ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Day Updates

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
6:14 am PT - LOI from DB Chau Smith is in.

7:15 a.m. PT - LOI from DB Alphonse Oywak is in

9:03 a.m. PT - LOI from WR Mike Pettway is in.

10:39 a.m. PT - LOI from JUCO DL Antonio Pule is in.

10:58 a.m. PT - LOI from DL Fa'alili Fa'amoe of American Samoa is in.

11:11 a.m. PT - LOI from WR Jay Wilkerson is in. He had been a Hawaii commit.

10:06 a.m. PT - PWO Tristan Souza confirms he'll play for WSU

10:19 a.m. - PWO WR Riley Jenkins has sent his paperwork to WSU

Last edited:
Reactions: taf88
WSU signed 6 scholarship players today to give them 23 for the 2020 class. Presumably, one scholarship is being held for grad transfer DB Phillip Powell from South Dakota.

What, exactly, does preferred walk on mean?
Basically a recruited walk on. Typically walk ons have to “try out” and there’s a certain number of slots for non scholarship players. A PWO is a guy that they’ve said we’d love to have you on the team we just don’t have a scholly for you now. But if you are what we think you are you can earn one.

Basically a recruited walk on. Typically walk ons have to “try out” and there’s a certain number of slots for non scholarship players. A PWO is a guy that they’ve said we’d love to have you on the team we just don’t have a scholly for you now. But if you are what we think you are you can earn one.

I think a "preferred walk on" is virtually guaranteed a roster spot as long as they avoid off the field issues. The other walk-ons, recruited and otherwise, are taking a risk that they'll be granted a roster slot when they enroll at WSU. I wasn't sure that there are a limited number of spots for walk-ons, but according to a BYU FAQ that I found, it's 20.

I thought we totaled 19 on the early date; less one to Miami after Leach left; less one because a kid counted in the 2019 class; for a total of 17. That left 8 spots. Yes?

What, exactly, does preferred walk on mean?

Some walk ons go to fall camp. Some don't. My take on it is that everyone is walking on... preferred means you're going to camp.

You can have tons of walk ons. You can only bring so many to camp. If my memory serves me correctly...

I thought we totaled 19 on the early date; less one to Miami after Leach left; less one because a kid counted in the 2019 class; for a total of 17. That left 8 spots. Yes?

They can sign up to 25 if they have the spots available.

You signing math is correct. Not sure who counted toward the 25 from 2019. McIntosh took Jamir Thomas's place because of grades. Trey Davis might have also been placed on scholarship before getting booted. We also might be giving Powell a schollie as a grad transfer. So we have 1-2 more spots.

Some walk ons go to fall camp. Some don't. My take on it is that everyone is walking on... preferred means you're going to camp.

You can have tons of walk ons. You can only bring so many to camp. If my memory serves me correctly...
Speaking of walk-ons...maybe that 6-8 olineman Jaylen kid accepts a PWO.

Do PWOs get to eat at training table ? I thought so, but not 100% certain on that.

Do PWOs get to eat at training table ? I thought so, but not 100% certain on that.
No, at least they couldn't before. My nephew was a PWO good enough to make the 2 deeps. I gave him a bunch of money so he could hit the training table.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT