ADVERTISEMENT

Rolovich new HC

maybe he has good connections to some athletic and large Pacific Islanders....lets hope so...

It’s almost like Mora’s name was getting leaked so that whoever WSU hired not named Mora would make the fan base happy.
Brand Y claims they had a good idea this weekend it was Rolovich through "sources", Brand X doubled down with another Mora article.

No hatred , Maybe you worshipers should take a closer look at his record this year instead of jumping for joy. Hawaii lost to udub 20-52 shades of the AC ?They lost to AFA 20-56 3 man front? They lost to Boise state twice 37-59 and 10-31 the second game. . Of course among their victims were Central Michigan, Nevada , New Mexico, San Jose State,UNLV and mighty Army. Not exactly a murderers row of teams. Of course they did Beat SDSU 14-11 Did Long target Rico?Maybe there should have been a search committee to save magoo from himself much like the Kiffin hiring in Florida. But i will cede to the posters here and take a wait and see approach.

Last edited:
it is refreshing to see a HC that uses social media not just for attention, but to interact and connect with recruits. Hopefully our new recruiting coordinator will do the same. Drove me nuts that Emerick and Leach didn't have a twitter page to communicate with recruits. Emerick created one just a month ago.

No hatred , Maybe you worshipers should take a closer look at his record this year instead of jumping for joy. Hawaii lost to udub 20-52 shades of the AC ?They lost to AFA 20-56 3 man front? They lost to Boise state twice 37-59 and 10-31 the second game. . Of course among their victims were Central Michigan, Nevada , New Mexico, San Jose State,UNLV and mighty Army. Not exactly a murderers row of teams. Of course they did Beat SDSU 14-11 Did Long target Rico?Maybe there should have been a search committee to save magoo from himself much like the Kiffin hiring in Florida. But i will cede to the posters here and take a wait and see approach.

Is this John Blanchette's Rivals account?

Good hire. Hawaii was crap before he got there and he built a solid program. Back to back winning seasons at a program that has struggled for a decade.

it is refreshing to see a HC that uses social media not just for attention, but to interact and connect with recruits. Hopefully our new recruiting coordinator will do the same. Drove me nuts that Emerick and Leach didn't have a twitter page to communicate with recruits. Emerick created one just a month ago.
I'm completely in the dark about the rules/laws that twitter and such have regarding the communication between recruits and coaches/programs. So I don't want to muddy that up too much. I'd guess the "red line" is when a recruit is tagged individually but honestly don't know.

I get where you are coming from, though, and agree. CML didn't look at his twitter as a business account. And it didn't seem much of the staff/assistants did either. And every coach will look at it differently. But you are right. CFB is a business and while I truly enjoyed CML's quirkiness, it will be nice to have a more "business" atmosphere, as well. Glass half full, I guess. Hopefully Rolo, and staff, will use all of his assets, including social media, to their advantage.

The facts are facts . To try and deflect from his record is pure nonsense Do not shoot the messenger so to speak. I do believe that four wins may be his plateau next year. i hope that i am wrong.

The facts are facts . To try and deflect from his record is pure nonsense Do not shoot the messenger so to speak. I do believe that four wins may be his plateau next year. i hope that i am wrong.
Why are trying so hard to find a turd in the punch bowl on this hire? Why not just let people build a little excitement and enthusiasm around him?

Reactions: BiggsCoug
You guys are doing a great job of that. As i said i am adopting a wait and see attitude now that i pointed out his record.Pointing out a coach s record is common and one is not going out of their way to point it out.

You guys are doing a great job of that. As i said i am adopting a wait and see attitude now that i pointed out his record.Pointing out a coach s record is common and one is not going out of their way to point it out.
You have a different definition of "adopting a wait and see attitude" than the rest of humanity

Last edited:
How did that wait and see attitude work out for you regarding Kyle Smith? You were calling him "dufus" well before he ever coached a game for WSU. Interestingly, you never brought up Smith's career coaching record of 174-127 (.578 career percentage....50 points higher than Ernie Kent's career record). Guess it didn't fit your narrative.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: 79COUG
If you want i can give you the real dufus record he really has not won anything and the defeats are coming But this is about the new football coach. All i did was to give you his record this year. Hell it is in black and white. I cannot make it up Harsin cleaned his clock twice this year and it was not even close in both games You guys have 2 lower league coaches costing WSU 7 million a year. How do you like them apples?Hell tell me i am wrong in writing down the results of Hawaii s banner year? Please correct my mistakes in telling you the scores of the games.But deflect the truth by bringing other crap irrelevant to his selection

If you want i can give you the real dufus record he really has not won anything and the defeats are coming But this is about the new football coach. All i did was to give you his record this year. Hell it is in black and white. I cannot make it up Harsin cleaned his clock twice this year and it was not even close in both games You guys have 2 lower league coaches costing WSU 7 million a year. How do you like them apples?Hell tell me i am wrong in writing down the results of Hawaii s banner year? Please correct my mistakes in telling you the scores of the games.But deflect the truth by bringing other crap irrelevant to his selection
Mikey-hates-everything.jpg

You guys? LOL. Please stop posting here.

Why do you think he was coach of the year? He beat teams that Hawaii usually loses to because he’s a good coach (hint...Hawaii is probably more difficult to recruit to in the MWC than Pullman is in the PAC-12...terrible facilities and off the grid when it comes to...everything). Not sure why this is hard to understand.

Who knows what he will do in Pullman but those saying he’s CPW 2.0 are taking a rather simplistic view and aren’t thinking this through.

Why do you think he was coach of the year? He beat teams that Hawaii usually loses to because he’s a good coach (hint...Hawaii is probably more difficult to recruit to in the MWC than Pullman is in the PAC-12...terrible facilities and off the grid when it comes to...everything). Not sure why this is hard to understand.

Who knows what he will do in Pullman but those saying he’s CPW 2.0 are taking a rather simplistic view and aren’t thinking this through.

UH 2-1 in PAC 12 play.
WSU 3-6 in PAC 12 play.

Seems like he beat two teams with more $, more athletes, more facilities, etc.

Im not saying he is gonna light the league on fire, but I think he can take the baton from Leach and run with it. Key word “run.”

I mentioned this in the other thread but I'll summarize here.

Hawaii under Norm Chow - 2012 to 2015 - 11-39
Hawaii under Nick Rolovich - 2016 to 2019 - 28-27 (17 win improvement & 3 bowl appearances)

WSU under Paul Wulff - 2008 to 2011 - 9-40
WSU under Mike Leach - 2012 to 2015 - 21-29 (12 win improvement & 2 bowl appearances)

It's hard to say whether Rolovich is going to prove to be a good hire, but he had a very positive impact at a school that was struggling almost as badly was WSU did with Wulff. UW handed WSU a 45-10 beatdown in Leach's 4th year (and almost every year). Focusing on the results against one other opponent is a short sighted exercise.......some would argue that they aren't surprised that you exhibit that quality.

It's pointless trying to discuss logic to a guy who's only loyalty or interest in WSU is for satisfying his gambling habit.

You're ****ing negative.

UH 2-1 in PAC 12 play.
WSU 3-6 in PAC 12 play.

Seems like he beat two teams with more $, more athletes, more facilities, etc.

Im not saying he is gonna light the league on fire, but I think he can take the baton from Leach and run with it. Key word “run.”

He may very well fail. A lot P12 coaches don't get it done. What I don't understand are the comparisons to Wulff. Good God, have these naysayers compared their backgrounds?

Wulff took over an already strong Eastern WA program and went 53-40 during his time there. In the 3 years prior to Wulff, Eastern (Mike Kramer) finished 1st, 4th, and 2nd in the Big Sky. Since leaving Eastern WA, every job Wulff's had has been a mess; a descending trend.

Rolovich took over a Hawaii program that had gone 10-36 the previous 4 years, and led them to 8 wins in 2018 and 10 wins last season. Early in his career, he coached at CCSF while still playing in the AFL, and then retired from playing pro ball and coached QB's at Hawaii. He was later PROMOTED to Hawaii's offensive coordinator. He then accepted a PROMOTION to become Nevada's offensive coordinator for 4 seasons, before being PROMOTED to Hawaii's head coach, and now accepted a PROMOTION to become our head coach.

Rolovich is a guy who has been recognized as an ascending coach from the very beginning of his career. He may not succeed at WSU, but the comparisons to Wulff are ridiculous and insulting to him. He's succeeded and has been promoted at every one of his stops, both of which are D-I gigs. He's done more than Graham Harrell and more than Alex Grinch. Paul Wulff? Seriously?

Last edited:
He may very well fail. A lot P12 coaches don't get it done. What I don't understand are the comparisons to Wulff. Good God, have these naysayers compared their backgrounds?

Wulff took over an already strong Eastern WA program and went 53-40 during his time there. In the 3 years prior to Wulff, Eastern (Mike Kramer) finished 1st, 4th, and 2nd in the Big Sky. Since leaving Eastern WA, every job Wulff's had has been a mess; a descending trend.

Rolovich took over a Hawaii program that had gone 10-36 the previous 4 years, and led them to 8 wins in 2018 and 10 wins last season. Early in his career, he coached at CCSF while still playing in the AFL, and then retired from playing pro ball and coached QB's at Hawaii. He was later PROMOTED to Hawaii's offensive coordinator. He then accepted a PROMOTION to become Nevada's offensive coordinator for 4 seasons, before being PROMOTED to Hawaii's head coach, and now accepted a PROMOTION to become our head coach.

Rolovich is a guy who has been recognized as an ascending coach from the very beginning of his career. He may not succeed at WSU, but the comparisons to Wulff are ridiculous and insulting to him. He's succeeded and has been promoted at every one of his stops, both of which are D-I gigs. He's done more than Graham Harrell and more than Alex Grinch. Paul Wulff? Seriously?
Quit pissing in ElCommando's wheaties with all your happy thoughts and puppies and rainbows n' shit.

He was gonna get his shot. He is a young guy (40 is young in coaching) that is trending upward. He is walking into a situation where one side of the ball is primed and ready. Just run with what is there on offense and get to work on defense.

The right guy takes this job and runs it to 10 straight bow games.

He looks like the right guy on paper.

The thing that I'm hoping about Rolovich is that he's on a similar track that Leach took at WSU. It was year 4 (2015) before Leach really had things in place and the team started going to bowl games every year. Rolovich went 10-5 in his 4th year (Leach went 9-4). Of course, WSU fans should look at four of the losses and not judge.....UW, AFA, BSU, and BSU. We would have lost to all four of those teams this year without a doubt. The only questionable loss was the one to 4-8 Fresno State. Of course, Fresno State was 4-4 at that point so it didn't look as bad at the time, so I wonder what happened to the Bulldogs. Long story short, I'm hoping that Rolovich is a program builder similar to Leach where there is a long term payoff. I feel confident that as long as we get a decent DC and that Rolovich is smart about implementing his offense.....we'll make a bowl game in 2020.

Reactions: mikalalas
I don't mind negativity when it's justified, but I'm trying to objectively find out what was wrong with the Rolovich hire, and I can't come up with anything. We weren't going to pluck a standing P5 head coach, so it was either a G5 coach or a coordinator. We went for a top, young passing offense innovator to (hopefully) maintain the offensive momentum we established under Leach.

If Rolo doesn't get it done, that doesn't make it a bad hire. Trust me, if I thought we could have done better, I'd say it. There were some other names out there that I liked, including McElwain, but Rolo seems to meet or exceed what any of the other candidates brought to the table.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT