ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford Site Admin

walzuu

Team Captain
Nov 23, 2016
Reporting Smith has been offered their job. He is hoping for a better offer in the coming days but if it doesn’t come will accept at Stanford. Sounds like he has done multiple interviews in the last week.

I would have thought he’d go to a place with more money. Sure they will pay him will, but with their admission standards NIL doesn’t help a lot. And there won’t be many centers from Africa the meet there standards either. He did mention on the radio that his wife was crying after the the game. I am sure the loss was part of it, but maybe her last game cheering on the Cougs was part of it as well. Who knows what will happen, but changes are coming.

I guess time will tell.

Stanford has tremendous history under Montgomery but such a different environment these days. It's a fit in terms of "Nerdball" at a "nerd" school. The conference blowup, NIL, no transfers all make Stanford a pretty tough gig, but could see it given all our challenges.

Last edited:
I would have thought he’d go to a place with more money. Sure they will pay him will, but with their admission standards NIL doesn’t help a lot. And there won’t be many centers from Africa the meet there standards either. He did mention on the radio that his wife was crying after the the game. I am sure the loss was part of it, but maybe her last game cheering on the Cougs was part of it as well. Who knows what will happen, but changes are coming.

I guess time will tell.
A place with more money? Than Stanford???

Endowment​

Stanford’s $36.5 billion endowment (as of Aug. 31, 2023) provides an enduring source of financial support for fulfillment of the university’s mission of teaching, learning and research

Last edited:
Stanford has tremendous history under Montgomery but such a different environment these days. It's a fit. "Nerdball" at a "nerd" school. The conference blowup, NIL, no transfers all make it a pretty tough gig, but could see it given all our challenges.

No it's not a fit.

1. As mentioned, Altho pay him ok, he Smith, could EASILY get better elsewhere.

2. As mentioned above, admission standards, and lack of NIL, and opposing NIL NO GETTING TRANSFERS, THE TRANSFER PORTAL TRANSFERING STANFORD PLAYERS AWAY, ETC, WOULD KILL HIM, RISK HIM GETTING FIRED IN 1,2,3, ETC YEARS.

3. Because of above he is risking getting FIRED at Stanford. And Stanford will have unrealistic demands, expectation, etc.

4. The ACC will fall apart on his head, and he would be in the position of not being in a Power Conference, etc, again, the similar kind of situation he is in at WSU..

This SITE ADMIN COULD be right, or COULD be spreading rumors, time will tell, we'll see.

But if the Site Admin from Stanford is right, and if Smith does take the job, then thanks, good luck, etc, but the job isn't a good fit for him, and he is making his wife cry, if he leaves, and seems to be forgetting the happy wife adage, and he could EASILY getva BETTER job then Stanford, and because of all the above, would probably be a bad decision to take the Stanford Job, if he were to goto Stanford.

Last edited:

Endowment​

Stanford’s $36.5 billion endowment (as of Aug. 31, 2023) provides an enduring source of financial support for fulfillment of the university’s mission of teaching, learning and research

Stanford uses that money for TEACHING, LEARNING, RESEARCH. It does not spend that money on basketball, etc.

Because of that, saying, implying, meaning, etc, that Stanford does not have a lot of money to Spend on Basketball, etc, is CORRECT.

Endowment​

Yeah, but Stanford keeps clinging to a commitment to academics.

Suckers. Its like they don’t understand what college sports are all about.

Endowment​

You missed the point, world knows Stanford is loaded. Strict admission standard, don’t work well no matter how much you have.

Reporting Smith has been offered their job. He is hoping for a better offer in the coming days but if it doesn’t come will accept at Stanford. Sounds like he has done multiple interviews in the last week.

It sounds like he has NOT done a lot of interviews.

If he had done a lot of interviews, he Smith would probably have a lot more BETTER options then Stanford.

Remember that SO FAR, there is about only about 2,3 jobs out of about 5,6,7 open jobs, SO FAR. And Stanford is one of them. But AFTER the NCAA Tournament, there will probably be about 3 to 5 to 7 more jobs that will open up and about 2,3,4,5 of them, will probably be interested in Smith, and so there would probably be at least 2,3,4,5 total jobs that would be better then Stanford, out of the about 15 total jobs that would open up, be open, after end of NCAA tourny.

It sounds like he has NOT done a lot of interviews.

If he had done a lot of interviews, he Smith would probably have a lot more BETTER options then Stanford.

Remember that SO FAR, there is about only about 2,3 jobs out of about 5,6,7 open jobs, SO FAR. And Stanford is one of them. But AFTER the NCAA Tournament, there will probably be about 3 to 5 to 7 more jobs that will open up and about 2,3,4,5 of them, will probably be interested in Smith, and so there would probably be at least 2,3,4,5 total jobs that would be better then Stanford, out of the about 15 total jobs that would open up, be open, after end of NCAA tourny.
I could be wrong, but I reject the original premise in this thread that Smith has done multiple job interviews this past week. I see him as the kind of guy who wouldn't do anything but focus on his first NCAA tournament appearance and concentrate on preparing the team without any distractions. Now what happens from here is a different story. I'm prepared to lose him but hope he stays.

Glad Cougar

I guess time will tell.
I read a blurb somewhere (Spokesman?) that foreign players can't participate in NIL due to work visa/student visa limitations on income.

Might be the saving grace for college athletics.

Reactions: UberCougars
As mentioned before, he'll be limited on his recruits and who he can bring in. I don't think Stanford Athletics turns its head on admission requirements, regarding GPA. No more 7 footers from Africa.

Although, he might forge a new unprecedented culture, and turn their program around. Only time will tell.

As mentioned before, he'll be limited on his recruits and who he can bring in. I don't think Stanford Athletics turns its head on admission requirements, regarding GPA. No more 7 footers from Africa.

Although, he might forge a new unprecedented culture, and turn their program around. Only time will tell.
GPAs and SATs are so 2020.

A case to be made that 7 foot centers from Africa have been oppressed.

I have a hard time believing that Smith would be interviewing for another job while preparing for the tournament. Too much of a distraction. Now, however, the season is over and it's a different story. I hope he stays but I hope it’s not Stanford if he decides to go because there are better options out there.

Not sure why he would take that. He'll get fired in four years, and the ACC could easily dissolve by then. I don't see any raise overcoming the cost of living. Better off waiting and seeing what jobs come open next year if prospects this year are lacking.

But what do I know.

Reactions: CougEd
guaranteed life changing money, nations leading autism research center, established family friendships, familiar surroundings, NIL/Portal decimation of your current team…

I can.

Not sure why he would take that. He'll get fired in four years, and the ACC could easily dissolve by then. I don't see any raise overcoming the cost of living. Better off waiting and seeing what jobs come open next year if prospects this year are lacking.

But what do I know.
After looking at Furd's W'-L history, maybe not four years but I don't see that program rising to the level of a consistent NCAA tournament participant. But, I should also say that I don't recall Mike Montgomery being that good of a coach, .700 winning percentage, 12 tournament appearances, and three No. 1 seeds.

They can easily double whatever we offer him in our “new extension”. Despite what everyone wants to believe about feel good commitment, if another company offered me 100% raise plus more $ for assistants and talent pool for my squad. You can’t say no.

But what do I know.
Yeah he would be jumping from one conferenc that has uncertainty to another plus his closest league road game besides Cal is in Louisville ... five hours away .

Last edited:
I have a hard time believing that Smith would be interviewing for another job while preparing for the tournament. Too much of a distraction. Now, however, the season is over and it's a different story. I hope he stays but I hope it’s not Stanford if he decides to go because there are better options out there.
You think a 1/2 hour Teams meeting, screened by your agent, from home, is a distraction?

(Imaginary) Headline reads: “Smith to accept new 5 year, $18 mm extension, guaranteed to stay at WSU.”

What would be your immediate reaction?

Why would he take the Stanford job? The answer to these types of questions typically involves where the family prefers to live over the next 4-5 years. If the Smith's are burnt out of Pullman and miss the Bay Area, there's the answer.

Why would he take the Stanford job? The answer to these types of questions typically involves where the family prefers to live over the next 4-5 years. If the Smith's are burnt out of Pullman and miss the Bay Area, there's the answer.
OK. But I think the most likely result of his tenure there would be getting fired. He'll be 55 in June, so maybe he would hang it up after that.

I think moving back to the Bay Area wouldn't be too drastic change for their son. Granted, living in the City v Palo Alto area is different, but still provides that familiarity.

There are 2.5 to 3 million per year reasons

OK. But I think the most likely result of his tenure there would be getting fired. He'll be 55 in June, so maybe he would hang it up after that.
That's what I think too. People are saying they don't think Stanford's a good fit for Smith, but I think it's a great fit based on what little I know about him. He'll continue to recruit system kids, and with the Stanford degree as enticement, he'll continue to do extremely well with foreign players. Stanford isn't a pressure cooker gig either. They'll fire him after 4-5 years if he doesn't get it done, but it'll be a cordial, low scrutiny media job while he's there. His contract will likely be in the $20M range as well.

That's what I think too. People are saying they don't think Stanford's a good fit for Smith, but I think it's a great fit based on what little I know about him. He'll continue to recruit system kids, and with the Stanford degree as enticement, he'll continue to do extremely well with foreign players. Stanford isn't a pressure cooker gig either. They'll fire him after 4-5 years if he doesn't get it done, but it'll be a cordial, low scrutiny media job while he's there. His contract will likely be in the $20M range as well.
I haven't seen that. Challenges with Furd's policy around portal, ACC, NIL. It would be "Nerdball" at a "nerd" school. How is that not a fit?

Yeah he would be jumping from one conferenc that has uncertainty to another plus his closest league road game besides Cal is in Louisville ... five hours away .
It's not out of the question that Stanford ends up back in the Pac-? (along with Cal) if and when the ACC blows up. That would certainly cut down on the travel for road games.

Glad Cougar

It's not out of the question that Stanford ends up back in the Pac-? (along with Cal) if and when the ACC blows up. That would certainly cut down on the travel for road games.

Glad Cougar
I don't see that happening. Stanford won't join a conference with Boise State or Fresno State, and they're two of the bigger remaining West coast programs. Not sure how a rebuilt PacWest conference doesn't include those schools.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
I don't see that happening. Stanford won't join a conference with Boise State or Fresno State, and they're two of the bigger remaining West coast programs. Not sure how a rebuilt PacWest conference doesn't include those schools.
I only mention it because the respected Jon Wilner mentioned it recently. Maybe it was in jest.

Glad Cougar

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT