ADVERTISEMENT

Some good

chugspig

Hall Of Fame
Nov 5, 2011
Hillinski to Tae Martin looks good for a while. I think we will go back to seeing a fun offense for a while even if we lose more games...

Ok. For the season it was great winning 9 games.... with wins over SC, Stanford, Oregon and Boise State! All, quality wins! Now.... as far as Leach and his total resistance to use any type of running game...... the jig is up Leach. Everyone knows you are going to pass.... they know how to defend the air raid..... this offense was new and fresh when it came out, but now teams know how to defend it and with a good team/talent, it isn't that hard. Bring pressure, drop 7 or 8, keep everything underneath/short... recipe for beating WSU. Happened last night. I would like to have seen WSU turn to the run game last night with Luke out.... to help Helinski get settled more... should have also happened in the Apple Cup game. Not running the ball is a plan to lose games that might have been won. Times, they are a changing, you might want to tweek the air raid, with more runs to keep defenses honest/guessing.

I am trying to remind myself that we won 9 games. We won 9 games. We won 9 games even with a pedestrian offense at the end of the season offense and a defense with an identity of a speed d, but a reality of a not-so-fun-da-mental d. It's not a lot of fun when the da mental part of the d game is out wack. We won 9 games. We won 9 games...

Reactions: ATACFD
Do you guys really think that only now opposing DC's are figuring out conceptually how to beat the Air Raid?

They figured it out long before Leach had his best season at Texas Tech.

It's not hard to know what to do, the hard part is to have defensive players that are far more physically gifted, and then are well coached and have enough time to practice the particular defensive scheme prior to playing Leach.

Leach consistently win's most his games because either; 1. The other team isn't physically that superior or 2. The other team is physically superior but in a busy/hard schedule doesn't have enough time to prepare for the Air Raid, or 3. The opposing DC is arrogant enough that he thinks he can win without changing his usual game plan...this happens during the season often enough that Leach is consistently a 8-9 win season coach.

When the other team has time to game plan and has physically superior athletes they almost always win, and sometimes by a huge margin. This happens often enough that Leach historically is rarely a 10+ win season coach (given the physical abilities of his offensive players).

As any good gambler would do, Leach is smartly playing the odd's in his favor. He knows his mostly three star offensive players will win more games in the Air Raid even though they will rarely beat a smart DC with a full roster of 5 star player's and an extra week or two to prepare for the Air Raid, simply because that combination doesn't occur often during a season.

Why doesn't Leach change his offensive strategy to try and become a 10+ winning coach? Because he knows he doesn't have a stable full of 5 star offensive players, and the odds have shown that without a roster full of at least four star players doing something different almost always leads to a lower winning percentage. Just look at where Leach's offensive teams rank historically, not the top but better than most. What does that tell you?

Why then doesn't Leach just go out and consistently fill his offensive roster with 5 star players?...not going to happen in Lubbock, TX even when they paid a lot of money to bring in national title winning SEC head coach Tubberville, and it ain't going to happen in Pullman. I love living in a rural area as much as any of you ( I live in Wyoming) but there's a reason why there aren't a lot of people living here.

Is Leach stupid for doing what he does? I wish I was smart enough to make 2-3 million a year while living in a rural area.

If you were a professional gambler earning 2-3 million a year by winning roughly 65-70% of the time, would you change in an attempt to win more? Really?

Last edited:
Very well said Black Bart

"Do you guys really think that only now opposing DC's are figuring out conceptually how to beat the Air Raid?

They figured it out long before Leach had his best season at Texas Tech.

It's not hard to know what to do, the hard part is to have defensive players that are far more physically gifted, and then are well coached and have enough time to practice the particular defensive scheme prior to playing Leach.

He knows his mostly three star offensive players will win more games in the Air Raid even though they will rarely beat a smart DC with a full roster of 5 star player's and an extra week or two to prepare for the Air Raid, simply because that combination doesn't occur often during a season."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT