ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer questions

kayak15

Hall Of Fame
Apr 17, 2012
Mercer Island
I couldn't watch much of the game due to medical appointments. But in what little that I could watch I didn't hear Gomera-Stevens' name mentioned. Anybody know why? Injury, yellow card accumulation?

So who do they play next and when?

I couldn't watch much of the game due to medical appointments. But in what little that I could watch I didn't hear Gomera-Stevens' name mentioned. Anybody know why? Injury, yellow card accumulation?

So who do they play next and when?

Don’t know about Gomera-Stevens.

But WSU plays Florida on Sunday (19th) at 11AM our time (Pacific time). Florida beat South Florida 1-0 to advance and meet the Cougs.

Seems like we have a good team no matter who is the coach. Hasn't there been somewhat of a coaching carousel?

Last edited:
Seems like we have a good team no matter who is the coach. Hasn't there been somewhat of a coaching carousl?

Yeah that’s been a bit of an issue going back quite a while. Luckily we have actually maintained, or improved, the program during that time.

Part of the problem was always facilities. But the lower soccer field has undergone a complete transformation, from an intramural level field, to a real nice facility. And we now seem to get decent crowds, who are knowledgeable and enthusiastic.

Those things help greatly. They give a coach GREAT things to “sell” a prospect on, especially when linked to the history of success with WSU soccer.

This particular Coug soccer team is built around very solid goalkeeping, tough physical defense, and opportunistic scoring. Coincidentally that is how most successful playoff/tournament soccer is played, even at the highest levels. Of course there are exceptions to that. But it mostly holds true.

So big congrats to the team and coaching staff. And let’s hope the coach/staff stay a good long time and build us into a true power. The northwest, including some Canadian players, has the talent to supply that run, supplemented by excellent players from other areas.

Go Cougs!

Yeah that’s been a bit of an issue going back quite a while. Luckily we have actually maintained, or improved, the program during that time.

Part of the problem was always facilities. But the lower soccer field has undergone a complete transformation, from an intramural level field, to a real nice facility. And we now seem to get decent crowds, who are knowledgeable and enthusiastic.

Those things help greatly. They give a coach GREAT things to “sell” a prospect on, especially when linked to the history of success with WSU soccer.

This particular Coug soccer team is built around very solid goalkeeping, tough physical defense, and opportunistic scoring. Coincidentally that is how most successful playoff/tournament soccer is played, even at the highest levels. Of course there are exceptions to that. But it mostly holds true.

So big congrats to the team and coaching staff. And let’s hope the coach/staff stay a good long time and build us into a true power. The northwest, including some Canadian players, has the talent to supply that run, supplemented by excellent players from other areas.

Go Cougs!

The current team has 13 freshmen, 7 sophomores, and only four seniors. This would certainly seem to bode well for the immediate future.

Seems like we have a good team no matter who is the coach. Hasn't there been somewhat of a coaching carousel?
Too lazy to look it up but I seem to recall four coaches in five years. One guy left for Oklahoma primarily because of facilities. McAlpine went to USC for access to local talent and also probably facilities. Won the national title there last year. The next guy also did a good job but left after one year due to family issues. Then came Shulenberger who has been doing a great job of recruiting and coaching and we finally have decent facilities.

This raises a question in my mind. Who is responsible for selecting these good coaches? The US is still behind the curve on quality coaching in soccer. I doubt that Moos was a soccer guru. Maybe he had access to someone who is. A completely uninformed and wild guess- Peter Fewing, currently HC at Seattle U and holder of a national title or more. That is the mind that I would pick if I were Wazzu's AD. Probably way off base regarding Fewing but somebody is providing damn good advice in this matter.

Also it will be interesting to see if Overland can recover from her injuries. I'll venture to say that we will be rated fairly highly in the preseason polls next year. If Overland is back to near normal, we should be off to the races.

SEC+ Network again. I don't have that package but will have to see about an upgrade.

Too lazy to look it up but I seem to recall four coaches in five years. One guy left for Oklahoma primarily because of facilities. McAlpine went to USC for access to local talent and also probably facilities. Won the national title there last year. The next guy also did a good job but left after one year due to family issues. Then came Shulenberger who has been doing a great job of recruiting and coaching and we finally have decent facilities.

This raises a question in my mind. Who is responsible for selecting these good coaches? The US is still behind the curve on quality coaching in soccer. I doubt that Moos was a soccer guru. Maybe he had access to someone who is. A completely uninformed and wild guess- Peter Fewing, currently HC at Seattle U and holder of a national title or more. That is the mind that I would pick if I were Wazzu's AD. Probably way off base regarding Fewing but somebody is providing damn good advice in this matter.

Also it will be interesting to see if Overland can recover from her injuries. I'll venture to say that we will be rated fairly highly in the preseason polls next year. If Overland is back to near normal, we should be off to the races.

I remember back to the mid 90’s and Lisa Gozley. I think she lead the Cougs to their first ever NCAA tourney spot. The sport was only added in 1989, I think?

She was the second Coug head coach (Lisa Frazier was the first) and recruited my middle daughter right before Lisa left to follow her husband back east, to pursue his business and family concerns. She was the coach for about four years.

Dan Tobias took over for her. We didn’t hear anything at all from him regarding our daughter’s recruitment. But every coach has their own connections and targets, so that was OK. My daughter went to school in So Cal, started on varsity all four years, went to the tourney three out of those four years and was team captain her senior year. So no regrets there. Got her degree in biochemistry and molecular biology, too.

Anyway, Tobias was hired away to Arizona by Livengood.

And I believe Matt Potter was the next coach? He was hired maybe about 2003?

Matt was an interesting guy. He had played in England as a youth, in Watford’s system. They were not a powerhouse by any means. Main claim to fame, aside from finally making the Premier league a few years back (for a short run), was that one of their chief supporters, and minority owners, is Elton John.

But Matt was a guy who left because he wasn’t happy with facilities,etc. Among his complaints were inadequate lights for the field and no support facilities there at lower soccer fields. I think he may have been the one who left for Oklahoma?

IIRC, Mc Alpine was the guy to follow Potter? He had a really good run for the Cougs but it wasn’t long before USC hired him away.

Then came the guy who was there only a year and left under somewhat mysterious circumstances. It was said to be “understandable family related matters” but nothing more was said, that I ever heard. Personal privacy is absolutely OK by me. I guess it’s only curiosity about such a quick departure that made me scratch my head on that one? In the end it’s none of my business, anyway.

He was replaced by the current coach, Schulenberger. He’s taken the Cougs to the tourney in two out of the three years he’s been the coach. And this years team has gone further than any other. It’s loaded with YOUNG players, so we can all hope this is only the start of a great run.

Watching a number of games over the years, I have to admit to scratching my head over some of the aspects of play these past couple of years. But you can’t argue with success.

Like I said before, great goalkeeping, real solid physical defense, and opportunistic scoring has taken some teams at the very highest levels of the sport a long, long ways for many years.

And the Cougs are proving that once again!

As for who has given advice on which coach to hire? I know there have been more than one AD since the sport was added in 1989. I believe one of the women in the ADept (maybe Saneholtz?) was given a lot of responsibility in that direction, over the years. Who did they go to, in the soccer community, for advice? Pete Fewing would be a great one to consult (he recruited my son for Seattle U and is a super nice guy, as well as a VERY sharp soccer guy) but I kinda doubt Pete has had anything to do with WSU soccer, even in an advisory role. Lots of sharp folks around, who know the game locally and nationwide, in the northwest, though. A lot of it is who you know, as it is in anything.........

Go Cougs!

As far as the guy who left after one year and whose name I cannot remember, I seem to vaguely recall that his wife had medical problems and needed access to a major hospital. Pullman Regional or whatever it is called couldn't quite cut the mustard. Other than that, all I recall is that he was from the North Carolina area. Good coach but things just didn't work out for him and his family. You are correct in the progression. It was Potter, McAlpine, Mr. X and now Shulenberger.

You're quite correct in putting "young" in capital letters. Despite our overall nice but unimpressive record, barely over 50% wins, this has been a very enjoyable season. Next year should be even better barring unforeseen difficulties. This year's season is not over yet but I am already anxious to see what ensues in 2018.

Didn't mean to suggest that Fewing was in an unpaid consultant status. It is just that if I were thrust into the AD's position and needed a soccer coach, I would invite Peter out for a lunch or just a coffee or beer and discuss the matter with him informally. In fact, if he were amenable to leaving the Seattle area I would offer him the job. He would be my first choice but my impression is that he has a few irons in the fire in Seattle and would be reluctant to leave.

Also would drop by the Sounders and have a chat with their scouting department. The soccer community appears to me to be far less insular than the football, basketball, etc. folks. We are still in the "grow the game" mode in the US and those in the profession are usually eager to advise and encourage improvements as long as there is no adverse effect upon themselves.

As far as the guy who left after one year and whose name I cannot remember, I seem to vaguely recall that his wife had medical problems and needed access to a major hospital. Pullman Regional or whatever it is called couldn't quite cut the mustard. Other than that, all I recall is that he was from the North Carolina area. Good coach but things just didn't work out for him and his family. You are correct in the progression. It was Potter, McAlpine, Mr. X and now Shulenberger.

You're quite correct in putting "young" in capital letters. Despite our overall nice but unimpressive record, barely over 50% wins, this has been a very enjoyable season. Next year should be even better barring unforeseen difficulties. This year's season is not over yet but I am already anxious to see what ensues in 2018.

Didn't mean to suggest that Fewing was in an unpaid consultant status. It is just that if I were thrust into the AD's position and needed a soccer coach, I would invite Peter out for a lunch or just a coffee or beer and discuss the matter with him informally. In fact, if he were amenable to leaving the Seattle area I would offer him the job. He would be my first choice but my impression is that he has a few irons in the fire in Seattle and would be reluctant to leave.

Also would drop by the Sounders and have a chat with their scouting department. The soccer community appears to me to be far less insular than the football, basketball, etc. folks. We are still in the "grow the game" mode in the US and those in the profession are usually eager to advise and encourage improvements as long as there is no adverse effect upon themselves.

Understand about what you were saying with Pete Fewing.

Cliff McGrath (Uncle Nubby, longtime SPU coach, with multiple titles to his name. My son worked a number of years at his soccer camp when it was up at Ft Casey, on Whidbey Island. Probably the biggest and best around for many years) is another long time local soccer legend who is a helluva good guy and is nationally respected. He’s another resource I would consult if the need arose.

The Sounders are all about growing the game. That’s for sure. They just lost their chief scout, Kurt Schmidt, to the LA Galaxy. Of course his dad is their new head coach, Siggi Schmidt..

But, their Technical Director/Director of Soccer Operations, is none other than Chris Henderson. His nephew (Ryan) is a true frosh walk on kicker on the football team. Chris played college ball at UCLA but he’s part of the Coug family now, with his nephew on board the Coug express! Ryan’s dad (Sean) is a former pro player and long time top local (WWash) coach, as well.

Like I have said, a lot of it is who you know and what connections you have!

The Hendersons alone have serious national and international soccer connections and also now strong WSU connections, too!

I'm an old person so it's not my fault. That's my excuse. How could I forget about McGrath with his national titles at Seattle Pacific? Also forgot about Henderson's nephew on the football team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT