ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds Like Chun And Schulz have given up!

I included SDSU in my list because we are leading in that game 24-14 in the third quarter. Because that team didn't know how to win....they relaxed and let SDSU obliterate them in the second half and gave up 28 straight points. Roughing the kicker penalty, a busted 64 yard run for a TD and a late pick in desperation time took a close game and made it fugly. FWIW, Lobbestael had a QBR of 39.0 in that game. Oof. That team had no idea how to win.
That was definitely his worst game. But the defense was non-existent in the 2nd half too, so it's tough to really say Tuel makes the difference.

Were you aware that the Lobster played better in 2011, than Jeff Tuel did at any point in his career, bar none? Including under Mike Leach! A QBR of 138 is pretty solid, significant better than Ward did last year. If Tuel can only throw 8 TDs (8 Int) with a QBR of 119 in the Air Raid, what make you believe he was going to throw 20+ TD under the Wulff system and generate a QBR of 138+?

More Wulff mythology possibly!
I was/am very aware of almost everything that has happened at anytime with Cougar Football.

Not dissing the Lobster. Tuel was better.

In the Wulff system... it was set for Tuel. They expected/planned to have him.

I was/am very aware of almost everything that has happened at anytime with Cougar Football.

Tuel was definitely more talented. But Lobbestael played better in the WUlff system, overall.

Tuel was probably afraid of getting his neck/back/leg broken. Lobbestael survived it, and wasn't afraid anymore.

That was definitely his worst game. But the defense was non-existent in the 2nd half too, so it's tough to really say Tuel makes the difference.

I don't believe that Tuel would have made the difference. We gave up 191 yards rushing to Ronnie Hillman. If you give up 191 yards rushing to a team...let alone one running back...you don't deserve to win.

Not to diss on Jeff because the kid was an absolute warrior, and was physically gifted, but under Wulff he had gotten the living shit beat out of him for so long, by the time 2011 came along he simply could no longer pull the trigger. The Lobster avoided much of that constant abuse, and wasn't suffering from the same level of on-field battle fatigue. Halliday was the same, he threw for nearly 500 yards twice in 2011, and single handedly won the ASU game because, in large part, he had never taken an constant arse kicking that Jeff had to endure in 2009 and 2010. Sadly even with an elite QB coach in Leach, in an offense made for QB success, Jeff could only muster 8 TDs as the starter in the "air raid," while his back up, Halliday, threw 15 on more than 40 fewer attempts.

As for a Wulff offense designed to take advantage of Tuel's strength, the kid won one Pac-12 game under Wulff in his entire career, against Oregon State, and in that game he passed the ball 15 times for 157 yards and 1 TD. Paul Wulff couldn't design an offense to take advantage of Patrick Mahomes' strengths, let alone Jeff Tuel's.

Not to diss on Jeff because the kid was an absolute warrior, and was physically gifted, but under Wulff he had gotten the living shit beat out of him for so long, by the time 2011 came along he simply could no longer pull the trigger. The Lobster avoided much of that constant abuse, and wasn't suffering from the same level of on-field battle fatigue. Halliday was the same, he threw for nearly 500 yards twice in 2011, and single handedly won the ASU game because, in large part, he had never taken an constant arse kicking that Jeff had to endure in 2009 and 2010. Sadly even with an elite QB coach in Leach, in an offense made for QB success, Jeff could only muster 8 TDs as the starter in the "air raid," while his back up, Halliday, threw 15 on more than 40 fewer attempts.

As for a Wulff offense designed to take advantage of Tuel's strength, the kid won one Pac-12 game under Wulff in his entire career, against Oregon State, and in that game he passed the ball 15 times for 157 yards and 1 TD. Paul Wulff couldn't design an offense to take advantage of Patrick Mahomes' strengths, let alone Jeff Tuel's.
Lobbestael threw for 2,584 yards and 19 TDs in 2011, in 8 1/2 games. Only 8 INTs.

In Tuel’s only full season (12 games7 under Wulff, he managed 2,780 yards, 18 TDs and 12 INTs.

Seems like the offense was better suited to Lobbestael.

SoCal, I’m starting to get the notion that you’re not much of a Paul Wulff fan

SoCal, I’m starting to get the notion that you’re not much of a Paul Wulff fan
What makes you say that? Hate isn't a strong enough word. I need to explain myself.
If only the man had said, I need to do a better, or we are losing, that's on me! You know, was a stand up guy. I would still be admiring the guy, the lynch pin on our greatest o-line ever. But no, we get BS claims and excuses that just don't withstand scrutiny. He wasn't just a bad, but a low character coach. When Mike Price left UTEP he apologized for not winning enough games (despite being their winningest coach). When Wulff left WSU, what did he say? Basically, we lacked integrity! And many fans still love him. I just don't get it.

What makes you say that? Hate isn't a strong enough word. I need to explain myself.
If only the man had said, I need to do a better, or we are losing, that's on me! You know, was a stand up guy. I would still be admiring the guy, the lynch pin on our greatest o-line ever. But no, we get BS claims and excuses that just don't withstand scrutiny. He wasn't just a bad, but a low character coach. When Mike Price left UTEP he apologized for not winning enough games (despite being their winningest coach). When Wulff left WSU, what did he say? Basically, we lacked integrity! And many fans still love him. I just don't get it.

I don't think that there are many fans that "love" Paul Wulff. I'm glad that he's gone and I agree that he acted like a spoiled child in far too many situations, particularly the departure, but I don't hate him the way that many do. Not hating him doesn't mean that I love him.

Reactions: Coug90
I don't think that there are many fans that "love" Paul Wulff. I'm glad that he's gone and I agree that he acted like a spoiled child in far too many situations, particularly the departure, but I don't hate him the way that many do. Not hating him doesn't mean that I love him.
I don’t know anyone that loves him as a coach. But it’s ok to be glad that he was replaced and still be appreciative of what he gave to WSU on the field. He’s still a great Coug for that alone, and I’m guessing he probably regrets the sniveling on his way out.

Reactions: HCoug
I wasn't referring to you, you aren't a chronic purveyor of the myth that Wulff faced a no win situation and was hard done by WSU at the end. When you think about it, Leach actually faced that situation, 4 straight years of the worst recruiting in school history, a beaten down and dispirited squad. Unless, you buy into the last myth, Wulff left the core of bowl team talent!

In that arms race, did it accomplish anything? We out spent everyone but Cal, and we continued to have bottom wrung recruiting. Cal continued to struggle. Now imagine the alternative. Modest upgrades, kinda like UCLA and USC, with emphasis on liquidity to meet the demands of coaching payrolls. Leach with a war chest to help fight off raiders for assistants. We overspent spent on facilities and then hamstrung Leach's ability to retain staff with the lowest payroll budget in the conference.

Think about it.

Administrators love building monuments to themselves, but hate paying for coaching even though coaching is far more important to success.
The moos legacy, only he didnt habe Phil to pay for it like he did at oregon

I wasn't referring to you, you aren't a chronic purveyor of the myth that Wulff faced a no win situation and was hard done by WSU at the end. When you think about it, Leach actually faced that situation, 4 straight years of the worst recruiting in school history, a beaten down and dispirited squad. Unless, you buy into the last myth, Wulff left the core of bowl team talent!

Frankly, I do believe that Wulff set the table for that bowl team...but as I said before, finishing 6-7 as the highlight of your coaching expertise is a pretty pathetic goal to be setting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT