ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

7ICoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 30, 2003
PF Holden is gone committed to Lousiana Tech. WSU offered true PG 2014 Brandon Chauca out of 22 Feet Academy. He has Canadian connections.

That is too bad i really wanted this guy. Oh well that is recruiting for you. They need another PG and maybe he is the one. However,they really need another big man.They have Cheatum and perhaps Railey can step up his game. Of course,Canty may be the wild card here. I guess that Longrus may be serviceable. Other than that,there are not really any talent capable of playing at the D 1 level right now. If they did offer Chauca they are now sniffing at the bottom of the barrel. He is a 5'9 good shooting guard with limited jumping ability, but he knows basketball. If they are considering him, then Alford did have an offer as he is head and shoulders above this guy. He would not pose a threat to Trammal starting,that is for sure. He,perhaps would be able to play about 10 minutes a game if needed. He would be a definite liability of defense.

This post was edited on 5/2 2:01 PM by ElComanche

Chauca can definitely shoot and with range but is tiny. The 5'9" might actually be generous. Definitely would appear to be a PG for depth.

Originally posted by SaveFerris:

Chauca can definitely shoot and with range but is tiny. The 5'9" might actually be generous. Definitely would appear to be a PG for depth.
Coach Kent did have some success with Tajuan Porter, who was listed as a generous 5'7'.

Porter had the ability to get his shot off with his quickness and explosiveness. I am also pretty sure he had better offers than SE Louisianna but could be wrong there.

Height and length is nice but if you can play you can play. I'm not writing the kid off. Kent must have seen something to offer Chauca. The name appears fitting by the way.

Originally posted by SaveFerris:

Porter had the ability to get his shot off with his quickness and explosiveness. I am also pretty sure he had better offers than SE Louisianna but could be wrong there.

Height and length is nice but if you can play you can play. I'm not writing the kid off. Kent must have seen something to offer Chauca. The name appears fitting by the way.
He's visiting Virginia Tech this weekend and has interest from Missouri and California, according to his coach, so there's something the coaches are seeing. My first impression of his film was Isaiah Thomas, but that may just be the lefty connection.

Regardless, I kind of like his film. He'd instantly be a fan favorite in Pullman. On the court, the kid has filthy handles and he's going to knock down a solid percentage of outside shots. He's not going to be able to penetrate and score in the Pac-12 -- or anywhere, for that matter -- but he can certainly get in the lane and create for others with his ball handling and awareness.

I think it would be a decent addition. They'd accept a commitment from Redding first, though. Looks like they want to add another prep guard and a JUCO forward.

This post was edited on 5/3 12:48 AM by Britton Ransford

You are talking like there are still three scholarships still available.? If they add Nye and this kid plus a juco forward then that means five new players for next year. I do not write this kid off as he may be able to contribute in a faster paced game.One thing that both Nye and Chauca understand is "spacing' in that they balance out the floor either instinctively or through coaching.Some HS players just tend to go one on one with their defender and it leaves their teammates just looking and standing around a lot. A teams' offense is much harder to defend when you use the whole floor to attack a defense and all players are moving to open spaces in the defense. John Wooden had a great saying "be quick but don't hurry" Some players understand this but others do not and try to overcome the defense thru individual play. The shots will come with patience.
I also notice that a juco power forward 6'9-6'10 - 260-280 pds has been recently offered so perhaps they do have someone in the potential pipeline.All of these players are needed and they would bring excitement back to coug basketball.

Originally posted by ElComanche:
You are talking like there are still three scholarships still available.? If they add Nye and this kid plus a juco forward then that means five new players for next year. I do not write this kid off as he may be able to contribute in a faster paced game.One thing that both Nye and Chauca understand is "spacing' in that they balance out the floor either instinctively or through coaching.Some HS players just tend to go one on one with their defender and it leaves their teammates just looking and standing around a lot. A teams' offense is much harder to defend when you use the whole floor to attack a defense and all players are moving to open spaces in the defense. John Wooden had a great saying "be quick but don't hurry" Some players understand this but others do not and try to overcome the defense thru individual play. The shots will come with patience.
I also notice that a juco power forward 6'9-6'10 - 260-280 pds has been recently offered so perhaps they do have someone in the potential pipeline.All of these players are needed and they would bring excitement back to coug basketball.
I'm not sure where I said they would take three more prospects. I said they would take a commitment from Nye Redding ahead of a commitment from this kid and then add a JUCO forward, which is two scholarships. Sorry if that was confusing. Essentially, I think this staff has Nye at No. 1 and Chauca at No. 2. They'll take Nye's commitment "first" and then focus on a JUCO forward to round out the class.

I guess that i was just hoping that another player would transfer to open up another position. I much rather have Nye as he has potential at a higher level than Chauca. although Chauca would be a crowd favorite. Another juco post player is their biggest need in many ways.

I did see the Va. Tech. visit but had not seen an offer. The interest from the 2 other programs is good to see. One of the first things I thought when I watched the highlights was "fan favorite" as well. At this point you get what you can get even if the kid ends up just being added depth at a position of need.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT