ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan's Leaf's new (employment) Non-Profit...

M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island
Another non-profit, really? Or perhaps it's, "what do I do now"? "Who will hire me, as I'm convicted of a crime?" "Wait! I know, I'll establish a non-profit!"

Folks, it takes years and years of renewal, and we've personally seen a sincere faith based transformation has a more permanent effect than hoping the demons of irresponsible living, (including lack of financial responsibility) will not return.

What about the fiscal responsibility? What about the financial responsibility? What about accountability?

Where will the $10,000 go? $10K is not a lot of money. Perhaps the organization desperately needs it for business expenses? Perhaps, (almost certainly) living expenses? Ryan's website indicates there are 8 folks total on staff. Really? I see complete media deception. I see the future exhibiting misappropriate of funds, purely based on intuition. We all need money to live, right?! We all have needs. Can't anyone else see this?

Yes, I've read all of the posts on from this Seattle Times article, and everyone wishes him well, and is hoping for the best. Frankly, I see this as a vessel of self-employment for Ryan, not remotely changing lives, in a so called, 'scholarship" model.

Why self-employment? No background check needed!

I'm all about second chances! Absolutely! But...."a tree is known by their fruit".
Am I the only one who sees this?

Note: Within this link is the Ellen DeGeneneres video:
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...eres-show-in-prison-gave-me-my-humanity-back/

Last edited:
Another non-profit, really? Or perhaps it's, "what do I do now"? "Who will hire me, as I'm convicted of a crime?" "Wait! I know, I'll establish a non-profit!"

Folks, it takes years and years of renewal, and we've personally seen a sincere faith based transformation has a more permanent effect than hoping the demons of irresponsible living, (including lack of financial responsibility) will not return.

What about the fiscal responsibility? What about the financial responsibility? What about accountability?

Where will the $10,000 go? $10K is not a lot of money. Perhaps the organization desperately needs it for business expenses? Perhaps, (almost certainly) living expenses? Ryan's website indicates there are 8 folks total on staff. Really? I see complete media deception. I see the future exhibiting misappropriate of funds, purely based on intuition. We all need money to live, right?! We all have needs. Can't anyone else see this?

Yes, I've read all of the posts on from this Seattle Times article, and everyone wishes him well, and is hoping for the best. Frankly, I see this as a vessel of self-employment for Ryan, not remotely changing lives, in a so called, 'scholarship" model.

I'm all about second chances! Absolutely! But...."a tree is known by their fruit".

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...eres-show-in-prison-gave-me-my-humanity-back/

Hate much M-I?

Here is the Spokesman article on Leaf, his non-profit is not his job. Did Obama tap your phones also?

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/mar/13/from-the-nfl-to-prison-to-recovery-ryan-leaf-share/

Reactions: YakiCoug
Hate much M-I?

Here is the Spokesman article on Leaf, his non-profit is not his job. Did Obama tap your phones also?

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/mar/13/from-the-nfl-to-prison-to-recovery-ryan-leaf-share/
Not sure why you posted this link. This is the correct link.
Remember, I believe in second chances, I'm all for it! It's purely intuition.

And by the way? Who's going to pay off his Credit Card debt for his trip and expenses for the Ellen DeGeneres Show?

Last edited:

If you read the other articles out there about him, you'd know that Leaf has been working for a non-profit called Transcend Recovery Community since he got out of prison. It looks like it's been shelved for now, but from August 2016 to December 2016, he also hosted an online radio show on SBNation. He started this current non-profit in March of last year so it's not like it's something that he started this month as a way to scam Ellen out of money.

I get the skepticism and Leaf certainly said all of the right things right before he was arrested and sent to prison five or so years ago so it's easy to see why you might question him and I don't blame you for that. I'm sure that the positive media attention that he is getting (seeking?) could be just another symptom of his previous problems rearing it's ugly head.

That said, it's possible that going to real prison for an extended length of time has finally brought him into maturity and he really is a changed man. Treating a person like a criminal and not giving them a chance is the surest way to ensure that they end up a criminal again. As long as I don't see any news about Ryan getting arrested or caught using drugs and there is no legitimate sign of his foundation being fraudulent, I'd prefer to work under the assumption that he's doing this for the right reasons.

Reactions: M-I-Coug

MI...what should be done? There are tons of non profits and yet they are profitable. The more profit you make, the more salary you take to make it less profitable.

Look at all the AAU clubs out there. They are registered as non profits because non profits get better gym time.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
If you read the other articles out there about him, you'd know that Leaf has been working for a non-profit called Transcend Recovery Community since he got out of prison. It looks like it's been shelved for now, but from August 2016 to December 2016, he also hosted an online radio show on SBNation. He started this current non-profit in March of last year so it's not like it's something that he started this month as a way to scam Ellen out of money.

I get the skepticism and Leaf certainly said all of the right things right before he was arrested and sent to prison five or so years ago so it's easy to see why you might question him and I don't blame you for that. I'm sure that the positive media attention that he is getting (seeking?) could be just another symptom of his previous problems rearing it's ugly head.

That said, it's possible that going to real prison for an extended length of time has finally brought him into maturity and he really is a changed man. Treating a person like a criminal and not giving them a chance is the surest way to ensure that they end up a criminal again. As long as I don't see any news about Ryan getting arrested or caught using drugs and there is no legitimate sign of his foundation being fraudulent, I'd prefer to work under the assumption that he's doing this for the right reasons.
Flatland. I agree. Good post/reply. Thanks.

MI...what should be done? There are tons of non profits and yet they are profitable. The more profit you make, the more salary you take to make it less profitable.

Look at all the AAU clubs out there. They are registered as non profits because non profits get better gym time.

Isn't that the truth. How about this....regarding Non-Profits and their
Unregulated Financial Abuse: Their $20 million ad campain:
Swedish Medical Center...."Extraordinary Care, Extraordinary Caring"

How about "Swedish Medical Center...."Extraordinary Care, Extaordinay FINANCIAL ABUSE"!

Swedish generated half a billion dollars, ($500,000,000) in net operating revenue in 2015 — a 39% increase from just three years prior!

How about "Swedish Medical Center...."Extraordinary Care, Extaordinay FINANCIAL ABUSE"!

Swedish generated half a billion dollars, ($500,000,000) in net operating revenue in 2015 — a 39% increase from just three years prior!
It is like anything, you don't know until you know. Be skeptical, I get it. Everyone will be waiting for the second shoe to drop..they always will when it comes to Leaf. Would WSU ever hire him? Nope. Who is realty going to lend a third chance to him?

Well how 'bout we start with organized religion and take their tax exempt-non-profit status away...make those corporations start paying their fair share. Then we can go after the hospitals, who actually do save people--literally.

I feel bad for the man.He has made bad decisions for most of his life. I hope he mkes a wise decision for himself.

It is like anything, you don't know until you know. Be skeptical, I get it. Everyone will be waiting for the second shoe to drop..they always will when it comes to Leaf. Would WSU ever hire him? Nope. Who is realty going to lend a third chance to him?

Perhaps you'll find a spot for him at The Money Tree...

Well how 'bout we start with organized religion and take their tax exempt-non-profit status away...make those corporations start paying their fair share. Then we can go after the hospitals, who actually do save people--literally.
The "plus's" and minus's" on the stat sheet may not be what you expect on that concept, fingerdisco. Realize that many, many hospitals are owned by "faith based" organizations. Hence their names like "Sacred Heart" or "Providence". And even those that don't have a faith based name, are many times owned by such religious organizations. So the concept that the "faith based" organizations aren't "saving people--literally" is not true by any stretch.

I also can't count the number of "faith based" organizations that own the shelters and food lines. Goodwill, Volunteers of America, Salvation Army (remember Christmas?) are the ones right off the top of my head. And those are just the Christian ones. So without the tax exempt status, you aren't just slamming the people in the pews or these preachers on Sunday, as you imply. You are hurting the hospitals and you are CERTAINLY hurting the less privileged, less fortunate, and homeless. And that's just in the US.

Now take into consideration that when you say "organized religion", you will also be hitting the Buddhist, Islamic, Hindu and others. These other religions rely on that status as much as the Catholics or "Christians", which is the religion so many make the "default" on this concept.

It's a complicated issue. There are other aspects I'm not touching on.

Last edited:
It's a complicated issue. There are other aspects I'm not touching on.
Never said it wasn't a complicated issue. My point is, if M-I wants to denigrate and criticize the financial practices of non-profit organizations like Swedish hospital while espousing the benefits of faith based "healing" ("Folks, it takes years and years of renewal, and we've personally seen a sincere faith based transformation has a more permanent effect than hoping the demons of irresponsible living, (including lack of financial responsibility) will not return."), then he should also be pointing his finger at the supposed non-profit organized religious corporations such as Catholic or LDS churches, which really do behave like business corporations.

Reactions: Coug95man2
Never said it wasn't a complicated issue. My point is, if M-I wants to denigrate and criticize the financial practices of non-profit organizations like Swedish hospital while espousing the benefits of faith based "healing" ("Folks, it takes years and years of renewal, and we've personally seen a sincere faith based transformation has a more permanent effect than hoping the demons of irresponsible living, (including lack of financial responsibility) will not return."), then he should also be pointing his finger at the supposed non-profit organized religious corporations such as Catholic or LDS churches, which really do behave like business corporations.
Faith based churches are not recognized as the Catholic Church, nor the LDS, (religion). But for this clarification, Faith Based are predominatnly recognized as Non-Denomination Churches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT