ADVERTISEMENT

Rich Rod fired

BiggsCoug

Hall Of Fame
Feb 5, 2003
Think there's 16 or so kids wondering how the early signing period helped them?

Well at least the amount of upheaval in the conference can combat some of the crappy PAC Bowl showing narrative. Maybe. Probably not

TMZ says he admits to an affair with non-UA staffer.

His admin staffer was being made by RichRod to lie to his wife about it, she did, got migranes etc. and wants to sue UA and RichRod

UA is saying it is for FB reasons and are paying out his buyout.

TMZ says he admits to an affair with non-UA staffer.

His admin staffer was being made by RichRod to lie to his wife about it, she did, got migranes etc. and wants to sue UA and RichRod

UA is saying it is for FB reasons and are paying out his buyout.
OMG. In the world of news totally focusing on these type of scandals coupled with the old school business of workers getting fired for having affairs ...you'd be hard pressed to find a sympathetic ear anywhere.

So Leach is the last man standing of the Pac-12 head coaches hired the same year as him. The other three all fired this year after steady decline.

So Leach is the last man standing of the Pac-12 head coaches hired the same year as him. The other three all fired this year after steady decline.
I think there's something to this. Continuity. There are so many examples regarding the benefits of it. So many examples, both in football and basketball. Many ask how Gonzaga has done it, for example. I believe finding a coach that is willing to stay in Spokane is a massive building block. By no means the magic key but certainly part of a foundation while building. I like that WSU has found a coach that can get it done and appears to be willing to stick around Pullman.

I don't know that I can overstate how great that is.

I think there's something to this. Continuity. There are so many examples regarding the benefits of it. So many examples, both in football and basketball. Many ask how Gonzaga has done it, for example. I believe finding a coach that is willing to stay in Spokane is a massive building block. By no means the magic key but certainly part of a foundation while building. I like that WSU has found a coach that can get it done and appears to be willing to stick around Pullman.

I don't know that I can overstate how great that is.

Continuity matters if you've got the right guy. Rich Rod can't keep his hands to himself. Graham gets fired after 7-5, which tells me no one liked him.

The gap has closed between BCS haves and have nots. There's still some ground to be made up but you can stay at a school like UA for 15 years and create generational wealth without having the scrutiny of a blue blooded job.

And this is off topic but it's something I've wondered about.... When do kids start asking about coaching opportunities after their playing days? The average NFL career is maybe 3 years. Not a lot of earning potential there. Now that coaching pays big dollars, when do kids see that as a long term career choice when choosing a school? I'd coach running backs for $375,000 as long as I could keep that gig going!

Reactions: earldacoug
Continuity matters if you've got the right guy. Rich Rod can't keep his hands to himself. Graham gets fired after 7-5, which tells me no one liked him.

The gap has closed between BCS haves and have nots. There's still some ground to be made up but you can stay at a school like UA for 15 years and create generational wealth without having the scrutiny of a blue blooded job.

And this is off topic but it's something I've wondered about.... When do kids start asking about coaching opportunities after their playing days? The average NFL career is maybe 3 years. Not a lot of earning potential there. Now that coaching pays big dollars, when do kids see that as a long term career choice when choosing a school? I'd coach running backs for $375,000 as long as I could keep that gig going!
Completely agree. And I think we have a decent guy at WSU that can keep it going. Continuity is one of the factors that will allow growth long term.

Interesting question on the players turning coaches. I don't keep up on the assistant coaches around the nation, or the PAC for that matter, but the youngest coach is UO's, Riley and he's 33.

Here's the 2017 youngest head coaches...
https://herosports.com/college-foot...ungest-college-football-coaches-pj-fleck-byby

And here's the youngest, and rising, assistants...
https://247sports.com/Article/College-footballs-rising-stars-247Sports-30Under30-for-2017-106217954

Wasn't going to go through to see when they started, if they played, etc. etc. I think the hard part is "stability" for you and your family tho. I think it also depends on whom you "latch onto". What head coach are you under, what is HIS reputation and what are you willing to keep philosophically. Because honestly, if you stay with a guy long enough, you'll be branded that guy. Kind of like so many of CML's protege's. They are all labeled "air raid", accurate or not. But if you're willing to move a lot in order to climb the ladder... yeppers. Kinda like a military brat.

But sticking around might be harder. Like you mention UA. RichRod had 4 bowl games in 6 years. Gone (for whatever reason). Stoops was around for 7 years. Beyond that Tomey was the longest back in 1987-2000 and I'd say that's an aberration more than anything. He was the longest tenured coach in UA history. KState has held onto their coach, Alabama has held onto their coach for quite a while now. But honestly, they don't call it the carousel of coaches for nothing. If you've stuck around one place for more than 10 years, you're ooooold.

To kinda blow WSU's horn a little, CML's coaching tree is pretty amazing. He has molded so many assistant and head coaches alike.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT