ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals: Which teams should WSU be rooting for in order to make CFP playoffs?

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
Rivals sets out the scenario.

Story: https://washingtonstate.rivals.com/news/college-football-playoff-teams-that-could-help-contenders

img_11271942__1537307821.jpg

That article isn't looking at the picture 100% accurately for WSU.

We "need" Alabama to win out. The SEC is going to get a spot so it might as well be them. A one loss 'Bama team gets in before WSU no matter what. To hell with Georgia. They'll drop behind WSU if they lose to Alabama in the SEC championship. 10-2 LSU isn't going to stay ahead of 12-1 WSU and they might be behind us tomorrow night.

We need two of the three below to occur to get into the playoff.

We need USC to beat Notre Dame. A close loss to Syracuse might keep ND in the conversation but a loss to the Trojans would finish the Irish. Syracuse beating ND by 10+ points might be enough. We'll get enough benefit of the doubt over the targeting controversy to forgive our early loss to USC.

We need the winner of the upcoming OU/WVU game to lose to whomever they face in the B12 championship game.

We need the winner of the Michigan/Ohio State game to lose in the B1G championship to Northwestern. There's an outside shot that we would stay ahead of Ohio State if we crush Arizona and UW in the next couple weeks, but I wouldn't bet on it.

If chaos reigns and ND loses to Syracuse, it will be interesting to see if that's enough to get us ahead of them. At the end of the day, I don't think we'll get enough cards to fall in our favor for us to get into the CFP....and the Rose Bowl is one hell of a consolation prize.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
That article isn't looking at the picture 100% accurately for WSU.

We "need" Alabama to win out. The SEC is going to get a spot so it might as well be them. A one loss 'Bama team gets in before WSU no matter what. To hell with Georgia. They'll drop behind WSU if they lose to Alabama in the SEC championship. 10-2 LSU isn't going to stay ahead of 12-1 WSU and they might be behind us tomorrow night.

We need two of the three below to occur to get into the playoff.

We need USC to beat Notre Dame. A close loss to Syracuse might keep ND in the conversation but a loss to the Trojans would finish the Irish. Syracuse beating ND by 10+ points might be enough. We'll get enough benefit of the doubt over the targeting controversy to forgive our early loss to USC.

We need the winner of the upcoming OU/WVU game to lose to whomever they face in the B12 championship game.

We need the winner of the Michigan/Ohio State game to lose in the B1G championship to Northwestern. There's an outside shot that we would stay ahead of Ohio State if we crush Arizona and UW in the next couple weeks, but I wouldn't bet on it.

If chaos reigns and ND loses to Syracuse, it will be interesting to see if that's enough to get us ahead of them. At the end of the day, I don't think we'll get enough cards to fall in our favor for us to get into the CFP....and the Rose Bowl is one hell of a consolation prize.
I was thinking the same thing as you regarding Alabama. Even if Alabama loses one, they are still in the playoffs.

You're totally forgetting about OU and WVU. They don't have a championship game so each them need to lose at least once. They still play each other so there's that too.

Edited to say that I looked over the sentence where it was mentioned lol

You're totally forgetting about OU and WVU. They don't have a championship game so each them need to lose at least once. They still play each other so there's that too.
The Big 12 (10) does have a championship game now.

We want Bama to win out. Clemson as well (a one loss Clemson team will likely get in ahead of WSU, even if they lose their conference title game).

A one loss Ohio State team gets in ahead of WSU. Their loss was way worse but they would have at least one big time one (Michigan) to hang their hat on plus they're tOSU. So I want Michigan to win out.

WSU's playoff chances hinge on two things playing out: Notre Dame either needs to be trucked pretty good by Syracuse OR loses to USC by any score. AND we need the Big 12 champ to be a 2 loss champ.

This would give WSU the 4 slot and a shot at Apollo Creed in his prime. I'd love to see this but the Rose is a 1A scenario too.

At the end of the day, I don't think we'll get enough cards to fall in our favor for us to get into the CFP....and the Rose Bowl is one hell of a consolation prize.

This.

I will add, though, that part of the "weak schedule" narrative surrounding WSU hinges a bit on Utah, UW and possibly Stanford.

If the Utes and Cardinal win convincingly the next two weeks, and the Huskies take care of OSU, it is possible that Stanford might sneak back into the Top 25 (receiving votes currently in the AP). With a win in the Apple Cup and the Pac12 title game, there is an outside chance WSU could be 4-0 over teams in one or all of the week 15 polls. That might change some minds.

On the other hand, if all three lose out, it is possible that WSU could be 0-0 against top 25 teams. And then it would be real hard to make a case for them over even some two-loss teams.

Regardless, my wish right now is an Apple Cup victory, conference championship, and Rose Bowl. CFP would just be icing.

I think there is a real shot that we jump not only LSU but OU in today’s rankings. Lots and lots of talk about their lack of D and the committee preferring teams with a strong offense and defense. Changes everything if they do. Assuming ND loses to Syracuse Or USC and Georgia loses to Bama that leaves it down to WSU, WVU or OU. Bama, Clemson and OSU/UM winner would be 1,2,3.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT