ADVERTISEMENT

soccer observations

kayak15

Hall Of Fame
Apr 17, 2012
Mercer Island
Caught both of the soccer games this weekend.

As another thread noted, our girls dominated Montana. 26 shots on goal by us versus only three by the Grizzlies. Other than our control of the game, what really stood out to me was the crowd. Over 2800 in the stadium. Standing room only. And the grass slope was also packed with another 400-500 attendees. Another couple hundred were located in the outdoor dining area overlooking the field and in the dormitories with sight of the game.

The Sunday game versus James Madison was a bit strange. Final score was 6-3 in favor of the Cougs but that does not reflect how the game really went. We were ahead 5-0 after 27 minutes-a goal every five minutes or so- and Shulenberger started putting in the reserves. And by reserves, I mean the deep reserves. Freshmen/freshwomen. Kids only a couple of months from high school and not yet really in sync with the rest of their teammates. The mass influx of new blood showed and the Cougs seemed to lose their mojo a bit. JMU scored 3 out of the final 4 goals but the outcome was never in doubt after the initial 27 minute onslaught.

The Coug ladies are going through their non-conference schedule like a hot knife through butter. That will come to a halt when they enter a grueling conference schedule but so-far-so-good. Our girls are good, really good. Prior to the weekend they were ranked #12 or #13. Do not have any idea how the teams ahead of them fared but they are awfully close to being in the top ten nationally.

Another note- Some of the new first year recruits look quite promising. I think that Shulenberger and his staff have an excellent eye for talent and have done well recruiting so far.

Surprised that Kowalchuk isn’t playing. Read she was our top recruit. Wondering if she’s hurt.

Caught both of the soccer games this weekend.

As another thread noted, our girls dominated Montana. 26 shots on goal by us versus only three by the Grizzlies. Other than our control of the game, what really stood out to me was the crowd. Over 2800 in the stadium. Standing room only. And the grass slope was also packed with another 400-500 attendees. Another couple hundred were located in the outdoor dining area overlooking the field and in the dormitories with sight of the game.

The Sunday game versus James Madison was a bit strange. Final score was 6-3 in favor of the Cougs but that does not reflect how the game really went. We were ahead 5-0 after 27 minutes-a goal every five minutes or so- and Shulenberger started putting in the reserves. And by reserves, I mean the deep reserves. Freshmen/freshwomen. Kids only a couple of months from high school and not yet really in sync with the rest of their teammates. The mass influx of new blood showed and the Cougs seemed to lose their mojo a bit. JMU scored 3 out of the final 4 goals but the outcome was never in doubt after the initial 27 minute onslaught.

The Coug ladies are going through their non-conference schedule like a hot knife through butter. That will come to a halt when they enter a grueling conference schedule but so-far-so-good. Our girls are good, really good. Prior to the weekend they were ranked #12 or #13. Do not have any idea how the teams ahead of them fared but they are awfully close to being in the top ten nationally.

Another note- Some of the new first year recruits look quite promising. I think that Shulenberger and his staff have an excellent eye for talent and have done well recruiting so far.

Thanks for this. Is the soccer field update all completed now? How's the facility look?

Thanks for this. Is the soccer field update all completed now? How's the facility look?
As far as I know, it's finished. No current construction within view. Looks fine. Not spectacular but quite functional and as well situated as could be wished for on campus. The only addition that I can foresee as possible is increased seating. The Montana game was filled to overflowing and the JMU attendance looked to me to be at about 70% capacity. With increasing popularity of soccer and if Shulenberger and staff can continue to maintain or even increase the team quality perhaps more seating may be an issue but that is probably in the distant or not-so-distant future. Chun and Schulz have enough on their plate today to deal with. Overall, the only concern that I have now is someone making Shulenberger and crew an offer they cannot refuse a la the Godfather. Surely others have noted our recent success and I can foresee that becoming another item on Chun's plate in the future.

Reactions: random soul
Surprised that Kowalchuk isn’t playing. Read she was our top recruit. Wondering if she’s hurt.
No idea. She made a cameo appearance during the Montana game Friday night. Nine minutes. Did not play against JMU. Not aware of the reason. One explanation that comes to mind is that Shulenberger was playing so many first year girls in that game that perhaps he just decided to leave Kowalchuk on the bench because she had already seen action once during the weekend series and he was running out of possible substitution numbers which I believe are eleven per game. She was healthy Friday evening and odds are that she was O.K. Sunday afternoon. All speculation on my part with no real knowledge of her health. You are right in that she and Frimpong-Ellertson are the two gems of this recruiting class.

edit: Just watched Shulenberger's post Montana interview. He stated that their were no injuries to any Cougs during the game. Sounded as if Kowalchuk was O.K. following the game.

Last edited:
As far as I know, it's finished. No current construction within view. Looks fine. Not spectacular but quite functional and as well situated as could be wished for on campus. The only addition that I can foresee as possible is increased seating. The Montana game was filled to overflowing and the JMU attendance looked to me to be at about 70% capacity. With increasing popularity of soccer and if Shulenberger and staff can continue to maintain or even increase the team quality perhaps more seating may be an issue but that is probably in the distant or not-so-distant future. Chun and Schulz have enough on their plate today to deal with. Overall, the only concern that I have now is someone making Shulenberger and crew an offer they cannot refuse a la the Godfather. Surely others have noted our recent success and I can foresee that becoming another item on Chun's plate in the future.

Soccer had a revolving door of coaches for a few years, but I hope they're able to keep Shulenberger for a long while. It's been WSU's most consistent program probably the past 10 seasons, if not longer.

Soccer had a revolving door of coaches for a few years, but I hope they're able to keep Shulenberger for a long while. It's been WSU's most consistent program probably the past 10 seasons, if not longer.
Unfortunately, this is true. Other P5 schools have long raided the successful WSU soccer program. Tobias, Potter, and McAlpine all left.

I wouldn't rush to put in more seats. Its cool to sell out and have that atmosphere as opposed to looking at a bunch of empty bleachers, even if the actual number of fans might be more.

I wouldn't rush to put in more seats. Its cool to sell out and have that atmosphere as opposed to looking at a bunch of empty bleachers, even if the actual number of fans might be more.
Agreed. Chun has more imminent financial needs at this time. Maybe some day that will be possible and necessary but until then the overflow can be seated on the grass slope, dorms etc.

Agreed. Chun has more imminent financial needs at this time. Maybe some day that will be possible and necessary but until then the overflow can be seated on the grass slope, dorms etc.

Had an opportunity to speak w/a couple B’ball coaches.
They’re very excited to be in Pullman, and by all accounts the new clubhouse is breaking ground within 4-6 weeks.
I like this hire of Green and by all accounts he is a program changer.

Had an opportunity to speak w/a couple B’ball coaches.
They’re very excited to be in Pullman, and by all accounts the new clubhouse is breaking ground within 4-6 weeks.
I like this hire of Green and by all accounts he is a program changer.
He has reached out to my nephew in Texas and is going to be in SC to watch him and others in a showcase tournament next weekend.

Thanks, Kayak!

It is nice when the deep reserves can get some PT. Always feels good to get on the field when you have been working hard.

It will be interesting to see how we do in League.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT