ADVERTISEMENT

Should College Football lighten up a bit?

Fab5Coug

Hall Of Fame
Nov 10, 2007
I've been thinking about this for a while. So much of college football is stooped in tradition, could it stand to lighten up a bit and let some other people into the party?

For years, we've been screaming for Gameday to come to Pullman. And for years, they went BACK to LSU, BACK to Michigan, BACK to Oklahoma. Same old, same old show. FINALLY they came to Pullman and guess what, it was great. Probably their best show in years. Why so rigid for so long? They ought to be going to places like Pullman every few weeks.

All this talk about the Minshew and the Heisman. I think we all know well enough, it will go to Bama's QB, or the kid from Oklahoma. I mean, what Heisman winners have been from non traditional powers? Marriotta maybe? Maybe Lamar Jackson? RGIII? You probably have to go all the way back to Ty Detmer or Andre Ware to get a truly non power team Heisman trophy winner. Why not give it to a kid like Minshew that is a great and unique story. What, is Alabama or Oklahoma's trophy case gonna take a big hit not getting their dozenth Heisman trophy?

And what about UCF? Why not just let them in the playoff? They're a great story and have won, what, 20-some games in a row? They get in and either they prove it, or they get stomped by Bama (which anyone else probably will anyway) and they'll finally shut up about it. Again, so it's unfair to Notre Dame or Gerogia or Oklahoma? Boo hoo. They'll be back next year anyway.

Sorry, just kind of a rant I've been thinking about. Meant to be taken a bit tongue in cheek. These power schools have a billion built in advantages. Is it the end of the world if they miss out on ONE Heisman trophy or ONE playoff appearance?

I've been thinking about this for a while. So much of college football is stooped in tradition, could it stand to lighten up a bit and let some other people into the party?

For years, we've been screaming for Gameday to come to Pullman. And for years, they went BACK to LSU, BACK to Michigan, BACK to Oklahoma. Same old, same old show. FINALLY they came to Pullman and guess what, it was great. Probably their best show in years. Why so rigid for so long? They ought to be going to places like Pullman every few weeks.

All this talk about the Minshew and the Heisman. I think we all know well enough, it will go to Bama's QB, or the kid from Oklahoma. I mean, what Heisman winners have been from non traditional powers? Marriotta maybe? Maybe Lamar Jackson? RGIII? You probably have to go all the way back to Ty Detmer or Andre Ware to get a truly non power team Heisman trophy winner. Why not give it to a kid like Minshew that is a great and unique story. What, is Alabama or Oklahoma's trophy case gonna take a big hit not getting their dozenth Heisman trophy?

And what about UCF? Why not just let them in the playoff? They're a great story and have won, what, 20-some games in a row? They get in and either they prove it, or they get stomped by Bama (which anyone else probably will anyway) and they'll finally shut up about it. Again, so it's unfair to Notre Dame or Gerogia or Oklahoma? Boo hoo. They'll be back next year anyway.

Sorry, just kind of a rant I've been thinking about. Meant to be taken a bit tongue in cheek. These power schools have a billion built in advantages. Is it the end of the world if they miss out on ONE Heisman trophy or ONE playoff appearance?

There are billions of dollars at stake. TV revenue, donations, ticket sales, etc. The rich stay rich by making sure the poor stay poor. Open the door a crack, and somebody like BYU gets a natty.

But yes, this season is shaping up to be magical.

GameDay in Pullman is a great example of what you are talking about. As for the Heisman, I'd love to see it just be given to a QB every year and a new award be given for the best overall player. Someone like Houston's DE, who never really stood a chance.

Or maybe create a new award just for the traditional cookie cutter formula we've seen over the last twenty or so years, so the Heisman can go to the player it was originally intended. Call the new the Saban Award. (Trophy can be made out of plastic). When MacCaffrey (sp?) lost out, I began to lose interest in the Heisman.

And speaking of billions of dollars, we are long overdue for an 8-team playoff. P5 Conference champs play in, so it really adds another five teams. Three spots for the what-ifs and If-only's. If you can't be one of those 13, do you really have a legitimate claim?

Don't know if it will ever happen. Don't know if the big dollars will finally separate us from Leach. Just gonna enjoy the ride we are on for now.

But something's gotta give.

There are billions of dollars at stake. TV revenue, donations, ticket sales, etc. The rich stay rich by making sure the poor stay poor. Open the door a crack, and somebody like BYU gets a natty.

But yes, this season is shaping up to be magical.

The UCF example was maybe a bit extreme, although I really don't think they would fare all that worse vs Bama than anyone else.

But the Heisman? Come on. Loosen up a bit voters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT