT...he played behind what was arguably the best O line in the league last year, and one that was effective with the run game. Nobody...and I mean nobody...knows at this point how that is going to look this fall. They lost 3 good O linemen and went into spring ball with one clear replacement identified. Going into August they have candidates for the other spots, but either their D line is otherworldly, or the O line was pretty bad this spring. Bottom line: Darnold will have to be better this fall than last year, because I don't believe that his O line will be as good. Is he a good enough QB to make up the difference? Will the WR's step up to give him help? Will the run game be good enough to take off enough pressure? Will Darnold get a case of the Sophomore slump?

I'll tell you that the local sports writers have no clear opinion. And we won't know until 3 or 4 games into the season. Just in time for our game in Pullman.

I repeat...If not this year, then when?

The last two years have made it obvious that WSU has the potential to go 11-1. UW is the only team that has manhandled us in that time. Chokejobs against PSU and EWU, a close loss to Cal plus an errant field goal against Stanford, a lazy effort early against BSU and a case of the drops against CU were the reason we lost games. It wasn't talent or depth....it was execution. If our team executes to the level that Leach expects, 10-2 is very possible this year with an outside shot at 11-1. Everyone loves Darnold but there are a lot of QB's that don't play as well in their second year. Sometimes, playing instinctively makes the game easier and once they get to the 2nd year, they start thinking too much and make mistakes that they didn't in year one.

I doubt that we go 11-1 and 10-2 remains to be seen, but Leach has recruited guys to his system to be in the position to take a run at it right now. Of course, we are still light enough on depth and talent that 6-6 wouldn't be a tremendous shock with the way that the last two seasons played out. We can lose to anyone when we set our minds to it.

We can lose to anyone when we set our minds to it.

I think this worries me the most about our team/coach/"system". It just feels like we are super vulnerable to giving up stupid games to stupid teams. For a bad example i would pick Stanford. Stanford has a sort of "manhandle you" system where they play great defense and ball-control run it down your throats type offense.

Smaller/less talented/ill-prepared teams seem to be unable to beat a Stanford-type team. They don't have the talent or size to over power Stanford.

With the Cougs it just appears we have a system (at least on offense) that if a team has "x" amount of weeks to prepare for they will be able to handle us. Maybe using our season openers and bowl games is a bad example, but we are 0-5 in season openers and 1-2 in bowl games. That win over Miami btw... that second half was ugly (if I remember correctly).

I dunno, I am probably wrong. I just wish we had the ability to fully convert to a run game if the opponent shuts down our air raid offense. Right now it does not appear we are able to successfully and consistently run the ball when WE want to (in opposition to taking what the defense gives us).

I think this worries me the most about our team/coach/"system". It just feels like we are super vulnerable to giving up stupid games to stupid teams. For a bad example i would pick Stanford. Stanford has a sort of "manhandle you" system where they play great defense and ball-control run it down your throats type offense.

Smaller/less talented/ill-prepared teams seem to be unable to beat a Stanford-type team. They don't have the talent or size to over power Stanford.

With the Cougs it just appears we have a system (at least on offense) that if a team has "x" amount of weeks to prepare for they will be able to handle us. Maybe using our season openers and bowl games is a bad example, but we are 0-5 in season openers and 1-2 in bowl games. That win over Miami btw... that second half was ugly (if I remember correctly).

I dunno, I am probably wrong. I just wish we had the ability to fully convert to a run game if the opponent shuts down our air raid offense. Right now it does not appear we are able to successfully and consistently run the ball when WE want to (in opposition to taking what the defense gives us).

That 2nd half against Miami was brutal, but with the snow.....I don't know if any real judgment can be made. The biggest issue that I see on the "manhandle you" comment is that our receivers (outside of Cracraft) have a tendency to let themselves get manhandled by physical defensive backs. One of the knocks listed for Gabe Marks on his NFL draft analysis mentioned that specifically. Not that anyone is all that great at it, but we also struggle to contain QB's that are legitimate run threats. Sefo from Colorado had his way with us at times.

On the comment about time to prepare, I'm not sure what to think. The evidence is there but I'm not sure what the problem is. We were in the process of running CSU out of the bowl game when the team just melted down. It didn't feel like a game where we had been out-prepared or easy to defend. Same goes for the Sun Bowl. We were leading 20-7 at halftime. If anything, it seems to me that Leach is having a problem getting these guys to develop that killer instinct that they need and that too often, we head into games feeling too good about ourselves and think that going through the motions is good enough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT